Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this season worse than 94/95? 10:39 - Mar 18 with 1782 viewsFifeITFC

Discuss.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 10:41 - Mar 18 with 1777 viewsSuperblue95

Obviously getting relegated from the second tier is worse than getting relegated from the top tier

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 10:51 - Mar 18 with 1751 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Not for me.

1995 included a 9-0 defeat when we became the laughing stock of the country and the butt of all playground jokes.

15 years before that we were one of the greatest teams in Europe and now we were not even good enough for the top division, had recently lost all of my heroes like Dozzell and Kiwomya and the whole season was depressing, Man Utd (H) and Liverpool (A) aside. It felt like the end of something.

This season, for the last 3-4 months, has felt like the beginning of something. 15 years ago we were a Championship side, just like we are now. It's been a slow, painful demise and now I am looking forward to the first likely step forward for the club in the past how ever many years.

The fan base is united, there's a great atmosphere, we have almost an entire team of talented youngsters and next season looks like it could actually be good.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 10:53 - Mar 18 with 1738 viewsBlueRaider

Tricky

If you'd asked me two months ago I would have said it definitely was.

Not sure now.

94/95 was abject where we were almost playing for 0-0 draws and not even doing that very well. We then went into the period where we were getting regularly hammered, and there were not many good results near the end of the season, however we did seem to manage to win some games.

Things seem more positive now, I am really enjoying the games and bizarrely now don't want the season to end.

Back in 94/95 we were just hoping for it all to end

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:01 - Mar 18 with 1719 viewstrncbluearmy

That season was bloody awful

This season has become different,it's a release from the boredom, mediocrity,ampathy and hate that was killing ITFC

The support is magnificent,we have young players improving, some older heads helping it gel it and a manager that seems to really care and wants to make us great again.
I firmly believe our club needed this season to break the downward spiral to oblivion the club was in.
ITFC will come back stronger of that there is no doubt.
Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:10 - Mar 18 with 1687 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 10:51 - Mar 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Not for me.

1995 included a 9-0 defeat when we became the laughing stock of the country and the butt of all playground jokes.

15 years before that we were one of the greatest teams in Europe and now we were not even good enough for the top division, had recently lost all of my heroes like Dozzell and Kiwomya and the whole season was depressing, Man Utd (H) and Liverpool (A) aside. It felt like the end of something.

This season, for the last 3-4 months, has felt like the beginning of something. 15 years ago we were a Championship side, just like we are now. It's been a slow, painful demise and now I am looking forward to the first likely step forward for the club in the past how ever many years.

The fan base is united, there's a great atmosphere, we have almost an entire team of talented youngsters and next season looks like it could actually be good.

At least people cared about us to mock then

Now we’ve become a complete irrelevance. But at least we played well in a couple of draws I suppose

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:28 - Mar 18 with 1634 viewsFifeITFC

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 10:41 - Mar 18 by Superblue95

Obviously getting relegated from the second tier is worse than getting relegated from the top tier

Don't necessarily agree with you. In 94/95 we were REGULARLY getting pummelled, 4-1s, 4-0s, 3-0s, 9-0.

We haven't been doing that at all this season. Performance wise there's even more promising signs in many matches, despite not not winning. The 94 season was abject and we looked short every week.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:48 - Mar 18 with 1605 viewsSteve_M

It's differently sh1t.

Having stayed up by the narrowest of margins (Cheers Mark Stein!) in 93-94 it's hard to see what more the club could have done in the Summer to improve it's chances of survival the following season. I'm sure we could have made a better job than we did but relegation was always very likely - and it really wasn't a lot of fun being hammered regularly despite three or four very good results that year (and as good as beating Manchester United was it came after losing at home to Norwich and Bolton in the space of a few days).

This year is more self-inflicted, a bit like 2001-02 in that decisions made in the Summer preceding it have been ruinous. In both seasons they might have been countered with a bit of momentum but a bit of bad luck at crucial times prevented that. To have dragged ourselves back to mid-table in February and still get relegated though is an almighty failing that resonates still 18 years on.

I did think 94-95 would never be equalled and I'm still not quite sure we've done it now but the stark lack of wins runs it close.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I think you have it! on 11:54 - Mar 18 with 1575 viewsunstableblue

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:01 - Mar 18 by trncbluearmy

That season was bloody awful

This season has become different,it's a release from the boredom, mediocrity,ampathy and hate that was killing ITFC

The support is magnificent,we have young players improving, some older heads helping it gel it and a manager that seems to really care and wants to make us great again.
I firmly believe our club needed this season to break the downward spiral to oblivion the club was in.
ITFC will come back stronger of that there is no doubt.

This season is undoubtedly disappointing, ME messed up another managerial appointment and it meant we were just incredibly error strewn under Hurst, but also our playing style was not the root ans branch change we needed. Senior players were mismanaged and became woeful in my opinion. Chambo, Bart, Knudsen really need to hold their hands up - and cannot blame it all on Hurst's style.

But there is not an overall sense of negativity at the club or in the fan base. We had been subjected to two seasons of just bland, energyless football, where we lucky to see passes string together, and we always seemed to be the lesser team when playing at home. Now we're playing some good attakcing stuff, we're passing it on the ground, and the team is getting a sense of identity. PLUS we have YOOF coming through.

So yes its sh!t we're being relegated, and there is a LARGE risk we'll get mired in the division below. But the CHANGE we needed in playing style and club ethos has been instilled by Lambert.

BUT, Lambert has to now start fixing the errors and getting a striker and final third plan finalsised, that will fix the elements he has not resolved in his tenure.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 12:04 - Mar 18 with 1561 viewspatrickswell

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:48 - Mar 18 by Steve_M

It's differently sh1t.

Having stayed up by the narrowest of margins (Cheers Mark Stein!) in 93-94 it's hard to see what more the club could have done in the Summer to improve it's chances of survival the following season. I'm sure we could have made a better job than we did but relegation was always very likely - and it really wasn't a lot of fun being hammered regularly despite three or four very good results that year (and as good as beating Manchester United was it came after losing at home to Norwich and Bolton in the space of a few days).

This year is more self-inflicted, a bit like 2001-02 in that decisions made in the Summer preceding it have been ruinous. In both seasons they might have been countered with a bit of momentum but a bit of bad luck at crucial times prevented that. To have dragged ourselves back to mid-table in February and still get relegated though is an almighty failing that resonates still 18 years on.

I did think 94-95 would never be equalled and I'm still not quite sure we've done it now but the stark lack of wins runs it close.

This year is worse than 1994-95 because the wounds have been self inflicted, and although people say "All right we beat Man Utd and Liverpool, but that apart...", well this season we haven't even had anything comparable with that, unless you count beating Swansea (a former Premier League club). That apart, we have only 7 more chances to defeat anyone who played in the Championship last season. Has the division left us behind that comprehensively? (Yes). We haven't beaten Norwich (again), we've had no cup run (again). We've seen a load of players step up en masse to the Championship and to varying degrees, they've been flops.

Where it differs from 94-95 is that the side is playing football which suggests that we could do well in League One, but if we came up Lambert would have a lot of decisions to make over who could cut it considering how badly many of them have coped so far.

Key thing for next season is to get some kind of winning mentality back. The team's played well in this run of games but not made it count. One could argue they are playing without pressure which helps, because in nearly every other pressure game bar our two other wins, they've not been up to it. Could we hack a tight promotion battle? On the evidence seen so far, I'm not so sure.
Is this season worse than 94/95? on 12:15 - Mar 18 with 1516 viewsSuperblue95

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 11:28 - Mar 18 by FifeITFC

Don't necessarily agree with you. In 94/95 we were REGULARLY getting pummelled, 4-1s, 4-0s, 3-0s, 9-0.

We haven't been doing that at all this season. Performance wise there's even more promising signs in many matches, despite not not winning. The 94 season was abject and we looked short every week.

Perhaps but we’ve nearly always been a club that goes between the top 2 divisions so getting relegated from the top flight is no disaster.

Getting relegated down to a division where we haven’t played in circa 60 years though is terrible for the club

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 12:53 - Mar 18 with 1456 viewsatlanticblue

Is this season worse than 94/95? on 12:15 - Mar 18 by Superblue95

Perhaps but we’ve nearly always been a club that goes between the top 2 divisions so getting relegated from the top flight is no disaster.

Getting relegated down to a division where we haven’t played in circa 60 years though is terrible for the club

To be bottom of the league and going to the 3rd tier against some very very ordinary teams this is without a shadow of a doubt the worst season in living memory

The fact that Narwich team are top of the league shows how poor it is
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024