Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Google Stadia - the future of gaming? 11:44 - Mar 20 with 1526 viewsGavTWTD

Anyone heard of Google Stadia? The idea is that you don't need high-end game consoles to play games. You play the game on their server and they stream the video to any device.

I'd be concerned about latency but I assume they've thought of that.

https://store.google.com/magazine/stadia

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 12:08 - Mar 20 with 1477 viewsSouperJim

Streaming of games has been on the horizon for a while, certainly seems like it's the way the industry are heading. It remains to be seen what the cost is to the end user, but could very well mean cheaper gaming for all when you consider the initial outlay of a console, cost of software etc.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:09 - Mar 20 with 1389 viewsbournemouthblue

It's nothing new, Nvidia have been offering this service on their Shield Consoles for some time

Obviously it will have more success with Google behind it

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:12 - Mar 20 with 1381 viewswkj

I mean, it fits the gaming as a service model that dominates AAA titles now, so, it only makes sense. RE Latency- I am sure each title will have a set amount of data that needs to be downloaded client side while the rest is streamed, much like how MMOs deliver patch content while players are playing.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:14 - Mar 20 with 1378 viewswkj

That said, the top comment (at the time of posting this) sums up the biggest issue for me

"Now they want to collect my behavior while I'm gaming too?"

Crybaby

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:21 - Mar 20 with 1352 viewsvilanovablue

If you have a decent fibre-optic broadband connection it will work, given how huge Google are I expect that they will have servers based in the country you are playing from. It is only initially launching in the US, UK and Canada so I personally am intrigued. If anyone can make this work Google can. An Assassin's Creed game was available in beta which apparently worked flawlessly.
Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:23 - Mar 20 with 1350 viewswkj

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:21 - Mar 20 by vilanovablue

If you have a decent fibre-optic broadband connection it will work, given how huge Google are I expect that they will have servers based in the country you are playing from. It is only initially launching in the US, UK and Canada so I personally am intrigued. If anyone can make this work Google can. An Assassin's Creed game was available in beta which apparently worked flawlessly.

Amazon won't be far behind, their infrastructure is as good, if not better in some regards, for on demand streaming - again though; the concern to me is what they know and what they can do. Advertising hoardings in game, dynamic bill boards will real ads in game, etc etc

Crybaby

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:39 - Mar 20 with 1325 viewsvilanovablue

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:23 - Mar 20 by wkj

Amazon won't be far behind, their infrastructure is as good, if not better in some regards, for on demand streaming - again though; the concern to me is what they know and what they can do. Advertising hoardings in game, dynamic bill boards will real ads in game, etc etc

As they suck up the information they have on most of us already...
Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:42 - Mar 20 with 1313 viewsBluebell

Gav....you lost me right at the beginning but when you put the word 'latency' in I have decided I must live an another planet. What does that mean?

Maybe I am just old!
Login to get fewer ads

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:44 - Mar 20 with 1303 viewswkj

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:42 - Mar 20 by Bluebell

Gav....you lost me right at the beginning but when you put the word 'latency' in I have decided I must live an another planet. What does that mean?

Maybe I am just old!

Latency is actually along the same lines as Late.

The higher latency you have, the later your signal arrives to/from its destination, in other words that speed of your internet is too slow to stream the content, much like when netflix/youtube/amazon prime video pauses in place for a time.

Crybaby

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:49 - Mar 20 with 1291 viewsBluebell

Google Stadia - the future of gaming? on 13:44 - Mar 20 by wkj

Latency is actually along the same lines as Late.

The higher latency you have, the later your signal arrives to/from its destination, in other words that speed of your internet is too slow to stream the content, much like when netflix/youtube/amazon prime video pauses in place for a time.

So why not use the work late?

Sorry I am being pedantic. I knew what it meant.

(I Googled it ).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024