Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Football Weekender..... 18:33 - Mar 20 with 3032 viewsitfcjoe

....with the missus.

Any suggestions? Quite fancy getting away without kids for a Friday-Sunday, picking up a good football game on the continent but a nice city where there is enough to do as a couple around the game.

Thinking Amsterdam, and flight times from Southend work quite well to get a fullish day on the Friday, and a good chunk of the day on the Sunday.

Anyone done one which works well?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

European Football Weekender..... on 18:34 - Mar 20 with 3015 viewsSpruceMoose

I did Bilbao a few years back. That was excellent.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

European Football Weekender..... on 18:39 - Mar 20 with 3000 viewsLord_Lucan

Is Fortuna not an option? STN to Cologne and a short train ride.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

European Football Weekender..... on 18:41 - Mar 20 with 2995 viewsKieran_Knows

Just replied on twitter, but I’d say Berlin. Had a fantastic weekend there a couple of years back. So much to do in Berlin itself, plus the Olympic Stadium is something special as well. We got a beautiful hotel and flights (from Stansted - Friday to Monday) for £160 each. Stayed a little out fo Berlin centre, but the tube is easy to navigate and cheap.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 18:41]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

European Football Weekender..... on 18:41 - Mar 20 with 2991 viewsSitfcB

Heard there’s a decent team over in Germany, early July

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

European Football Weekender..... on 18:41 - Mar 20 with 3007 viewsitfcjoe

European Football Weekender..... on 18:39 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

It is, but I just think that is one well pick up in pre season that I’ll do then. Also is there much in Düsseldorf for me and Mrs compared to the Dam?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

European Football Weekender..... on 18:46 - Mar 20 with 2974 viewsandytown

Napoli is a smashing atmosphere, flares etc.
Anderlecht (Brussels) was ok but that was in 1994!
European Football Weekender..... on 18:57 - Mar 20 with 2951 viewsLord_Lucan

European Football Weekender..... on 18:41 - Mar 20 by itfcjoe

It is, but I just think that is one well pick up in pre season that I’ll do then. Also is there much in Düsseldorf for me and Mrs compared to the Dam?

No.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

European Football Weekender..... on 18:58 - Mar 20 with 2952 viewsJakeITFC

Amsterdam is great, fantastic food and bars and loads to do.

Barcelona is a lovely city to visit in the spring and obviously good to see Messi, but the atmosphere at the games is a bit crap.

I went to football in Paris and that was surprisingly good, had a ticket standing in the ultras and it was a lively atmosphere.

Ultimately depends on whether you care about the quality of football - I’ve had loads of fun at games in places like Vienna and Prague where the games themselves have been terrible but the cities are brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

European Football Weekender..... on 18:58 - Mar 20 with 2948 viewsSpruceMoose

European Football Weekender..... on 18:57 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

No.

Not by a long shot.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

European Football Weekender..... on 18:59 - Mar 20 with 2948 viewsKieran_Knows

European Football Weekender..... on 18:58 - Mar 20 by JakeITFC

Amsterdam is great, fantastic food and bars and loads to do.

Barcelona is a lovely city to visit in the spring and obviously good to see Messi, but the atmosphere at the games is a bit crap.

I went to football in Paris and that was surprisingly good, had a ticket standing in the ultras and it was a lively atmosphere.

Ultimately depends on whether you care about the quality of football - I’ve had loads of fun at games in places like Vienna and Prague where the games themselves have been terrible but the cities are brilliant.

Agree with you about Vienna. Went and saw Austria Vienna play last year and even though they won 4-0, I can honestly say it was one of the worst games I have ever seen. Agree about the city though, very good indeed.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

European Football Weekender..... on 19:52 - Mar 20 with 2869 viewsBerlinBlue

European Football Weekender..... on 18:59 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

Agree with you about Vienna. Went and saw Austria Vienna play last year and even though they won 4-0, I can honestly say it was one of the worst games I have ever seen. Agree about the city though, very good indeed.

Lovely city, but whatever you do, don't even attempt to order a beer at this place as you'll get the "stupid English tourist" look and a sneer, as happened to me! No beer, only wine, at least when I was there some years ago.
https://figlmueller.at/en/

Strange really, as I thought beer and schnitzel are ideal partners...

Edit: the schnitzel is stupendous and huge, well worth a visit.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2019 19:58]
European Football Weekender..... on 20:36 - Mar 20 with 2799 viewsvilanovablue

Have you thought about Bordeaux, fantastic city, great stadium. The football won't be great but I'm not sure how critical that is. If you want to go to Barcelona I can understand the draw of Messi but Espanyol's ground is a proper little stadium. Finally Bilbao is a great city for food and nightlife and the Athletic fans are bonkers and the atmosphere is great.
European Football Weekender..... on 20:40 - Mar 20 with 2791 viewsReuser_is_God

Düsseldorf early July.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

European Football Weekender..... on 20:42 - Mar 20 with 2785 viewsstringy

European Football Weekender..... on 20:36 - Mar 20 by vilanovablue

Have you thought about Bordeaux, fantastic city, great stadium. The football won't be great but I'm not sure how critical that is. If you want to go to Barcelona I can understand the draw of Messi but Espanyol's ground is a proper little stadium. Finally Bilbao is a great city for food and nightlife and the Athletic fans are bonkers and the atmosphere is great.

I'd second Bordeaux - usually play on a Sunday - spent a few months there in 2006 and would go to every home game; used to be cheap as chips and a gorgeous city and you can get train or day trip buses to St Emillion and other places in the Dordogne
European Football Weekender..... on 21:23 - Mar 20 with 2745 viewsvilanovablue

European Football Weekender..... on 20:42 - Mar 20 by stringy

I'd second Bordeaux - usually play on a Sunday - spent a few months there in 2006 and would go to every home game; used to be cheap as chips and a gorgeous city and you can get train or day trip buses to St Emillion and other places in the Dordogne

They have a shiny new stadium now which is very smart. I have family not far from Bordeaux so went when the new ground was built to see someone random Nantes I think, the football wasn't great but a day drinking red wine with my brother in law beforehand was great!
European Football Weekender..... on 06:53 - Mar 21 with 2613 viewsFixed_It

European Football Weekender..... on 18:58 - Mar 20 by SpruceMoose

Not by a long shot.

Alrhough Cologne is just a short hop on the train away.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2019 6:53]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

European Football Weekender..... on 07:36 - Mar 21 with 2564 viewsportmanroadblue

Seville.
European Football Weekender..... on 14:39 - Mar 21 with 2476 viewsglasso

Hamburg. Two decent atmospheres, even if it is in the second tier. Go for the big stadium day out or the hipster vibe of St Pauli. Loads to do, beach bars etc...
European Football Weekender..... on 14:46 - Mar 21 with 2467 viewsOsborneOneNil

I'm off to Rome with the wife, 3-5 May. Looking to catch the Lazio v Atalanta game. Plenty to do and see there.
European Football Weekender..... on 14:48 - Mar 21 with 2461 viewsSpruceMoose

European Football Weekender..... on 14:46 - Mar 21 by OsborneOneNil

I'm off to Rome with the wife, 3-5 May. Looking to catch the Lazio v Atalanta game. Plenty to do and see there.

Don't get stabbed in the butt.

And watch out while you're at the football too.

European Football Weekender..... on 14:51 - Mar 21 with 2459 viewsLeaky

European Football Weekender..... on 18:39 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

A few town fans going to dusseldorf in may for the Hanover game
European Football Weekender..... on 16:11 - Mar 21 with 2411 viewsOsborneOneNil

European Football Weekender..... on 14:48 - Mar 21 by SpruceMoose

Don't get stabbed in the butt.

And watch out while you're at the football too.

Ah super, something to look forward to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024