Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ 15:51 - Mar 18 with 24922 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

It’s baffling this stuff makes the national news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47612616

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:32 - Mar 18 with 2218 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:19 - Mar 18 by footers

SOMEONE HAS DONE SOMETHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND, THAT MAKES ME ANGRY FOR REASONS.

Sorry Footers but as a poster on here I respect enormously, I think you deserve a proper reply here.

1) Where have I said I don’t understand it? The only part of this I don’t understand is the BBC choosing to stick it on their main worldwide news coverage. They’re making it into a big thing by publishing a story on him saying he is only a man sometimes but feels like a woman on other days.

2) Additionally, Sam Smith can do what he likes, identify as whatever he wants and say and do whatever he chooses. That doesn’t bother me at all. I’d like to think people on here would know that. However, I do happen to disagree with the whole concept of being ‘gender fluid’, ‘gender neutral’ or ‘non binary’. Why are these labels being made? What is the actual aim of these extra names being given to describe a man or a woman. It’s not the same as someone who is transgender. That’s a separate thing entirely and I think it’s unfair on transgender people to be labelled in the same group as those who identify as something they aren’t. I don’t think these labels for non binary people etc are good for society though. Sam Smith in that article said he sometimes wakes up and doesn’t feel like a man so wouldn’t want to be referred to as ‘he’. How can that be good for society if it would be offensive to refer to a person as their gender? He is a he. But only sometimes he says. So when does the world know when they can refer to him as such? It’s going to cause issues if this becomes the norm as is the growing trend in the last couple of years.

Also, it doesn’t make me angry at all. Why on here people think that disagreeing with the common view on a topic makes that person ‘angry’ is a strange one.

Hopefully, you appreciate the reply here and see my two issues with the subject and at least understand my reasons for disagreeing with the whole idea of being ‘gender fluid’ etc

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:33 - Mar 18 with 2208 viewseireblue

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:18 - Mar 18 by footers

As is your unwillingness to do any research into a subject before spouting off ignorant, negatives opinions on something you have no clue about. And that doesn't directly affect you.

Like I said, unless you want to shag them not sure why you'd care.

It does seem weird how people's views and opinions have somehow all obtained the same validity in recent years.

Rommy, I guess has a view of himself, as do some of his family.

However, every other opinion on Rommy must be equally valid, and should not really be questioned I suppose.

If someone expresses a view on Rommy, that Rommy doesn't agree with, I guess he simply should accept it as a perfectly valid view.
‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:36 - Mar 18 with 2200 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:32 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Sorry Footers but as a poster on here I respect enormously, I think you deserve a proper reply here.

1) Where have I said I don’t understand it? The only part of this I don’t understand is the BBC choosing to stick it on their main worldwide news coverage. They’re making it into a big thing by publishing a story on him saying he is only a man sometimes but feels like a woman on other days.

2) Additionally, Sam Smith can do what he likes, identify as whatever he wants and say and do whatever he chooses. That doesn’t bother me at all. I’d like to think people on here would know that. However, I do happen to disagree with the whole concept of being ‘gender fluid’, ‘gender neutral’ or ‘non binary’. Why are these labels being made? What is the actual aim of these extra names being given to describe a man or a woman. It’s not the same as someone who is transgender. That’s a separate thing entirely and I think it’s unfair on transgender people to be labelled in the same group as those who identify as something they aren’t. I don’t think these labels for non binary people etc are good for society though. Sam Smith in that article said he sometimes wakes up and doesn’t feel like a man so wouldn’t want to be referred to as ‘he’. How can that be good for society if it would be offensive to refer to a person as their gender? He is a he. But only sometimes he says. So when does the world know when they can refer to him as such? It’s going to cause issues if this becomes the norm as is the growing trend in the last couple of years.

Also, it doesn’t make me angry at all. Why on here people think that disagreeing with the common view on a topic makes that person ‘angry’ is a strange one.

Hopefully, you appreciate the reply here and see my two issues with the subject and at least understand my reasons for disagreeing with the whole idea of being ‘gender fluid’ etc

Why are these labels being made? - Because people want to describe how they identify.

How can that be good for society? How can it be bad for society to accommodate a persons wishes?

When does the world know when they can refer to him as such? - They could just ask him?

None of those things are a big issue.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:39 - Mar 18 with 2188 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:36 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

Why are these labels being made? - Because people want to describe how they identify.

How can that be good for society? How can it be bad for society to accommodate a persons wishes?

When does the world know when they can refer to him as such? - They could just ask him?

None of those things are a big issue.

‘When does the world know when they can refer to him as such? - They could just ask him?‘

You just referred to him as him. But he said sometimes he doesn’t feel like a him so wouldn’t want to be referred to as ‘him’. Which you just did. Which he wouldn’t appreciate sometimes but would be perfectly fine with on other occasions. Which is a bit of an issue to know how to refer to him as isn’t it? See what I mean?

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:41 - Mar 18 with 2181 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:32 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Your replies to others' posts generally demonstrate that you don't understand. You have drawn an equivalance with chimps. These are cheap lines that people who don't understand gender issues often come out with, including Gervais. It's also very insulting to people who do not wish to associate with either gender, or have more complex relationships with their associations than most.

I know that's very difficult for someone to understand from a 'straight-talking' point of view, but unless you've experience it or know people who have experienced it it's unlikely you would have been exposed to these ideas before, save from wags like Gervais.

"Why are these labels being made?" Because other people have different experiences of gender and require a term that defines it.

"What is the actual aim of these extra names being given to describe a man or a woman[?]" To help aid in the comprehension of these ideas.

"It’s not the same as someone who is transgender." Correct.

"How can that be good for society if it would be offensive to refer to a person as their gender?" Other people choose how they wish to be known; that is their right which should be respected. There is a reason we don't call black people 'coloured' any more- they found it offensive and hurtful.

"So when does the world know when they can refer to him as such?" This is why non-binary people often use the third person 'they' or in more extreme cases 'it'.

It is difficult at first to ascertain someone's chosen pronoun- but all you have to do is ask. I hate getting people's names wrong when first meeting them so usually insist on getting it right the first time even if that does mean asking them directly. This is especially true when working with people from many different cultures.

I'm called Joe and would hate it if people called me John or Jo (as happens frequently). That's not my name, so have the courtesy of calling me by my proper name. This is no different.

Hope this addresses your point sufficiently.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:45 - Mar 18 with 2170 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:39 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

‘When does the world know when they can refer to him as such? - They could just ask him?‘

You just referred to him as him. But he said sometimes he doesn’t feel like a him so wouldn’t want to be referred to as ‘him’. Which you just did. Which he wouldn’t appreciate sometimes but would be perfectly fine with on other occasions. Which is a bit of an issue to know how to refer to him as isn’t it? See what I mean?

Not really. I'm sure Sam Smith would be more than capable in letting me know what pronoun to use that day, if it important enough. I don't get what you're worried about. Surely the person with a particular desire to be referred to in a certain way will let me know what way that is?

Like I said, if you actually interact with people who wish to use certain pronouns, you'll soon realise that it's no big thing.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2019 18:45]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:46 - Mar 18 with 2163 viewsFtnfwest

What will it put on its passport though?
‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:47 - Mar 18 with 2159 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:41 - Mar 18 by footers

Your replies to others' posts generally demonstrate that you don't understand. You have drawn an equivalance with chimps. These are cheap lines that people who don't understand gender issues often come out with, including Gervais. It's also very insulting to people who do not wish to associate with either gender, or have more complex relationships with their associations than most.

I know that's very difficult for someone to understand from a 'straight-talking' point of view, but unless you've experience it or know people who have experienced it it's unlikely you would have been exposed to these ideas before, save from wags like Gervais.

"Why are these labels being made?" Because other people have different experiences of gender and require a term that defines it.

"What is the actual aim of these extra names being given to describe a man or a woman[?]" To help aid in the comprehension of these ideas.

"How can that be good for society if it would be offensive to refer to a person as their gender?" Other people choose how they wish to be known; that is their right which should be respected. There is a reason we don't call black people 'coloured' any more- they found it offensive and hurtful.

"So when does the world know when they can refer to him as such?" This is why non-binary people often use the third person 'they' or in more extreme cases 'it'.

It is difficult at first to ascertain someone's chosen pronoun- but all you have to do is ask. I hate getting people's names wrong when first meeting them so usually insist on getting it right the first time even if that does mean asking them directly. This is especially true when working with people from many different cultures.

I'm called Joe and would hate it if people called me John or Jo (as happens frequently). That's not my name, so have the courtesy of calling me by my proper name. This is no different.

Good post, Joey.

Login to get fewer ads

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:51 - Mar 18 with 2145 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:47 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

Good post, Joey.

Ha! Funny you should mention that... Ordered some food today and you know when they take your name as well? This Spanish chap had difficulty with my name so I spelt it out in Spanish letters for him. When it got to the 'e' he misunderstood or something so I said 'e' in English, which in Spanish is obviously 'y'. Thus my name was rendered Joey. Not getting my custom again, I tell you what.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:52 - Mar 18 with 2143 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I haven’t drawn an equivalence with chimps. I specifically was quoting the quite-funny Ricky Gervais sketch. In no way was that a serious comparison from both myself and him. Obviously. It was exaggeration for hunerous purposes I’m assuming - though you’ll have to ask him yourself but that was my interpretation.

Some interesting points there. I personally would think referring to a person as ‘it’ rather than Sam Smith as ‘he’ as clearly more offensive. So maybe to that level I don’t understand.

‘All you have to do is ask’. So every person we meet, we should ask if they are a ‘he’, a ‘she’, a ‘they’ or an ‘it’. And you don’t think that’s a slight issue for society? Commentators on sport unsure how to identify people, this causing offence because someone has decided they’re gender fluid all of a sudden because they see someone else is. 5 years ago, there was no such thing as these new labels. When will it end? How many labels will there be? 10? 20? 50? 100?

You have answered some questions so thanks I suppose for that. I don’t think you can compare getting someone’s name wrong as the same as something that continuously changes as a ‘gender fluids’ gender can. It’s literally a case for Sam Smith where it changes ‘daily’.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:52 - Mar 18 with 2141 viewsjeera

You go Joe!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:54 - Mar 18 with 2129 viewsSpruceMoose

Meanwhile Joe roped me back in then bogged off!

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:56 - Mar 18 with 2122 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:52 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

I haven’t drawn an equivalence with chimps. I specifically was quoting the quite-funny Ricky Gervais sketch. In no way was that a serious comparison from both myself and him. Obviously. It was exaggeration for hunerous purposes I’m assuming - though you’ll have to ask him yourself but that was my interpretation.

Some interesting points there. I personally would think referring to a person as ‘it’ rather than Sam Smith as ‘he’ as clearly more offensive. So maybe to that level I don’t understand.

‘All you have to do is ask’. So every person we meet, we should ask if they are a ‘he’, a ‘she’, a ‘they’ or an ‘it’. And you don’t think that’s a slight issue for society? Commentators on sport unsure how to identify people, this causing offence because someone has decided they’re gender fluid all of a sudden because they see someone else is. 5 years ago, there was no such thing as these new labels. When will it end? How many labels will there be? 10? 20? 50? 100?

You have answered some questions so thanks I suppose for that. I don’t think you can compare getting someone’s name wrong as the same as something that continuously changes as a ‘gender fluids’ gender can. It’s literally a case for Sam Smith where it changes ‘daily’.

Since the vast, vast majority of society will not fall into this bracket I don't think it's something you need to preoccupy yourself with. If it's an issue they'll likely tell you.

Quite likely just calling Sam 'Sam' is applicable in almost any scenario- so no need to go the pronoun route at all, really.

Yes, the name thing was just an example- my name has nothing to do with my gender or sexual orientation. Still annoying to hear other people get others' names wrong!

Glad my answers have been helpful :)

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:57 - Mar 18 with 2117 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:54 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

Meanwhile Joe roped me back in then bogged off!

I'll hogtie you in a second, sweet cheeks.

Could be fun.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2019 18:57]

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:57 - Mar 18 with 2115 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:56 - Mar 18 by footers

Since the vast, vast majority of society will not fall into this bracket I don't think it's something you need to preoccupy yourself with. If it's an issue they'll likely tell you.

Quite likely just calling Sam 'Sam' is applicable in almost any scenario- so no need to go the pronoun route at all, really.

Yes, the name thing was just an example- my name has nothing to do with my gender or sexual orientation. Still annoying to hear other people get others' names wrong!

Glad my answers have been helpful :)

Another good post Jim.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:58 - Mar 18 with 2108 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:57 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

Another good post Jim.

Call me what you like, baby- just call me.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:02 - Mar 18 with 2095 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 18:58 - Mar 18 by footers

Call me what you like, baby- just call me.

I'll call you Large Marge the Party Barge.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:04 - Mar 18 with 2087 viewswkj

Im not sure I like what I am seeing here, me being replaced by footers. We're going to have serious issues when [REDACTED] comes back and says both of you are the same person.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:07 - Mar 18 with 2078 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:04 - Mar 18 by wkj

Im not sure I like what I am seeing here, me being replaced by footers. We're going to have serious issues when [REDACTED] comes back and says both of you are the same person.

Listen, TWTD is strictly verboten for me during working hours now. Only when I'm on a fag break will you get my wit and wisdom. The rest of the day can be taken up with your inane musings. Deal?

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:08 - Mar 18 with 2070 viewswkj

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:07 - Mar 18 by footers

Listen, TWTD is strictly verboten for me during working hours now. Only when I'm on a fag break will you get my wit and wisdom. The rest of the day can be taken up with your inane musings. Deal?

fk me, you are Spruce... jesus... call me Mel

Crybaby

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:09 - Mar 18 with 2060 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:08 - Mar 18 by wkj

fk me, you are Spruce... jesus... call me Mel

Mel and Spruce? Could do the Bake Off.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:10 - Mar 18 with 2055 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:09 - Mar 18 by footers

Mel and Spruce? Could do the Bake Off.

How long is the cigarette you're currently smoking? You've been on here ages.

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:11 - Mar 18 with 2052 viewswkj

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:10 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

Too long, but that is just my opinion.

Crybaby

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:12 - Mar 18 with 2044 viewsfooters

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:10 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:13 - Mar 18 with 2041 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Sam Smith comes out as non-binary’ on 19:11 - Mar 18 by wkj

Too long, but that is just my opinion.

Feelings>Opinions>Facts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024