Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First beer for a year, done. 16:13 - Apr 10 with 3827 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mallaig, Skye and Knoydart (where the most remote pub on the British mainland is) were stunning, as was the journey from Glasgow to Mallaig (5 and a half hour train heading north into the Scottish highlands). Breathtaking scenery, smooth waters, and the day we caught a ferry over to the pub was bathed in glorious sunshine. We actually sat outside and drank our first pints in deckchairs overlooking a glass-still loch.

Didn't think much of Glasgow (sorry Glassers), although we didn't see much of it.

My first drink was a local ale called Remoteness (appropriately) which was fairly weak (3.62% to ease myself in) followed by a Stella, then red wine with dinner and an expensive whisky after dinner. I could definitely feel it but wasn't hammered or anything like some suggested.

The pub was lovely, set in some incredibly scenery with a mountain behind it and as I said a loch out front. And the landlord was brilliant, interested in the story and happy to pose for photos.

An amazing trip and gutted it wasn't longer. I've literally never seen such stunning scenery. Many thanks to Stokers for the recommendation.

Interesting that after the aforementioned alcohol I wasn't fussed about having more but preferred to go for another walk. The old me would've been happier to sit there drinking. Guess I've got to a point where I can take it or leave it.

[Post edited 11 Apr 2019 14:56]

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

First beer for a year, done. on 16:27 - Apr 10 with 3107 viewsReuser_is_God

Stone me you've gone a year without drinking? What was this in aid of? Strange that you've not mentioned it before.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

First beer for a year, done. on 16:27 - Apr 10 with 3104 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A year? Why would you do that unless your an alcoholic. Just everything in moderation init
First beer for a year, done. on 16:30 - Apr 10 with 3097 viewsCoastalblue

Don't dismiss Glasgow, it has some great architecture though there is some truth in the saying Edinburgh for the pictures, Glasgow for the experience.

Glad you enjoyed and the trip sounds great, I may even consider trying it myself.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

First beer for a year, done. on 16:36 - Apr 10 with 3084 viewsWeWereZombies

You went a year without drinking and then opted for a lager rather than a beer! But for whatever reason it sounds like you enjoyed it so well done.

I have had a couple of beers (Isle of Skye Red) and a few glasses of wine since my accident four and a bit months ago but cannot say that my brain craves or enjoys alcohol anymore, still recovering I guess.

Interesting to hear your comments about the landlord at the Old Forge, I have been told the pub has gone downhill since he took over, become less of a haven to walkers and locals and more of a tourist haunt. Yet to make it there myself, thinking of easing myself back in the outdoor life with a little walk in the final fifty miles of the West Highland Way in a week or two if the weather stays clement.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

First beer for a year, done. on 16:39 - Apr 10 with 3068 viewschicoazul

Well done Jerseys, that sounds very nice.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

First beer for a year, done. on 17:27 - Apr 10 with 3013 viewsSarge

First beer for a year, done. on 16:36 - Apr 10 by WeWereZombies

You went a year without drinking and then opted for a lager rather than a beer! But for whatever reason it sounds like you enjoyed it so well done.

I have had a couple of beers (Isle of Skye Red) and a few glasses of wine since my accident four and a bit months ago but cannot say that my brain craves or enjoys alcohol anymore, still recovering I guess.

Interesting to hear your comments about the landlord at the Old Forge, I have been told the pub has gone downhill since he took over, become less of a haven to walkers and locals and more of a tourist haunt. Yet to make it there myself, thinking of easing myself back in the outdoor life with a little walk in the final fifty miles of the West Highland Way in a week or two if the weather stays clement.

Indeed, a nice warm pint of soapy ale would have been all the motivation needed for another year without.
First beer for a year, done. on 17:41 - Apr 10 with 2982 viewsGlasgowBlue

No need to apologise. I don't live in Glasgow. DulaturBlue didn't have the same ring, so went with Glasgow.

If you stepped out of Central station then you wouldn't have seen much. Would have been better to ask a taxi driver to take you to the Merchant City, which is where the best bars are.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

First beer for a year, done. on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 2979 viewsGlasgowBlue

Were you at the Wigan game? Had a brief chat with a bloke who lives in Scotland and enjoys his breaks to the Highlands.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

First beer for a year, done. on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 2994 viewsTIB

Knoydart aka Britain's last great wilderness!!! The ferry heading in on a clear day is like something out of Jurassic Park!!! I climbed a few of the mountains there about seven years back. Ladhar being a highlight as it was 27 degrees and ran out of water early evening still descending. Ended up making my own route aka sliding down onto an old stalkers path into a valley for some water. The view over Barrisdale was too good so I set up the tent for the night...woke up to a stag outside my tent in the morning. By the end of those three days I was ready for a beer. Outstanding area which I keep meaning to get back to. Enjoy lad

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

First beer for a year, done. on 17:48 - Apr 10 with 2985 viewsSpruceMoose

First beer for a year, done. on 16:27 - Apr 10 by Reuser_is_God

Stone me you've gone a year without drinking? What was this in aid of? Strange that you've not mentioned it before.

I don't get why people give Dolly stick for this when other people always mention the same old stuff. Makes a change from the relentless gambling and politics postings.

Sounds like a decent adventure up north to me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

First beer for a year, done. on 18:19 - Apr 10 with 2947 viewsconnorscontract

First beer for a year, done. on 16:30 - Apr 10 by Coastalblue

Don't dismiss Glasgow, it has some great architecture though there is some truth in the saying Edinburgh for the pictures, Glasgow for the experience.

Glad you enjoyed and the trip sounds great, I may even consider trying it myself.

The West End of Glasgow has some really impressive streets with huge terraces now no-doubt all converted into apartments.
First beer for a year, done. on 18:34 - Apr 10 with 2911 viewsGlasgowBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 18:19 - Apr 10 by connorscontract

The West End of Glasgow has some really impressive streets with huge terraces now no-doubt all converted into apartments.

The cobbled lanes off Byers road still have some fantastic bars and restaurants. Very bohemian around the west end.

Iron Lion Zion

First beer for a year, done. on 19:06 - Apr 10 with 2886 viewsWeWereZombies

First beer for a year, done. on 17:43 - Apr 10 by GlasgowBlue

Were you at the Wigan game? Had a brief chat with a bloke who lives in Scotland and enjoys his breaks to the Highlands.

Not me, I am on a boycott until we drop the betting shirt sponsorship and also quite difficult to get to games (or anywhere much) when your driving licence has been revoked.

I think the poster called gordon might live in Scotland, also reckon Darth Koont could too - don't know what gives me that idea.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

First beer for a year, done. on 14:55 - Apr 11 with 2762 viewsBrixtonBlue

Remoteness is described as a red ale and a "light amber ale with strong hoppy flavour." So not really a lager!

The landlord was brilliant and the food amazing. Not really sure what to say about it going downhill, it must've been amazing if it has. We loved it, and looking out over a loch in deckchairs while drinking was the best way to have a beer. It was magical, frankly.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

First beer for a year, done. on 15:00 - Apr 11 with 2753 viewsBrixtonBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 17:41 - Apr 10 by GlasgowBlue

No need to apologise. I don't live in Glasgow. DulaturBlue didn't have the same ring, so went with Glasgow.

If you stepped out of Central station then you wouldn't have seen much. Would have been better to ask a taxi driver to take you to the Merchant City, which is where the best bars are.

We were at Queen Street station but had several hours to kill so did walk a fair distance. Not sure if that included the Merchant City. Went in the modern art gallery, but apart from that just decided to wander. Have to say the bar staff were very friendly/chatty wherever we went.

First beer for a year, done. on 15:02 - Apr 11 with 2747 viewsBrixtonBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 17:43 - Apr 10 by TIB

Knoydart aka Britain's last great wilderness!!! The ferry heading in on a clear day is like something out of Jurassic Park!!! I climbed a few of the mountains there about seven years back. Ladhar being a highlight as it was 27 degrees and ran out of water early evening still descending. Ended up making my own route aka sliding down onto an old stalkers path into a valley for some water. The view over Barrisdale was too good so I set up the tent for the night...woke up to a stag outside my tent in the morning. By the end of those three days I was ready for a beer. Outstanding area which I keep meaning to get back to. Enjoy lad

Yeah my GF kept saying it was like something out of a Disney movie. I felt it was like a Harry Potter movie in some places and Lord Of The Rings in others.

First beer for a year, done. on 15:04 - Apr 11 with 2741 viewsBrixtonBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 17:48 - Apr 10 by SpruceMoose

I don't get why people give Dolly stick for this when other people always mention the same old stuff. Makes a change from the relentless gambling and politics postings.

Sounds like a decent adventure up north to me.

Cheers Sprucers. Yeah it was a lot of fun.

First beer for a year, done. on 15:08 - Apr 11 with 2731 viewsBrixtonBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 16:27 - Apr 10 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A year? Why would you do that unless your an alcoholic. Just everything in moderation init

It was a challenge (and something to write about). You don't have to be an alcoholic to decide to take some time off booze.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2019 15:08]

gmpf on 15:14 - Apr 11 with 2713 viewsDyland

"My first drink was a local ale called Remoteness (appropriately) which was fairly weak (3.62% to ease myself in)..."

Okay, okay, I wonder what's next.

"... followed by a Stella."

:)x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

gmpf on 15:23 - Apr 11 with 2686 viewsBrixtonBlue

gmpf on 15:14 - Apr 11 by Dyland

"My first drink was a local ale called Remoteness (appropriately) which was fairly weak (3.62% to ease myself in)..."

Okay, okay, I wonder what's next.

"... followed by a Stella."

:)x

Wasn't a huge choice unfortunately, and I fancied something a little stronger than 3.62%! Stella wouldn't normally be my go to!

gmpf on 15:58 - Apr 11 with 2641 viewsjeera

gmpf on 15:23 - Apr 11 by BrixtonBlue

Wasn't a huge choice unfortunately, and I fancied something a little stronger than 3.62%! Stella wouldn't normally be my go to!

Closely followed by wine and then whiskey!

Nothing like easing your way back in.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

sh1t pub mate on 15:59 - Apr 11 with 2636 viewsDyland

gmpf on 15:23 - Apr 11 by BrixtonBlue

(runs away)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

First beer for a year, done. on 16:44 - Apr 11 with 2586 viewsBenters2

First beer for a year, done. on 16:27 - Apr 10 by Reuser_is_God

lol.
First beer for a year, done. on 17:12 - Apr 11 with 2556 viewsPJH

First beer for a year, done. on 17:41 - Apr 10 by GlasgowBlue

Despite all of my visits to Scotland (four more booked)I had never heard of Dulatur so I googled it-if it is the place near Cumbernauld Wiki spells it with two "l's".

I suppose Glasgow is near enough.
First beer for a year, done. on 17:20 - Apr 11 with 2547 viewsBrixtonBlue

First beer for a year, done. on 16:44 - Apr 11 by Benters2

lol.

Why would you down-arrow the OP Benters? Something offends you in there?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024