Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leave and fake news 10:08 - Apr 1 with 766 viewsWeWereZombies

Sad git that I am I was trawling the net for information on this afternoon's debate on the big petition (you know, the one suggesting revocation of Article 50 and staying in the EU that over six million have signed now) when I came across this snippet scheduled for Wednesday:

'Then comes a relative rarity, a privilege motion to censure Dominic Cummings, the mastermind of the Leave referendum campaign, for refusing to give evidence to the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee inquiry into fake news.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-parliaments-47747986

This afternoon's debate kicks off at 16:30 and is in Westminster Hall, not the main chamber, furthermore the big petition has been bundled in with two others (one for a second referendum and one to uphold the 2016 referendum) but it is all debate and no action anyway. However, it is being led by Catherine McKinnell, Labour MP for Newcastle North, who resigned from Corbyn's shadow cabinet even though she had the job of Shadow Attorney General and seems to be someone who follows up her principles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_McKinnell

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Leave and fake news on 10:14 - Apr 1 with 725 viewsLord_Lucan

Those petitions are almost always of absolute no significance to anything.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Leave and fake news on 10:25 - Apr 1 with 704 viewsWeWereZombies

Leave and fake news on 10:14 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

Those petitions are almost always of absolute no significance to anything.

They raise an issue, my little trawl of Parliamentary websites and related news feeds has reminded me of what a turgid business a lot of the formation of policies and law can be. But if you do not participate you are unlikely to be heard and surely everyone now realises that ignoring those who want a positive relationship either in or with the European Union are by far the majority.

Don't give up so easily.

Leave and fake news on 10:33 - Apr 1 with 678 viewsLord_Lucan

Leave and fake news on 10:25 - Apr 1 by WeWereZombies

They raise an issue, my little trawl of Parliamentary websites and related news feeds has reminded me of what a turgid business a lot of the formation of policies and law can be. But if you do not participate you are unlikely to be heard and surely everyone now realises that ignoring those who want a positive relationship either in or with the European Union are by far the majority.

Don't give up so easily.

There has been three petitions in the past three years concerning the industry I work in, I genuinely don't think they create much notice generally and it is pretty much given that people can vote multiple times.

On this instance I think that such is the magnitude of the issue and there is so much going on by the minute that a petition is yesterdays chip paper before it started.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells x 2m

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Leave and fake news on 11:57 - Apr 1 with 629 viewsWeWereZombies

Leave and fake news on 10:33 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

There has been three petitions in the past three years concerning the industry I work in, I genuinely don't think they create much notice generally and it is pretty much given that people can vote multiple times.

On this instance I think that such is the magnitude of the issue and there is so much going on by the minute that a petition is yesterdays chip paper before it started.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells x 2m

Don't accept that multiple votes are a given, the four million petition had a fair amount of weeding out done on it and this time we know that the checks are a bit more stringent although the Parliament IT department (quite sensibly) are not letting on what their methods are.

Leviathan is a ponderously moving beast but it is better to be on top having a go at directing it than in it's path. No matter how big and tough you look and how loud a supposed leader shouts about their great idea you get crushed if you do not get out of the way.

Leave and fake news on 12:10 - Apr 1 with 609 viewsNo9

The issue with Cummings should be taken very seriously.
He is no doubt taking his leade from Banks.
If parliament allow this to continue then MP's will be complicit in undermining the parliamentary process + democracy.

The law says any petition with more than 100k signatures must be debated.

Not good
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024