Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More kids football whining 23:32 - Mar 17 with 6271 viewssparks

FA not to blame this time.

Am I being a whiny old git?

Played an U9s game in our cup competition today. We are 4th of 6 in our group. Should be equal third really- but we had a mad 10 minutes against a lower side last time out. We were playing the side top of our group. They drew with the joint top side and their other results in the group of 6 have been 9-3, 11-1, 11-2.

Opposition manager was telling his team at half time that it was "embarrassing" that they were only 4-2 up (as overheard by my daughter). He went on to order his keeper to come up and play as sweeper in OUR HALF in the third quarter (that stopped after we very nearly caught them on the break for 4-3). Thought that was hugely disrespectful to a team with no subs, and 2 under 8s playing their socks off and matching them, despite their obvious belief that they were at another level to us.

At the end I jokingly said "hey- give us player x back (one of our best players switched to them last summer) and we'll draw with you next time". Their Manager's response was: "I wouldn't go that far..." and he then turned his back on me and walked off.

U9s FFS. Get a grip.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

More kids football whining on 23:38 - Mar 17 with 6235 viewsJ2BLUE

Does seem a bit unnecessary but don't let it bother you. You clearly dented their manager's ego. Have a beer and consider it a job well done.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

More kids football whining on 23:44 - Mar 17 with 6212 viewsBLUEBEAT

More kids football whining on 23:38 - Mar 17 by J2BLUE

Does seem a bit unnecessary but don't let it bother you. You clearly dented their manager's ego. Have a beer and consider it a job well done.

This is the right thing.

It’s really hard not to rise to the bait. There are some absolute arseholes coaching kids football (and even more annoying parents). Used to make me really angry and needing to retaliate in an aggressive manner but I have learnt these type of people feel more insulted if you laugh it off.

Poll: W or W

More kids football whining on 23:57 - Mar 17 with 6200 viewsLord_Lucan

You should have a beer with The Beard, he has dedicated years to youth football and can tell you some shockers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

More kids football whining on 07:22 - Mar 18 with 6007 viewschristiand

Come on Sparks you know there are a lot of 'divs' in youth football who think they are the next Alex Ferguson, you've posted other examples in the past. My lad has taken a hiatus from playing youth football over the last 3 or 4 months and I've got to say he's not missed it one iota.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

on 07:48 - Mar 18 with 5946 views_

More kids football whining on 07:59 - Mar 18 with 5918 viewsxrayspecs

You can not legislate against opposing managers being knobs. Some are, some are not, a bit like real life.

On playing his keeper as a sweeper, why not? It helps the kids develop tactical awareness. For his team how to press you into you final third, for your side how to overcome the challenge.
More kids football whining on 08:13 - Mar 18 with 5895 viewschicoazul

sorry to be all Partridge about this but I totally agree with you and it really does amaze me, some of the stuff that goes on. My son is U7s at the moment, 20 minutes per half, the coaches try to get everyone involved as we have 10 players, obviously 1 or 2 arent very good and the way my fellow parents moan about them when they play is unreal.
Also the other week we were losing 4-5, one of the parents from the other team started moaning and shouting about the time, tapping his wrist, "how much longer ref come on"etc. Ref was one of the dads doing everyone a favour. I dont think I can take another 5 years or so of this, i'll have a stroke on the touchline or something.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More kids football whining on 08:20 - Mar 18 with 5867 viewsmos

More kids football whining on 08:13 - Mar 18 by chicoazul

sorry to be all Partridge about this but I totally agree with you and it really does amaze me, some of the stuff that goes on. My son is U7s at the moment, 20 minutes per half, the coaches try to get everyone involved as we have 10 players, obviously 1 or 2 arent very good and the way my fellow parents moan about them when they play is unreal.
Also the other week we were losing 4-5, one of the parents from the other team started moaning and shouting about the time, tapping his wrist, "how much longer ref come on"etc. Ref was one of the dads doing everyone a favour. I dont think I can take another 5 years or so of this, i'll have a stroke on the touchline or something.

It gets to U16s and suddenly the parents think they’re entitled to swear at the players. Absolute madness.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Login to get fewer ads

More kids football whining on 10:57 - Mar 18 with 5720 viewsLord_Lucan

When RKD was playing for Witnesham Wasps under 15's when they played some Felixstowe team once (Grange Farm?) their players had a half time fag during their team talk.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

More kids football whining on 11:13 - Mar 18 with 5672 viewsSwansea_Blue

More kids football whining on 07:22 - Mar 18 by christiand

Come on Sparks you know there are a lot of 'divs' in youth football who think they are the next Alex Ferguson, you've posted other examples in the past. My lad has taken a hiatus from playing youth football over the last 3 or 4 months and I've got to say he's not missed it one iota.

My lad jacked it in after Christmas, aged 10. Far too many c0cks around. Over the few years he was doing it, w'd seen coaches with egos the size of planets, as Sparks mentioned. Kids not getting game time because of 'must win at all costs' mentality. A fight between a coach of one team and a parent. Aggro from parents around parking. Stroppy, angry kids. Stroppy, angry parents. A coach's son hitting an opposition player after the match. Coaches giving youngsters the hairdryer treatment rather than looking to build their confidence, develop and nurture them. All this at U11s and below.

Maybe it's because it's Swansea and there's a lot of nutters around, or maybe football attracts the rougher and dimmer sorts. Don't know.

He's swimming now instead and it's a far more positive, inclusive, confidence building experience. Neither of us miss it one bit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More kids football whining on 13:12 - Mar 18 with 5605 viewschristiand

More kids football whining on 11:13 - Mar 18 by Swansea_Blue

My lad jacked it in after Christmas, aged 10. Far too many c0cks around. Over the few years he was doing it, w'd seen coaches with egos the size of planets, as Sparks mentioned. Kids not getting game time because of 'must win at all costs' mentality. A fight between a coach of one team and a parent. Aggro from parents around parking. Stroppy, angry kids. Stroppy, angry parents. A coach's son hitting an opposition player after the match. Coaches giving youngsters the hairdryer treatment rather than looking to build their confidence, develop and nurture them. All this at U11s and below.

Maybe it's because it's Swansea and there's a lot of nutters around, or maybe football attracts the rougher and dimmer sorts. Don't know.

He's swimming now instead and it's a far more positive, inclusive, confidence building experience. Neither of us miss it one bit.

Got to say I initially did miss it Swansea Blue, but over that timescale I've found I haven't really missed all the BS and egotistical behaviour. In addition, the penny has finally dropped for me, the kids need to enjoy it for themselves, they aren't (or shouldn't be) doing it for anyone else. If they are having fun, enjoying what they are doing they'll play well and play to their potential. It's taken me a while, but got there in the end, but that doesn't detract from the fact that there are far too many bell*nds involved in the game, especially in the junior ranks which ruins the game for many!!

Good luck to your lad with his swimming!!
[Post edited 18 Mar 2019 13:15]

More kids football whining on 14:05 - Mar 18 with 5534 viewsHeathlander

I was coaching a team back in the day and we played a team that steamrollered everyone. For this game I was ref. We were about 8 goals down when the opposing manager told his goalkeeper to just go upfront and play with no keeper.

I stopped the game, had a word with him, as in do you really need to try and humiliate these girls any further after we have come from Ipswich to Lowestoft? What are you actually getting out of this apart from showing a genuine lack of class?

To be fair he did see my point, apologised and told her to stay in goal. We won 9-8 in the end ;) Due to the 9 pens I gave to our team.
More kids football whining on 14:24 - Mar 18 with 5492 viewschicoazul

More kids football whining on 10:57 - Mar 18 by Lord_Lucan

When RKD was playing for Witnesham Wasps under 15's when they played some Felixstowe team once (Grange Farm?) their players had a half time fag during their team talk.

TBF I think Allan Hunter used to do that too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More kids football whining on 14:56 - Mar 18 with 5459 views26_Paz

More kids football whining on 14:24 - Mar 18 by chicoazul

TBF I think Allan Hunter used to do that too.

When he was 14?

The Paz Man

More kids football whining on 15:06 - Mar 18 with 5425 viewschristiand

More kids football whining on 14:05 - Mar 18 by Heathlander

I was coaching a team back in the day and we played a team that steamrollered everyone. For this game I was ref. We were about 8 goals down when the opposing manager told his goalkeeper to just go upfront and play with no keeper.

I stopped the game, had a word with him, as in do you really need to try and humiliate these girls any further after we have come from Ipswich to Lowestoft? What are you actually getting out of this apart from showing a genuine lack of class?

To be fair he did see my point, apologised and told her to stay in goal. We won 9-8 in the end ;) Due to the 9 pens I gave to our team.

This is the thing I find irritating Heathlander are these types of coaches in it for developing these young players or their their own personal gratification? Don't get me started on that official either!!

More kids football whining on 15:13 - Mar 18 with 5411 viewsHeathlander

More kids football whining on 15:06 - Mar 18 by christiand

This is the thing I find irritating Heathlander are these types of coaches in it for developing these young players or their their own personal gratification? Don't get me started on that official either!!

I loved coaching youth football. Did it for about 11 years. Made some brilliant friends along the way. Met some right idiots too though.

Coaches and parents who would stock pile all the best kids (just like Chelsea) to win plastic trophies. Poach players from other clubs and not even play them.

Loved every minute of it though. Now my lad is playing adult football i do miss the Saturday morning footy.
More kids football whining on 15:16 - Mar 18 with 5403 viewsartsbossbeard

More kids football whining on 14:05 - Mar 18 by Heathlander

I can't go into specifics, however, I've got a friend who runs a village footy team, who is all about their development but struggles for both players and numbers because they are all about the development rather than winning and thus not attractive to the better players in the area.

Anyhoo, they got drawn against a top of the table top division team in the cup and my mate didn't want to put his boys through a cricket score so told the league that they'd give the other team a walkover.

Much back and forth later, the league finally relented BUT not before suggesting that the top division team should only look to score from headers or a move involving 4 or more passes. Not like that would be at all degrading for the other team.

They picked up a £60 fine but as he's chairman as well as the manager, it didn't bother them.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

More kids football whining on 15:20 - Mar 18 with 5390 viewsHeathlander

More kids football whining on 15:16 - Mar 18 by artsbossbeard

I can't go into specifics, however, I've got a friend who runs a village footy team, who is all about their development but struggles for both players and numbers because they are all about the development rather than winning and thus not attractive to the better players in the area.

Anyhoo, they got drawn against a top of the table top division team in the cup and my mate didn't want to put his boys through a cricket score so told the league that they'd give the other team a walkover.

Much back and forth later, the league finally relented BUT not before suggesting that the top division team should only look to score from headers or a move involving 4 or more passes. Not like that would be at all degrading for the other team.

They picked up a £60 fine but as he's chairman as well as the manager, it didn't bother them.

I remember being at a Suffolk FA meeting when they were seriously considering the 'mercy rule'. This is where the match is over if a team falls six goals behind. It was very close to being introduced but only just got voted down.

I personally voted against it. I felt that rule was actually more demoralising than being even more heavily beaten.
More kids football whining on 15:22 - Mar 18 with 5379 viewsartsbossbeard

More kids football whining on 15:13 - Mar 18 by Heathlander

I loved coaching youth football. Did it for about 11 years. Made some brilliant friends along the way. Met some right idiots too though.

Coaches and parents who would stock pile all the best kids (just like Chelsea) to win plastic trophies. Poach players from other clubs and not even play them.

Loved every minute of it though. Now my lad is playing adult football i do miss the Saturday morning footy.

We set our stall out at u8's level and our philosophy is football over results, which was a difficult process to start with as the good players were always tempted away.

We're u15's now and the boys I have now could (bar 1 or 2) all go and play football at a decent standard when they leave me. All comfortable on the ball, happy to play out from the back and all understand that we don't accept talking back to the ref or getting involved with parents.

We'll probably finish 2nd in the league to a team who have a goalkeeper who can kick the ball 3/4 length of the pitch and a fast striker. With added knee slides from their management team when this tactic works.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

More kids football whining on 15:23 - Mar 18 with 5372 viewsartsbossbeard

More kids football whining on 15:20 - Mar 18 by Heathlander

I remember being at a Suffolk FA meeting when they were seriously considering the 'mercy rule'. This is where the match is over if a team falls six goals behind. It was very close to being introduced but only just got voted down.

I personally voted against it. I felt that rule was actually more demoralising than being even more heavily beaten.

This is being looked into again as a viable option.

More kids football whining on 15:30 - Mar 18 with 5347 viewsHeathlander

More kids football whining on 15:22 - Mar 18 by artsbossbeard

We set our stall out at u8's level and our philosophy is football over results, which was a difficult process to start with as the good players were always tempted away.

We're u15's now and the boys I have now could (bar 1 or 2) all go and play football at a decent standard when they leave me. All comfortable on the ball, happy to play out from the back and all understand that we don't accept talking back to the ref or getting involved with parents.

We'll probably finish 2nd in the league to a team who have a goalkeeper who can kick the ball 3/4 length of the pitch and a fast striker. With added knee slides from their management team when this tactic works.

You'll stuggle next season when girls, Saturday jobs, booze and nights out come into the equation. :)

Some of my U16's used to turn up hungover and dropped off by their girlfriends. I reckon only half of them went on to play adult football.

The transition is so hard. My lad was playing Senior SIL straight after youth football. He hadn't filled out yet and was up against muscle bound, tattooed hulks of men. It puts a lot of them off.
More kids football whining on 16:11 - Mar 18 with 5296 viewsJohnWarksTash

If you start having a stroke on the touchline you will get banned anyway.......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024