Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leave on no deal or May's deal 22:02 - Apr 8 with 4127 viewsgazzer1999

So if there was to be a second referendum and the question was No Deal or Mrs May's Deal or rightly the EU's Deal. How would you vote?
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:06 - Apr 8 with 3069 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's the deal she negotiated with the EU but very much her deal. Very much the worst two options those. I doubt she would pit them against each other but if she did I would vote for her deal.

This would work much better as a poll than a thread if you are actually after an idea of what percentage on here would vote which way.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:08 - Apr 8 with 3067 viewsGuthrum

May's deal. No brainer - why turn down a transition period giving the chance to negotiate a future trade deal (plus visa waivers, right to residence for those already living abroad, etc.) with the EU, while still enjoying many of the existing arrangements until it's finalised?
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 22:08]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:13 - Apr 8 with 3030 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:08 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

May's deal. No brainer - why turn down a transition period giving the chance to negotiate a future trade deal (plus visa waivers, right to residence for those already living abroad, etc.) with the EU, while still enjoying many of the existing arrangements until it's finalised?

The biggest problem with her deal would be the Irish situation.

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:15 - Apr 8 with 3028 viewsgazzer1999

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:06 - Apr 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's the deal she negotiated with the EU but very much her deal. Very much the worst two options those. I doubt she would pit them against each other but if she did I would vote for her deal.

This would work much better as a poll than a thread if you are actually after an idea of what percentage on here would vote which way.

I am really interested in the comments people make.
I think Mrs May had very little to do with the deal, she had appointed negotiators working for her, it became clear after the EU had agreed with them she then put it to the cabinet and the press jumped on the bandwagon and called it her deal.
The Eu have said its the only deal they would agree to so I guess it is as much their deal as anyones, or of course their negotiators.
It will be interesting if they decide not to agree to an extension on Friday what will become of the boarder in Ireland. They say they do not want a boarder but the default option could be no deal and a hard boarder will have to be implemented.
And if Scotland then go for a leave vote from the UK and rejoin the EU, another boarder with England, strange what goes through peoples minds.
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:21 - Apr 8 with 3003 viewsGuthrum

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:13 - Apr 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

The biggest problem with her deal would be the Irish situation.

It's a Withdrawal Agreement (plus a bunch of broad aspirations), not a final deal. The border issue would be for negotiation and, in the event they can't manage that, there's a backstop ...

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:21 - Apr 8 with 3000 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:15 - Apr 8 by gazzer1999

I think Mrs May had very little to do with the deal, she had appointed negotiators working for her, it became clear after the EU had agreed with them she then put it to the cabinet and the press jumped on the bandwagon and called it her deal.
The Eu have said its the only deal they would agree to so I guess it is as much their deal as anyones, or of course their negotiators.
It will be interesting if they decide not to agree to an extension on Friday what will become of the boarder in Ireland. They say they do not want a boarder but the default option could be no deal and a hard boarder will have to be implemented.
And if Scotland then go for a leave vote from the UK and rejoin the EU, another boarder with England, strange what goes through peoples minds.

Has the EU said it is the only deal it would agree to?

If so, what is the point of her talking about compromise and talking to Corbyn?

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:24 - Apr 8 with 2998 viewsGuthrum

No, the EU hasn't said it's the only deal they'll agree to.

They've said it's the only one they are willing to do in the light of the UK's red lines (e.g. no customs border down the Irish Sea, no freedom of movement, no customs union). If those lines move or evaporate, the EU has stated it would be more than happy to renegotiate.

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:26 - Apr 8 with 2992 viewsgazzer1999

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:21 - Apr 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

Has the EU said it is the only deal it would agree to?

If so, what is the point of her talking about compromise and talking to Corbyn?

I think she wants Corbyn to compromise, doesn't sound as though she wants to give in on anything. Deep down Corbyn would do anything to come out, sounds like he is hostage to his members. Strange when you think back to the first referendum Labour very much wanted out, as they thought it was bad for workers, and the Tories wanted to remain as they thought they would get access to a lot of markets to sell goods. Seems like Labour got that one right.
Login to get fewer ads

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:28 - Apr 8 with 2988 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:26 - Apr 8 by gazzer1999

I think she wants Corbyn to compromise, doesn't sound as though she wants to give in on anything. Deep down Corbyn would do anything to come out, sounds like he is hostage to his members. Strange when you think back to the first referendum Labour very much wanted out, as they thought it was bad for workers, and the Tories wanted to remain as they thought they would get access to a lot of markets to sell goods. Seems like Labour got that one right.

Corbyn has been fairly clear that he wants to remain in the customs union has he not?

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:32 - Apr 8 with 2979 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:21 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

It's a Withdrawal Agreement (plus a bunch of broad aspirations), not a final deal. The border issue would be for negotiation and, in the event they can't manage that, there's a backstop ...

There isn't really a solution to it short of remaining in the customs union is there? Hence the backstop. The backstop is effectively putting the border in the Irish Sea isn't it? Which is why the DUP (nor more worryingly their paramilitary equivalents) cannot accept it. It is written as a backstop in an attempt to make it sound temporary and resolvable. If it were resolvable there would have been suggestions for acceptable solutions.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 22:33]

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 23:19 - Apr 8 with 2934 viewsGuthrum

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:32 - Apr 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

There isn't really a solution to it short of remaining in the customs union is there? Hence the backstop. The backstop is effectively putting the border in the Irish Sea isn't it? Which is why the DUP (nor more worryingly their paramilitary equivalents) cannot accept it. It is written as a backstop in an attempt to make it sound temporary and resolvable. If it were resolvable there would have been suggestions for acceptable solutions.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 22:33]

There are acceptable solutions - but all of them will need some sort of cooperative arrangement with the EU and the Republic as a mamber thereof - in other words, a deal.

Regarding a customs border in the Irish Sea, the DUP is willing enough to accept Northern Ireland's separate political, legal and policing arrangements. Why suddenly get fussy about customs? Unlike putting customs posts along a hard border with the South, it would not actually break the treaty upon which peace was founded. It would be considerably less disruptive to people's day-to-day lives (especially those who cross the border for work or farming).

That red line exists because the DUP are taking an ideological stand (playing to their hard-line supporters) and the Government are reliant on their votes to stay in power.

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 01:17 - Apr 9 with 2873 viewsFreddies_Ears

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 23:19 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

There are acceptable solutions - but all of them will need some sort of cooperative arrangement with the EU and the Republic as a mamber thereof - in other words, a deal.

Regarding a customs border in the Irish Sea, the DUP is willing enough to accept Northern Ireland's separate political, legal and policing arrangements. Why suddenly get fussy about customs? Unlike putting customs posts along a hard border with the South, it would not actually break the treaty upon which peace was founded. It would be considerably less disruptive to people's day-to-day lives (especially those who cross the border for work or farming).

That red line exists because the DUP are taking an ideological stand (playing to their hard-line supporters) and the Government are reliant on their votes to stay in power.

Customs Union isn't a magic bullet, unless you're also in the Single Market. Something that press and most politicians appear not to recognise.
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 07:52 - Apr 9 with 2687 viewsSteve_M

You do realise that the Irish backstop was a British request that the EU reluctantly agreed to extend to the whole of the UK don't you? And if you think No Deal is the end of trying to work out any future trade relationship with the EU then you are much mistaken.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 07:59 - Apr 9 with 2674 viewsfooters

Thanks.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:17 - Apr 9 with 2635 viewsNo9

First you tell us what your business is & how much you will make from either option
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:27 - Apr 9 with 2601 viewsStokieBlue

Where's remain?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:31 - Apr 9 with 2597 viewsNo9

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 07:52 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

You do realise that the Irish backstop was a British request that the EU reluctantly agreed to extend to the whole of the UK don't you? And if you think No Deal is the end of trying to work out any future trade relationship with the EU then you are much mistaken.

Totally correct but there is not enough 'fact' in the british media to inform people.

How many actuall understand the problems being a solo member of the WTO is going to bring ?
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:38 - Apr 9 with 2575 viewsGuthrum

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 01:17 - Apr 9 by Freddies_Ears

Customs Union isn't a magic bullet, unless you're also in the Single Market. Something that press and most politicians appear not to recognise.

Indeed. And the price of both is going to be freedom of movement in some form. In which case, what's the point of leaving at all?

When people try to talk of 'a customs union' rather than 'the Customs Union', all they really mean is some sort of very generous free trade deal.

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:39 - Apr 9 with 2575 viewsNo9

The EU has been very good for the UK worker
Better wages better T"s & C's
The last 40 years has been very good for me
I didn't stay here & suffer in the 80's

What is your business or work?
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:54 - Apr 9 with 2550 viewsGuthrum

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:31 - Apr 9 by No9

Totally correct but there is not enough 'fact' in the british media to inform people.

How many actuall understand the problems being a solo member of the WTO is going to bring ?

How many major trading nations are outside any kind of regional bloc or association (e.g. EU, APEC, NAFTA, SAFTA, CISFTA, ASEAN)?

on 10:01 - Apr 9 with 2539 views_

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 10:25 - Apr 9 with 2504 viewsNo9

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 09:54 - Apr 9 by Guthrum

How many major trading nations are outside any kind of regional bloc or association (e.g. EU, APEC, NAFTA, SAFTA, CISFTA, ASEAN)?

More important in my view is what price they would extract for any sort of trade deal?
As an example Wilbur Ross says the Uk can have a trade deal with America - on America's terms & conditions.
Leave on no deal or May's deal on 10:32 - Apr 9 with 2498 viewsGuthrum

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 10:25 - Apr 9 by No9

More important in my view is what price they would extract for any sort of trade deal?
As an example Wilbur Ross says the Uk can have a trade deal with America - on America's terms & conditions.

Which, if Trump's rhetoric on Canada, Mexico, China, etc., is anything to go by, would mean any deficit has to be on our side, not theirs.

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 10:32 - Apr 9 with 2497 viewshampstead_blue

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 22:08 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

Her deal is far from ideal, but is better than No Deal.
The backstop is a real worry.

I fear that Macron's eyes will turn blood red and try and bleed us dry. He's already hinted so much.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

on 10:33 - Apr 9 with 2493 views_

Leave on no deal or May's deal on 10:32 - Apr 9 by hampstead_blue

Her deal is far from ideal, but is better than No Deal.
The backstop is a real worry.

I fear that Macron's eyes will turn blood red and try and bleed us dry. He's already hinted so much.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024