Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The apathy continues. 23:54 - Mar 31 with 5090 viewseddiespearitt03

It really is becoming difficult to believe Evans actually cares what we watch. . Yes, there has been a bit of passion in a few games under Paul Lambert but we are sill being let down by a clear lack of quality. Certain players that are just not good enough get another chance . Another chance that underlines another poor result. As usual the supporters are urged to stick with it and it is getting ridiculously frustrating to try and enjoy what is on offer.. There is little chance of progress under Evans regime .
The apathy continues. on 00:01 - Apr 1 with 4536 viewsjeera

This post couldn't come at a less appropriate time surely.

There are 7 games left and we are being relegated.

What would you like to happen right now?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The apathy continues. on 00:19 - Apr 1 with 4503 viewsmadmouse1959

The apathy continues. on 00:01 - Apr 1 by jeera

This post couldn't come at a less appropriate time surely.

There are 7 games left and we are being relegated.

What would you like to happen right now?

This post could come at any time Jeera.
This club has lost a lot and far too many good supporters. The matchday experience is now becoming a real struggle.

shampoo dave

The apathy continues. on 00:39 - Apr 1 with 4495 viewsGuthrum

'... a clear lack of quality.' - We didn't buy sufficient quality in the summer, despite our bright young prospect of a manager spending a fair sum of money. We were unlikely to be able to do so in January, due largely to being adrift at the bottom of the table. Injury has once again played a part. None of those things are directly Evans' fault.

'... not good enough get another chance.' - With whom should we replace them? In any case, few players have performed badly every game. And most of those are now sidelined.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The apathy continues. on 03:40 - Apr 1 with 4431 viewsjeera

The apathy continues. on 00:19 - Apr 1 by madmouse1959

This post could come at any time Jeera.
This club has lost a lot and far too many good supporters. The matchday experience is now becoming a real struggle.

I understand what you're saying, but surely at least right now we know why we're in the sh1t. It's not as though it's a mystery to us and I'm not sure apathy is the right term really.

Maybe a morbid acceptance [!] at the moment, given our situation, but with one eye at least fixed firmly on the future.

There's some optimism right?

Right?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The apathy continues. on 04:48 - Apr 1 with 4407 viewsBenters2

Sadly i realised that in January 2015.

That was our time the big chance to get out of the league the better way by going up.

Sadly now after years of selling our best players,being promised that the money would be spent to improve the squad ( it never happened),lack of spending has finally caught us up..

No we are going down,ive seen people saying they are looking forward to it,WTF is all that about?Its nothing to be happy about,me personally i think its a fkn disaster.

The same people are saying we will walk that league,the same people are having orgasms about Chambers signing a new 2 year contract,well i can see he is to slow,and i dont actually think he is that good,anybody with a bit of pace breezes past him.

Thats the trouble with a large percentage of our fanbase they are far to sentimental.

If we could all see we were going down before Christmas,WTF didnt Evans really go for it in January this year and strengthen the team?

I wait for one of the cool kids or the herd to say 'buy the club' etc or 'yeah but he puts in £6m of his own money'or better still 'spending da moneyz dont work see Derby'

End of.
The apathy continues. on 07:02 - Apr 1 with 4298 viewsFixed_It

Bishop. Lankaster. Downes. Dozzell. El Mizoumi Nydam. Woolfenden. Kenlock.
That is the route Evans has decided to take. Sure he's not chucking money at it. But if you can't get even a little excited about watching our homegrown talent develop then you prpbably support the wrong team.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The apathy continues. on 08:11 - Apr 1 with 4179 viewsblueconscience

The apathy continues. on 04:48 - Apr 1 by Benters2

That was our time the big chance to get out of the league the better way by going up.

Sadly now after years of selling our best players,being promised that the money would be spent to improve the squad ( it never happened),lack of spending has finally caught us up..

No we are going down,ive seen people saying they are looking forward to it,WTF is all that about?Its nothing to be happy about,me personally i think its a fkn disaster.

The same people are saying we will walk that league,the same people are having orgasms about Chambers signing a new 2 year contract,well i can see he is to slow,and i dont actually think he is that good,anybody with a bit of pace breezes past him.

Thats the trouble with a large percentage of our fanbase they are far to sentimental.

If we could all see we were going down before Christmas,WTF didnt Evans really go for it in January this year and strengthen the team?

I wait for one of the cool kids or the herd to say 'buy the club' etc or 'yeah but he puts in £6m of his own money'or better still 'spending da moneyz dont work see Derby'

End of.

Spot on!!!

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

The apathy continues. on 09:28 - Apr 1 with 4074 viewsBenters2

The apathy continues. on 08:11 - Apr 1 by blueconscience

Spot on!!!

Sad times isn’t it.
Login to get fewer ads

The apathy continues. on 09:30 - Apr 1 with 4070 viewsBenters2

The apathy continues. on 07:02 - Apr 1 by Fixed_It

That is the route Evans has decided to take. Sure he's not chucking money at it. But if you can't get even a little excited about watching our homegrown talent develop then you prpbably support the wrong team.

Develop getting better then it’s sell sell sell I’m afraid,and around we go again.
The apathy continues. on 09:32 - Apr 1 with 4064 viewsblueconscience

The apathy continues. on 09:28 - Apr 1 by Benters2

Sad times isn’t it.

I just feel sorry for the younger generation who have only seen us over the last 18 years.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

The apathy continues. on 09:32 - Apr 1 with 4064 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're not wrong, but as others have said there's very little that can be done about the quality now... Now is solely about spirit. Are we going to at least go down with a fight and a bit of pride or just give up. I'd say that over the last couple of months it's been looking like we're going to go salvage a bit of pride (if obviously lacking quality).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The apathy continues. on 10:25 - Apr 1 with 4013 viewsBenters2

The apathy continues. on 09:32 - Apr 1 by blueconscience

I just feel sorry for the younger generation who have only seen us over the last 18 years.

Hopefully they will have something to be happy about next season.
The apathy continues. on 10:54 - Apr 1 with 3969 viewsBluedandy

The Marcus Evans reign has been a disaster of stupendously epic proportions ... a very successful entrepreneur has unfortunately discovered that the business of football ownership is his industrially ruptured Achilles heel.

Taking us back into the third tier for the first time in more than 60 years with an ex-Norwich manager overseeing the worst league finish in our professional history perfectly sums up the era.

Oh if only Evans had bought Southampton instead ... I often pray the Godolphin rumour has legs but fear it will be just another Devon Loch moment on our journey into the knacker's yard of English football.
The apathy continues. on 12:43 - Apr 1 with 3848 viewsRegencyBlue

End of.

Sums it up pretty well!

League 1 is not going to be the walk in the park many seem to think, especially if Evans continues the penny pinching. If we don’t get back at the first time of asking I really fear we will be stuck there for years.

I heard Mick Mills on the radio the other day saying you don’t need money to compete in League 1 but Sunderland spent £3 million on a player in the January window!
The apathy continues. on 12:59 - Apr 1 with 3822 viewsGuthrum

The apathy continues. on 10:54 - Apr 1 by Bluedandy

The Marcus Evans reign has been a disaster of stupendously epic proportions ... a very successful entrepreneur has unfortunately discovered that the business of football ownership is his industrially ruptured Achilles heel.

Taking us back into the third tier for the first time in more than 60 years with an ex-Norwich manager overseeing the worst league finish in our professional history perfectly sums up the era.

Oh if only Evans had bought Southampton instead ... I often pray the Godolphin rumour has legs but fear it will be just another Devon Loch moment on our journey into the knacker's yard of English football.

It was also a time of considerable change in English football as a whole:

Parachute payments had been introduced not long before Evans arrival. They are now inflated from £11.4m for two seasons in 2007-08 to £41.6m for the first season after relegation in 2018-19, lasting for three years.

The average (disclosed) incoming transfer fee in the Championship was £0.98m in summer 2007, in 2018 it was £6.6m. The overall (disclosed) totals were £40.14m in 2007 and £66.05m in 2018. Tho the proportion of "undisclosed" has risen from 46.1% to 85.9% in that same time.

Financial Fair Play was introduced, then failed and has only been bolstered up within the last year.

EPPP was brought in to categorise the academies, plus rules making it harder to hold on to good prospects.

It's instructive to look at some of the clubs which were playing alongside us in the division in 2007-08 and where they have gone since: Barnsley, Charlton, Colchester, Coventry, Plymouth, Scunthorpe. Blackpool were on their way up at that point, but burnt out and crashed back down again. Teams like Luton and Southend had just been relegated on their way to the lower reaches of the League. Many of the others have had wealthy owners burn out and be forced into selling since 2007 (e.g. QPR, Watford, Hull, Palace).

How much of our progress over the last eleven years is Evans' fault in refusing to spend eye-watering sums of money* just to stand still and how much are we a victim of a changing environment?

* If he even has the spare cash to spend. Remember, virtually all of his wealth is made up of the notional value of his businesses, not money in the bank.

The apathy continues. on 13:21 - Apr 1 with 3776 viewslongtimefan

The apathy continues. on 12:59 - Apr 1 by Guthrum

Parachute payments had been introduced not long before Evans arrival. They are now inflated from £11.4m for two seasons in 2007-08 to £41.6m for the first season after relegation in 2018-19, lasting for three years.

The average (disclosed) incoming transfer fee in the Championship was £0.98m in summer 2007, in 2018 it was £6.6m. The overall (disclosed) totals were £40.14m in 2007 and £66.05m in 2018. Tho the proportion of "undisclosed" has risen from 46.1% to 85.9% in that same time.

Financial Fair Play was introduced, then failed and has only been bolstered up within the last year.

EPPP was brought in to categorise the academies, plus rules making it harder to hold on to good prospects.

It's instructive to look at some of the clubs which were playing alongside us in the division in 2007-08 and where they have gone since: Barnsley, Charlton, Colchester, Coventry, Plymouth, Scunthorpe. Blackpool were on their way up at that point, but burnt out and crashed back down again. Teams like Luton and Southend had just been relegated on their way to the lower reaches of the League. Many of the others have had wealthy owners burn out and be forced into selling since 2007 (e.g. QPR, Watford, Hull, Palace).

How much of our progress over the last eleven years is Evans' fault in refusing to spend eye-watering sums of money* just to stand still and how much are we a victim of a changing environment?

* If he even has the spare cash to spend. Remember, virtually all of his wealth is made up of the notional value of his businesses, not money in the bank.

Come on Guthrum. You know you shouldn't list facts and make intelligent comment on this board
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 13:22]
The apathy continues. on 15:52 - Apr 1 with 3679 viewsBluedandy

if it's instructive to look at the 2007-2008 season then bear in mind Leicester City were relegated to League One joining the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield. They've not done too bad since.

We finished eighth and of the teams that finished above us only Bristol City have not played in the top flight since then.

In that same season, our average attendance was 21.9K while Bristol City averaged 16K despite reaching a playoff final.

Under owner Steve Lansdown the Robins have been transformed by a man who had a radical plan to reinvent the club and its relationship with the wider community.

In that same season Brentford were playing in League Two (along with Rotherham) but again under an owner with dynamic vision i.e. Matthew Benham ... they have been reborn and are heading into a brand new stadium whilst ours fittingly falls apart.

Neither club has been lavished with Premier League millions and if either had been Town's owner since 2007 I suspect they would have done a far better job than Evans.

Football finances have changed dramatically but it's quite possible that the three teams promoted this season will have done so without a penny of parachute money.

Yes there are bigger basket cases in the lower leagues but being a comparatively stable third division club is a weird consolation prize.
The apathy continues. on 16:05 - Apr 1 with 3612 viewsblueislander

End of.

Beaters. Have you ever seen the word “too” written down, and do you know what it means?
The apathy continues. on 18:41 - Apr 1 with 3484 viewsGuthrum

The apathy continues. on 15:52 - Apr 1 by Bluedandy

if it's instructive to look at the 2007-2008 season then bear in mind Leicester City were relegated to League One joining the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield. They've not done too bad since.

We finished eighth and of the teams that finished above us only Bristol City have not played in the top flight since then.

In that same season, our average attendance was 21.9K while Bristol City averaged 16K despite reaching a playoff final.

Under owner Steve Lansdown the Robins have been transformed by a man who had a radical plan to reinvent the club and its relationship with the wider community.

In that same season Brentford were playing in League Two (along with Rotherham) but again under an owner with dynamic vision i.e. Matthew Benham ... they have been reborn and are heading into a brand new stadium whilst ours fittingly falls apart.

Neither club has been lavished with Premier League millions and if either had been Town's owner since 2007 I suspect they would have done a far better job than Evans.

Football finances have changed dramatically but it's quite possible that the three teams promoted this season will have done so without a penny of parachute money.

Yes there are bigger basket cases in the lower leagues but being a comparatively stable third division club is a weird consolation prize.

Leicester happened upon a vastly wealthy owner who was able to bankroll them for a number of seasons worth of big spending in the Championship.

Lansdown sold chunks of his business to fund Bristol. Benham is also very cash rich (or was before he started putting money into Brentford). They've both put in more money over a shorter period than Evans. They were both already fans (and directors) of the clubs they now own.

You're basically blaming Evans for not having the money (or the willingness to sacrifice his other interests) to do that.

The apathy continues. on 19:44 - Apr 1 with 3406 viewsMach_foreignBlue

End of.

Top post Benters and it tells the truth. But as we all know that Evans can do no wrong for some people.

He is certainly loved in Norwich for what he has done whilst with us. He certainly deserve a freedom of their city.
The apathy continues. on 19:47 - Apr 1 with 3397 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The apathy continues. on 12:43 - Apr 1 by RegencyBlue

Sums it up pretty well!

League 1 is not going to be the walk in the park many seem to think, especially if Evans continues the penny pinching. If we don’t get back at the first time of asking I really fear we will be stuck there for years.

I heard Mick Mills on the radio the other day saying you don’t need money to compete in League 1 but Sunderland spent £3 million on a player in the January window!

Quite likely that we'll be told that we can't compete with likes of Fleetwood for a player. Yet some will keep yapping that Evans ain't a bad owner.

As long as he owns the football club there is no hope whatsoever for us. The downward spiral won't stop.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 19:47]
The apathy continues. on 19:53 - Apr 1 with 3382 viewsRegencyBlue

Genuine question.

Do you absolve Evans of all blame for what has happened during the period of his ownership?

Yes football has changed rapidly during that time but some of his decisions, not just on the team front, but on how the club is run off the pitch have been truly awful.

For example, whilst everyone jokes about him, the appointment of Clegg for blatantly non footballing reasons was a classic!
The apathy continues. on 20:41 - Apr 1 with 3301 viewsGuthrum

The apathy continues. on 19:53 - Apr 1 by RegencyBlue

Genuine question.

Do you absolve Evans of all blame for what has happened during the period of his ownership?

Yes football has changed rapidly during that time but some of his decisions, not just on the team front, but on how the club is run off the pitch have been truly awful.

For example, whilst everyone jokes about him, the appointment of Clegg for blatantly non footballing reasons was a classic!

Not all responsibility, no.

His worst errors were - twice - appointing young up-coming managers after the fans became noisily dissatisfied with the previous incumbent and both times hiring men who turned out to be failures in the job.

Some of the stuff around season ticketing was not good nor done well.

He has not handled PR and relations with fans very well.

Clegg was appointed to run the non-football side of the business, so that's irrelevant. Same with Milne. The fact they also acted as mouthpiece got some people confused about their role.

He doesn't pick the team, the style of play, or decide which players to buy.

Blame mainly seems to be directed at Evans because he hasn't kept up with the galloping inflation in football. Very little is expressed at those who are responsible for that environment developing the way it has - the football authorites (first and foremost), media companies, fans who get excited over ever bigger transfer fees.

All of those are driving the situation where a pretty wealthy man, putting in several million virtually every season, cannot keep up with the cost of running a sports team. The Cobbolds could not hope to run a club like Ipswich in this day and age on the profits from a provincial brewery and a bit of landholding. It's why Sheepshanks and his colleagues realised they couldn't carry on. That is the reality of the modern English football landscape. And that is not Marcus Evans' fault.

The apathy continues. on 21:27 - Apr 1 with 3227 viewsBluedandy

The apathy continues. on 18:41 - Apr 1 by Guthrum

Leicester happened upon a vastly wealthy owner who was able to bankroll them for a number of seasons worth of big spending in the Championship.

Lansdown sold chunks of his business to fund Bristol. Benham is also very cash rich (or was before he started putting money into Brentford). They've both put in more money over a shorter period than Evans. They were both already fans (and directors) of the clubs they now own.

You're basically blaming Evans for not having the money (or the willingness to sacrifice his other interests) to do that.

Correct ... I am blaming Evans for taking Ipswich Town into the third division for the first time in more than 60 years.

It's his 11-year slow burn fiasco and no one else's ... the worst season in terms of results in Town's professional history is not down to tectonic shifts in football's financial landscape .... it's down to Evans, he owns our plight.

Incidentally Lansdown was originally a Bristol Rovers fan .... and FC Midtjylland have not won the Danish title twice in recent years because majority shareholder Matthew Benham is a devout supporter from childhood who volcanically splashes the cash.

It's just that when it comes to the development and execution of long-term ownership strategies Benham has been a much smarter cookie than Evans. He's proved that twice over.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 21:35]
The apathy continues. on 21:45 - Apr 1 with 3169 viewseddiespearitt03

The apathy continues. on 07:02 - Apr 1 by Fixed_It

There are plenty of fans excited by the youngsters coming through to play league One football.

There are also plenty of fans who want to see the so called stalwarts removed from this club once and for all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024