Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What we learned from last night for next season. 17:51 - Apr 11 with 5678 viewsMrTown

First of all, hope everybody has calmed down now, I have myself.

- Squad full of kids will get us nowhere in League 1, must invest in some experience.
- Expirience throughout the squad is not enough. (Chalobah, Downes, Bishop, Dozzell starring, Nydam and Mizouni subs) - this was because Skuse and Nolan we’re out, should have more expirience than that.
- We have to become more slick in the attack, the space between players is too much, when Brentford attack they’re 10 yards away from each other playing one touch football (ripped us a new one).
- The transfers have ruined this club for the foreseeable, lack of real quality is frightening, Judge the expcetion, not enough quality on the pitch last night.
- Finally, Brentford is a model of how we should run a football club. Everything about it.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What we learned from last night for next season. on 17:52 - Apr 11 with 4600 viewsIllinoisblue

the Brentford model includes having no academy. Should we follow suit?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What we learned from last night for next season. on 17:57 - Apr 11 with 4582 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 17:52 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

No that’s the Ipswich roots, but we can learn a lot from Brentford. Financially a v well run club, recruitment is almost impeccable, the standard of football is brilliant, the management recruitment seems to work consistently - (Warburton,Smith,Frank), moving to a nice new ground, front foot football.

Club on the up.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:03 - Apr 11 with 4564 viewsSwansea_Blue

What we learned from last night for next season. on 17:52 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

Bloom asked the same question earlier on and got downvoted for it. I don’t know why as it seems a reasonable question to ask imo. It’d be interesting to see if it’s paying for itself. I get the feeling it isn’t, but don’t know the figures. It certainly isn’t delivering into the first team - we’ve got potential there, but when was the last time an academy player really made a difference to the first team?

On Brentford, I don’t think it’s necessarily their ‘model’ that works, more a case of them getting the key decisions right. They’ve been able to lose players snd managers and replace with success. We lose a manager or key player and it’s anyones guess what happens next. Maybe I’m contradicting myself - maybe that is because they have a clear vision of what they want to be and we don’t. But I don’t think they’re doing anything special. Besides, they’re not that successful - competing for 15th isn’t exactly pulling up trees (as we should know).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:09 - Apr 11 with 4549 viewsblueislander

There seems to be a perceived wisdom that it is essential to have experienced players in the team , even at the expense of talent. I would question this. Some of our so-called kids are not that young. If they are good enough, and I happen to think they are, they will get us out of League 1.
What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:10 - Apr 11 with 4538 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:03 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

Bloom asked the same question earlier on and got downvoted for it. I don’t know why as it seems a reasonable question to ask imo. It’d be interesting to see if it’s paying for itself. I get the feeling it isn’t, but don’t know the figures. It certainly isn’t delivering into the first team - we’ve got potential there, but when was the last time an academy player really made a difference to the first team?

On Brentford, I don’t think it’s necessarily their ‘model’ that works, more a case of them getting the key decisions right. They’ve been able to lose players snd managers and replace with success. We lose a manager or key player and it’s anyones guess what happens next. Maybe I’m contradicting myself - maybe that is because they have a clear vision of what they want to be and we don’t. But I don’t think they’re doing anything special. Besides, they’re not that successful - competing for 15th isn’t exactly pulling up trees (as we should know).

Well they will certainly have principles in place in regards to recruitment, a lot of the players were v young, technically gifted, right price and a lot of room for development. Obviously have that connection with Denmark recruitment as well.

V well run club in my eyes, compared to the show of sh*t we’ve got going on at the moment it’s impeccable.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:32 - Apr 11 with 4473 viewsFtnfwest

A bit easier to do that when you’ve got half a dozen prem teams on your doorstep with youngsters below grade A to cherry pick
What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:39 - Apr 11 with 4439 viewsSteve_M

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:09 - Apr 11 by blueislander

There seems to be a perceived wisdom that it is essential to have experienced players in the team , even at the expense of talent. I would question this. Some of our so-called kids are not that young. If they are good enough, and I happen to think they are, they will get us out of League 1.

Well, it's almost like this season has shown what happens to a side without enough experience or quality.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:04 - Apr 11 with 4314 viewsHerbivore

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:03 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

We've got a ton of academy products in the first team squad currently. Nydam played regularly last season, Bishop is a regular when not injured. Dozzer would have made lots of appearances if not for missing the whole of last season. The fees we got for Knight and Flores in the summer will cover the bulk of the cost of running the academy this year.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:15 - Apr 11 with 4260 viewshadleighboyblue

What we learned from last night for next season. on 18:09 - Apr 11 by blueislander

This season our most experienced players Chambers and Skuse have been poor , just when we needed them to lead by example .

Both players have slowed up this season , Chambers is beaten by pace and Skuse is not influential enough and is now picking up injuries . Add to that Bart's dip in form .

Experience is fine , but that experience needs to influence games , not be a weak point .
What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:20 - Apr 11 with 4237 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:15 - Apr 11 by hadleighboyblue

This season our most experienced players Chambers and Skuse have been poor , just when we needed them to lead by example .

Both players have slowed up this season , Chambers is beaten by pace and Skuse is not influential enough and is now picking up injuries . Add to that Bart's dip in form .

Experience is fine , but that experience needs to influence games , not be a weak point .

Agree, time for then to be moved to the bench, both influential off the pitch, fine for covering, ok for adding experience in last 10 minutes to see out a game but not starters anymore.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:21 - Apr 11 with 4225 viewsMrTown

No not necessarily, if they are good enough they’ll play IF they’re strong enough.

Brentford’s squad is full of young talent, but they look like men out there and our players look like boys.

Terry Butcher said on the radio this morning, it was men against boys and it seriously looked that way.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:52 - Apr 11 with 4107 viewsBloomBlue

One of my oldest friends is a life long Brentford fan and has been a fans representative with the board on a couple of occasions, as he said again last night...

Brentford got fed up with developing youngsters and losing the best ones at 14, 15, etc to clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, ManC and getting no money for them, the cost they decided wasn't worth it. So they shutdown the youth system and took the £3m it saved them per year and spent it on improving their European scouting network.

But it still frustrates him their policy is get in cheap sell for a large profit, Brentford never expect to keep a player for more than 3 years, so after a year or so they get a replacement in and get them use to how they play. As he said, Watkins arrived as Maupay's replacement as Brentford even at the start of the season were getting ready to lose Maupay at the end of this season.

The conveyor belt works but he also blames it for the reason Brentford can never get over the line into automatic promotion it's the constant changing of players.
What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:54 - Apr 11 with 4096 viewsHerbivore

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:52 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

One of my oldest friends is a life long Brentford fan and has been a fans representative with the board on a couple of occasions, as he said again last night...

Brentford got fed up with developing youngsters and losing the best ones at 14, 15, etc to clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, ManC and getting no money for them, the cost they decided wasn't worth it. So they shutdown the youth system and took the £3m it saved them per year and spent it on improving their European scouting network.

But it still frustrates him their policy is get in cheap sell for a large profit, Brentford never expect to keep a player for more than 3 years, so after a year or so they get a replacement in and get them use to how they play. As he said, Watkins arrived as Maupay's replacement as Brentford even at the start of the season were getting ready to lose Maupay at the end of this season.

The conveyor belt works but he also blames it for the reason Brentford can never get over the line into automatic promotion it's the constant changing of players.

Maybe if they also had a top academy they'd be able to make that final push.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:54 - Apr 11 with 4096 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:52 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

Ahh European count network. If only ay, our European scouting network is defined by looking at Scotland.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:55 - Apr 11 with 4087 viewsBlueBadger

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:15 - Apr 11 by hadleighboyblue

Trouble is, our young players have been rubbish too.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:59 - Apr 11 with 4080 viewsmonty_radio

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:04 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

We've got a ton of academy products in the first team squad currently. Nydam played regularly last season, Bishop is a regular when not injured. Dozzer would have made lots of appearances if not for missing the whole of last season. The fees we got for Knight and Flores in the summer will cover the bulk of the cost of running the academy this year.

Yet still the answer to when an Academy player last made a real difference is Bishop, before injury. Don't get me wrong, I watch youth games often and have hopes for such as Mizouni, Ndaba, The long reach in age is a good community thing.

But still, and you have a point about the if-only-they-hadn't-got-injured troop, we haven't seen even a couple of stand-outs emerge as undroppables for many a moon.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2019 20:05]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:06 - Apr 11 with 4054 viewsRegencyBlue

We need some experience for next season.

Without it you get what happened to us at the start of this season, too many players not used to the level they are playing at. We’ve seen how that goes!
What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:11 - Apr 11 with 4013 viewsIllinoisblue

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:59 - Apr 11 by monty_radio

Yet still the answer to when an Academy player last made a real difference is Bishop, before injury. Don't get me wrong, I watch youth games often and have hopes for such as Mizouni, Ndaba, The long reach in age is a good community thing.

But still, and you have a point about the if-only-they-hadn't-got-injured troop, we haven't seen even a couple of stand-outs emerge as undroppables for many a moon.

well said. We hear so much hype about our youth but someone please wake me up when they've imposed themselves on a game, scored goals or even had a run in the team.

62 - 78 - 81

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:18 - Apr 11 with 3978 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 19:59 - Apr 11 by monty_radio

Have high hopes for Lanketser next season, just needs to work on his back problem, but I read up on the injury at its very common for young adults who are doing high intensity activity and I would the step up from 18's to 23's to first team just caught up with him.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:19 - Apr 11 with 3980 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We have loads of League 1 experience;

Bart
Emanuel
Chambo
Skuse
Edwards
Sears
Nsiala
Nolan
Harrison
Judge
Ward
Adeyemi (ok. Not likely to be fit)

Other lower league experience;

Downes
Lankester
Woolfy

Unlike this season, experience of the type of League / level we are playing in will not be in shorts supply next season.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:20 - Apr 11 with 3967 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:11 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

well said. We hear so much hype about our youth but someone please wake me up when they've imposed themselves on a game, scored goals or even had a run in the team.

Think that is being slightly harsh, this is the first crop in a long time that has come through the academy, but they're still young. Need to develop physically, comparison on Bishop and Dozzell (physically) just proves that.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:31 - Apr 11 with 3924 viewsHerbivore

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:11 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

Nydam had an extended run last season. Downes has been a regular this season.

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:45 - Apr 11 with 3872 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:06 - Apr 11 by RegencyBlue

We need some experience for next season.

Without it you get what happened to us at the start of this season, too many players not used to the level they are playing at. We’ve seen how that goes!

We've got loads of L1 experience.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:49 - Apr 11 with 3845 viewsIllinoisblue

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:20 - Apr 11 by MrTown

Think that is being slightly harsh, this is the first crop in a long time that has come through the academy, but they're still young. Need to develop physically, comparison on Bishop and Dozzell (physically) just proves that.

I will admit it's a bit harsh and truly, given the awful football of Mick's last year or so added to the turmoil of having 3 managers in a year, it's been hard for any players to really shine, let alone for the youths to stand out.

Lankester looked the one to really come in and make a difference - and I think he may be the best of the lot - but then of course fell victim to the ITFC injury curse.

62 - 78 - 81

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:51 - Apr 11 with 3840 viewsMrTown

What we learned from last night for next season. on 20:19 - Apr 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

We have loads of League 1 experience;

Bart
Emanuel
Chambo
Skuse
Edwards
Sears
Nsiala
Nolan
Harrison
Judge
Ward
Adeyemi (ok. Not likely to be fit)

Other lower league experience;

Downes
Lankester
Woolfy

Unlike this season, experience of the type of League / level we are playing in will not be in shorts supply next season.

Bart unlikely to remain.
Emannuel - certainly agree
Chambo - looking slower and slower as every game goes by.
Skuse -looking slower and slower every second that goes by - also picking up knocks all the time now.
Edwards - blowing hot and cold constantly
Sears - certainly has a role to play, won't be fit for first few months
Nsiala - fantastic then disastrous. Wouldn't have him as a first choice
Nolan - certainly agree, would be one of the first names on my team sheet.
Harrison - has done nothing, has been constantly unfit. Only 14th League 1 top scorer last year.
Judge - certainly agree, crucial.
Ward and Adeyemi - can't see them being here.

Constantly got players 'picking up knocks' left right and centre as well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024