Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGoldrick was open to staying? 10:41 - Mar 19 with 3377 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Does anyone believe this news story? I'm not sure it was as simple as that as I think it was widely accepted view that McG was looking at his options in the summer.

(not a dig) Mick even mentioned it a couple of times so I expect that it was ME's expectation that McG wasn't interested and therefore unwilling to sign a new deal if he was offered one.

Overall another sorry chapter in a series of poor management and leadership from the very top, but not sure this one falls completely at Hurst's door, as ME (if anyone) dropped the ball if these quotes are to be believed
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:44 - Mar 19 with 3365 viewswkj

I believe it, McG doesn't strike me as the type to spin a yarn, especially when there is absolutely no benefit for him to do so. While McG could easily have been favouring a move away, I am sure he would have been open to staying if the deal was right for him.

And there in lies the key-
Was McG wanting too much for hurst to justify, or did Hurst have a total lack of faith in every single striker at our disposal (at the time Sears was more a wide man)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:45 - Mar 19 with 3354 viewsPositivelyPortman

IIRC most on this board we’re glad to see the back of the original sick noter.
It seems that sitting in a car travelling to Town was the cause of all his injuries.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:48 - Mar 19 with 3327 viewswkj

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:45 - Mar 19 by PositivelyPortman

It seems that sitting in a car travelling to Town was the cause of all his injuries.

I was of the opinion he should go too, generally of the mind he wasn't fit and up for it, had I had so much as an inkling of belief he could stay fit all season and put 12 or more goals away, I'd have been backtracking my opinion in double speed.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:50 - Mar 19 with 3313 viewsOxford_Blue

Didn’t Hurst expressly say that DM was sold without his knowledge or consent and didn’t appear on any of the team sheets on day one??

Either way, not sure DM not being present was the issue. It was Celina, Waghorn and Garner.
I'd say wages were key on 10:51 - Mar 19 with 3305 viewsDyland

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:44 - Mar 19 by wkj

I believe it, McG doesn't strike me as the type to spin a yarn, especially when there is absolutely no benefit for him to do so. While McG could easily have been favouring a move away, I am sure he would have been open to staying if the deal was right for him.

Was McG wanting too much for hurst to justify, or did Hurst have a total lack of faith in every single striker at our disposal (at the time Sears was more a wide man)

There are fundamental failings one can point at Hurst but McG leaving isn't one of them. If anything someone higher up could or should have insisted one or more of the strikers stayed and Hurst had to get om with it re funds and wages. That he was seemingly trusted with carte blanche is a MEG failing as much as anything.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:52 - Mar 19 with 3297 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

The general consensus was that we were happy (or atleast willing) to let him go wasn't it?

I seem to recall lots of excitement at the thought of using the money saved on his wages to pay for some of Hurst's lower league punts.

That's not to say McG will forever stay injury free and these lower league punts don't amount to anything, but this is definitely another 'egg on face' moment for the club.
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:52 - Mar 19 with 3294 viewsJon_456

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:44 - Mar 19 by wkj

I do wonder if ME made the decision to not renew his contract.

Neither Hurst and DM really have a reason to lie. Hurst could have easily said he decided not to keep DM due to his form and injuries over the past 2 years and being our highest paid player.

Sounds like McGoldrick was led to believe Hurst didn’t want him and Hurst was under the impression McGoldrick didn’t want to stay..
Good post but even then it's not so black and white on 10:54 - Mar 19 with 3281 viewsDyland

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:52 - Mar 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

The general consensus was that we were happy (or atleast willing) to let him go wasn't it?

I seem to recall lots of excitement at the thought of using the money saved on his wages to pay for some of Hurst's lower league punts.

That's not to say McG will forever stay injury free and these lower league punts don't amount to anything, but this is definitely another 'egg on face' moment for the club.

I was excited (as tremulous as confident, mind) with the new signings but no way did I ever feel McG leaving was a good thing. He was our best player, injuries notwithstanding.... which adds another element to the mix.

Totally agree with your last para.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:00 - Mar 19 with 3256 viewsITFC_Forever

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:45 - Mar 19 by PositivelyPortman

No, most on this board realise he was the best player we had for all the time he was here.

When he was out of the team, we missed him so much it was embarrassing.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:15 - Mar 19 with 3180 viewsPositivelyPortman

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:00 - Mar 19 by ITFC_Forever

No, most on this board realise he was the best player we had for all the time he was here.

That was the problem wasn’t it. He was always injured.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:16 - Mar 19 with 3165 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:52 - Mar 19 by Jon_456

I do wonder if ME made the decision to not renew his contract.

Neither Hurst and DM really have a reason to lie. Hurst could have easily said he decided not to keep DM due to his form and injuries over the past 2 years and being our highest paid player.

Sounds like McGoldrick was led to believe Hurst didn’t want him and Hurst was under the impression McGoldrick didn’t want to stay..

That last sentence probably sums up ME and his approach to leadership in his time at the helm.
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:28 - Mar 19 with 3143 viewsuefacup81

Reading between the lines, it's only because he was released that McGoldrick has kicked himself up the a*se and come back in the way that he has.

Looking at the story, he all but admits to being in a comfortable position here at ITFC, so I dare say a new contract here may have resulted in more of the same. Suddenly he found himself without a club, in a position where people weren't tripping over themselves to sign him, and he had to put more effort in to make himself a marketable option.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:35 - Mar 19 with 3117 viewsHerbivore

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:28 - Mar 19 by uefacup81

Reading between the lines, it's only because he was released that McGoldrick has kicked himself up the a*se and come back in the way that he has.

Looking at the story, he all but admits to being in a comfortable position here at ITFC, so I dare say a new contract here may have resulted in more of the same. Suddenly he found himself without a club, in a position where people weren't tripping over themselves to sign him, and he had to put more effort in to make himself a marketable option.

Agree with this. Even had he stayed I'm not sure we'd have seen the player Sheffield United are getting.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:36 - Mar 19 with 3103 viewsBluefish

He was still our best player though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:37 - Mar 19 with 3100 viewsuefacup81

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:36 - Mar 19 by Bluefish

He was still our best player though

For six games a season.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:37 - Mar 19 with 3096 viewsBluefish

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 10:50 - Mar 19 by Oxford_Blue

Didn’t Hurst expressly say that DM was sold without his knowledge or consent and didn’t appear on any of the team sheets on day one??

Either way, not sure DM not being present was the issue. It was Celina, Waghorn and Garner.

Celina? He was the best player on the world when he wasn't playing but flattered to deceive when he was

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:49 - Mar 19 with 3054 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed, he admits to being in a comfort zone, and theres also the fact that he was in his car for about 4 hours a day, which cant have helped his fitness / injury record.

A new start was probably best all round.

Fair play to Didz for the new start, good to see him doing well.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 12:15 - Mar 19 with 2986 viewsSteve_M

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:00 - Mar 19 by ITFC_Forever

Chambers also said at a fans forum about a year ago, certainly whilst McCarthy was still here, that the players wanted him to stay and implied that McGoldrick was open to that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 12:37 - Mar 19 with 2901 viewsitfcjoe

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 11:49 - Mar 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed, he admits to being in a comfort zone, and theres also the fact that he was in his car for about 4 hours a day, which cant have helped his fitness / injury record.

A new start was probably best all round.

Fair play to Didz for the new start, good to see him doing well.

He wasn't travelling for 4 hours a day, that is a myth

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 15:15 - Mar 19 with 2718 viewsWickets

Maybe i have got this wrong but i thought this was done and dusted before ME appointed Hurst ? (Phil ? ) also most of us thought that he was a big risk as our highest paid on our smallish budget. He also has stated that he got kind of comftable at Town and being shown the door gave him the kick up the backside he needed . Quite a lot we can lay at Hurst's door but i'm not sure this can be !.
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 15:26 - Mar 19 with 2696 viewsChampionship

I find it really hard to believe.
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 16:18 - Mar 19 with 2634 viewsArnieM

I don’t believe it. McGoldrick made no secret of the fact he wanted to move back to midlands/ north. It certainly wasn’t Hursts fault as Didsy had left the club before he arrived.

Really not sure why McGokdtick is coming out with this because it’s utter BS!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 16:24 - Mar 19 with 2625 viewsPJH

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 16:18 - Mar 19 by ArnieM

I don’t believe it. McGoldrick made no secret of the fact he wanted to move back to midlands/ north. It certainly wasn’t Hursts fault as Didsy had left the club before he arrived.

Really not sure why McGokdtick is coming out with this because it’s utter BS!

Although technically McG was under contract to ITFC until 30th June so if what McG says is true(and if it is not why say it?)then Hurst could presumably have made some effort to get him to sign another contract if he(Hurst) wanted to.

I was certainly under the impression that McG was leaving whoever the manager was and would not be signing a new contract if one was offered so the quote is surprising but no reason to assume that it is not true.
McGoldrick was open to staying? on 03:47 - Mar 20 with 2390 viewsKeaneish

Fairly open and closed this isn’t it? McG’s contract was allowed to run down as ME knew MM was off and it takes the injury prone highest earner off our books. Looks like a board decision rather than a managerial one for anyone blaming MM or PH.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

McGoldrick was open to staying? on 06:41 - Mar 20 with 2339 viewsEly_Blue

Ah you mean a bit like he did when MM first signed him for us?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024