Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? 10:19 - Mar 17 with 10490 viewsSwailsey

Haven’t driven for 5+ years and the thought of having MOTs etc included is great.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:23 - Mar 17 with 6471 viewsgtsb

Only a mug (me)or rich person buys a brand new car. You lose so much money. Buy a car that's two to three years old. You still get a good motor and you don't lose thousands.
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:24 - Mar 17 with 6459 viewsPendejo

All advice depends on a number of factors;-

Where do you live?
How many miles do you envisage doing weekly?
How many people or how much kit do you need to transport?
Leisure or commuting?

If you lived in London and were a weekend driver I'd say forget it, get minicab when you really need transport and hire if for holidays.

I buy second hand but nearly new [under 3 years] if possible but I drive to / from work and used to have a workshop & mechanics on site... next car maybe a contract hire type affair as all our mechanics were made redundant and they closed the workshop down... retail servicing way more expensive!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:31 - Mar 17 with 6430 viewsSuperblue95

Second hand

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:44 - Mar 17 with 6401 viewsstrikalite

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:31 - Mar 17 by Superblue95

Second hand

If you're not to proud then for about £3k you can get a cracking 10 year old motor with a FSH and decent mileage, because most people trade in purely because they want to be seen in a new or fairly new car..

Example,neighbour had a 58 plate BMW Z4 M series, immaculate, crazy low mileage too, traded it in for a two year old one, which must have cost £25k ish, yeah lovely but she said "yeah, well the other one was 10 years old now"...
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:53 - Mar 17 with 6376 viewshoppy

Might be worth looking at leasing rather than buying on finance.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:59 - Mar 17 with 6370 viewsurbanblue

No brainer in my view ... Avoid debt whenever possible !
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:59 - Mar 17 with 6366 viewsDubtractor

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:23 - Mar 17 by gtsb

Only a mug (me)or rich person buys a brand new car. You lose so much money. Buy a car that's two to three years old. You still get a good motor and you don't lose thousands.

This would be my advice too.

MOTs only tend to be a major issue (money pit) om much older cars in my experience.

We got our current car (VW polo - woooooo) 2 years old from the main dealer, and pay 20 ish quid a month into a MOT and service plan so most of the ongoing costs are already covered.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:10 - Mar 17 with 6334 viewsWeWereZombies

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 10:44 - Mar 17 by strikalite

If you're not to proud then for about £3k you can get a cracking 10 year old motor with a FSH and decent mileage, because most people trade in purely because they want to be seen in a new or fairly new car..

Example,neighbour had a 58 plate BMW Z4 M series, immaculate, crazy low mileage too, traded it in for a two year old one, which must have cost £25k ish, yeah lovely but she said "yeah, well the other one was 10 years old now"...

I would echo that, just bought an eight year old Skoda Octavia 4x4 from a neighbour, has been well looked after with full service history, he has even given me a folder with all the bills. But I think it depends on confidence too, and a dependable garage for servicing and MOT that you have a good rapport with.

Now all I need is for the DVLA to say that I can drive again after my head injury (which, despite eight nights hospitalisation sounds like nothing compared to the litany of assaults in Lucan's recent posts).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:11 - Mar 17 with 6328 viewsBluefish

If it appreciates buy it. If it depreciates lease it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:20 - Mar 17 with 6299 viewsStirlingArcher

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:11 - Mar 17 by Bluefish

If it appreciates buy it. If it depreciates lease it

so rent it for £x/month and end up with nothing
or
buy for £y and end up with a car worth £y-z

this works some of the time and should NEVER be a hard and fast rule
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:22 - Mar 17 with 6291 viewsRyorry

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:10 - Mar 17 by WeWereZombies

I would echo that, just bought an eight year old Skoda Octavia 4x4 from a neighbour, has been well looked after with full service history, he has even given me a folder with all the bills. But I think it depends on confidence too, and a dependable garage for servicing and MOT that you have a good rapport with.

Now all I need is for the DVLA to say that I can drive again after my head injury (which, despite eight nights hospitalisation sounds like nothing compared to the litany of assaults in Lucan's recent posts).

Wasn't aware you'd had a head injury & been in hosp, sorry to hear that, hope recovery is soon complete & you get your licence back pronto - such a pain without.

I bought a 10 year old Landrover Defender in 2010 for £5K, it's still going strong, has cost about £3K in repairs/servicing/MOTs (fair bit of chassis work, starter motor) over the 9 years, and is currently worth at least £3K - money well spent I'd say! They're in a different league tho, obvs.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:24 - Mar 17 with 6275 viewsBluefish

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:20 - Mar 17 by StirlingArcher

or

Not like John Paul Getty made a lot of money

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:32 - Mar 17 with 6258 viewsLord_Lucan

I would never buy a new car. Even when I was a wealthy man I never spent much on vehicles, I’d rather spend my cash in other ways.

Last week I bought an 11 year old snatch back for £1750 - probably could sell it for circa £4K tomorrow. Great vehicle, fully loaded. It’s da bomb!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:33 - Mar 17 with 6245 viewsWeWereZombies

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:22 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Wasn't aware you'd had a head injury & been in hosp, sorry to hear that, hope recovery is soon complete & you get your licence back pronto - such a pain without.

I bought a 10 year old Landrover Defender in 2010 for £5K, it's still going strong, has cost about £3K in repairs/servicing/MOTs (fair bit of chassis work, starter motor) over the 9 years, and is currently worth at least £3K - money well spent I'd say! They're in a different league tho, obvs.

One of the few advantages of concussion was that when I was asked for my driving licence my brain went back twenty years in time and started looking for a paper document when the credit card style one was just behind a credit card in my wallet, so my driving licence never did get taken off me (and no copper came round to the house to ask for it - my son tells me that has happened to some of his mates). However, the chief medic at the first hospital told the DVLA and printed out a six page form for me to fill in (which took me weeks to get round to due to my dumb state and even then my doctor filled in half of it) with the result that I cannot drive legally for six months after the accident. Due to my remote location I have pleaded for an early release from that but am still waiting to hear, life can be a bit difficult when you have to cycle almost four miles to get to the nearest shop - and there is usually a concerted headwind on the way back.

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:37 - Mar 17 with 6230 viewsRyorry

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:33 - Mar 17 by WeWereZombies

One of the few advantages of concussion was that when I was asked for my driving licence my brain went back twenty years in time and started looking for a paper document when the credit card style one was just behind a credit card in my wallet, so my driving licence never did get taken off me (and no copper came round to the house to ask for it - my son tells me that has happened to some of his mates). However, the chief medic at the first hospital told the DVLA and printed out a six page form for me to fill in (which took me weeks to get round to due to my dumb state and even then my doctor filled in half of it) with the result that I cannot drive legally for six months after the accident. Due to my remote location I have pleaded for an early release from that but am still waiting to hear, life can be a bit difficult when you have to cycle almost four miles to get to the nearest shop - and there is usually a concerted headwind on the way back.

Bluddyell! - even more reason to keep fingers crossed for you then!

Does the 4 miles back mean that most of the stuff you buy is light, eg crisps?! Still, at least you're working it off ... Are you too remote for deliveries?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:42 - Mar 17 with 6219 viewsBluefish

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:20 - Mar 17 by StirlingArcher

or

Let's look at this another way

Buy for 20k

Keep for 3 years and sell for 5k. Cost equals 15k plus money tied up

Same car lease for 3 years at 5k per annum. Cost 15k and money not tied up and less risk

Numbers just used for simplicity but principal stands

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:46 - Mar 17 with 6207 viewsWeWereZombies

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:37 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Bluddyell! - even more reason to keep fingers crossed for you then!

Does the 4 miles back mean that most of the stuff you buy is light, eg crisps?! Still, at least you're working it off ... Are you too remote for deliveries?

I have knackered myself filling a rucksack with four pints of milk, a kilo and a half of muesli and a litre of juice plus canned goods etc. so do not do that now. Asda and Tesco do not go much farther than Kyle of Lochalsh and I am thirty miles or so further. The Co-op are supposed to deliver but their service is always down. However, my neighbours have been great and I often get a lift to the supermarket so things are not that bad. And this situation has prompted me to get my National Entitlement Card which gives free bus and coach travel to the over 60s - so I can get to Berwick on Tweed or Carlisle for nothing. Got the overnight coach from Glasgow to London last week which meant that I travelled something like six hundred miles for eighteen quid.

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:56 - Mar 17 with 6193 viewsChurchman

Only a real idiot would buy a brand new car. Like me 🤪. But it’s a fun thing to do, if you can afford to do it once or twice and keep it for the long term. Over the years I’ve bought everything from unreliable heaps to a new one. I think the most sensible buy if you are after a mainstream car and have the money is 1-3 years old from a main dealer. It’s what I’ll do in a year or twos time. You don’t get bad cars these days but modern cars do hide damage well (I was shocked at how good the repair was to er indoors car was a few years ago) and with a dealer and a car that age you will have comeback in addition to a chunk of manufactures warranty.

As far as finance goes I’ve not tried leasing but if you try buying on finance (pcp etc), try and make sure it’s interest free. If you buy new this style of arrangement can help you get a better discount too, along with the knowledge that at the moment they are struggling to sell cars so you can negotiate the hell out of them unless it’s a high demand car, such as a Mini. Older cars, the key is condition and service history along with avoiding complex, originally very expensive cars that may turn into money pits as they get old. Last thing - cars always cost/shed value, unless they are classics such as a Land Rover mentioned earlier in this thread. A shrewd buy, that!
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:11 - Mar 17 with 6091 viewsPinewoodblue

If you are seriously considering new then my advice would be a low mileage neatly new . Purchased Jan last year 12 months old 1,700 miles on the clock over a third off list price if new.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:21 - Mar 17 with 6057 viewsSwailsey

Thanks all.

Sorry I think my terminology was wrong - I meant new as in the Finance options from say, Fiat etc for x amount a month with deposit etc, for x number of years/upgrades.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:28 - Mar 17 with 6040 viewsbluelagos

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:21 - Mar 17 by Swailsey

Thanks all.

Sorry I think my terminology was wrong - I meant new as in the Finance options from say, Fiat etc for x amount a month with deposit etc, for x number of years/upgrades.

My advice would be

1. Decide on the car you want (I"d go with the 3 year old, 30% of original value as best vfm)

2. Decide how to fund it. Look at the APR % on any deal and that is the cost of the money you borrowing. Golden rule, lower the better (cheaper)

3. Look at bank loans too, as they may be cheaper than the deals from car retailer. Also, this would you the chance to haggle for a better price as you would be a cash buyer. This would also allow you to consider private sales too / auctions.

Good luck :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:31 - Mar 17 with 6028 viewsfabian_illness

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 11:32 - Mar 17 by Lord_Lucan

I would never buy a new car. Even when I was a wealthy man I never spent much on vehicles, I’d rather spend my cash in other ways.

Last week I bought an 11 year old snatch back for £1750 - probably could sell it for circa £4K tomorrow. Great vehicle, fully loaded. It’s da bomb!

Is a ‘snatch back’ a bit like a hatch back or is it a repossession?
Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:44 - Mar 17 with 6007 viewsSwansea_Blue

New on finance:- No big outlay up front (except deposit). You're paying for the highest depreciation levels when the car is youngest. It's not yours so there's no sell on value. You have to pay a lump sum down the line to keep the car, or start from scratch again when it goes back. You'll have strict mileage limits to adhere to and extra expense if you exceed them. There can be issues when taking the car back if they think it's not in top condition. Service packages easily obtainable and yes, no MOT. But you get a shiny new car and low hassle if you have the service pack.

Buy 2nd hand outright:- Big outlay upfront, but then no monthly payments. It's yours, you get to chose when you sell it on and will get something back when you sell. You'll still pay for depreciation, but can minimise that by buying an older car. Service packages may be available if the car's not too old to take some of that hassle away.

Depends what your priorities are. I changed mine last year I went for one just under 2 years old. Bought it outright as I didn't want regular monthly payments. I didn't particularly want to pay depreciation when it's at its highest (I 'saved' £15k compared to a new model). It meant I could justify buying a nicer car than buying a new one, it's just a bit older but still in excellent condition and low milage. Comes down to personal preference really. I went through both options with a fine tooth comb, and for me 2nd hand made more sense.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:52 - Mar 17 with 5994 viewsKieran_Knows

I’m currently on a finance deal, but I went for a car that was a little older (think it was 14 months when I got it). Went for a 4 year deal, but will probably change after 2 and a half/3 years. Affordable monthly payments, and just pay for a service every once in a while (have got to have 2 tyres changed next week - but I do a fair bit of miles weekly/monthly).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Car advice - Buy a second hand outright or new via Finance? on 13:54 - Mar 17 with 5989 viewslinhdi

Lots of sensible advice on this thread. Do the sums carefully - anything other than interest-free or very very low would make the new option via lease or PCP unattractive.

I recently returned a lease car which I had had for 3 years, doing 40,000 miles, 4,000 more than the contract so a bit more to pay at the end. I had included all service costs, and was so grateful when, 2 months from the end of the contract, at about 37,000 miles, it needed 4 new tyres; they were comfortably legal in UK, but not legal in France, where I was heading on a trip. I was impressed by the service - Kwik fit were organised by the lease co to do the job, at home, the day after I called.

I now have gone PCP, and intend to buy my own car (pay the final amount)in 3 years' time, for a guarantee amount, and knowing its full history.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024