Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racism in football - Ipswich edition 08:08 - Apr 7 with 11332 viewstextbackup

Hand on heart, in 25ish years of following Town I have heard 1 racist remark.

Can anyone say they’ve heard it within our following?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:17 - Apr 7 with 4861 viewsnoggin

Not for around 40 years.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:21 - Apr 7 with 4869 viewssparks

Yes. Aimed at a Sikh linesman,

I don't count the abuse directed at Magilton which was prefaced with "Irish" given that Irish is not a race.

Generally though, I have difficulty with the narrative that is now being created. John Barnes said the other day that he didnt see why we were so up in arms abotu the recent England game, when we dont deal with the issues which exist everyday in English football.

Whilst issues which arise should be dealt with more severely and promptly, I simply don't see this apparent ongoing pervasive issue here. Which makes Rose's comments rather baffling.

I have watcehd football at all levels for 30 odd years. Including the one above (which was along time ago now) I can only think of one other low level racist incident I have witnessed (some moron at a non league game said "Hey its the united nations" as the opposition ran out.)

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:31 - Apr 7 with 4821 viewsnoggin

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:21 - Apr 7 by sparks

I don't count the abuse directed at Magilton which was prefaced with "Irish" given that Irish is not a race.

Generally though, I have difficulty with the narrative that is now being created. John Barnes said the other day that he didnt see why we were so up in arms abotu the recent England game, when we dont deal with the issues which exist everyday in English football.

Whilst issues which arise should be dealt with more severely and promptly, I simply don't see this apparent ongoing pervasive issue here. Which makes Rose's comments rather baffling.

I have watcehd football at all levels for 30 odd years. Including the one above (which was along time ago now) I can only think of one other low level racist incident I have witnessed (some moron at a non league game said "Hey its the united nations" as the opposition ran out.)

On the subject of abuse towards Irish people, I have noted a serious rise in sectarian abuse, aimed at Irish/Scottish catholics, by an element of our support. It might always have been there but I’ve seen quite a lot on social media recently. Never heard it at a game.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 8:34]

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:33 - Apr 7 with 4822 viewstextbackup

I remember when we (the Belstead arms) played the silver star, all knew it each and it was matey, but they called us a team a milkys.... which was pretty funny on a cold Sunday morning

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:40 - Apr 7 with 4794 viewsSomethingBlue

Not for years although the old boys behind me in Block M when I was a kid used to mutter some pretty awful stuff about, to name two, Samassi Abou and Finidi George that went far beyond criticism of the players' qualities.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:42 - Apr 7 with 4774 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:31 - Apr 7 by noggin

On the subject of abuse towards Irish people, I have noted a serious rise in sectarian abuse, aimed at Irish/Scottish catholics, by an element of our support. It might always have been there but I’ve seen quite a lot on social media recently. Never heard it at a game.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 8:34]

It doesn't help that sectarian abuse is basically promoted by the Irish and Scottish.

People probably learn the abuse from Old Firm fans.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:45 - Apr 7 with 4755 viewsnoggin

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:42 - Apr 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

It doesn't help that sectarian abuse is basically promoted by the Irish and Scottish.

People probably learn the abuse from Old Firm fans.

It does seem to be the GSTQ and **** the Pope kind of stuff, which seems bizarre from Fans of Ipswich Town.

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:03 - Apr 7 with 4681 viewsBloomBlue

In the late 70s I can remember the north stand singing as one; trigger, trigger, trigger shoot that n****r. But I dont recall hearing anything for years
Login to get fewer ads

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:05 - Apr 7 with 4657 viewsBluefish

Sorry hadn't seen this when starting a new thread

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:17 - Apr 7 with 4621 viewsGunnsAirkick

Twice.

The worst one I've heard is at Maine Road, some of our fans were singing "I'd rather be a P@ki than a manc".

The only other time was when I heard someone abusing JET, some guy said "put some effort into it blackie!"

Considering how f*cked up football supporters (and people in general) can be, I'd say we're a good bunch overall (based on my experiences).

Wasn't there a chant in the 80's about racial harmony?

On that subject, I love the MOTD FA Cup intro with our black supporters, they can make out we're yokels all they like, I'd say we're more progressive than a lot of clubs.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 10:46]
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:22 - Apr 7 with 4571 viewsGunnsAirkick

Ah right, so you haven't seen it, so it doesn't exist. Good one.

In terms of our club I agree, but there are multiple examples of it happening at other clubs in the modern game. What an absurd comment.
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:33 - Apr 7 with 4517 viewsle2blue

Ipswich v Bradford around 89 or 90...when away fans were still in half the north stand...ipswich signing "you've got (people from Pakistan) in your crowd we aint"...that is the last time i can recall.
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:36 - Apr 7 with 4486 viewsle2blue

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:33 - Apr 7 by le2blue

Ipswich v Bradford around 89 or 90...when away fans were still in half the north stand...ipswich signing "you've got (people from Pakistan) in your crowd we aint"...that is the last time i can recall.

I also recall up until recently Ipswich fans quite regularly singing to Brighton fans..."does your boyfriend know you're here"
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 9:37]
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:41 - Apr 7 with 4474 viewsgtsb

I lived in Ipswich between 1980-82. I was in what we will call a naughty boys home in Belstead Road. It was the first time I'd ever encountered a close society where people weren't all white. I'd come from Sudbury where at the the time I can only recall two people I remember who weren't white. This placed housed twelve of us and a quarter were black. It was the best education in terms of racial harmony I could have had. All of us argued every now and again, all of us went on holiday together, all of us ate our meals together and when someone was in trouble we all stuck together. It made me realise we are all the same and racism is wrong from a very young and impressionable age. The one thing that stands out though regarding the football is that only the white boys went even though we collectively talked about it.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 9:42]
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:45 - Apr 7 with 4440 viewsxrayspecs

Like a lot of clubs, we did not always cover ourselves in glory in the 70s/80s but I think Town fans have moved with the times and the occasional dickhead comment apart, it is not something you hear when following Town.

While explicit racism exists to some degree in football, I am not sure it is as bad as it was in years gone by. What has changed is footballers/media calling it out, which is a good thing.
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:47 - Apr 7 with 4430 viewsxrayspecs

I agree with you. I am not sure it is as common as it was thirty or forty years ago.

It is still wrong. What has changed is players' and society's willingness to confront it head-on rather than accept it as part of the game.
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:51 - Apr 7 with 4399 viewsReuser_is_God

Nope.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:55 - Apr 7 with 4394 viewstextbackup

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:17 - Apr 7 by GunnsAirkick

Twice.

The worst one I've heard is at Maine Road, some of our fans were singing "I'd rather be a P@ki than a manc".

The only other time was when I heard someone abusing JET, some guy said "put some effort into it blackie!"

Considering how f*cked up football supporters (and people in general) can be, I'd say we're a good bunch overall (based on my experiences).

Wasn't there a chant in the 80's about racial harmony?

On that subject, I love the MOTD FA Cup intro with our black supporters, they can make out we're yokels all they like, I'd say we're more progressive than a lot of clubs.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 10:46]

I can only go by what others tell me, but Town have always had a proper good black following, and I love that.

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:00 - Apr 7 with 4370 viewsRozz

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:45 - Apr 7 by xrayspecs

Like a lot of clubs, we did not always cover ourselves in glory in the 70s/80s but I think Town fans have moved with the times and the occasional dickhead comment apart, it is not something you hear when following Town.

While explicit racism exists to some degree in football, I am not sure it is as bad as it was in years gone by. What has changed is footballers/media calling it out, which is a good thing.

*Edit: I've never heard anything I'd consider explicitly racist following Town, and long may it continue.

The way racism manifests itself has changed though. I totally agree that incidents at the game are thankfully now a rare occurrence, but the torrent of online abuse (not only racist) is a huge and IMO growing problem in football. See comments on Salah below.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2019 10:02]
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:02 - Apr 7 with 4361 viewsSomethingBlue

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:40 - Apr 7 by SomethingBlue

Not for years although the old boys behind me in Block M when I was a kid used to mutter some pretty awful stuff about, to name two, Samassi Abou and Finidi George that went far beyond criticism of the players' qualities.

Actually, now I've woken up properly I can't believe I forgot the time at Leicester — perhaps around 2006 — when the guy in front of me was giving it "You're just a town full of P6kis" from the start and not a single steward or other person around us was interested. Eventually I called him out on it, again with no support from anyone, and he briefly turned violent before his mates wrestled him off. Can't remember anything since then though, thankfully.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:07 - Apr 7 with 4327 viewsstrikalite

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 09:45 - Apr 7 by xrayspecs

Anything used to go agree, some pretty disgusting stuff, the Peter Shilton song as a kid still sticks in my mind sung by the North Stand, but absolutely anything went back then to unsettle a player....

But over the years nothing at all sticks in my mind regarding racist comments or songs though, certainly not in the last 10/15 years easily..
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:12 - Apr 7 with 4288 viewsgtsb

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:07 - Apr 7 by strikalite

Anything used to go agree, some pretty disgusting stuff, the Peter Shilton song as a kid still sticks in my mind sung by the North Stand, but absolutely anything went back then to unsettle a player....

But over the years nothing at all sticks in my mind regarding racist comments or songs though, certainly not in the last 10/15 years easily..

He shot, he cum
All over Tina's bum
Shiiiilllton
Shillllton
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:24 - Apr 7 with 4224 viewsclive_baker

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:12 - Apr 7 by gtsb

He shot, he cum
All over Tina's bum
Shiiiilllton
Shillllton

Wouldn’t say that’s too bad to be honest.

Beckham got worse.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:32 - Apr 7 with 4206 viewsstrikalite

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:12 - Apr 7 by gtsb

He shot, he cum
All over Tina's bum
Shiiiilllton
Shillllton

Have I then got it wrong when I thought this Tina was killed in a car crash and the North stand kept repeating "Tina Tina" through the game?
Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 10:37 - Apr 7 with 4187 viewsBluefish

Racism in football - Ipswich edition on 08:40 - Apr 7 by SomethingBlue

It is easier these days just to moan about black players, highlight their mistakes and call them lazy.

I do remember hearing the you BB chant at PR though in the 80s/early 90s

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024