Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? 09:38 - Apr 10 with 4015 viewsITFC_Forever

(Edit: In our lifetime. No, not yours Factual).

Before Cameron decided to buy himself some cheap votes by saying we'd have the referendum, our membership of the EU was down the list of priorities for the public behind a whole range of other stuff.
Other than some racist loons and the UKIP mob who didn't like Eastern Europeans coming in and doing the jobs Brits wouldn't / couldn't do (and doing them to a much better standard), our membership of the EU wasn't really on anyone's agenda.

Now it's dominating every day. Not just on the news on tv, but on social media, on here etc.
I dare not mention the subject to my Dad, as he's goes off on one (and is on the other side of the argument), and people you'd previously considered ok are sharing some of the Brexit lies and propaganda on the likes of Facebook.

It's the one and only subject there seems to be at the moment and is dividing the country - a party political squabble has split the nation.

It's even worse than the years old debate as to those who oppose which is the correct way jam and cream should be applied in a cream tea. Everyone knows it's jam first, and cream on top. Only those weirdos from Devon think otherwise.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2019 11:02]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:39 - Apr 10 with 2002 viewsclive_baker

Keane or Jewell was up there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:40 - Apr 10 with 2000 viewsSteve_M

It's like Shefki versus Pablo on a national scale.

Less facetiously, no. An issue that much of the country didn't care about has been weaponised as the infighting within the Tory party has spread to a large part of the nation.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:50 - Apr 10 with 1969 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thatcher.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:51 - Apr 10 with 1971 viewsGeoffSentence

not so divisive as 'scone' or 'scone'

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:52 - Apr 10 with 1976 viewsfactual_blue

I think Catholicism v Protestantism in the 16th Century and King v Parliament in the 17th Century were just a bit more divisive.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 1966 viewsSouperJim

It actually scares me this illusion of democracy we have. The majority of the electorate basically believe whatever they are told by the press or the politician who shouts loudest.

We're sheep sleepwalking into oblivion at the whim of our Tory masters.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:58 - Apr 10 with 1951 viewsPinewoodblue

It is divisive because the majority of us have made up our minds and are frustrated because so many people have a different view. Hence the unnecessary insults.

You have to accept that the majority of those who voted differently to you did so for what they considered to be genuine reasons.

Cream first, jam on top and it doesn't make me a weirdo.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:59 - Apr 10 with 1943 viewsBlueBadger

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:52 - Apr 10 by factual_blue

I think Catholicism v Protestantism in the 16th Century and King v Parliament in the 17th Century were just a bit more divisive.

Yeah, but Oliver Cromwell would have NEVER bought Lee Martin.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:59 - Apr 10 with 1942 viewsGeoffSentence

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:55 - Apr 10 by SouperJim

It actually scares me this illusion of democracy we have. The majority of the electorate basically believe whatever they are told by the press or the politician who shouts loudest.

I don't think we are 'sleepwalking into oblivion', rather I think this is a clever ploy by our tory overlords whose main objection to Europe is that we pay more into it than we get out of it.

In a few years time we will be back in the EU but this time as net beneficiaries rather than contributors.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 1932 viewsfactual_blue

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:59 - Apr 10 by BlueBadger

Yeah, but Oliver Cromwell would have NEVER bought Lee Martin.

Although he did a great deal to cause the abiding difficulties in Ireland.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:01 - Apr 10 with 1934 viewsLeaky

It's tit's like you that make it divisive
Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:03 - Apr 10 with 1925 viewsfactual_blue

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:01 - Apr 10 by Leaky

It's hurling abuse at people who make valid points that makes it divisive.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:03 - Apr 10 with 1913 viewsGeoffSentence

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:01 - Apr 10 by Leaky

irony overload.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:06 - Apr 10 with 1910 viewsBlueBadger

*tits

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:08 - Apr 10 with 1900 viewsITFC_Forever

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:52 - Apr 10 by factual_blue

None of the rest of us can remember that though.

I suppose I should have caveated the original post with "in our lifetime".

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:08 - Apr 10 with 1896 viewsfactual_blue

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:06 - Apr 10 by BlueBadger

*tits

balls

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:10 - Apr 10 with 1889 viewsfactual_blue

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:08 - Apr 10 by ITFC_Forever

None of the rest of us can remember that though.

I suppose I should have caveated the original post with "in our lifetime".

Although the consequences of both are still with us.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2019 10:11]

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:15 - Apr 10 with 1875 viewscaught-in-limbo

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:55 - Apr 10 by SouperJim

"It actually scares me this illusion of democracy we have."

Well said!

The rich and powerful have always been able to use/abuse the masses at will. It matters little what political systems is in place.

It only works out well for the masses when they realise when they're being abused and act together to remove their leaders. But that does't happen very often.

The masses will always suffer if they allow their leaders to divide them.

Our democracy is an illusion and our leaders should be taken to task for it.

But our leaders fan the flames of division via the press/media.

Anybody who calls it out for what it is, gets branded a conspiracy theorist.

We love our free press. We love our glorious leaders.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:16 - Apr 10 with 1872 viewschicoazul

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 09:40 - Apr 10 by Steve_M

It's like Shefki versus Pablo on a national scale.

Less facetiously, no. An issue that much of the country didn't care about has been weaponised as the infighting within the Tory party has spread to a large part of the nation.

Exactly this. Hardly anyone knew or cared about the EU 5 or so years ago, now there are loads of experts everywhere.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:19 - Apr 10 with 1852 viewsBlueBadger

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:16 - Apr 10 by chicoazul

Exactly this. Hardly anyone knew or cared about the EU 5 or so years ago, now there are loads of experts everywhere.

Which is quite ironic, given that we voted to do away with experts.

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:27 - Apr 10 with 1825 viewsMattinLondon

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:08 - Apr 10 by factual_blue

balls

Arse
Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:31 - Apr 10 with 1820 viewsNo9

This is a tory problem that goes right back to the signing of the original documents by Ted Heath for which he got a bottle of ink chucked over him.

There is lttle rational argument coming from thise who want the UK to leave their point has now deteriorated into the parroting of "what about the 17.4 million people who voted to leave" and nothing else not even the fact that numbe ris a long way froom the whole country voting that way.

Those for staying in are essentially only voting for the status quo & in my experience that has not been in anyway bad the problems we have faced have come from right wing Westminster policies.

Until people realise leaving the EU,considering the present world economic climate, & Trump set on trade wars, it is dangerous thing to do.
Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:32 - Apr 10 with 1810 viewsfactual_blue

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:27 - Apr 10 by MattinLondon

Arse

Mornington Crescent

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:35 - Apr 10 with 1790 viewsNo9

Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:15 - Apr 10 by caught-in-limbo

"It actually scares me this illusion of democracy we have."

Well said!

The rich and powerful have always been able to use/abuse the masses at will. It matters little what political systems is in place.

It only works out well for the masses when they realise when they're being abused and act together to remove their leaders. But that does't happen very often.

The masses will always suffer if they allow their leaders to divide them.

Our democracy is an illusion and our leaders should be taken to task for it.

But our leaders fan the flames of division via the press/media.

Anybody who calls it out for what it is, gets branded a conspiracy theorist.

We love our free press. We love our glorious leaders.

As i agree with you I would point out that in modern times this would never happen if the Establishment didn't want it to.

It has been planned by the right since the '92 embarrassment the tories had to suffer because of their failed policies.
Has there ever been a more divisive subject in the country than Brexit? on 10:40 - Apr 10 with 1773 viewsBloomBlue

I think you find more people believe what they read on the internet then in the press and so much on the internet is fake it's unreal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024