Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bets suspended on a GE 16:31 - Mar 20 with 6471 viewsStokieBlue

Don't think it's going to happen but apparently May is going to give a statement tonight and Paddy Power has stopped taking bets on a GE being called.

Reported by the Independent Live feed.

I suspect it'll be more of the same, likely blaming the EU for not doing exactly what she wanted with regards to the delay. Peston saying it could be that she won't remain as PM if brexit is delayed past Jun 30th.

Guess nobody has a clue.

SB

Edit: That's a clickbait headline even the Mail would be proud of

[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 16:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:17 - Mar 20 with 1669 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

She hasn't taken the international break well has she.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:18 - Mar 20 with 1670 viewsRadlett_blue

How would a General Election resolve the Brexit crisis, given that (1) the main parties are divided on the issue and (2) you can't have a General election on one issue???

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:23 - Mar 20 with 1650 viewsHerbivore

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:15 - Mar 20 by sparks

I think its very hard to judge. She has persisted doggedly at a frankly impossible task.

Jesus wept.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:37 - Mar 20 with 1645 viewsLord_Lucan

I think its very hard to judge. She has persisted doggedly at a frankly impossible task.

Despite me not being a fan, a month or so ago I thought she was doing her best in a very difficult situation but now I think she has made a complete pigs ear of it.

This government has to be the poorest since Callaghan’s mob.

Slightly off topic I flicked the TV over last night and one of those can’t pay we’ll take it away things was on. It showed an old couple being kicked out of their rented flat, they had one hour to leave - and they did. I couldn’t believe that there was no safety net for them. I couldn’t sleep last night, it really upset me.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:38 - Mar 20 with 1644 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:37 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

Despite me not being a fan, a month or so ago I thought she was doing her best in a very difficult situation but now I think she has made a complete pigs ear of it.

Slightly off topic I flicked the TV over last night and one of those can’t pay we’ll take it away things was on. It showed an old couple being kicked out of their rented flat, they had one hour to leave - and they did. I couldn’t believe that there was no safety net for them. I couldn’t sleep last night, it really upset me.

They would have had various notices over a period of time and the council have a duty to them as well.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:41 - Mar 20 with 1638 viewsfooters

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:37 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

There was one where they had to move on a family caring for an intensely ill baby, hooked up to all the medical gizmos in their front room. Sometimes life overtakes finances, things just become too much and all those letters/calls go unanswered. Who'd be a bailiff?

I might be on the next series. An unpaid bus ticket cost dear old footers £600. Had just taken delivery of a brand-new chef's knife which was sitting on my desk at the time. He looked at it, looked at me and said "You're not going to use that, are you?" When he told me it was £600 I did consider it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:42 - Mar 20 with 1634 viewsandytown

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:38 - Mar 20 by sparks

They would have had various notices over a period of time and the council have a duty to them as well.

It can’t be a GE can it? Thought two thirds of MPs had to vote for one now under the fixed term parliament act?
Bets suspended on a GE on 18:44 - Mar 20 with 1625 viewsLord_Lucan

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:38 - Mar 20 by sparks

Well they walked out of their home with a suitcase each - probably to the council. I didn’t see the closing part of the program for the update and I also accept that some of the context may have been missing - but even so. They were in Hounslow and it was mentioned that they had had a letter offering them accommodation in Birmingham.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:51 - Mar 20 with 1606 viewsvapour_trail

She has persisted doggedly.

The fact her task is impossible is entirely of her own making.

She still has a chance though, of driving through her damaging deal.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:53 - Mar 20 with 1600 viewsfooters

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:51 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

That's what I reckon she'll say tonight. It's my deal or no deal. But of course if it's neither she'll resign and we should get a long extension (hopefully).

Or maybe she'll just resign- but I seriously doubt that.

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:53 - Mar 20 with 1601 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:51 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

The impossibility is not of her making.

The deal is damaging primarily because of the backstop issue- which seems pretty much insurmountable.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:56 - Mar 20 with 1592 viewsSpruceMoose

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:53 - Mar 20 by sparks

The deal is damaging primarily because of the backstop issue- which seems pretty much insurmountable.

Indeed. There's no way around the backstop currently.

[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 18:57]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Bets suspended on a GE on 18:56 - Mar 20 with 1582 viewsHerbivore

The backstop is needed because of her red lines. There are other options. I know you're a dyed in the wool Tory but open your eyes to what's happening. She's a disgrace and your party is a shambles.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:01 - Mar 20 with 1577 viewsvapour_trail

Of course it is.

Her red lines.
Her intransigence.
Her vanity election.
Her policy of hiding during the referendum campaign to enhance her career prospects.

W@nker.

Edit: the w@nker is in reference to our prime minister, as opposed to you sparks.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 19:02]

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:03 - Mar 20 with 1566 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:01 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

Of course it is.

Her red lines.
Her intransigence.
Her vanity election.
Her policy of hiding during the referendum campaign to enhance her career prospects.

W@nker.

Edit: the w@nker is in reference to our prime minister, as opposed to you sparks.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 19:02]

Well that is the Corbyn line.

But the reality is that the deal is about as good as can be done, but is scuppered by the backstop problem. Which scuppers just about every option other than a very very soft exit which has complete customs union and probably doesnt deal with any of the issues we are supposed to be leaving for.

What "red lines" is she unreasonably holding which prevent the deal being done?

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:08 - Mar 20 with 1549 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:03 - Mar 20 by sparks

Well that is the Corbyn line.

But the reality is that the deal is about as good as can be done, but is scuppered by the backstop problem. Which scuppers just about every option other than a very very soft exit which has complete customs union and probably doesnt deal with any of the issues we are supposed to be leaving for.

What "red lines" is she unreasonably holding which prevent the deal being done?

We both know what the red lines are.

The deal might be as good as she can get based on her initial bargaining position.

The backstop is clearly essential unless we rip up the GFA. You have to be a Farage style nuttter to go there.

I’ll ignore the corbyn reference.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:09 - Mar 20 with 1547 viewsOldsmoker

BBC News website says 8:15pm for Mays statement.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:10 - Mar 20 with 1545 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:08 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

We both know what the red lines are.

The deal might be as good as she can get based on her initial bargaining position.

The backstop is clearly essential unless we rip up the GFA. You have to be a Farage style nuttter to go there.

I’ll ignore the corbyn reference.

Tell me what red line prevents the deal from being done. I keep hearing Corbyn and Zed saying that its May's red lines which cause the problem. Perhaps I havent paid enough attention, but I have yet to understand that assertion.

The issue is the backstop and the difficulty of an Irish border which is at once a border and seamless.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:17 - Mar 20 with 1517 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:10 - Mar 20 by sparks

Tell me what red line prevents the deal from being done. I keep hearing Corbyn and Zed saying that its May's red lines which cause the problem. Perhaps I havent paid enough attention, but I have yet to understand that assertion.

The issue is the backstop and the difficulty of an Irish border which is at once a border and seamless.

It isn’t just Mays red lines that cause the problem. It’s decades of grief within the tories and a sustained campaign of lies from Tory eurosceptic fundamentalists to the general public that have done that.

On the red lines, in theory it’s freedom of movement and the customs union. In practice it’s the customs union.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:18 - Mar 20 with 1513 viewsJakeITFC

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:10 - Mar 20 by sparks

Well the border becomes a problem if red lines exist on the single market, the customs union and freedom of movement.

Whether you agree with the red lines or not (or think that somebody else negotiating would have the same red lines), it’s her lack of flexibility on these that have cause the problems.
Bets suspended on a GE on 19:20 - Mar 20 with 1501 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:18 - Mar 20 by JakeITFC

Well the border becomes a problem if red lines exist on the single market, the customs union and freedom of movement.

Whether you agree with the red lines or not (or think that somebody else negotiating would have the same red lines), it’s her lack of flexibility on these that have cause the problems.

OK- I get it- its about the customs union and freedom of movement. Two fundamentals of leaving. The backstop issue goes away if you agree freedom of movement and a full customs union, because we have no border.

Which, surely, isnt brexit in any meaningful sense?

People keep talking as if May has imposed some unreasonable arbitrary "red lines" which cause all the problems- but what we are really talking about is this:

The essence of leaving the EU is about leaving the controls of the single market, customs union and freedom of movement. If May says we dont need those things, then inevitably a backstop is unecessary and we will never really leave. Thats not an abritrary reed line, its just an inherent property of leaving.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 19:23]

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:22 - Mar 20 with 1484 viewsfooters

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:20 - Mar 20 by sparks

OK- I get it- its about the customs union and freedom of movement. Two fundamentals of leaving. The backstop issue goes away if you agree freedom of movement and a full customs union, because we have no border.

People keep talking as if May has imposed some unreasonable arbitrary "red lines" which cause all the problems- but what we are really talking about is this:

The essence of leaving the EU is about leaving the controls of the single market, customs union and freedom of movement. If May says we dont need those things, then inevitably a backstop is unecessary and we will never really leave. Thats not an abritrary reed line, its just an inherent property of leaving.

'Brexit' and 'sense' don't belong in the same sentence.

If 'Brexit means Brexit' - a complete, hard break- then May's deal isn't 'Brexit is any meaningful sense' either.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:23 - Mar 20 with 1476 viewsJakeITFC

Well it’s quite ridiculous to say we want to end freedom of movement and frictionless importing/exporting whilst insisting that we need no hard border in Ireland.

It’s almost as if these things hadn’t been thought about very hard before the referendum.
Bets suspended on a GE on 19:24 - Mar 20 with 1471 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:22 - Mar 20 by footers

'Brexit' and 'sense' don't belong in the same sentence.

If 'Brexit means Brexit' - a complete, hard break- then May's deal isn't 'Brexit is any meaningful sense' either.

Splitting hairs tbh. Mays deal achieves most of what is required but is scuppered by the Irish border.

Ironically, of course, many MPs are objecting to a second referendum on democratic grounds- but the Irish border, which is the primary sticking point, was never part of hte mainstream agenda when the first referendum happened.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:25 - Mar 20 with 1462 viewsvapour_trail

Well this is the thing isn’t it. There’s your (I assume) fundamentals of leaving right there. But nobody defined it at the time of the vote, it was remain or leave.

I recall for example, a lot more talk about freedom of movement during the campaign. Nothing on the Irish border, curiously. Mays red lines are preventing progress. If leave means leave, perhaps we should just withdraw, no agreement in place, no commitments honoured, and start from scratch on a future relationship?

That’s your meaningful sense isn’t it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024