Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? 12:21 - Apr 8 with 4077 viewsitfcjoe

Who do you WANT to go up, not who do you think will.

I'll go with Leeds. Their fans have sold out every away allocation for about 15 years outside the top flight and they are a massive club deserving of PL status. That and the Bielsa factor.

A couple of mates are Leeds fans and both good guys, my Father in Law is one also and at least means if I take him to a game for his birthday or something it will be a PL game rather than another poxy Championship game which I must have watched 500 of live in my life!

Sheffield United haven't had it as hard, and I always felt more of a dislike for them with the Warnock and Taricco days.

Were we rivals with Leeds in the 70s? Or did our great era foolow theirs rather than overlap?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:23 - Apr 8 with 3159 viewsPJH

I am past caring because I wanted them both to go up out the possibilities.

Leeds great era was from mid 60's to mid 70's so we were just about starting ours when theirs was coming to an end so only really overlapped for a couple of seasons.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:24 - Apr 8 with 3148 viewschicoazul

I hate Leeds marginally less than Sheff U, so them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:25 - Apr 8 with 3151 viewsITFC_Forever

I nearly posted a similar thing earlier.

Leeds I guess.... but it's not much of a choice.

No-one in football in general likes Leeds much, and they and their fans revel in the fact and play up to it.

But I can't stand the Blunts for all the reasons going back to the 90s.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 12:33]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:25 - Apr 8 with 3147 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think ANY club deserves to be in the Prem due to being a 'big club'.

However, I think the loyalty of their fans probably deserves reward.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Leeds every time between these two on 12:25 - Apr 8 with 3148 viewsDyland

BUT it will be very hard to stifle a big gmpf if they fook it up :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:26 - Apr 8 with 3125 viewsKieran_Knows

Leeds for the reasons you state above.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:28 - Apr 8 with 3125 viewsGuthrum

From my experience, Leeds is quite like Town in having a big diaspora of long-time fans all over the country, plus many who were attracted in the glory years and have retained their affection across several decades.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:37 - Apr 8 with 3059 viewsPecker

Leeds.
Login to get fewer ads

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:44 - Apr 8 with 3032 viewsSuperblue95

Sheffield United

Putting aside the history with them, they’re the latest proof that you don’t need to spend a tonne of money to compete in the championship. Also proof that a spell in League One doesn’t mean that good times are confined to the past

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:59 - Apr 8 with 2967 viewsPecker

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:44 - Apr 8 by Superblue95

Sheffield United

Putting aside the history with them, they’re the latest proof that you don’t need to spend a tonne of money to compete in the championship. Also proof that a spell in League One doesn’t mean that good times are confined to the past

Much like Leeds then.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:02 - Apr 8 with 2957 viewsSuperblue95

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 12:59 - Apr 8 by Pecker

Much like Leeds then.

I suspect Leeds have spent a fair bit more than Sheffield United have in recent seasons.

Though I could be wrong of course

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:10 - Apr 8 with 2937 viewsPecker

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:02 - Apr 8 by Superblue95

I suspect Leeds have spent a fair bit more than Sheffield United have in recent seasons.

Hardly in Derby territory though.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:16 - Apr 8 with 2919 viewsHerbivore

Sheffield United for me. They've built in the right way and the scum of the North stuff is over 20 years ago now. Leeds are just really dislikeable as a club so I'd like to see them blow it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:19 - Apr 8 with 2902 viewstextbackup

I’d like to see them fail on the last day and see how savage they are

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:34 - Apr 8 with 2844 viewsHerbivore

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:19 - Apr 8 by textbackup

I’d like to see them fail on the last day and see how savage they are

Ooh, will you fight them?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:35 - Apr 8 with 2840 viewsitfcjoe

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:02 - Apr 8 by Superblue95

They have far bigger revenues than most other Football League clubs, and are probably one of the better run clubs at this level because of that.

Think some people underestimate how big their fanbase is, being outside the PL for the last 15 seasons has stopped them from being seen as one of the big 7-8 clubs in the country

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:37 - Apr 8 with 2823 viewsPJH

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:35 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

They have far bigger revenues than most other Football League clubs, and are probably one of the better run clubs at this level because of that.

Think some people underestimate how big their fanbase is, being outside the PL for the last 15 seasons has stopped them from being seen as one of the big 7-8 clubs in the country

Leeds became a huge club in the Revie era and have been a huge club, whichever league they have been in, ever since and therefore are still a huge club.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:38 - Apr 8 with 2817 viewsITFC_Forever

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:35 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

Leeds seem to be well-run now... although they seem to have put all their eggs in a Bielsa-shaped basket this season, and were the epitome of a badly run club under Cellino, and Bates before that.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 13:42]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:39 - Apr 8 with 2812 viewsitfcjoe

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:37 - Apr 8 by PJH

Leeds became a huge club in the Revie era and have been a huge club, whichever league they have been in, ever since and therefore are still a huge club.

I just think that is forgotten about to an extent due to the behemoth that is the PL - a season or two back there and I think a lot of (younger?) fans would be amazed at the size of them

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:47 - Apr 8 with 2775 viewsPJH

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:39 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

I just think that is forgotten about to an extent due to the behemoth that is the PL - a season or two back there and I think a lot of (younger?) fans would be amazed at the size of them

I think so, I think what you said in your earlier post is correct that there are only about half a dozen clubs bigger than Leeds now and if and when they re-establish themselves in the top division there might not even be half a dozen bigger clubs.

They were a nothing club until Don Revie took over in the early 1960's but he turned them into the huge club that they are now.
He worked on a similar principle to the one that Paul Lambert is working on now in as much as they are/were "the only club in town" and he built from that.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:51 - Apr 8 with 2759 viewsitfcjoe

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:47 - Apr 8 by PJH

I think so, I think what you said in your earlier post is correct that there are only about half a dozen clubs bigger than Leeds now and if and when they re-establish themselves in the top division there might not even be half a dozen bigger clubs.

They were a nothing club until Don Revie took over in the early 1960's but he turned them into the huge club that they are now.
He worked on a similar principle to the one that Paul Lambert is working on now in as much as they are/were "the only club in town" and he built from that.

And Leeds is a much bigger 'one club town'!

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:57 - Apr 8 with 2732 viewsPJH

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 13:51 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

And Leeds is a much bigger 'one club town'!

They certainly are, ITFC can never be a "huge" club in that respect but the principle that PL is working on is similar to what Don Revie did-a lot of the truly great Leeds side of the early 1970's(Bremner,Gray, Lorimer etc)more or less grew up together from the mid 1960's.
Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 14:08 - Apr 8 with 2686 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I really like them both actually. So p1ssed that Norwich are basically up now.

If I had to choose one I will go with Leeds purely because I don't think they would win the Plays offs, but I think Sheff u would.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 14:37 - Apr 8 with 2609 viewsIllinoisblue

given the potential significance, have the club given Leeds a bigger allocation?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leeds or Sheffield united for 2nd place? on 14:46 - Apr 8 with 2586 viewschristiand

Both clubs would be good additions to the EPL especially with their support and styles of play. However, Leeds United still have that label as a 'big club' due to their history and I can see them being an exciting draw and with the club's infrastructure it will make sure that their stay is more long term than simply being a yo-yo club, if they make it of course!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024