Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bets suspended on a GE 16:31 - Mar 20 with 6467 viewsStokieBlue

Don't think it's going to happen but apparently May is going to give a statement tonight and Paddy Power has stopped taking bets on a GE being called.

Reported by the Independent Live feed.

I suspect it'll be more of the same, likely blaming the EU for not doing exactly what she wanted with regards to the delay. Peston saying it could be that she won't remain as PM if brexit is delayed past Jun 30th.

Guess nobody has a clue.

SB

Edit: That's a clickbait headline even the Mail would be proud of

[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 16:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:30 - Mar 20 with 1456 viewsPinewoodblue

Three but her statement will include a comment about how holding EU elections in May wouldn't be in anyone's interest. What she really means is in England only Lib Dem and candidates of Nigel Farage's party would be directly elected.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:35 - Mar 20 with 1445 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:25 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

Well this is the thing isn’t it. There’s your (I assume) fundamentals of leaving right there. But nobody defined it at the time of the vote, it was remain or leave.

I recall for example, a lot more talk about freedom of movement during the campaign. Nothing on the Irish border, curiously. Mays red lines are preventing progress. If leave means leave, perhaps we should just withdraw, no agreement in place, no commitments honoured, and start from scratch on a future relationship?

That’s your meaningful sense isn’t it?

I dont think thats a fair or reasonable argument.

Leaving the EU surely inherently means not having freedom of movement and effective unions as if we were still in it, whilst also being able to make trade deals elsewhere- which would not be possible.

These are not Mays red lines- they are very obviously completely inherent in the concept of leaving.

I think its a rather cheap argument and typically party politcal narrative building to say that the problem is Mays red lines, when they are inextricably linked to leaving, and when the actual problem is (as you say) one which really wasnt on the radar for the most part at the time of the original vote.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:39 - Mar 20 with 1430 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:35 - Mar 20 by sparks

Leaving the EU surely inherently means not having freedom of movement and effective unions as if we were still in it, whilst also being able to make trade deals elsewhere- which would not be possible.

These are not Mays red lines- they are very obviously completely inherent in the concept of leaving.

I think its a rather cheap argument and typically party politcal narrative building to say that the problem is Mays red lines, when they are inextricably linked to leaving, and when the actual problem is (as you say) one which really wasnt on the radar for the most part at the time of the original vote.

So a leave without a withdrawal agreement then.

And then discussion on future relationship to follow.

More popularly referenced, as no deal.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:40 - Mar 20 with 1426 viewsJakeITFC

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:35 - Mar 20 by sparks

Well yes, it is probably unfair to just say May’s red lines when they are Brexit (in most people’s sense of the word) red lines.

Of course it’s been quite obvious for some time that these red lines are unworkable without a hard border in Ireland. May has shown no flexibility and whilst some people/media bought her nonsense as impressive negotiation and stubbornness for a while, the truth is that she and her team have achieved absolutely nothing in 2.5 years.

So whilst the red lines might not have been hers to start with, she owns the fucck out of them now.
Bets suspended on a GE on 19:41 - Mar 20 with 1421 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:39 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

So a leave without a withdrawal agreement then.

And then discussion on future relationship to follow.

More popularly referenced, as no deal.

I don't think I have expressed a view on any of that- you are putting words in my keyboard!

I just dont accept this narrative that Corbyn is selling people, that the problem is arbitrary red lines set by May. Its not.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:45 - Mar 20 with 1406 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:41 - Mar 20 by sparks

I don't think I have expressed a view on any of that- you are putting words in my keyboard!

I just dont accept this narrative that Corbyn is selling people, that the problem is arbitrary red lines set by May. Its not.

Absolutely not. I make no attempt to represent you. You’re a fukcing lawyer FFS.

I’m asking you given what you’ve laid out, whether subsequently that is where we end up.

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:48 - Mar 20 with 1378 viewsHerbivore

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:41 - Mar 20 by sparks

Arbitrary is language you've introduced. Classic straw manning as usual.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bets suspended on a GE on 20:32 - Mar 20 with 1336 viewsChampionship

One of the Tory Brexit lot was just on the news and said May ruled out a people's vote.
Login to get fewer ads

Bets suspended on a GE on 20:56 - Mar 20 with 1317 viewsLord_Lucan

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:40 - Mar 20 by JakeITFC

Well yes, it is probably unfair to just say May’s red lines when they are Brexit (in most people’s sense of the word) red lines.

Of course it’s been quite obvious for some time that these red lines are unworkable without a hard border in Ireland. May has shown no flexibility and whilst some people/media bought her nonsense as impressive negotiation and stubbornness for a while, the truth is that she and her team have achieved absolutely nothing in 2.5 years.

So whilst the red lines might not have been hers to start with, she owns the fucck out of them now.

WTO, EU and UK have all said they won’t impose a hard border. I have read the GFA and I cannot see how Brexit affects it,in any case there has always been a common travel area for decades - pre EU.

The whole thing is a nightmare anyway as certain people will look at the opportunity to bomb and certain people will look at the opportunity to blame. That though is not what I started to post about.

When I was campaigned and when I voted I don’t recall anyone banging on about the Irish border but now everyone is an expert and saw it all along?????

Chas and Dave spring to mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bets suspended on a GE on 20:57 - Mar 20 with 1313 viewssparks

Bets suspended on a GE on 19:45 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

Absolutely not. I make no attempt to represent you. You’re a fukcing lawyer FFS.

I’m asking you given what you’ve laid out, whether subsequently that is where we end up.

No idea.

I can see no obvious solution. 2nd referendum seems the best bet at this point, and the most democratic way forward.

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:34 - Mar 20 with 1292 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 20:56 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

WTO, EU and UK have all said they won’t impose a hard border. I have read the GFA and I cannot see how Brexit affects it,in any case there has always been a common travel area for decades - pre EU.

The whole thing is a nightmare anyway as certain people will look at the opportunity to bomb and certain people will look at the opportunity to blame. That though is not what I started to post about.

When I was campaigned and when I voted I don’t recall anyone banging on about the Irish border but now everyone is an expert and saw it all along?????

The Irish border wasn’t mentioned.

Because nobody, nobody, did any due diligence on the detail. Shambles.

The whole thing needs putting to bed and filing under National Humiliation.

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:38 - Mar 20 with 1282 viewsDubtractor

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:34 - Mar 20 by vapour_trail

The Irish border wasn’t mentioned.

Because nobody, nobody, did any due diligence on the detail. Shambles.

The whole thing needs putting to bed and filing under National Humiliation.

"due diligence"

This, times a billion, from start to finish.

If did as little due diligence in my job I'd be in big trouble very quickly.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:43 - Mar 20 with 1272 viewsvapour_trail

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:38 - Mar 20 by Dubtractor

"due diligence"

This, times a billion, from start to finish.

If did as little due diligence in my job I'd be in big trouble very quickly.

*the fries are ready*

*dubbers, have you done due diligence on those fries this time?*

Bets suspended on a GE on 21:51 - Mar 20 with 1255 viewsZedRodgers

Bets suspended on a GE on 16:43 - Mar 20 by JakeITFC

£100,000 on option 3 please Zed.

I’m not paying out on the technicality that it was inside No.10, not outside.

No, not at the moment

Bets suspended on a GE on 22:10 - Mar 20 with 1231 viewsJakeITFC

My memory of June 2016 is that I came home from Paris thinking that England would win the Euros and that remain would piss the EU Ref.

Nobody really talked about the detail of Brexit (nobody even used the word Brexit then really) because it didn’t seem likely to happen.

The pricks who campaigned for it on a pack of lies wanted nothing to do with it once they realised it didn’t mean a career boost and so it was left to opportunists and parasites to try and deliver on a vague notion what leaving the EU might be.
Bets suspended on a GE on 22:44 - Mar 20 with 1187 viewsjaykay

i think you will find tony blair warned us about this in 2017
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-warns-against-disastrous-ire

and then there was john major saying the same in 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/09/tony-blair-and-john-major-brexi

but i expect people didn't see this because of project fear was being thrown about.
then again blair and major aren't experts on irish maters

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Bets suspended on a GE on 10:33 - Mar 21 with 1130 viewsLord_Lucan

Bets suspended on a GE on 22:44 - Mar 20 by jaykay

i think you will find tony blair warned us about this in 2017
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-warns-against-disastrous-ire

and then there was john major saying the same in 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/09/tony-blair-and-john-major-brexi

but i expect people didn't see this because of project fear was being thrown about.
then again blair and major aren't experts on irish maters

Interesting.

Major was a very underestimated PM, we could certainly do with him now.

I never warmed to Blair although he certainly had something about him. I still think he is a sneaky c*nt though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024