Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Venice travel tips? 13:42 - Apr 9 with 1572 viewsMeenoITFC

Any decent bars? nice food? hidden gems?

Flying tomorrow, thanks.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Venice travel tips? on 13:55 - Apr 9 with 1547 viewsRadlett_blue

The Doge's Palace "Secret Itineraries" tour is well worth taking.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Venice travel tips? on 13:59 - Apr 9 with 1539 viewscaught-in-limbo

Most food places are a bit disappointing and many pasta/pizza places are owned and run by Bangladeshis.

I can't remember the places I went to on the main "island" but you've got a much better chance of finding a good eatery if you get away from the main canal and away from San Marco.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Venice travel tips? on 14:12 - Apr 9 with 1514 viewsSteve_M

Not a great deal as I only spent a couple of days there but walk around a bit, the backstreet (backcanal?) views are fascinating in their own way and obviously quieter than the main tourist areas.

I presume you know already know but the waterbuses are really straightforward and a good way to get a general impression of the city.

Oh and upstairs in the airport at the far north is a bar with good beer and a roof terrace (that was more useful in September than this time of year but you might have decent weather).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Venice travel tips? on 14:42 - Apr 9 with 1492 viewscaught-in-limbo

Venice travel tips? on 13:59 - Apr 9 by caught-in-limbo

Most food places are a bit disappointing and many pasta/pizza places are owned and run by Bangladeshis.

I can't remember the places I went to on the main "island" but you've got a much better chance of finding a good eatery if you get away from the main canal and away from San Marco.

There are night time trips down the Gran Canal but they are pricey. You can get the same views and almost the same experience by getting on the last vaporetto of the day.

You could also spend half a day visiting the islands of Murano (live glass blowing demos etc) and Burano (amazing coloured houses). Again, take the vaporetto to get around the islands.

The vaporetto tickets (multiple journey) expire after 24 hours, so it's worth planning how much use you can get out of them in the window you have. They're quite costly if you end up buying more than you have to.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Venice travel tips? on 16:20 - Apr 9 with 1427 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Best pizza: Isola d'Oro, right by the vaporetto stops on the Lido. (The restaurant itself is pretty grotty and cold and many people find Claudio's manner quite surly - but the pizza - and only the pizza - is divine.)

Overall favourite restaurant: Terverna San Trovasa (in the Dorsoduro).

Favourite bar: the Irish Pub (behind McDonalds).

If you can find the time (you'll need a whole day), take Vaporetto #12 from Fondamente Nove (or Murano Faro) to the islands of Mazzorbo, Burano and Torcello. There is a decent restaurant right by the Mazzorbo vaporetto stop; the Burano ones are fairly decent but expensive; the handful on the Torcello pathway are delightful.

For something different, we go the Gam Gam restaurant (just off the Ghetto) and the Orient Experience, both in Cannaregio.

And we like to breakfast at Osteria da Poggi.

If you're still there on Saturday, Venezia FC are playing at home (5pm) - we always watch any home games whilst there. Tickets are available at the Venezia Unica office in Piazzale Roma (take your passports with you).

Vaporetto travel is expensive if undertaken as separate journeys on separate tickets. It's best to pre-book a day/2-day/3-day/7-day travel card at https://www.veneziaunica.it/en/e-commerce/services and collect from a machine at the airport on arrival.

Enjoy yourself!

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Venice travel tips? on 16:32 - Apr 9 with 1412 viewsRadlett_blue

Venice travel tips? on 16:20 - Apr 9 by BasingstokeBlue

Best pizza: Isola d'Oro, right by the vaporetto stops on the Lido. (The restaurant itself is pretty grotty and cold and many people find Claudio's manner quite surly - but the pizza - and only the pizza - is divine.)

Overall favourite restaurant: Terverna San Trovasa (in the Dorsoduro).

Favourite bar: the Irish Pub (behind McDonalds).

If you can find the time (you'll need a whole day), take Vaporetto #12 from Fondamente Nove (or Murano Faro) to the islands of Mazzorbo, Burano and Torcello. There is a decent restaurant right by the Mazzorbo vaporetto stop; the Burano ones are fairly decent but expensive; the handful on the Torcello pathway are delightful.

For something different, we go the Gam Gam restaurant (just off the Ghetto) and the Orient Experience, both in Cannaregio.

And we like to breakfast at Osteria da Poggi.

If you're still there on Saturday, Venezia FC are playing at home (5pm) - we always watch any home games whilst there. Tickets are available at the Venezia Unica office in Piazzale Roma (take your passports with you).

Vaporetto travel is expensive if undertaken as separate journeys on separate tickets. It's best to pre-book a day/2-day/3-day/7-day travel card at https://www.veneziaunica.it/en/e-commerce/services and collect from a machine at the airport on arrival.

Enjoy yourself!

Venice has an Irish pub, behind a McDonalds?
I'm spluttering into my cappuccino.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Venice travel tips? on 16:41 - Apr 9 with 1400 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Venice travel tips? on 16:32 - Apr 9 by Radlett_blue

Venice has an Irish pub, behind a McDonalds?
I'm spluttering into my cappuccino.

Yeah - the pub isn't very Irish (serves a lot of continental craft beers/lagers) and the McDonalds is the result of the inevitable march of capitalism. Sigh.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Venice travel tips? on 16:56 - Apr 9 with 1384 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

The 3 days I spent in Venice last summer I had very little idea where I was and where I was heading, simply because the place is a complete Labyrinth.

Part of the charm is wandering around, getting lost and seeing some lesser walked parts of Venice. That said, I did make sure I went to the museum that was used in Indiana Jones and the Last crusade and spent some time in the opera (just a walk around tour whilst it was raining) which was quite interesting
Login to get fewer ads

Venice travel tips? on 20:56 - Apr 9 with 1330 viewsNo9

Harry's bar, historic & reputed to be where the bellini was invented
Look for small eateries in back streets family run places
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024