Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now 12:55 - Apr 11 with 1313 viewschicoazul

selling his book. He just said that, paraphrasing, "grammar schools are terrible for society and nobody seriously would argue otherwise".

Would you like to guess where Stig went to school?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 12:57 - Apr 11 with 1302 viewschicoazul

He also, in the next breath, said "grammar schools are better".

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:29 - Apr 11 with 1251 viewsSteve_M

Stig also frequently complains about the right-wing press in this country and reactionary politicians. He is also the former Managing Editor of The Sun.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:30 - Apr 11 with 1249 viewsClapham_Junction

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 12:57 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

He also, in the next breath, said "grammar schools are better".

I don't really see the problem here, as it wasn't really his choice where he went to school.

It does wind me up when you hear politicians making accusations of hypocrisy when someone who attended one calls for grammar/private schools to be abolished.

Actual hypocrisy is calling for them to be abolished, but still sending your own kids to them, à la Diane Abbott.
Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:37 - Apr 11 with 1231 viewschicoazul

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:30 - Apr 11 by Clapham_Junction

I don't really see the problem here, as it wasn't really his choice where he went to school.

It does wind me up when you hear politicians making accusations of hypocrisy when someone who attended one calls for grammar/private schools to be abolished.

Actual hypocrisy is calling for them to be abolished, but still sending your own kids to them, à la Diane Abbott.

that is of course a very fair comment, and I agree. I just find it fascinating that so many grammar school kids want to pull the ladder up after themselves.

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:37 - Apr 11 with 1228 viewschicoazul

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 13:29 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

Stig also frequently complains about the right-wing press in this country and reactionary politicians. He is also the former Managing Editor of The Sun.

Ha!

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:02 - Apr 11 with 1200 viewsvapour_trail

Grammar schools are detrimental to kids in the comps in the areas where they are prevalent. Demonstrably.

They are better than the comps in the areas where they are prevalent. Demonstrably.

Not sure where he went to school as an 11 year old should render his opinion subject to your post.

It’s people like me who are the hypocrites, I send my eldest to a grammar and will do with the younger one should he pass the test, because they’re a superior educational product. But they’re inequitable for society more broadly.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:02 - Apr 11 with 1198 viewschicoazul

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:02 - Apr 11 by vapour_trail

Grammar schools are detrimental to kids in the comps in the areas where they are prevalent. Demonstrably.

They are better than the comps in the areas where they are prevalent. Demonstrably.

Not sure where he went to school as an 11 year old should render his opinion subject to your post.

It’s people like me who are the hypocrites, I send my eldest to a grammar and will do with the younger one should he pass the test, because they’re a superior educational product. But they’re inequitable for society more broadly.

A wise man.

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:14 - Apr 11 with 1182 viewsXYZ

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:02 - Apr 11 by vapour_trail

This is a fascinating conundrum.

Should one/ you/ Abbott deliberately disadvantage your own kid in the real-world decisions you have to make on their behalf to validate your views of an "ideal" system that doesn't (yet) exist.

The genes win every time. Unless Dad or Mum (usually Dad) is a narcissistic psychopath.
Login to get fewer ads

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 15:07 - Apr 11 with 1143 viewsNo9

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 14:02 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

A wise man.

But why do you wish to divide society by determining who is 'superior' at 11 ?
Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 15:18 - Apr 11 with 1130 viewsGeoffSentence

Stig Abell is on the Politics show right now on 15:07 - Apr 11 by No9

But why do you wish to divide society by determining who is 'superior' at 11 ?

And at a more personal level, why would you want to split friends up at that age.

I went to a grammar school but even at age 12 (we went a bit later from middle school) I was fully aware I was getting a much better education than my buddies who were sent to the secondary school, and worse than that as we went to different schools, I very quickly drifted apart from my mates from middle school.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024