Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies 15:28 - Apr 8 with 719 viewsSteve_M

It's worth reading, a lot reads across to Ipswich as well I think, and doesn't say much for the state of the nation after nine years of Tory rule:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/07/theresa-may-berks-bucks-th

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies on 18:02 - Apr 8 with 642 viewsfactual_blue

And then there's this - people appear to be happy to have a dictator.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/08/uk/hansard-strong-leader-brexit-poll-gbr-intl

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies on 18:30 - Apr 8 with 617 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well those 2 articles have cheered me up no end .

I don’t know whether I’m reading too much into it, but there seems a link between the two. The Guardian one is excellent. Harris talks about the Tories promoting market fundamentalism and backing away from active government under Thatcher. What we’re seeing now seems to be the consequences of that disinvestment (mentally and literally) in communities and what happens when market forces alone cannot provide for all. It’s no wonder people seek stronger leadership. Unfortunately they seem to be looking to the wrong places for that leadership (dictatorial-type characters like Trump & May and rise of the far right).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies on 19:21 - Apr 8 with 585 viewsRadlett_blue

Harris is a decent journalist, but I'm struggling to see what his real point is here. The face of Britain has changed in many ways over the last 20 years, some of which don't seem for the better, but many of the issues mentioned here are largely a function of external forces e.g. the huge growth of on-line shopping has decimated most high streets, while yes, housing in the South-East is very expensive, which has an adverse impact, especially on people with average incomes. That's largely a supply & demand issue & I don't see what the governments of the last 20 years are supposed to have done about the growth of the internet or the cost of housing. As far as the latter is concerned, they could have released more green belt land (but this would be criticised for putting profits in the hands of developers). However, some of the Tory policies have actually inflated the housing market (such as help to buy) and I always thought these were bad policies.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies on 19:46 - Apr 8 with 562 viewsericclacton

John Harris has gone and talked to people in Tory constituencies on 19:21 - Apr 8 by Radlett_blue

Harris is a decent journalist, but I'm struggling to see what his real point is here. The face of Britain has changed in many ways over the last 20 years, some of which don't seem for the better, but many of the issues mentioned here are largely a function of external forces e.g. the huge growth of on-line shopping has decimated most high streets, while yes, housing in the South-East is very expensive, which has an adverse impact, especially on people with average incomes. That's largely a supply & demand issue & I don't see what the governments of the last 20 years are supposed to have done about the growth of the internet or the cost of housing. As far as the latter is concerned, they could have released more green belt land (but this would be criticised for putting profits in the hands of developers). However, some of the Tory policies have actually inflated the housing market (such as help to buy) and I always thought these were bad policies.

Post of the day, cottage cheese is on it's way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024