Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for 22:06 - Mar 26 with 4693 viewstpsontour

Martyn Waghorn interview today with Sunderland fanzine Roker Report:

RR: You’ve played under some huge names. Roy Keane, Sven-Goran Eriksson and now Frank Lampard but who was the best and worst manager you’ve played under and why?

MW: I wouldn’t say ‘worst manager’ but my season under Sven was difficult and I didn’t really enjoy it. I had a difficult injury and was in and out of form. A lot of things went wrong, we had a big squad and I was in and out of it. So under Sven was my worst time.

The best is difficult, because I’ve had so many good managers for so many good reasons. The gaffer now [Frank Lampard} - what he had achieved in his time as a player and the experience he brings is invaluable at this stage in my career, he’s helping my progress and get better. I’m loving my football under him at the moment.

Roy gave me my chance and knew what I was about and knew what I wanted to do. Unfortunately I didn’t play under him enough because I went on loan and when I came back he had left. But that season where he got us out of the Championship shows you how good he was. He dragged the club from the bottom and turned the entire club around. When I played under him, and where I played under him was brilliant.

I would have the say the best is Mick McCarthy for what he did for me last year though, to be honest. He gave me the chance to play back in the Championship, he got me out of Rangers when I was told I could leave. I had the best year of my career under him. He put his arm around my shoulder, supported me, gave me the opportunity and the platform to go and do my stuff. He was brilliant for me and the squad was full of good lads which had been build by Mick and his team.

It just felt like we had loads in common. He knew what I brought and who I was as a player and brought the best out in me.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/3/26/18228184/interview-roker-report-meets

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:11 - Mar 26 with 4064 viewsSwailsey

*settles in*

You can’t say anything positive about him here.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:14 - Mar 26 with 4050 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Interesting as one would imagine the most diplomatic answer would have been Frank. However, he has been fairly diplomatic, especially in saying the worst was more about his injuries rather than the manager himself.

If anyone doubts the players generally liked MM and that he was successful they are deluded. Similarly, if anyone thinks his time hadn't run its course here they are also deluded. It was a shame it ended with the bitterness there was.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:15 - Mar 26 with 4029 viewsSwailsey

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:14 - Mar 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Interesting as one would imagine the most diplomatic answer would have been Frank. However, he has been fairly diplomatic, especially in saying the worst was more about his injuries rather than the manager himself.

If anyone doubts the players generally liked MM and that he was successful they are deluded. Similarly, if anyone thinks his time hadn't run its course here they are also deluded. It was a shame it ended with the bitterness there was.

T
H
I

S

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:19 - Mar 26 with 4015 viewsBloomBlue

Nothing new there we all know Waghorn left because MM left. If MM was still manager this season Waghorn would still be at Town banging the goals in
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:31 - Mar 26 with 3949 viewsMelford

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:19 - Mar 26 by BloomBlue

Nothing new there we all know Waghorn left because MM left. If MM was still manager this season Waghorn would still be at Town banging the goals in

If Lambert had been here in June he would have probably still have been here. Unfortunately as soon as he saw what Hurst and Doig were up to he got his agent on the phone.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:43 - Mar 27 with 3559 viewshampstead_blue

It does proves the great results MM gave us with the the very tight constraints he was working under.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:51 - Mar 27 with 3535 viewsSuperblue95

He rates Roy Keane too which is more bemusing

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:53 - Mar 27 with 3535 viewsArnieM

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:19 - Mar 26 by BloomBlue

Oh no doubt about it. And the attendances would be in single figures and the football as boring as hell. I certainly would still be going to PR and I’ve not missed a match in over 50 years. Having Paul Lambert at this Club has been a breath of fresh air , and although Town will be relegated this season ( it’s been coming for several years), I’m truly enjoying watch the team play again now. The thought of seeing a whole generation of Academy players emerge into the first team is also very exciting . Under Lambert ;
The football is great
The atmosphere is great
There is genuine hope for the future
The Club has reconnected with the fans

What’s not to like about that.

McCarthy had his spell ( nearly 6 years ). He did a good job , to a point but then it was merely treading water and papering over cracks . He was building anything for the future st this Club, instead being happy to play “ proper blokes”, largely loanees, and take a cool £1m salary each year for the privilege.

I prefer Lambert by a country mile . He is a builder of squads/ team , not a troubleshooter. I can’t wait for next season under his leadership.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:58 - Mar 27 with 3516 viewsBluefish

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:53 - Mar 27 by ArnieM

Oh no doubt about it. And the attendances would be in single figures and the football as boring as hell. I certainly would still be going to PR and I’ve not missed a match in over 50 years. Having Paul Lambert at this Club has been a breath of fresh air , and although Town will be relegated this season ( it’s been coming for several years), I’m truly enjoying watch the team play again now. The thought of seeing a whole generation of Academy players emerge into the first team is also very exciting . Under Lambert ;
The football is great
The atmosphere is great

McCarthy had his spell ( nearly 6 years ). He did a good job , to a point but then it was merely treading water and papering over cracks . He was building anything for the future st this Club, instead being happy to play “ proper blokes”, largely loanees, and take a cool £1m salary each year for the privilege.

I prefer Lambert by a country mile . He is a builder of squads/ team , not a troubleshooter. I can’t wait for next season under his leadership.

This is by far your best ever post on here. It is far from being perfect but it is miles ahead of your normal. Well done, keep going
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 7:59]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:59 - Mar 27 with 3507 viewsBlueBadger

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 07:53 - Mar 27 by ArnieM

The football is great
The atmosphere is great

We'll have the best pressers in League one next season, that's for certain.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:09 - Mar 27 with 3476 viewsWickets

I dont think many fans would say that MM is not a good manager, Waghorn had a great season under Mick so of course he would have enjoyed it but i seem to remember he was quoted as saying at one time that we should be playing more on the front foot, so a small criticism there. My main problem with Mick was always that he never seemed to be building a team just getting by, just keeping our head above water,. I wanted and still want us to build our own team, of course we didnt want or expect relegation but i dont regret Mick moving on, as many have said his time had come. Next season could well be the start of the next great Ipswich team , we live in hope .
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:12 - Mar 27 with 3471 viewsitfcjoe

It saddens me how Mick couldn't keep the fans on side here as he was perfect for the football club under Evans' ownership.

He obviously had a lot of stick, but had he risen above it and showed a quarter of Lambert's spirit for the town he'd still be here and we wouldn't be heading for League 1.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:14 - Mar 27 with 3460 viewsfooters

He's lying.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:25 - Mar 27 with 3434 viewsBluefish

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:12 - Mar 27 by itfcjoe

It saddens me how Mick couldn't keep the fans on side here as he was perfect for the football club under Evans' ownership.

He obviously had a lot of stick, but had he risen above it and showed a quarter of Lambert's spirit for the town he'd still be here and we wouldn't be heading for League 1.

I expect if Lambert came in under different circumstances then he wouldn't be trying so hard with the fans either. It smacks of an orchestrated effort to please the fans and get them to attend and take the heat of a lack of wins, relegation, lack of big spending and an ex norwich hero managing us

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:30 - Mar 27 with 3399 viewsitfcjoe

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 08:25 - Mar 27 by Bluefish

I expect if Lambert came in under different circumstances then he wouldn't be trying so hard with the fans either. It smacks of an orchestrated effort to please the fans and get them to attend and take the heat of a lack of wins, relegation, lack of big spending and an ex norwich hero managing us

From fans of his previous clubs it does seem that this is just his MO, maybe not to the extent it is here, but he's probably never had a role with such freedom since he was in L1 and L2.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 09:42 - Mar 27 with 3224 viewstextbackup

Doesn’t surprise me that in his short(ish) career that MM is is favourite.

I can’t remember my life ever not having an anti MM part in it, however even I can notice the players loved him. And why wouldn’t you, he praised them even if they played poorly, created an us against them mentality. If you were an average footballer you’d love the bloke.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 09:44 - Mar 27 with 3215 viewsITFC_Forever

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 22:31 - Mar 26 by Melford

If Lambert had been here in June he would have probably still have been here. Unfortunately as soon as he saw what Hurst and Doig were up to he got his agent on the phone.

Exactly this.

See also Garner, Joe.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 09:47 - Mar 27 with 3203 viewsPJH

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 09:44 - Mar 27 by ITFC_Forever

Exactly this.

See also Garner, Joe.

and probably Webster,Adam.

In fact if anyone competent had followed MM(or if MM had still been here)Waghorn,Garner and Webster would in all probability also still be here and we would be nowhere near where we are in the table.
Very rare that a player..... on 09:50 - Mar 27 with 3190 viewsBloots

.....doesn't name his current manager when asked this question.

Unless of course he's worked under a true legend of the game.

Says a lot.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Very rare that a player..... on 10:25 - Mar 27 with 3100 viewsRyorry

Very rare that a player..... on 09:50 - Mar 27 by Bloots

.....doesn't name his current manager when asked this question.

Unless of course he's worked under a true legend of the game.

Says a lot.

Quite.

Not to mention that some players suit & flourish under some managers and their style, while others obviously suit and flourish under others. Horses for courses etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 10:26 - Mar 27 with 3095 viewspatrickswell

The football is great
The atmosphere is great

I think Mick was trying to build for the future. Emmanuel, Kenlock, Dozzell, Downes and Nydam were all given debuts under him - Nydam’s first league start was in front of 34,000 people at a top of the table Leeds United. Also some of the prominent signings of people like Webster and Huws were young players rather than “proper blokes”. Sadly, injuries disrupted him from playing those guys in combination more frequently.
And that's part of the skill of management..... on 10:33 - Mar 27 with 3072 viewsBloots

Very rare that a player..... on 10:25 - Mar 27 by Ryorry

Quite.

Not to mention that some players suit & flourish under some managers and their style, while others obviously suit and flourish under others. Horses for courses etc.

....particularly when you have no money to spend and an owner that needs to generate income through player sales.

Finding players and paying peanuts for them, improving them, improving the team as a result and ultimately selling them at a profit is is a real skill.

Amazing that we survived for so long really.

Shame it's all gone to crap now.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 10:54 - Mar 27 with 3010 viewsITFC_Forever

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 09:47 - Mar 27 by PJH

and probably Webster,Adam.

In fact if anyone competent had followed MM(or if MM had still been here)Waghorn,Garner and Webster would in all probability also still be here and we would be nowhere near where we are in the table.

Not so sure about Webster as he left so early in the summer..... I think Hurst used him as a sacrificial lamb to bring in some money to be able to use in the transfer market - I would suggest the conversation ME and Hurst had was that there was not much of a transfer budget, but anything PH could raise by selling players he could keep xx % of it for use for signing players.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

And that's part of the skill of management..... on 11:00 - Mar 27 with 2981 viewsbritbiker

And that's part of the skill of management..... on 10:33 - Mar 27 by Bloots

....particularly when you have no money to spend and an owner that needs to generate income through player sales.

Finding players and paying peanuts for them, improving them, improving the team as a result and ultimately selling them at a profit is is a real skill.

Amazing that we survived for so long really.

Shame it's all gone to crap now.

Cant argue with that.
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 11:04 - Mar 27 with 2967 viewsArnieM

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 10:26 - Mar 27 by patrickswell

I think Mick was trying to build for the future. Emmanuel, Kenlock, Dozzell, Downes and Nydam were all given debuts under him - Nydam’s first league start was in front of 34,000 people at a top of the table Leeds United. Also some of the prominent signings of people like Webster and Huws were young players rather than “proper blokes”. Sadly, injuries disrupted him from playing those guys in combination more frequently.

True, the injuries at this Club has robbed McCarthy of a number of players. But for me there is something not right about the sheer number of long term injuries, to so many players at this Club.
If this had occurred just over a single season , you might put it down to bad luck , but it has happened over repeated seasons. There must surely be some kind of practice occuring , ( or not occurring), at Town which has contributed to these injuries, be it strengthening / conditioning regimes, pre season approaches, or simply types of players recruited by the Club.
It will be interesting to see if this “ bad luck”, changes under Paul Lamberts background team.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024