Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Google Chromebook 16:37 - Mar 26 with 707 viewsmojo

Good people of twtd. I am coming to you for some advice. My old laptop finally died on me (I had it for over a decade so no surprises). I replaced it with an Asus Chromebook (32gb hard drive, 4gb ram). I just want to use it essentially for temporary storage of my photos (I took about 2000 on a recent trip and a few videos), for basic editing and then transferring the images to my two external hard drives. I also want to use it for a bit of surfing but nothing else really.

Part of my problem is that I am not familiar with the Google OS having used Windows for a long time. I’m not sure if the machine is capable of doing what I want it to do and I spent a long time yesterday on the phone to various call centres of John Lewis, Asus and Google. I am at the point where I think some of my photos are on google drive, some are on google photos and some are on the external hard drives. I need to consolidate them. I could do with a tutorial really. Does anyone have any advice?

This post has been edited by an administrator
Google Chromebook on 16:57 - Mar 26 with 679 viewsfactual_blue

Be careful taking your laptop surfing. They don't react well to water. I'd just go for a low end laptop.

If you have Amazon Prime, you get unlimited photo storage

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Google Chromebook on 17:13 - Mar 26 with 663 viewsgiant_stow

My advice is gonna sound like I'm taking the piss, but I'm not. Google each little task precisely, so:

Check if Photos are in Google photos or Google Drive
Consolidate photos on Google drive
Transfer Photos from camara brand to google drive

... and on. Just try and be precise,
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 17:14]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Google Chromebook on 17:31 - Mar 26 with 636 viewsDarkHorse

Follow these instructions to upload all your photos to Google Drive:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6206527?hl=en-GB

Then view/edit pics in Google Photos. Google Photos automatically syncs with Google Drive and will display the photos you've uploaded to GD (as long as they're JPEG's, Google Photo's doesn't support all raw files). Any edits you make will automatically save to Google Drive.

(If your workflow includes something like Lightroom you'll need to download them to your Chromebook's internal storage to edit them - you can do this directly when you first attach the camera/sd card, or you can download them later from Google Drive.)

You can then copy from Google Drive to your external hard drives - although not sure why you would need to since they're already saved in GD?

Alternatively, if you don't need to transfer to external storage, and since you only get 15gb free space on Google Drive, you could import your photos directly to Google Photos. Plug the card/camera into Chromebook, go to photos.google.com, click on the upload button, select the photos from the card, click open. If it doesn't let you do that, you'll need to upload to internal storage first then copy/backup to Google Photos
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024