Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope 10:51 - Apr 4 with 955 viewschicoazul

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/04/customs-union-soft-brexit-

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 10:56 - Apr 4 with 936 viewsLord_Lucan

It's a fair article.

Staying in The Customs Union as it stands is ridiculous if we are still to leave.

The more I think about it I genuinely don't think a lot of people actually have a clue what they are talking about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 11:48 - Apr 4 with 885 viewsSteve_M

Prominent leave voter makes argument based on long-held opinions. Some obvious flaws there, percentage increases without mentioning the size of the base is cherry picking (non-EU trade in services is orders of magnitude below EU trade) and he ignores that EU liberalisation of services, although the weakest of the four freedoms, is still ahead of the rest of the world.

The big flaw, policy-wise not in this piece, is customs union without single market of course, it's inevitable that we'll realise we need that too at some stage but the UK is in a slow process of discovering reality. Elliott hovers around that point but ignores it because it goes against his desire to leave.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:00 - Apr 4 with 856 viewsStokieBlue

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 11:48 - Apr 4 by Steve_M

Prominent leave voter makes argument based on long-held opinions. Some obvious flaws there, percentage increases without mentioning the size of the base is cherry picking (non-EU trade in services is orders of magnitude below EU trade) and he ignores that EU liberalisation of services, although the weakest of the four freedoms, is still ahead of the rest of the world.

The big flaw, policy-wise not in this piece, is customs union without single market of course, it's inevitable that we'll realise we need that too at some stage but the UK is in a slow process of discovering reality. Elliott hovers around that point but ignores it because it goes against his desire to leave.

This is essentially what I was going to post.

He's certainly cherry picking, for instance it's easier to get a higher percentage increase from a low starting point. To do comparisons with our starting point on trade with the EU which has been high for decades is virtually meaningless without some form of normalisation.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:02 - Apr 4 with 846 viewsSteve_M

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:00 - Apr 4 by StokieBlue

This is essentially what I was going to post.

He's certainly cherry picking, for instance it's easier to get a higher percentage increase from a low starting point. To do comparisons with our starting point on trade with the EU which has been high for decades is virtually meaningless without some form of normalisation.

SB

Nicely illustrated with top class graphics yesterday:

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:07 - Apr 4 with 837 viewsDarth_Koont

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 11:48 - Apr 4 by Steve_M

Agreed.

He also avoids another plus of a customs union in the current situation as it would go a long way to resolving the Irish border question.

Politicians and media alike, an inability to address reality and/or consider the details seems to be the major flaw in the Brexit debate.

Pronouns: He/Him

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:12 - Apr 4 with 821 viewsSteve_M

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:07 - Apr 4 by Darth_Koont

Agreed.

He also avoids another plus of a customs union in the current situation as it would go a long way to resolving the Irish border question.

Politicians and media alike, an inability to address reality and/or consider the details seems to be the major flaw in the Brexit debate.

It helps with the Irish border but it doesn't solve it though. Non-tariff barriers - that is regulatory alignment - is a more important factor for trade than tariffs are these days. There remains a problem as to whether NI ends up aligned to the EU or UK in that scenario - neither is problem free.

I totally agree on your last point though.

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:30 - Apr 4 with 798 viewsDarth_Koont

My man Larry here with an elbow from the top rope on 12:12 - Apr 4 by Steve_M

It helps with the Irish border but it doesn't solve it though. Non-tariff barriers - that is regulatory alignment - is a more important factor for trade than tariffs are these days. There remains a problem as to whether NI ends up aligned to the EU or UK in that scenario - neither is problem free.

I totally agree on your last point though.

Sure. But enough alignment to at least avoid the need for a hard border with border checks. Without that level assured, then there's no basis for discussing any of the other issues within the GFA like free movement of people within Ireland.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024