Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buttler wicket yesterday 07:43 - Mar 26 with 6794 viewsm14_blue

What do we reckon?

I know it was technically legal but I’d hate to see cricket go the way of football with the ‘win at all costs’ approach to sportsmanship, especially on the back of the Aussie’s cheating.

Suspect and hope that Ashwin regrets his actions this morning.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 08:01 - Mar 26 with 4050 viewsPecker

The umpire would normally warn the batsman a couple of times before giving him out. Had he been warned? Like you say, technically right, but not in the spirit of the game.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 08:16 - Mar 26 with 4024 viewsitfcjoe

He wasn't even out of his crease when bowler in delivery stride - cheating plain and simple by the bowler.

You could get a wicket every ball if you were to do it like that,

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 08:27 - Mar 26 with 4010 viewsSteve_M

I don't normally have a problem with mankads, if the batsman is stood out of the crease then it is fair game. Given how long Ashwin delayed bowling that ball, that was not the case yesterday - that was classless.

I did like this tweet yesterday btw:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:01 - Mar 26 with 3951 viewsartsbossbeard

We had this a few seasons back and our captain straightaway told their batsman not to walk, advised everyone in our team that this isn't acceptable and took our bowler off for the rest of the innings.

That's how to deal with it.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:10 - Mar 26 with 3920 viewsSWGF

Buttler wicket yesterday on 08:01 - Mar 26 by Pecker

The umpire would normally warn the batsman a couple of times before giving him out. Had he been warned? Like you say, technically right, but not in the spirit of the game.

Don't think you need to warn anymore. It used to be the law but think they removed it a few years ago.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:11 - Mar 26 with 3916 viewsSir_Bob

It's the unwritten rule in cricket, to warn the batsman first.
It's the same as when a player is down injured and you kick the ball out for him to get treatment, then they opposition doesn't throw you the ball back. Everyone goes mad.

If this happens this summer with Smith & Warner involved, there will be riots haha.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:12 - Mar 26 with 3912 viewsSWGF

Buttler wicket yesterday on 08:16 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

He wasn't even out of his crease when bowler in delivery stride - cheating plain and simple by the bowler.

You could get a wicket every ball if you were to do it like that,

Overs with Ashwin as the non-striker could go on for hours as the bowler continuously stops in his delivery stride to check whether he's backing-up too far. He waited for Buttler to leave his crease which, in itself, proves that Buttler wasn't looking to gain an advantage; he would have still been in his crease had Ashwin bowled the ball.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:21 - Mar 26 with 3880 viewsXYZ

I haven't seen it, but some batsmen take the piss. I used to give the one warning and then run 'em out next time. I wasn't allowed to bowl from 18 yards, so they weren't going to start a run from there.

Never in my delivery stride, though.

I haven't seen the Buttler one from yesterday yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:50 - Mar 26 with 3829 viewsGuthrum

Entirely reasonable. Buttler was trying to steal ground (probably not for the first time, else Ashwin wouldn't have spotted the opportunity). We don't know if there was a warning, but even if not, it it a politeness, not a requirement.

It's not like this is a young player in a village match, Buttler is one of the world's top batsmen. He ought to be aware of the risks of backing up too keenly and really shouldn't need protection.

At its higher levels, cricket has always been a fiercely competitive sport, with teams pushing to the limits of the rules for an advantage. WG Grace was famous for his sometimes fluid interpretation of the laws. Leg Theory (aka Bodyline) was banned not because it was too close to cheating, but the fact it was outright dangerous in a day before helmets and padding.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:53 - Mar 26 with 3817 viewsGuthrum

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:50 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Entirely reasonable. Buttler was trying to steal ground (probably not for the first time, else Ashwin wouldn't have spotted the opportunity). We don't know if there was a warning, but even if not, it it a politeness, not a requirement.

It's not like this is a young player in a village match, Buttler is one of the world's top batsmen. He ought to be aware of the risks of backing up too keenly and really shouldn't need protection.

At its higher levels, cricket has always been a fiercely competitive sport, with teams pushing to the limits of the rules for an advantage. WG Grace was famous for his sometimes fluid interpretation of the laws. Leg Theory (aka Bodyline) was banned not because it was too close to cheating, but the fact it was outright dangerous in a day before helmets and padding.

Edit: Altho I would say deliberately failing to release the ball when the arm comes over in order to achieve the run out is pushing it too far and probably ought to have been ruled dead ball by the umpire.

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:55 - Mar 26 with 3808 viewswellsy700

I thought it was disgraceful what Ashwin did. Shane Warne summed it up nicely in a series of tweets

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:02 - Mar 26 with 3783 viewsHerbivore

Just seen it, bang out of order for me. He's walking in with the bowler, he's in the crease when Ashwin is in his delivery stride. It's like Ashwin has sold him a dummy rather than Buttler trying to steal ground. Really not impressed. Thought Warne was spot on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:06 - Mar 26 with 3769 viewsitfcjoe

Buttler wicket yesterday on 09:12 - Mar 26 by SWGF

Overs with Ashwin as the non-striker could go on for hours as the bowler continuously stops in his delivery stride to check whether he's backing-up too far. He waited for Buttler to leave his crease which, in itself, proves that Buttler wasn't looking to gain an advantage; he would have still been in his crease had Ashwin bowled the ball.

Yep, why this was much worse than others I've seen - and they are always controversial.

Had he been 3-4 foot down the wicket when he was about to release that is a totally different scenario - this was just plain wrong.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:09 - Mar 26 with 3756 viewsGuthrum

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:02 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Just seen it, bang out of order for me. He's walking in with the bowler, he's in the crease when Ashwin is in his delivery stride. It's like Ashwin has sold him a dummy rather than Buttler trying to steal ground. Really not impressed. Thought Warne was spot on.

But, having finally found some video of the incident to have a few looks, he hadn't begun to turn his arm over. Had barely begun to jump when Buttler was out of his crease. IMO the batsman lost concentration and took his eye off the bowler.

Marginal, perhaps, but not like he'd gone right through his action without releasing the ball.

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:31 - Mar 26 with 3710 viewsHerbivore

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:09 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

But, having finally found some video of the incident to have a few looks, he hadn't begun to turn his arm over. Had barely begun to jump when Buttler was out of his crease. IMO the batsman lost concentration and took his eye off the bowler.

Marginal, perhaps, but not like he'd gone right through his action without releasing the ball.

Have to agree to disagree, I don't think it was in the spirit of the game at all having seen it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 10:34 - Mar 26 with 3695 viewsKieran_Knows

Has happened with Buttler in the past as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Buttler wicket yesterday on 11:05 - Mar 26 with 3643 viewsSonOfSpock

If the bowler/umpire had already warned Jos that they were going to run him out if out of his ground next time round then I think it was allowable and follows the unwritten etiquette principle (we always followed this approach when we playing 2 counties league games and there were never any probs that i can recall).

If no such warning is given, its legal, but not in the spirit of the game. I can only assume that there is so much money riding on each game/performance in the IPL that its all or nothing.

Ashwin can be happy but he cant be proud.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 12:11 - Mar 26 with 3567 viewspoppiesman

It was cheating on ashwins part.
Buttler was not even out of his crease in the bowlers delivery stride.Anyone who says he was trying to gain a yard or two clearly haven't even seen the incident.
If an English bowler had done that to an Indian batsman in the IPL, then I doubt he would have been given out!!
Another reason for me to hate everything about Indian cricket.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 12:51 - Mar 26 with 3508 viewsGuthrum

Buttler wicket yesterday on 12:11 - Mar 26 by poppiesman

It was cheating on ashwins part.
Buttler was not even out of his crease in the bowlers delivery stride.Anyone who says he was trying to gain a yard or two clearly haven't even seen the incident.
If an English bowler had done that to an Indian batsman in the IPL, then I doubt he would have been given out!!
Another reason for me to hate everything about Indian cricket.

It's not just down to Ashwin, tho. He is entitled to try, but if overstepping the laws - and spirit - of the game, the umpire should have ruled against him. That is. perhaps, more where the fault lies if it was the unreasonable side of marginal.

Who was standing at the bowler's end?

Buttler wicket yesterday on 12:59 - Mar 26 with 3491 viewspoppiesman

Buttler wicket yesterday on 12:51 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

It's not just down to Ashwin, tho. He is entitled to try, but if overstepping the laws - and spirit - of the game, the umpire should have ruled against him. That is. perhaps, more where the fault lies if it was the unreasonable side of marginal.

Who was standing at the bowler's end?

Possibly.
If Ashwin had warned Buttler earlier then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
It was just the way he did that annoys me more than anything.
Will be interesting if we see it happen more often now .
Buttler wicket yesterday on 13:37 - Mar 26 with 3446 viewschristiand

It’s a pity their bowling wasn’t good enough to get Buttler out and Ashwin had to resort to that. I’d like to see the reaction if that was Kohli or MS Dhoni who was run out that way, there would be uproar!!
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 13:40]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:16 - Mar 26 with 3388 viewsXYZ

Has anyone got a link to yesterday's incident?

Whatever it is; it's not "cheating"
Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:49 - Mar 26 with 3357 viewschristiand

Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:16 - Mar 26 by XYZ

Has anyone got a link to yesterday's incident?

Whatever it is; it's not "cheating"

Agree it's not cheating, but equally it's not in the spirit of the game either.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 14:52]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:59 - Mar 26 with 3339 viewsXYZ

Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:49 - Mar 26 by christiand

I was taught to back up with bat in left hand (assuming right-arm over bowler) - walk out of ground, eyes on bowler, bat in crease. I could have been further down the pitch and safe compared to Buttler.

He's not looking at the bowler and just ambles out. Right or wrong, his technique is rubbish.

I think it all falls down to whether he'd been warned - if he had been then fair enough; if not, then out-of-order.
Buttler wicket yesterday on 18:18 - Mar 26 with 3251 viewsRadlett_blue

Buttler wicket yesterday on 14:49 - Mar 26 by christiand

The "spirit of the game" these days also seems to allow bowlers and fielders appealing when they know the batsman isn't out, while batsmen never walk although they know they've nicked one.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024