Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welcome to the 19th century 09:53 - Mar 20 with 1242 viewsStokieBlue

- Distrust of foreigners - check.
- Rule Britannia mindset - check.
- New coal mines - check.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cumbria-coal-mine-woodhouse-colliery-c

A totally baffling decision unanimously made by a council of Labour, Lib Dem and Tory councillors.

"However we felt that the need for coking coal, the number of jobs on offer and the chance to remove contamination outweighed concerns about climate change and local amenity."

SB
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 10:04]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Welcome to the 19th century on 09:57 - Mar 20 with 1212 viewschicoazul

Welp, the Chinese are building loads of them, and we have to eat somehow.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:05 - Mar 20 with 1183 viewsStokieBlue

Welcome to the 19th century on 09:57 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

Welp, the Chinese are building loads of them, and we have to eat somehow.

Sorry, my bad, that makes it fine then.

SB

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:06 - Mar 20 with 1178 viewsfooters

Where do I collect my stovepipe hat? Mutton chops shouldn't be a worry, just give me a couple of months.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:07 - Mar 20 with 1178 viewschicoazul

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:05 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

Sorry, my bad, that makes it fine then.

SB

Well whats your solution? Dont wind turbines for instance require steel, which in turn requires coaking coal?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:11 - Mar 20 with 1158 viewsGuthrum

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:07 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

Well whats your solution? Dont wind turbines for instance require steel, which in turn requires coaking coal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:14 - Mar 20 with 1151 viewschicoazul

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:11 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

How do we generate the electricity needed to power and indeed, make those? I promise you I am not being antagonistic, I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinions on this.

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:20 - Mar 20 with 1135 viewsBrianTablet

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:14 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

How do we generate the electricity needed to power and indeed, make those? I promise you I am not being antagonistic, I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinions on this.

What we should actually be doing is creating swamps so we can start to prepare our own sustainable coal.

#takebackcontrol

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:21 - Mar 20 with 1131 viewsGuthrum

Nuclear, renewables. If we're going to use hydrocarbons, gas is better than coal (plus we have decent reserves of it around the UK, the easily/economically extractable coal is mostly gone). Even burning waste (tho that carries problems with pollution).
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 10:22]

Login to get fewer ads

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:24 - Mar 20 with 1120 viewsbaxterbasics

We need to accelerate the fracking, and nuclear. We actually needed a decision on nuclear to have been made 15 years ago but Blair was unable to show any leadership and kicked it into the long grass. Now we are screwed.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:24 - Mar 20 with 1115 viewschicoazul

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:20 - Mar 20 by BrianTablet

What we should actually be doing is creating swamps so we can start to prepare our own sustainable coal.

#takebackcontrol

No what we need to do is create Jurassic Park, bury the dead dinosaurs for 50m years, then dig them up and use them for petrol. Long term option.

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:25 - Mar 20 with 1114 viewsStokieBlue

Coal is just about the worst choice available for generating electricity and as Guthrum has pointed out, coking coal isn't really needed either.

SB

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:26 - Mar 20 with 1111 viewschicoazul

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:21 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Nuclear, renewables. If we're going to use hydrocarbons, gas is better than coal (plus we have decent reserves of it around the UK, the easily/economically extractable coal is mostly gone). Even burning waste (tho that carries problems with pollution).
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 10:22]

Why is gas better? I agree on nuke and renewables btw but it seems like we dont have the brains for nuke nowadays and have to deal with the French Japanese and Chinese. And again, all those things require steel in the first place.

Welcome to the 19th century (edited) on 10:35 - Mar 20 with 1098 viewsGuthrum

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:26 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

Why is gas better? I agree on nuke and renewables btw but it seems like we dont have the brains for nuke nowadays and have to deal with the French Japanese and Chinese. And again, all those things require steel in the first place.

Ash from coal-burning power stations is nasty stuff - actually radioactive. Gas produces half the carbon dioxide emmissions of coal. Can be piped rather than hauled.

Oh, and it's not that we don't have the brains for nuclear, just not the money for building (very expensive) new plants.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 10:38]

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:37 - Mar 20 with 1086 viewschicoazul

Welcome to the 19th century (edited) on 10:35 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Ash from coal-burning power stations is nasty stuff - actually radioactive. Gas produces half the carbon dioxide emmissions of coal. Can be piped rather than hauled.

Oh, and it's not that we don't have the brains for nuclear, just not the money for building (very expensive) new plants.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 10:38]

Interesting. thanks!

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:38 - Mar 20 with 1084 viewsGuthrum

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:37 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

Interesting. thanks!

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:45 - Mar 20 with 1062 viewshampstead_blue

Why the need for coal?

That is bonkers. Have those councillors not heard of climate change?

They should be put in the stocks......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Welcome to the 19th century on 12:33 - Mar 20 with 990 viewsBrianTablet

Welcome to the 19th century on 10:24 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

No what we need to do is create Jurassic Park, bury the dead dinosaurs for 50m years, then dig them up and use them for petrol. Long term option.

You've just described The Cobbold Stand

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024