Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms 13:37 - Apr 12 with 3639 viewstpsontour

Ipswich fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms
By Lewis Steele

Martin Dale has seen almost everything at Ipswich Town — glorious European nights under the guidance of Bobby Robson, league title challenges and FA Cup wins beneath Wembley's twin towers. But now he is about to witness something new: relegation to English football's third tier.

Ipswich will tumble into League One for the first time since 1957 on Saturday if they fail to beat Birmingham City at Portman Road. Their fate has looked inevitable for months — they are 14 points adrift of safety, with just four wins to their name all season — but that will not stop Dale, 64, shedding a tear when the worst is finally confirmed.

“Whenever the relegation happens of course I will have a tear in my eye," he told Telegraph Sport, just before the latest of Ipswich's 22 defeats this term — 2-0 at Brentford on Wednesday. "Even though I've known it was coming for months it'll still hit me.

“I've seen us competing at Wembley in FA Cup finals. Now our best hope is the Football League Trophy."

Wednesday represented Ipswich's season in microcosm — moments of competence interspersed with horrendous defensive mistakes that ultimately sealed the side's fate. There were still over 1,600 travelling fans there to see it — a remarkable tally for a side marooned at the bottom of the table — and they were in good voice, despite events on the field. At one stage, fans sang about "going to Shrews-bu-ry" to the tune of Que sera sera.

Paul Lambert, the Ipswich manager, is also looking ahead to next year. He used four academy graduates in his midfield at Griffin Park — with Teddy Bishop, Flynn Downes andAndre Dozzell, in particular, impressing — and the blooding of young talent, traditionally one of Ipswich's strengths, has provided a sliver of light amid the gloom.

“They will need streetwise players with them but you can’t stress enough their development,” Lambert said. “It’s really going to help them. They will learn from it and get better and better at it. They will become a really good side.

“There’s a lot of good things at the club. We've got some great players.”

It is not difficult to find sympathy for Lambert, who also experienced relegation with Stoke last season, and who has won just three of his 26 games in charge of Ipswich since taking over from Paul Hurst in November.

Sportsnight Desktop
Hurst arrived as one of English football's bright young coaching minds, and was supposed to be the antidote to the more prosaic football offered up by his predecessor Mick McCarthy. That football was enough to keep Ipswich safe but fans had turned long before his departure; surprisingly, few now consider that to be a mistake.

“Despite going down the atmosphere at the ground is the best it’s been in years," said another fan, Tash Arculeo. "I went when McCarthy was there and it was toxic.”

There are no guarantees that Ipswich will find League One much easier — as Sunderland will testify — but fans are relishing the prospect of watching some victories, at least.

“People are looking forward to it, weirdly," added Dale. "They may see us win a few games, and it’ll do us all some good in the long run."

Newsletter promotion - football nerd - inarticle
Tash's father, Mark, agreed. "I was angry until Christmas about the performances. Now I’m embracing League One. Most clubs do come back up but some go the other way. I don’t think we will be one of those. We may not win the league, we have to be realistic, but Ipswichshould be back in no time."

Lambert seems to have time, at least, and it was notable that there was no ire aimed at the Scot from the away contingent at Brentford. Instead, those fans preferred to focus their frustrations on the owner, Marcus Evans.

“We can’t rely on loan signings again — the owner pumps some money into the club," Dale added. "I just hope he sees what Ipswich means to us."

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 13:49 - Apr 12 with 3147 viewsVaughan8

"There are no guarantees that Ipswich will find League One much easier — as Sunderland will testify"

Lines like this seem silly to me...………… They were in the bottom 3 in the championship and are in the top 3 in League one. Therefore they have found League one easier than the Championship? Or am I missing something.....Whoosh? haha
Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 13:57 - Apr 12 with 3113 viewsrickw

A much more informed and balanced piece to what was in the Sun

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:00 - Apr 12 with 3101 viewsSteve_M

I'm not sure the fanbase is as happy-clappy as that. Getting relegated is sh1t, we'll have to deal with League 1 but it isn't something to look forward to.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

... and even that was far better than the Metro's effort on 14:00 - Apr 12 with 3096 viewsDyland

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 13:57 - Apr 12 by rickw

There'll be some footie fans in my office quoting almost verbatim from the Metro next week, no doubt.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:01 - Apr 12 with 3080 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:00 - Apr 12 by Steve_M

I'm not sure the fanbase is as happy-clappy as that. Getting relegated is sh1t, we'll have to deal with League 1 but it isn't something to look forward to.

I'm looking forward to League 1. ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:02 - Apr 12 with 3073 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 13:57 - Apr 12 by rickw

Agreed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:12 - Apr 12 with 3046 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:01 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm looking forward to League 1. ;-)

Merely because it's different?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:13 - Apr 12 with 3036 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:00 - Apr 12 by Steve_M

I'm struggling to understand why so many seem to think next year will be better, as if by some miracle we'll be pushing for promotion.

Nothing this year has indicated we will rip up League 1 next year and we still are not fully aware of how Evans will financially support Lambert.

Wary of next season is about as optimistic as I can be right now.

Login to get fewer ads

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:14 - Apr 12 with 3031 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:12 - Apr 12 by homer_123

Merely because it's different?

Mainly because we will hopefully be more competitive.

It will be different.

New grounds and new teams to play.

We will still play 46 matches of football, and we might win some.

Its not what we all wanted, but its the reality. We might as well try to enjoy it.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:16 - Apr 12 with 3023 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:13 - Apr 12 by homer_123

I'm struggling to understand why so many seem to think next year will be better, as if by some miracle we'll be pushing for promotion.

Nothing this year has indicated we will rip up League 1 next year and we still are not fully aware of how Evans will financially support Lambert.

Our problem this season;

A lack of championship experience and know how.

Our strength next season;

Loads of League one experience and know how.

IF we keep the majority of our team, it is likely (not a given) that we will be more competitive as it is a lower standard of football.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 14:16]

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:19 - Apr 12 with 3001 viewsWhymarkmariner

Can't say I looked at the Division One table before Saturdays games, but it was pointed out on Talksport that with a month to go it was possible for any of the teams from eighth downwards to be relegated. Quite a statistic. If true, unless we are just as bad or worse in Division One there's no reason we can't be a force to be reckoned with especially as PL will be able to put his mark on who stays and who goes. Could be an interesting pre season.
Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:23 - Apr 12 with 2980 viewshomer_123

Whilst no surprise to any regular visitor to home or away matches this season.

The fact that Lambert hasn't been able to address our inability to play football for anything other than short spells and nor has he managed to eradicate the stupid collective and individual errors is a genuine cause for concern.

Sure, this isn't 'his' squad but he was brought in, first and foremost, to stave off relegation. In that task he's failed completely.

He's the right manager but at the wrong time for us. Had we seen him here in the summer I am positive that we would not have let 45 goals walk out of the club and our recruitment process would have been different. Therefore I doubt we'd be where we are now.

I'm not sure, looking back, how feel Lambert would have been received after Mick though - less welcoming that under Hurst though, I think that is safe to say.

Lambert should not be immune to scrutiny, even at this juncture. He deserves the summer and an opportunity to build his team for League 1.

But, let us be honest here. It's League 1 - how depressing is that. It's been death by a thousand cuts. it is nothing to be proud of, or to look forward to. It's a disaster.

We needed change but we miss Mick. We've made a complete clusterf*ck of things since his departure. Mick showed that we could compete at this level on a shoestring of a budget. Hurst proved not up to the task, admitting as much himself - what's worse is that no one at the Club thought to question him gutting us so completely.

Off the field Lamberts appointment has brought a different feel and tone to the Club - which is great. We can feel it and I have no doubt we, as fans, feel closer to the Club than we have in a while.

But on the pitch, we are no more than marginally better than under Hurst. We play in spells, we are toothless and we make significant mistakes that are easily punished.

Ultimately, the cause of our predicament is Evans but nothing under Lamberts tenure on the pitch, so far, gives much hope for anything other a mid-table League 1 finish next year.

I hope I am wrong and we win the league.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:26 - Apr 12 with 2948 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:16 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Our problem this season;

A lack of championship experience and know how.

Our strength next season;

Loads of League one experience and know how.

IF we keep the majority of our team, it is likely (not a given) that we will be more competitive as it is a lower standard of football.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 14:16]

I understand that rationale Marshy, I do.

I struggle to see anything in the squad that suggest anything other than a mid-table finish next year.

On the pitch there is no belief or confidence. That doesn't just disappear at the start of next year. A couple of poor results and ..... well.....

I want to be optimistic...just struggling to be at the mo.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:29 - Apr 12 with 2932 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:19 - Apr 12 by Whymarkmariner

Can't say I looked at the Division One table before Saturdays games, but it was pointed out on Talksport that with a month to go it was possible for any of the teams from eighth downwards to be relegated. Quite a statistic. If true, unless we are just as bad or worse in Division One there's no reason we can't be a force to be reckoned with especially as PL will be able to put his mark on who stays and who goes. Could be an interesting pre season.

Arguably the most important pre-season in a very, very long time for us.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:30 - Apr 12 with 2925 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:26 - Apr 12 by homer_123

I understand that rationale Marshy, I do.

I struggle to see anything in the squad that suggest anything other than a mid-table finish next year.

On the pitch there is no belief or confidence. That doesn't just disappear at the start of next year. A couple of poor results and ..... well.....

I want to be optimistic...just struggling to be at the mo.

We have loads of League 1 experience;

Bart
Emanuel
Chambo
Skuse
Edwards
Sears
Nsiala
Nolan
Harrison
Judge
Ward
Adeyemi (ok. Not likely to be fit)

Other lower league experience;

Downes
Lankester
Woolfy

Unlike this season, experience of the type of League / level we are playing in will not be in shorts supply next season.

I think with PL having a pre-season with the players, and with our wealth of experience at that level, we will be a more confident side. And we should be. A couple of new signings will help.

Just think how rubbish Keifer Moore was in the Champ.... now he tears up League 1!!

If you are pessimistic and a glass half empty kind of guy, I probably cant help you. But your pessimism wont help you either. Worry about it IF it happens mate, dont worry about it now.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:31 - Apr 12 with 2913 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:29 - Apr 12 by homer_123

Arguably the most important pre-season in a very, very long time for us.

Second only to the summer of 2018 ;-)

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:33 - Apr 12 with 2900 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:23 - Apr 12 by homer_123

Whilst no surprise to any regular visitor to home or away matches this season.

The fact that Lambert hasn't been able to address our inability to play football for anything other than short spells and nor has he managed to eradicate the stupid collective and individual errors is a genuine cause for concern.

Sure, this isn't 'his' squad but he was brought in, first and foremost, to stave off relegation. In that task he's failed completely.

He's the right manager but at the wrong time for us. Had we seen him here in the summer I am positive that we would not have let 45 goals walk out of the club and our recruitment process would have been different. Therefore I doubt we'd be where we are now.

I'm not sure, looking back, how feel Lambert would have been received after Mick though - less welcoming that under Hurst though, I think that is safe to say.

Lambert should not be immune to scrutiny, even at this juncture. He deserves the summer and an opportunity to build his team for League 1.

But, let us be honest here. It's League 1 - how depressing is that. It's been death by a thousand cuts. it is nothing to be proud of, or to look forward to. It's a disaster.

We needed change but we miss Mick. We've made a complete clusterf*ck of things since his departure. Mick showed that we could compete at this level on a shoestring of a budget. Hurst proved not up to the task, admitting as much himself - what's worse is that no one at the Club thought to question him gutting us so completely.

Off the field Lamberts appointment has brought a different feel and tone to the Club - which is great. We can feel it and I have no doubt we, as fans, feel closer to the Club than we have in a while.

But on the pitch, we are no more than marginally better than under Hurst. We play in spells, we are toothless and we make significant mistakes that are easily punished.

Ultimately, the cause of our predicament is Evans but nothing under Lamberts tenure on the pitch, so far, gives much hope for anything other a mid-table League 1 finish next year.

I hope I am wrong and we win the league.

I feel for you man, I really do.

Embrace it, look forward to it..... and only wallow in pity (if you must) IF we do find ourselves in mid table.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:33 - Apr 12 with 2899 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:30 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

We have loads of League 1 experience;

Bart
Emanuel
Chambo
Skuse
Edwards
Sears
Nsiala
Nolan
Harrison
Judge
Ward
Adeyemi (ok. Not likely to be fit)

Other lower league experience;

Downes
Lankester
Woolfy

Unlike this season, experience of the type of League / level we are playing in will not be in shorts supply next season.

I think with PL having a pre-season with the players, and with our wealth of experience at that level, we will be a more confident side. And we should be. A couple of new signings will help.

Just think how rubbish Keifer Moore was in the Champ.... now he tears up League 1!!

If you are pessimistic and a glass half empty kind of guy, I probably cant help you. But your pessimism wont help you either. Worry about it IF it happens mate, dont worry about it now.

I'm a realist to be fair.

I'm glad you are optimistic - I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:34 - Apr 12 with 2895 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:31 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Second only to the summer of 2018 ;-)

Ha!

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:34 - Apr 12 with 2895 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:33 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I feel for you man, I really do.

Embrace it, look forward to it..... and only wallow in pity (if you must) IF we do find ourselves in mid table.

I don't have to like the fact we are in League 1 though! ;)

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:34 - Apr 12 with 2896 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:33 - Apr 12 by homer_123

I'm a realist to be fair.

I'm glad you are optimistic - I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm.

We don't know which one of us is a realist YET!!

We will find out next season. ;-)

Chin up.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:35 - Apr 12 with 2892 viewshomer_123

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:34 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

We don't know which one of us is a realist YET!!

We will find out next season. ;-)

Chin up.

Leaving work early, so chin is up! :)

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:35 - Apr 12 with 2891 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:34 - Apr 12 by homer_123

I don't have to like the fact we are in League 1 though! ;)

Its the reality, nothing you can do about it.

Embrace it. The more we embrace it, the more likely we are to only spend one season there.

If the fans and the players wallow in self pity.... it will be a longer stay.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:36 - Apr 12 with 2884 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:35 - Apr 12 by homer_123

Leaving work early, so chin is up! :)

Good man, have a beer.

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:38 - Apr 12 with 2871 viewsitfcjoe

Telegraph: ITFC fans ready to 'embrace League One' as historic relegation looms on 14:13 - Apr 12 by homer_123

Expecting us to do well in League 1 is hardly a leap, and we've won 4 games this season so not hard to be better

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024