Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. 06:38 - Mar 15 with 10387 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47578798

Horrific.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:20 - Mar 15 with 3522 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:14 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

"I had little interest in education...barely achieving a passing grade"

If people want to look for the root of this, it's there^^^

Never mind that, what the hecks a ‘kebab removalist’?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:25 - Mar 15 with 3514 viewsGuthrum

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:20 - Mar 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A racist term alluding to the kind of person who runs a kebab shop.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:26 - Mar 15 with 3508 viewsDarth_Koont

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 08:52 - Mar 15 by itfcjoe

Bloke is clearly thick as pigsh*t and because others have tried to better themselves and have bettered him he can't understand it.

A little bit of knowledge being fed to him through social media and dog whistling politicians and worse is a dangerous things, it reinforces his views that he is being punished for being white and that Muslims are taking his land, his opportunities.

It's such arrogance, New Zealand was a colony. He's Australian which was colonised and taken from the people whose land it actually was. The talk of Europe, he's probably never been there.

Hate is stoked, amongst people to thick to know they are being played and this is the result.

Reading the stuff about him he's a hardcore neo-Nazi. But nowadays if you cross over into the alt-right fantasy world of invented news and facts, what's stopping you moving into this territory?

If this was religious fundamentalism, we'd be talking about dangerous undercurrents in the mainstream community that are leading to radicalization and terrorism.

Pronouns: He/Him

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:28 - Mar 15 with 3500 viewsGuthrum

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:26 - Mar 15 by Darth_Koont

Reading the stuff about him he's a hardcore neo-Nazi. But nowadays if you cross over into the alt-right fantasy world of invented news and facts, what's stopping you moving into this territory?

If this was religious fundamentalism, we'd be talking about dangerous undercurrents in the mainstream community that are leading to radicalization and terrorism.

It's pretty much identical. Certainly in practical terms.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:30 - Mar 15 with 3492 viewsSwansea_Blue

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 08:16 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

In answer to your question the roots would be way further back than that.
As I said I agree with the broad sentiment he expresses, cause and effect but the answer requires somehow breaking the cycle in the present rather than spiralling back through history imho.
What do you regard as the start point of "the present hate cycle?" My presumption was that he was meaning Islamic fundamentalist terror leading to right wing nationalist terror but don't know if that would be accurate.......anyway at the moment this is of no great consequence and I was/am not looking for a row!

I blame Winston Churchill - "I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

The roots go back centuries don't they? Presumably the slave trade wouldn't have taken off if whites didn't see themselves as superior to blacks? I wouldn't say that's especially relevant to today, other than the perpetuation of the myth that whites are in someway intellectually or morally superior. That goes back to the 1700s.

I don't know what the starting point of the present rise in the right was. The arguments and thee people have always been there, but the reasons for extra support must be complex - aligned with a recession & slow recovery when people are struggling, ease at which far right groups can spread their message via social media, leading to an increase in far right politicians thereby adding some legitimacy in some people's minds and reinforcing the cycle.

It's a serious threat though. Divide and conquer seems to be the order of the day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:31 - Mar 15 with 3489 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:25 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

Oh, christ

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:43 - Mar 15 with 3439 viewshatch

I see the Bangladesh cricket team turned up to one of the mosques whilst the shooting was underway and ran to retreat to safety. Close call for them too.

RIP
Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:44 - Mar 15 with 3435 viewsSwansea_Blue

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:26 - Mar 15 by Darth_Koont

I was thinking about this in my reply to BDS - I couldn't thik how to articulate it without it becoming politicised (and therefore easily ignored/dismissed by people who do live in this alt-right fantasy world). Agree entirely, it's a spectrum. And whilst obviously very few mainstream alt-right fantasists are going to become shooters/bombers, it's certainly unlocks that door.

I'm still struggling to articulate it in a way that won't be dismissed. But maybe I don't need to, as I think this person has described the point perfectly himself: I've just looked again at the reports and see he's claiming that the person who inspired him the most was Candace Owens, the conservative, Trump-supporting political commentator in the states. That demonstrated the point perfectly imo.

Login to get fewer ads

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:48 - Mar 15 with 3430 viewsWeWereZombies

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:25 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

I have not had a kebab in over two years but the last one was in New Zealand, and having had a fruitless search for a poppy with Remembrance Sunday coming up I was touched that the place had that Kemal Ataturk quote on the wall:

'The heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives on this country's soil! You are in the soil of a friendly country now. Therefore rest in peace. You are side by side with the little Mehmets. The mothers who send their sons to the war! Wipe your tears away. Your sons are in our bosom, are in peace and will be sleeping in peace comfortably. From now on, they have became our sons since they have lost their lives on this land.'

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:58 - Mar 15 with 3393 viewsJ2BLUE

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:10 - Mar 15 by itfcjoe

Yep - probably in bad taste but just following on how this won't be prescribed as terrorism and then taking the US approach to a mass shooting of more guns for everyone

Every news outlet calling it terrorism. The NZ PM calling it terrorism.

I wish people would stop mindlessly repeating this 'it won't be terrorism' myth every time something like this happens. It is always called terrorism if you bother to look.

RIP to the victims.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 10:17 - Mar 15 with 3366 viewsCoachRob

Feel so sorry for the families of those killed, those injured, the witnesses and the emergency workers. Lets hope they receive all the support they need.
Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:07 - Mar 15 with 3313 viewsbluelagos

Justgoogled the term and it seems to refer to the Serbians who ethnically cleansed Bosian Muslims.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:13 - Mar 15 with 3301 viewsSwansea_Blue

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:07 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

Justgoogled the term and it seems to refer to the Serbians who ethnically cleansed Bosian Muslims.

This seems even more appropriate now:

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:25 - Mar 15 with 3289 viewsRyorry

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 08:56 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

Poverty, perceived lack of prospects and being told it's someone else's fault. Unfortunately, none of them particularly easy to deal with (tho erasing government corruption and graft worldwide would go some way to helping with the first two).

Weren't those amongst the things that Adolf whipped his crowds up with? (I know Germany's economic situation was probably primary back then tho).

Absolutely dreadful massacre. I have friends who emigrated to Christchurch a decade or so ago, brings it home all the more.

R.I.P. the 49

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:33 - Mar 15 with 3268 viewsDarth_Koont

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:44 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

I was thinking about this in my reply to BDS - I couldn't thik how to articulate it without it becoming politicised (and therefore easily ignored/dismissed by people who do live in this alt-right fantasy world). Agree entirely, it's a spectrum. And whilst obviously very few mainstream alt-right fantasists are going to become shooters/bombers, it's certainly unlocks that door.

I'm still struggling to articulate it in a way that won't be dismissed. But maybe I don't need to, as I think this person has described the point perfectly himself: I've just looked again at the reports and see he's claiming that the person who inspired him the most was Candace Owens, the conservative, Trump-supporting political commentator in the states. That demonstrated the point perfectly imo.

Indeed. And it's important to point out that she's one of the Turning Point lot which has recently been launched in the UK — and endorsed by a worrying number of our mainstream politicians.

They're slicker and more respectable than the EDL/Britain First/Tommy Robinson lot but that's why they're even more dangerous.

Pronouns: He/Him

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:36 - Mar 15 with 3263 viewsitfcjoe

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 08:43 - Mar 15 by Pendejo

Footage of arrest, brave cops

https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2019/03/15/chilling-footage-from-livestream-of-new-z

He's filmed the attack from a POV video, I've just been sent it. Didn't watch it once he went in the Mosque but he calmly pulls up to it, lets people cross the road in front of him then just walks round to the boot and grabs an extra gun.

It's sickeningly casual, so terrible.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:37 - Mar 15 with 3257 viewsHerbivore

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:25 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

Weren't those amongst the things that Adolf whipped his crowds up with? (I know Germany's economic situation was probably primary back then tho).

Absolutely dreadful massacre. I have friends who emigrated to Christchurch a decade or so ago, brings it home all the more.

R.I.P. the 49

There are some very troubling parallels between the rise of fascism in the 1920s and 30s and the current rise of the far right. I worry we've learnt nothing from history.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:42 - Mar 15 with 3246 viewsnoggin

I haven't seen Stephen Yaxley's condemnation yet. I'm sure one of you can link me to it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:48 - Mar 15 with 3231 viewsZedRodgers

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:44 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

The reaction from that Candace Owens has been disgraceful. I didn't really know much about her to be honest, but she seems to be up there with the worst of them.

Threatening to sue people who point out that somebody who's just killed 49(?) people has cited her as his inspiration. No remorse or condemnation whatsoever.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2019 11:49]

No, not at the moment

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:53 - Mar 15 with 3209 viewsitfcjoe

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:48 - Mar 15 by ZedRodgers

The reaction from that Candace Owens has been disgraceful. I didn't really know much about her to be honest, but she seems to be up there with the worst of them.

Threatening to sue people who point out that somebody who's just killed 49(?) people has cited her as his inspiration. No remorse or condemnation whatsoever.

I know nothing about her, and will elect to keep it that way as he is clearly an utterly vile piece of scum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 12:27 - Mar 15 with 3157 viewsSwansea_Blue

Point of order to myself about Candace Owens - this in an interesting read about how by name dropping her he could be looking to play on the right/left divisions that already exist.

I don't know who the author is, but seems thoughtful and unbiased.

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 12:47 - Mar 15 with 3124 viewsClapham_Junction

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 08:11 - Mar 15 by Herbivore

The problem is that the rise of the far right has, once again, largely been ignored or downplayed. Too often far right hate speech is conflated with 'legitimate concerns' about immigration and Islamic fundamentalism. There are mainstream politicians who occasionally peddle rhetoric that panders to the far right. On the rare occasions I glance at the Mail or the Express it is clear their sole aim is to stoke white, right wing anger at whichever 'other' group is fashionable at the time. No lessons ever seem to get learnt.

I'd go further and say that the main right-wing parties in a few countries (certainly Australia, the UK and the US) have been actively courting the vote of these morons for the past decade or so, as they've realised they can't win elections without them.

Unfortunately this has empowered them to come out the woodwork and made them believe their views are acceptable, not something to keep to themselves.

The answer is for these parties to stop pandering to the morons, but unfortunately I suspect they're unlikely to do so, as it will probably lead to them losing power.
Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 13:13 - Mar 15 with 3075 viewsElderGrizzly

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:42 - Mar 15 by noggin

I haven't seen Stephen Yaxley's condemnation yet. I'm sure one of you can link me to it.

He’s busy crying in court about being chucked out of a pub...

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/tommy-robinson-trial-live-updat
Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 13:21 - Mar 15 with 3058 viewsElderGrizzly

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 11:48 - Mar 15 by ZedRodgers

She’s horrible (polite word) and considered a ‘threat’ alongside people such as Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins etc by security services

The neo-nazi links are coming out now too, this image showing Charlottesville vs Christchurch

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 13:25 - Mar 15 with 3050 viewsSteve_M

Forty people have died in a terrorist attack in New Zealand. on 09:20 - Mar 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It dates back to the Bosnian genocide apparently, referring to Turks so the Serbian murderers..

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024