Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian front page today 11:13 - Apr 4 with 3522 viewsNo9

Revelation there are strong links between the pro-brexit ads & the tories - is this normal politics or have we a new process unveiled?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/grassroots-facebook-brexit-ads-

Where does democracy begin & end?

Guardian front page today on 11:16 - Apr 4 with 2629 viewspickles110564

What about the facebook one's from Labour, do they count?
Guardian front page today on 11:20 - Apr 4 with 2607 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 11:16 - Apr 4 by pickles110564

What about the facebook one's from Labour, do they count?

Not really, if you know they're from Labour. These ads don't disclose who is paying for them - i.e. secret funders have spent £0.5m spiffing around Brexit ads in the last few months.

Why wouldn't they want to be known?
Guardian front page today on 11:35 - Apr 4 with 2569 viewsNo9

Guardian front page today on 11:20 - Apr 4 by XYZ

Not really, if you know they're from Labour. These ads don't disclose who is paying for them - i.e. secret funders have spent £0.5m spiffing around Brexit ads in the last few months.

Why wouldn't they want to be known?

One has to wonder why the name 'Boris Johnson' appears on just about all this type of enquiry.
Guardian front page today on 11:47 - Apr 4 with 2547 viewsSwansea_Blue

They've finally found some evidence for who's behind the Britain's Future adds have they? I'm surprised it wasn't Banks if I'm honest.

It's as murky as feck.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Guardian front page today on 11:50 - Apr 4 with 2529 viewsNo9

Guardian front page today on 11:47 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

They've finally found some evidence for who's behind the Britain's Future adds have they? I'm surprised it wasn't Banks if I'm honest.

It's as murky as feck.

& it is no credit to the present government that they are doing nothing about it.

Maybe they know where it will lead to?
Guardian front page today on 11:56 - Apr 4 with 2513 viewsSwansea_Blue

Guardian front page today on 11:50 - Apr 4 by No9

& it is no credit to the present government that they are doing nothing about it.

Maybe they know where it will lead to?

I'm still amazed that we're in a situation where the result of the referendum would probably have been voided, or at least suspended pending enquiries, had it been legally binding. But because it was advisory the breaches of electoral law can be ignored. How the heck does that work without undermining the integrity of the system? I'd be saying the same whichever way the vote went.

Talking about cheating, have you seen this - proper naughty. Nearly got away with it too 😂

Guardian front page today on 11:58 - Apr 4 with 2503 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 11:56 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

I'm still amazed that we're in a situation where the result of the referendum would probably have been voided, or at least suspended pending enquiries, had it been legally binding. But because it was advisory the breaches of electoral law can be ignored. How the heck does that work without undermining the integrity of the system? I'd be saying the same whichever way the vote went.

Talking about cheating, have you seen this - proper naughty. Nearly got away with it too 😂

'the result of the referendum would probably have been voided, or at least suspended' do you have a legally credible source for this assertion?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Guardian front page today on 12:00 - Apr 4 with 2492 viewsNo9

Guardian front page today on 11:58 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

'the result of the referendum would probably have been voided, or at least suspended' do you have a legally credible source for this assertion?

Think about it
Login to get fewer ads

Guardian front page today on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 2475 viewsNo9

Guardian front page today on 11:56 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

As bad if not worse than the tory whips trying to get his side to break pairing agreements?

If nothing else this brexit muddle has really told us who the 'nasty party' really is
Guardian front page today on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 2472 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:00 - Apr 4 by No9

Think about it

so that's a 'no' from you. let's wait and see if there's a more interesting answer.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Guardian front page today on 12:09 - Apr 4 with 2445 viewsBlueBadger

Guardian front page today on 12:03 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

so that's a 'no' from you. let's wait and see if there's a more interesting answer.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/watch-lawyer-explain-brexit-vote-would-be

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Guardian front page today on 12:17 - Apr 4 with 2417 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:09 - Apr 4 by BlueBadger

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/watch-lawyer-explain-brexit-vote-would-be

i think you missed the word 'credible'. in the case you refer to, having dismissed the appeal on all 7 grounds, the judge noted that “the applicants clearly oppose the uk leaving the eu; and hold strong views to that effect” … “judicial review is not, and should not be regarded as, politics by another means.”

Guardian front page today on 12:17 - Apr 4 with 2416 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 12:09 - Apr 4 by BlueBadger

That's the one. I believe it was the Sue Wilson case. All the pleadings and arguments are available online.
Guardian front page today on 12:22 - Apr 4 with 2396 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:17 - Apr 4 by XYZ

That's the one. I believe it was the Sue Wilson case. All the pleadings and arguments are available online.

you know the case failed?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 12:25]

Guardian front page today on 12:25 - Apr 4 with 2386 viewsSwansea_Blue

Guardian front page today on 11:58 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

As in someone to quote, no.

Although if it was binding a court could have ordered it to be rerun on the basis of the Electoral Commission findings. Because it wasn't binding, they could not, it was simply a Parliamentary or Government matter, neither of whom seem to care. I'm fairly sure that's the legal position.

Guardian front page today on 12:25 - Apr 4 with 2386 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 12:22 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

you know the case failed?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 12:25]

Not very good on the law are you?

Check my post history and you'll find a few references to this case, each setting out the decision and reasons for it.

The result of the case does not mean that valid and authoritative legal arguments were not made during the proceedings.

The ball's in your court now - go find an authoritative counter argument.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 12:26]
Guardian front page today on 12:29 - Apr 4 with 2364 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:25 - Apr 4 by XYZ

Not very good on the law are you?

Check my post history and you'll find a few references to this case, each setting out the decision and reasons for it.

The result of the case does not mean that valid and authoritative legal arguments were not made during the proceedings.

The ball's in your court now - go find an authoritative counter argument.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 12:26]

a lawyer made a case. the court rejected it. lawyers can argue a whole range of things, sometimes eloquently, but we rely on the courts, and the courts alone, to determine what is a valid and authoritative legal argument.

I think this is a great case where people want something to be true, because it fits their political view, and they think that asserting it strongly enough makes it true.

if you're going to question my legal knowledge, perhaps share your own legal qualifications first, eh.

Guardian front page today on 12:33 - Apr 4 with 2347 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:25 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

As in someone to quote, no.

Although if it was binding a court could have ordered it to be rerun on the basis of the Electoral Commission findings. Because it wasn't binding, they could not, it was simply a Parliamentary or Government matter, neither of whom seem to care. I'm fairly sure that's the legal position.

"Although if it was binding a court could have ordered it to be rerun on the basis of the Electoral Commission findings. Because it wasn't binding, they could not"

again that's just an assertion. it is not legally established to be so. asserting stuff doesn't make it true.

Guardian front page today on 12:35 - Apr 4 with 2337 viewsSwansea_Blue

Guardian front page today on 12:29 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

a lawyer made a case. the court rejected it. lawyers can argue a whole range of things, sometimes eloquently, but we rely on the courts, and the courts alone, to determine what is a valid and authoritative legal argument.

I think this is a great case where people want something to be true, because it fits their political view, and they think that asserting it strongly enough makes it true.

if you're going to question my legal knowledge, perhaps share your own legal qualifications first, eh.

That case is talking about a different issue to the one being discussed here. That was a case that the referendum as run (advisory) should still be overturned. We were talking about the position that had it been legally binding there would have been a legal route for it to be overturned.

Guardian front page today on 12:35 - Apr 4 with 2335 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 12:29 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

Utter b*llocks. It wasn't about the result of that case. It had nothing to do with the result of that case. It was an interesting side point to the argument they were making in that case.

I've worked in and around the law for 30 years. I have a law degree. I have two other professional qualifications. I work with lawyers every day. Clients use me to run their lawyers because they know the lawyers won't be able to dick me around.

Now, as I said, you've got the legal argument you asked for. It's up to you to find the counter argument.
Guardian front page today on 12:42 - Apr 4 with 2304 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 12:35 - Apr 4 by XYZ

Utter b*llocks. It wasn't about the result of that case. It had nothing to do with the result of that case. It was an interesting side point to the argument they were making in that case.

I've worked in and around the law for 30 years. I have a law degree. I have two other professional qualifications. I work with lawyers every day. Clients use me to run their lawyers because they know the lawyers won't be able to dick me around.

Now, as I said, you've got the legal argument you asked for. It's up to you to find the counter argument.

Ah, the downarrow from lowhouse. So eloquent.
Guardian front page today on 12:42 - Apr 4 with 2303 viewslowhouseblue

great then you can provide a link to a court finding that the result would have been over-ruled. not someone's argument that that would have been the outcome. otherwise you're just making a rather shouty assertion.

Guardian front page today on 12:45 - Apr 4 with 2280 viewsBlueBadger

Good old Lowehouse, he's really embracing our expert-free future.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Guardian front page today on 12:47 - Apr 4 with 2274 viewsXYZ

Guardian front page today on 12:42 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

great then you can provide a link to a court finding that the result would have been over-ruled. not someone's argument that that would have been the outcome. otherwise you're just making a rather shouty assertion.

You're making yourself look a bit silly now.

It wasn't a binding referendum, therefore there is no court case. Comprendez vous?

Now, as you've taken up peoples time finding what you asked for, maybe show the courtesy of finding a counter argument or conceding you can't.
Guardian front page today on 12:53 - Apr 4 with 2245 viewslowhouseblue

Guardian front page today on 12:47 - Apr 4 by XYZ

You're making yourself look a bit silly now.

It wasn't a binding referendum, therefore there is no court case. Comprendez vous?

Now, as you've taken up peoples time finding what you asked for, maybe show the courtesy of finding a counter argument or conceding you can't.

ah, there was no court case. so all your have is an argument which a court may or may not uphold. and in the absence of anything more you're therefore just making an assertion.

I don't need to provide a counter argument - my point is only that you are making an unproven assertion. for it to be unproven I don't need to show that it is wrong - just that it is unproven. and we've now agreed that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024