Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? 08:23 - Mar 22 with 3407 viewsGeoffSentence

I know it was 4 years ago but expressing your support for the IRA and contempt for England with tweets like "my brudda. UP THE RA. Wait Till We Draw England" , whilst in the Irish youth team is hardly going to help team spirit.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:29 - Mar 22 with 3385 viewsdavblue

Young and Naive certainly.

Maybe he was trying to prove himself to mates as he didn't sound Irish? Could be all sorts of reasons, the fact he no longer plays for Ireland though, suggests that he has been advised that there's more money with playing for England and he doesn't feel particularly Irish or it could be just a money decision, who knows?
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:34 - Mar 22 with 3366 viewspoppiesman

Once you have played for one country at full level, you shouldn't be allowed to play for another country anyway.
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:53 - Mar 22 with 3325 viewsJimmyJazz

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:34 - Mar 22 by poppiesman

Once you have played for one country at full level, you shouldn't be allowed to play for another country anyway.

That would just result in young players with a potential country decision ahead not wanting to commit to a nation too early.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:58 - Mar 22 with 3318 viewsitfcjoe

Yes, he was what 14/15 when he did that - they post a load of sh*t to look funny in front of their mates.

He was born in England and lived in England his whole life - but people don't seem to understand those who have genuine dual nationalities.

He is both Irish and English, but has elected to play for England

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 09:16 - Mar 22 with 3263 viewsHeathlander

He was 14 or 15. He would have had no real idea what he was talking about. Of course he should be in the England squad. I bet I said stuff at that age which I am not proud of.

To be fair he didn't say what Republican Army he was upping. It could potentially have been the the Ipswich Republican Army, we're barmy.
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:14 - Mar 22 with 3099 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 08:34 - Mar 22 by poppiesman

Exactly. Switching countries is nonsense.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:14 - Mar 22 with 3096 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 09:16 - Mar 22 by Heathlander

He was 14 or 15. He would have had no real idea what he was talking about. Of course he should be in the England squad. I bet I said stuff at that age which I am not proud of.

To be fair he didn't say what Republican Army he was upping. It could potentially have been the the Ipswich Republican Army, we're barmy.

I believe he was nearly 16, not 14.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:17 - Mar 22 with 3089 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it support for the IRA or is he calling the Republic of Ireland the Republican Army?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:20 - Mar 22 with 3079 viewsSuperfrans

17 yos do and say plenty of stupid things they regret later. It's part of growing up.

The idea that it should get in the way of anything, four years later, is nonsensical.

He is, btw, going to be a very very important player for England. Future England captain and our best centre half for many many decades.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:20 - Mar 22 with 3079 viewsGeoffSentence

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:17 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

Is it support for the IRA or is he calling the Republic of Ireland the Republican Army?

Well, who knows what he actually meant except himself, general opion seems to be that he meant the IRA. General opinion can be wrong though. The link is easier to make between the Republican Army and the IRA than the Republic of Ireland.

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:22 - Mar 22 with 3071 viewsSuperblue95

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:14 - Mar 22 by The_Last_Baron

I believe he was nearly 16, not 14.

Oh yes because that changes everything.

You will be doing well to find a 14/15/16 year old who doesn’t act like a bellend in some way.

This is a storm in a tea cup

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:24 - Mar 22 with 3059 viewsJ2BLUE

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:20 - Mar 22 by GeoffSentence

Well, who knows what he actually meant except himself, general opion seems to be that he meant the IRA. General opinion can be wrong though. The link is easier to make between the Republican Army and the IRA than the Republic of Ireland.

The general opinion is the option that is the most offensive? Well I never.

Truly impaired.

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:24 - Mar 22 with 3059 viewsSwansea_Blue

If he's good enough. He is English after all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:27 - Mar 22 with 3052 viewsGeoffSentence

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:24 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

The general opinion is the option that is the most offensive? Well I never.

Seems most likely though, dont you think? Even conflating the Irish Republic with the 'republican army' is pretty inflammatory.

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:34 - Mar 22 with 3026 viewsSuperblue95

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:20 - Mar 22 by GeoffSentence

Having grown up in Ireland, the kids/teenagers say “up the RA” and the such on a regular basis as well as constant bashing of the English. It doesn’t mean anything it’s just youngsters mucking around, they don’t have any intentions of pipe bombing anybody.

One of the ‘proper’ Irish lads probably told him to say that stuff (or hacked into his account and did it themselves)

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:34 - Mar 22 with 3022 viewsJ2BLUE

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:27 - Mar 22 by GeoffSentence

Seems most likely though, dont you think? Even conflating the Irish Republic with the 'republican army' is pretty inflammatory.

At his age I wasn't on any social media. I used email and MSN messenger. If all conversations I had were saved and brought back to light now there would be 1000+ equally offensive things which I didn't really mean or was too stupid to realise the gravity of what I was saying.

Truly impaired.

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:40 - Mar 22 with 2990 viewsGeoffSentence

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:34 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

At his age I wasn't on any social media. I used email and MSN messenger. If all conversations I had were saved and brought back to light now there would be 1000+ equally offensive things which I didn't really mean or was too stupid to realise the gravity of what I was saying.

Yeah, that's the point really. He was young at the time and we all do and say stuff we dont mean or regret later. But will everyone in the England camp see it the same way and let it go? Or could it upset team spirit ?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:54 - Mar 22 with 2947 viewsTractorCam

Yes.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 13:01 - Mar 22 with 2913 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:20 - Mar 22 by Superfrans

17 yos do and say plenty of stupid things they regret later. It's part of growing up.

The idea that it should get in the way of anything, four years later, is nonsensical.

He is, btw, going to be a very very important player for England. Future England captain and our best centre half for many many decades.

He’ll play in the holding role

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 13:01 - Mar 22 with 2913 viewsSpruceMoose

Unless we are all willing to be judged as adults by the things we said when we were 15 I'd suggest letting this one slide.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 13:01]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 13:14 - Mar 22 with 2864 viewsmonty_radio

For people of dual heritage, of whom I am one, deciding that you must nail your colours to a patriotic mast works differently for many. Depends on level of contact with the country you don't reside in; romantic notions of that other place; level of family expectation etc.

If patriotism were the real spur professional sportsmen (especially well-paid ones) would need no further inducement than just to represent their country. But, bearing in mind also that as, Oscar Wilde (himself of Anglo-Irish heritage) once said, "patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" and also Dr Johnson, "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel", support of one's country needs to be linked to a humanity and an adult wisdom.

As to whether Rice was 14-16 - I'm glad that posters here have leapt to proclaim that it makes no material difference. A child with a mouse in hand is still a child.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 13:25 - Mar 22 with 2814 viewsBloomBlue

Definitely he could be the pilau of the team for years
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 13:35 - Mar 22 with 2783 viewsPecker

People on here talk a right load of sh1te, (Me included) should they not be allowed to play, should the call come?
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 14:36 - Mar 22 with 2723 viewsjontysnut

Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 12:22 - Mar 22 by Superblue95

Oh yes because that changes everything.

You will be doing well to find a 14/15/16 year old who doesn’t act like a bellend in some way.

This is a storm in a tea cup

Perhaps his initiation on the team us should be a rendition of The Sash.
Should Declan Rice be in the England squad? on 15:00 - Mar 22 with 2691 viewscharlie1

If you can stand shoulder to shoulder with murderers, repeatedly refusing to denounce their terrorist ways having been given many opportunities to do so, and still run for leadership of the very country most affected by those murderous acts, then I wouldn’t have thought there’s much harm in letting a lad play football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024