Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
News from the EU 13:43 - Apr 3 with 1812 viewsNo9

Radio
There will be no further extansions granted to the UK unless the present agreement is ratified by 12 April.
News from the EU on 13:49 - Apr 3 with 1772 viewsStokieBlue

I find that hard to believe. If Corbyn and May can agree something that will get through then they will extend.

They don't want a hard brexit either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

News from the EU on 13:49 - Apr 3 with 1772 viewsGuthrum

But, having given an extension once, that is no longer an immutable position. After all, it does not particularly benefit the EU to force a No Deal exit, either.

Also, who actually made that statement, how authoritative is it?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

News from the EU on 14:03 - Apr 3 with 1727 viewsGuthrum

News from the EU on 13:49 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

But, having given an extension once, that is no longer an immutable position. After all, it does not particularly benefit the EU to force a No Deal exit, either.

From the Guardian (my italics): 'Norbert Röttgen, a member of Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union who heads the Bundestag’s foreign affairs committee, tweeted on Wednesday morning: “In the current situation of deep institutional deadlock, there is no point in asking for another short delay of Brexit. EU should insist on long extension with participation in EU elections."'

News from the EU on 14:43 - Apr 3 with 1654 viewsfactual_blue

News from the EU on 14:03 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

From the Guardian (my italics): 'Norbert Röttgen, a member of Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union who heads the Bundestag’s foreign affairs committee, tweeted on Wednesday morning: “In the current situation of deep institutional deadlock, there is no point in asking for another short delay of Brexit. EU should insist on long extension with participation in EU elections."'

Two centuries seems an appropriate length of time to me.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

News from the EU on 16:29 - Apr 3 with 1575 viewsLord_Lucan

They'll extend for ever and a day given the chance.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

News from the EU on 16:31 - Apr 3 with 1568 viewschicoazul

News from the EU on 13:49 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Juncker.

EDIT; the OP is slightly wrong in that Juncker said there would be no more "short" extensions after then.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 16:32]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

News from the EU on 16:31 - Apr 3 with 1567 viewsGeoffSentence

News from the EU on 16:29 - Apr 3 by Lord_Lucan

They'll extend for ever and a day given the chance.

I think they would, but that would be pretty much the worst thing to do. Its the uncertainty that fecks things up.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

News from the EU on 17:15 - Apr 3 with 1488 viewsWeWereZombies

News from the EU on 16:31 - Apr 3 by chicoazul

Juncker.

EDIT; the OP is slightly wrong in that Juncker said there would be no more "short" extensions after then.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 16:32]

Isn't it the Secretary-General of the European Commission Martin Selmayr's decision as whether we get an extension or not?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 17:15]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

News from the EU on 20:00 - Apr 3 with 1402 viewsSwansea_Blue

That would be eminently sensible. But May’s recent speach suggested she had no intention of participating in the Euro elections because she wanted to wrap everything up by the cutoff date. But now she’s just said she will start preparing for the elections, so who knows. Rarely does she say what she means, so either option is presumably possible.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

News from the EU on 20:09 - Apr 3 with 1388 viewsGuthrum

News from the EU on 17:15 - Apr 3 by WeWereZombies

Isn't it the Secretary-General of the European Commission Martin Selmayr's decision as whether we get an extension or not?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 17:15]

Believe it has to be agreed by the EU27.

News from the EU on 05:03 - Apr 4 with 1291 viewsWeWereZombies

News from the EU on 20:09 - Apr 3 by Guthrum

Believe it has to be agreed by the EU27.

Well, yes - but some media will have you believe that nothing gets done that Juncker's bulldog does not want to get done. Anyway, it is up to the Lords before we find out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47809717

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

News from the EU on 10:18 - Apr 4 with 1204 viewsNo9

The Letwin - Cooper bill got through by one vote.
The Commons is sitting now - CoE Hammond has just split the cabinet wide open
There are efforts to get the Letwin- Cooper bill through the upper house by CoB today
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024