Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First ITFC Away Game 14:22 - Apr 1 with 11551 viewsHeathlander

Mine was 5th March 1977 away to Arsenal. The Town won 4-1. I remember Keith Bertschin scoring for us. We wore the yellow shirt with the blue v collar, blue shorts and yellow socks. I liked that kit.

Our coach was attacked by Spurs fans after the game and the windows were put in. A few people had injuries and we had to go to the hospital to get them patched up. I was 10, so quite an introduction to away days. Tried to find the team who played that day but can't find it. I was hooked.
First ITFC Away Game on 14:26 - Apr 1 with 6178 viewstextbackup

2-1 loss away at Southend, think it was a week or so before the Millwall relegation game.

Blokes with non drying paint all over them, and a fight in the corner. Must have been about 8/9?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

First ITFC Away Game on 14:40 - Apr 1 with 6141 viewsSteve_M

Southend away, 27 years ago this week. It was rather a good one:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

First ITFC Away Game on 14:45 - Apr 1 with 6123 viewsHeathlander

First ITFC Away Game on 14:40 - Apr 1 by Steve_M

Southend away, 27 years ago this week. It was rather a good one:

I was at that game. It was rather good wasn't it. I believe a Thommo special won the game late on if memory serves me well.
First ITFC Away Game on 14:57 - Apr 1 with 6100 viewsTractorCam

23rd October 2003
Watford 1-2 Ipswich
Shefi Kuqi debut and goal (I think) and Jim Magilton chip, I was 7.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

First ITFC Away Game on 15:03 - Apr 1 with 6074 viewsLord_Lucan

I genuinely can't remember - but I think it might have been the same game.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

First ITFC Away Game on 15:05 - Apr 1 with 6073 viewsSteve_M

First ITFC Away Game on 14:57 - Apr 1 by TractorCam

23rd October 2003
Watford 1-2 Ipswich
Shefi Kuqi debut and goal (I think) and Jim Magilton chip, I was 7.

Yes, Shefki scored about a minute after coming on at half-time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

First ITFC Away Game on 15:10 - Apr 1 with 6068 viewsClapham_Junction

11 November 1995, away to Millwall. Went with a Millwall-supporting friend in with the home fans. Despite all the bravado from said friend about how hard Millwall fans were, my main memory of the match is the guys behind us spending most of the game talking about medieval politics.

We lost 2-1 and Millwall were top of the league. They then collapsed in the second half of the season and went down on the last day after that 0-0 at Portman Road which also meant we didn't make the playoffs.
First ITFC Away Game on 15:23 - Apr 1 with 6043 viewsLesta_Tractor

Nottm Forest in the FA Cup in 97, lost 3-0.

Been a few times but have never seen us win at the City Ground.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Login to get fewer ads

First ITFC Away Game on 15:30 - Apr 1 with 6032 viewsCoastalblue

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

First ITFC Away Game on 15:40 - Apr 1 with 6009 viewscaught-in-limbo

I've only seen Town play away from home 3 times. I've always brought them bad luck.

First match: Elland Road - 16th April 1977. Lost 2:1. (aged 1yr 3months) - Dad never took me to away matches again.
Second match: Oakwell - 2nd October 1990. Lost 5:1 (aged 16) - Never went with my cousin again.
Third match: City Ground - 5th April 1998. Lost 2:1 (aged 22) - Never seen Town play away since.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 15:45]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

First ITFC Away Game on 15:48 - Apr 1 with 5979 viewsnoggin

Mid 70s at Highbury. We lost 1-0.
first without dad. Luton in the cup. We won 3-0 early 80s.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

First ITFC Away Game on 15:51 - Apr 1 with 5972 viewsblueislander

That was Bertschin’s debut, and his first touch was the diving header into the net. My first away match was at Crystal Palace on Easter Monday (1956 I think.) 1-1 draw , and the pitch was virtually devoid of any grass.
First ITFC Away Game on 15:53 - Apr 1 with 5969 viewsfloridablue

Mine was the 1967 FA cup 5th round against Man City when we were still in the old 2nd division and City one of the top teams in the 1st. 13 years old and went with family on a coach from Woodbridge. Remember it was raining heavy all day and the old Maine Rd stadium didn't have much cover. Huge following of Town fans there to see us draw 1-1 but almost snatch it as we hit the bar late on. Couple of days later they beat us 0-3 with more than 30,000 inside the Road!
First ITFC Away Game on 15:55 - Apr 1 with 5958 viewsnoggin

First ITFC Away Game on 15:10 - Apr 1 by Clapham_Junction

11 November 1995, away to Millwall. Went with a Millwall-supporting friend in with the home fans. Despite all the bravado from said friend about how hard Millwall fans were, my main memory of the match is the guys behind us spending most of the game talking about medieval politics.

We lost 2-1 and Millwall were top of the league. They then collapsed in the second half of the season and went down on the last day after that 0-0 at Portman Road which also meant we didn't make the playoffs.

That last game of the season at PR. If, like me, you were on the train from Liverpool St that was delayed, arriving just before ko, you would be in no doubt about how they got their reputation. Never been so scared in my life.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

First ITFC Away Game on 15:59 - Apr 1 with 5943 viewsblueislander

First ITFC Away Game on 15:55 - Apr 1 by noggin

That last game of the season at PR. If, like me, you were on the train from Liverpool St that was delayed, arriving just before ko, you would be in no doubt about how they got their reputation. Never been so scared in my life.

That game was the last my Mum went to. She had a season ticket which my brother and I bought for her birthday. She was 80 years old , and was petrified at the Millwall match.
First ITFC Away Game on 16:04 - Apr 1 with 5928 viewsIpswichKnight

1:1 away v Cov 23rd Nov 1982.
First ITFC Away Game on 16:05 - Apr 1 with 5922 viewsPendejo

Same game for me. Sivell in goal that day.

I have seen Ipswich play at Highbury 3 times, winning all three.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First ITFC Away Game on 16:08 - Apr 1 with 5915 viewswoodbridge_blue

Texaco Cup Final for me, May 1973, a 2-1 win to replicate the first leg at Portman Road, and our first trophy under SBR. I was 13 at the time and remember sitting perched on some railings at the rear of the River End for some reason. Can't recall any argy bargy before, during or after but I'm sure there must have been somewhere!!
First ITFC Away Game on 16:09 - Apr 1 with 5914 viewsWeWereZombies

First ITFC Away Game on 15:30 - Apr 1 by Coastalblue

My West Brom supporting mate was just too young to go to that one but still insists they wuz robbed. Me and my brothers are somewhere in that mass of Town supporters at the end without a roof.

First away match for me was the 'goal that never was' game at Stamford Bridge:

https://beyondthelastman.com/2017/09/26/a-bad-day-for-officialdom-at-stamford-br

Clive Thomas gets a mention in the above link too...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

First ITFC Away Game on 16:25 - Apr 1 with 5862 viewshorsehollerer

This one. FA Cup 6th round at Everton. I can spot 15 year old me standing behind the goal to the left. Proper FA Cup footie.

This was also my favourite ever Town away kit. White shirts with a red band across the chest, navy shorts, red socks. Lovely.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

First ITFC Away Game on 16:25 - Apr 1 with 5858 viewscaught-in-limbo

There you go, you can probably piece the team together from this:

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

First ITFC Away Game on 16:27 - Apr 1 with 5855 viewsRomeo4

Brighton away in 1991. Last game of the season and they beat us 2-1 to make the play offs in what was then Division 2. Don’t remember much other than Kiwomya scoring, their pitch invasion at the end and getting chips on Brighton pier afterwards.

We went up as champions under Lyall the following season. TWTD!
First ITFC Away Game on 16:32 - Apr 1 with 5847 viewsIllinoisblue

Leicester away, September 1988. Won 1-0. Went on the travel club coaches. In awe of the boozed up masses on the terraces. Felt like a coming of age moment.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First ITFC Away Game on 16:51 - Apr 1 with 5758 viewsEatonBlue

White Hart Lane January 1965 FA Cup 4th Round - lost 5-0
First ITFC Away Game on 16:52 - Apr 1 with 5757 viewsFifeITFC

April 1986

Chelsea 1 Town 1. Think Mark Brennan got our goal.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024