Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where is Downes? 09:40 - Mar 18 with 1690 viewsunstableblue

Met a couple of Luton season ticket holders... and they really rated him from his time last season.

Is he injured?

Can he play the Chalobah role next term?

I understand the concerns over Skuse.

I think Skuse has had a good season, and I understand why he gets such passionate support on here.

But I’m just not sure Skuse ever really puts in the type of performance seen from a Chalobah yesterday.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Where is Downes? on 10:00 - Mar 18 with 1599 viewsGarv

Skuse is limited, we all know that. There are lots of things he does that Chalobah doesn't though.

I haven't made my mind up on Downes yet. I'm not sure he could be the main defensive mid in League One. I imagine he'll be used in a similar way to this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Where is Downes? on 10:17 - Mar 18 with 1531 viewsunstableblue

Where is Downes? on 10:00 - Mar 18 by Garv

Skuse is limited, we all know that. There are lots of things he does that Chalobah doesn't though.

I haven't made my mind up on Downes yet. I'm not sure he could be the main defensive mid in League One. I imagine he'll be used in a similar way to this season.

I like Skuse and quite rate him. But a midfield with him in it, just hasn't really worked over many seasons.

Whether that's the players around him or him directly, I'm not sure.

I do like it when Skuse gets dynamic and bosses games and opposition, but I'd say that's 1 in 3. And then I'm not sure the longer accurate ball is in his arsenal.

We do need to move on as a team from the last 2-3 seasons - clearing out Knudsen (who is not all bad), sorting out the full back roles, and perhaps Skuse might by part of this. I sort of understand why Chambo has been kept on. But at the same time he has had a worse season than Skuse>!>!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Where is Downes? on 10:23 - Mar 18 with 1501 viewsGarv

Where is Downes? on 10:17 - Mar 18 by unstableblue

I like Skuse and quite rate him. But a midfield with him in it, just hasn't really worked over many seasons.

I do like it when Skuse gets dynamic and bosses games and opposition, but I'd say that's 1 in 3. And then I'm not sure the longer accurate ball is in his arsenal.

We do need to move on as a team from the last 2-3 seasons - clearing out Knudsen (who is not all bad), sorting out the full back roles, and perhaps Skuse might by part of this. I sort of understand why Chambo has been kept on. But at the same time he has had a worse season than Skuse>!>!!

I think one in three is generous personally. People sometimes say we miss him when he doesn't play but there have been more occasions when we've looked a better footballing side without him.

Either way, I'm sure he will play an important role next year, alongside Chambers. Chambers has had some very bad moments this year but he's also had some good moments. How many centre back partners has he had? Probably six or seven.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Where is Downes? on 10:24 - Mar 18 with 1495 viewsTractorCam

Downes has been ill, out of the current crop of young midfielders i'd say he fits the Chalobah role best.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Where is Downes? on 10:25 - Mar 18 with 1490 viewsBlueBadger

As you touch upon above, Skuse himself isn't the problem, it's who he's paired up with. Last season, had we had Dozzel, Bishop and Huws fit, you could perm any two from those three with Skuse as the 'sitter' and you'd have seen a vastly different Skuse.

That said, he's knocking on now and injuries appear to be hitting him harder, this season I expected him to be slowly phased out and Downes to come to the fore. That's not happened for a number of reasons with the main one being is we're desperately lightweight across the whole team but in midfield in particular and his experience is greatly needed.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Where is Downes? on 10:27 - Mar 18 with 1472 viewsTractorJack

I don't recall Downes ever playing the deepest in a 4-3-3. Whether or not he could I'm not sure, I think you need to be a bit more physical for that role and probably more so in League 1. I'm sure he'll continue to get minutes rotating with Nolan/Bishop/Dozzell in the other 2 spots.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2019 10:28]
Where is Downes? on 10:42 - Mar 18 with 1390 viewsZedRodgers

I think he was spraying it around quite nicely before he got injured this season. I remember an impressive long diagonal ball to assist Sears(?) a few months back. He certainly doesn't seem to have shown that form since the injury.

I don't think Lambert sees Downes as the defensive midfielder. I think he could potentially settle there in years to come - he is strong and clearly a battler who will give everything, but think he needs to work on his temperament and gain a bit more experience in reading the game first.

It would be handy if he could improve his game going forward whilst he is playing more of a box to box role. That should lead him to becoming much less limited than Skuse whatever happens.

No, not at the moment

Where is Downes? on 10:44 - Mar 18 with 1380 viewsKieran_Knows

He was out with the rest on Saturday warming up, I imagine he'll be back in the squad over the next few weeks. Injured/ill wasn't he the last few weeks?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024