Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday papers front pages 08:10 - Mar 24 with 2626 viewsOldsmoker

The Peoples March didn't get a mention on...
Mail on Sunday
Sunday Times
Sunday Telegraph
Sunday Express
They concentrate on some Tory MP's wanting May to resign.
It seems that some Tories want another vote even though they lost the No confidence vote in December and can't hold another one. They lost so they should get over it - right?
So, the only vote that is sacrosanct is the narrow Referendum result held almost 3 years ago, based on lies and misinformation.
Go figure.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Sunday papers front pages on 08:11 - Mar 24 with 2611 viewsDubtractor

We've got to RESPECT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

Or something.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sunday papers front pages on 08:15 - Mar 24 with 2589 viewsOldsmoker

Sunday papers front pages on 08:11 - Mar 24 by Dubtractor

Or something.

Who is this bloke called William, to whom we have to respect, do they keep talking about?
Has anyone ever met him?

Sunday papers front pages on 08:24 - Mar 24 with 2562 viewsPinewoodblue

Sunday papers front pages on 08:15 - Mar 24 by Oldsmoker

Who is this bloke called William, to whom we have to respect, do they keep talking about?
Has anyone ever met him?

Your future King.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sunday papers front pages on 08:34 - Mar 24 with 2541 viewsHerbivore

You've got to love the bare-faced amorality of the Tory party. We'll vote for your deal despite not voting for it twice because we think it's a bad deal so long as you step down. Party and power over country every single time.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunday papers front pages on 08:38 - Mar 24 with 2511 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sunday papers front pages on 08:34 - Mar 24 by Herbivore

You've got to love the bare-faced amorality of the Tory party. We'll vote for your deal despite not voting for it twice because we think it's a bad deal so long as you step down. Party and power over country every single time.

Politics is simple once you accept the only thing that is important to them is power.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sunday papers front pages on 08:50 - Mar 24 with 2491 viewsOldsmoker

Sunday papers front pages on 08:38 - Mar 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

Politics is simple once you accept the only thing that is important to them is power.

And therein lies the problem.
Being in Government is about being "responsible to the nation" not "power over the nation".

Sunday papers front pages on 09:51 - Mar 24 with 2383 viewsWeWereZombies

Sunday papers front pages on 08:38 - Mar 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

That is not quite true, they want the power to get things down. The difficult part is discerning what is their ultimate aim.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Sunday papers front pages on 09:59 - Mar 24 with 2366 viewsbluejacko

Why would it? It was only people out on a jolly for the day while the majority of us just got on with life.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunday papers front pages on 10:00 - Mar 24 with 2356 viewshampstead_blue

Sunday papers front pages on 08:50 - Mar 24 by Oldsmoker

And therein lies the problem.
Being in Government is about being "responsible to the nation" not "power over the nation".

your statement is true. It also shows the problem for government.

We voted to leave. When we voted to join, there wasn't a second referendum. We joined.
Now the EU has changed beyond belief and wants to become the 'Federal Republic of Europe' we have chosen to leave.

Whilst I understand there is a vocal minority who want to remain, that decision has been made.

'Responsible to the nation' also means that the exit is harder for the politicians because of the vocal minority having so many platforms upon which to promote their cause.

I think we can have a very good relationship with the EU post Brexit.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Sunday papers front pages on 10:05 - Mar 24 with 2333 viewsHerbivore

Sunday papers front pages on 10:00 - Mar 24 by hampstead_blue

We voted to leave. When we voted to join, there wasn't a second referendum. We joined.
Now the EU has changed beyond belief and wants to become the 'Federal Republic of Europe' we have chosen to leave.

Whilst I understand there is a vocal minority who want to remain, that decision has been made.

'Responsible to the nation' also means that the exit is harder for the politicians because of the vocal minority having so many platforms upon which to promote their cause.

I'm not really sure why this still needs to constantly be pointed out but the reason we're not leaving on the 29th is because the hard Brexiteers in the Tory party and the DUP refused to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement.

I'd also suggest that those wishing to remain now constitute more than a mere vocal minority.

There was also no real clamour for a second referendum when we joined because over 67% were in favour as opposed to under 52%.

All that aside your post is spot on.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2019 10:07]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunday papers front pages on 10:11 - Mar 24 with 2310 viewsSomethingBlue

Vocal minority ... !

Where is this "Federal Republic of Europe" of which you speak. Is it in your head?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sunday papers front pages on 10:11 - Mar 24 with 2306 viewsMummy_Short_Arms

Sunday papers front pages on 08:11 - Mar 24 by Dubtractor

Or something.

I've met the people. And they really deserve no respect whatsoever.
Sunday papers front pages on 10:14 - Mar 24 with 2297 viewsWeWereZombies

This is all very well but you also need to consider the even more vocal minority who want to leave the European Union. Perhaps we both have to accept that there is a majority in the middle who cannot make up their mind either way or only favour remaining or leaving to a small degree.

So statements like 'the EU has changed beyond belief and wants to become the 'Federal Republic of Europe' do not help because whilst it is true that the European Union has changed (and all organisations change, it would be weird if over time they did not adapt to circumstances) and that some politicians want ever greater union (but not all politicians within the European Union and probably only a small minority). They just give the impression that Brexiteers are only interested in spinning out propaganda rather than having a serious discussion.

I will, tiresome as I know it is and I do not like having to do it, reiterate what I have said to you before. Leaving the European Union means that we abandon those politicians, nations and institutions that desire harmony and co-operation without the straight jacket of federalism. We also end up being bound by regulations and a trading relationship that we have less control over. I cannot comprehend why anyone would vote for that.

Sunday papers front pages on 10:18 - Mar 24 with 2287 viewsXYZ

"When we voted to join, there wasn't a second referendum. We joined."

No we didn't. Ted Heath took the UK in without a referendum.
Sunday papers front pages on 10:44 - Mar 24 with 2248 viewsflimflam

Sunday papers front pages on 10:18 - Mar 24 by XYZ

"When we voted to join, there wasn't a second referendum. We joined."

No we didn't. Ted Heath took the UK in without a referendum.

There was a referendum to stay 2 years later though which was pack of lies as per this time

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Sunday papers front pages on 10:50 - Mar 24 with 2236 viewsWeWereZombies

Sunday papers front pages on 10:44 - Mar 24 by flimflam

There was a referendum to stay 2 years later though which was pack of lies as per this time

Explain 'pack of lies' please.

Sunday papers front pages on 11:19 - Mar 24 with 2156 viewshampstead_blue

Sunday papers front pages on 10:11 - Mar 24 by SomethingBlue

Vocal minority ... !

Where is this "Federal Republic of Europe" of which you speak. Is it in your head?

guy verhofstadt is on record talking of a Europe were everything is centralised. The need for individual decisions is removed or at least watered down.

He has spoken of Europe as the USA is set-up. A series of States.

And your first point...! Well it is. I'm sure you feel that is not the case, but it is.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Sunday papers front pages on 11:29 - Mar 24 with 2136 viewshampstead_blue

Sunday papers front pages on 10:14 - Mar 24 by WeWereZombies

This is all very well but you also need to consider the even more vocal minority who want to leave the European Union. Perhaps we both have to accept that there is a majority in the middle who cannot make up their mind either way or only favour remaining or leaving to a small degree.

So statements like 'the EU has changed beyond belief and wants to become the 'Federal Republic of Europe' do not help because whilst it is true that the European Union has changed (and all organisations change, it would be weird if over time they did not adapt to circumstances) and that some politicians want ever greater union (but not all politicians within the European Union and probably only a small minority). They just give the impression that Brexiteers are only interested in spinning out propaganda rather than having a serious discussion.

I will, tiresome as I know it is and I do not like having to do it, reiterate what I have said to you before. Leaving the European Union means that we abandon those politicians, nations and institutions that desire harmony and co-operation without the straight jacket of federalism. We also end up being bound by regulations and a trading relationship that we have less control over. I cannot comprehend why anyone would vote for that.

You are talking a lot of sense.

I'm not so narrow as to think that the whole EU is full of nasties.
Maybe those who want closer ties are the 'vocal minority' of Brussels.

I also understand the benefits of a certain level of unity. Smaller countries can be bought out of poverty and (we all hope for this) equality and a more welcoming set of communities can be nurtured.
I'm all for breaking down some boundaries and spreading good ideas but I do feel that the EU is going to far and has become TOO self serving.

If there was an EU with strict limits without this creep toward federalism, then I would want to remain.
I just don't see it.

I genuinely believe that maybe a softer Brexit is the answer. If we can have 'some cake and eat it' then maybe that's the best solution.

May blew it from the start. Someone on Pinaar's politics (maybe John himself) said that drawing in all sides at the start would have been a better idea.
I think that is right.

Brexit is so important. Everyone, regardless of political bent has to have a say. Brexit should be unifying but May royally messed-up and now we are here.

She does remind of MM..."my way or nowt." Can you picture MM briefing May in the background......"be careful what you wish for"......I am not being serious before someone quotes me a jumps all over the 2D nature of this sentence. It's a joke.....

:-) Off to the gym. Leg and cardio day today followed by the steam room, skinny latte, and slow cooked turkey with stir fry. Got to lose some timber before the cricket season starts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024