Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. 20:21 - Apr 12 with 4750 viewsPJH

One of the hardest of the hard men that all teams had in the 1960's and 1970's when tackling was allowed and you could take man and ball in whichever order you chose.

R.I.P.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:25 - Apr 12 with 4744 viewsLord_Lucan

Shamefully taken to task by “The Man” after he took a penalty in a sort of pre match entertainment thing. He waddled up to the ball but was then questioned about his disability benefit.

RIP

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:29 - Apr 12 with 4714 viewsFtnfwest

RIP indeed, can you imagine him playing now? Would be sent off after 5 minutes each week
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:32 - Apr 12 with 4712 viewsPJH

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:25 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Shamefully taken to task by “The Man” after he took a penalty in a sort of pre match entertainment thing. He waddled up to the ball but was then questioned about his disability benefit.

RIP

I didn't know that before but just saw it on his Wiki page.

I saw him get one of his F.A. Cup Winners medals against Newcastle in 1974, a teenage Phil Thompson was also in that Liverpool team.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:34 - Apr 12 with 4695 viewsPJH

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:29 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

RIP indeed, can you imagine him playing now? Would be sent off after 5 minutes each week

Yes as would Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris and many more.
I think the ref's back then tended to allow you one "free hit" so the best idea was to crunch your opponent very early on which often meant he gave you no more trouble during that game.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:37 - Apr 12 with 4680 viewsLord_Lucan

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:32 - Apr 12 by PJH

I didn't know that before but just saw it on his Wiki page.

I saw him get one of his F.A. Cup Winners medals against Newcastle in 1974, a teenage Phil Thompson was also in that Liverpool team.

That’s the first final I really remember. I went to Wembley when Liverpool played Soton in the charity shield in 76??? I wouldn’t have thought he was still playing then.

I just read Keegans book and apparently Smith and Emlyn Hughes had a big bust up around 75 and never spoke again.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:41 - Apr 12 with 4671 viewsFtnfwest

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:34 - Apr 12 by PJH

I think the ref's back then tended to allow you one "free hit" so the best idea was to crunch your opponent very early on which often meant he gave you no more trouble during that game.

I think that went on up to Stuart Pearce, seem to remember he was one of the last to regularly get his challenge in early!
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:42 - Apr 12 with 4676 viewstampa_bay

He was good friends with the owner of a bar that I used to go to in the Tampa area. He was visiting during the '98 World Cup and I watched the Argentina game with him. Thoroughly nice bloke. Amusingly, he absolutely hated Emlyn Hughes. He said everyone called him Thrush 'cause he was an irritating c-unt!
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:46 - Apr 12 with 4647 viewsPJH

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:37 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

That’s the first final I really remember. I went to Wembley when Liverpool played Soton in the charity shield in 76??? I wouldn’t have thought he was still playing then.

I just read Keegans book and apparently Smith and Emlyn Hughes had a big bust up around 75 and never spoke again.

Yes, I also just learnt about the Hughes-Smith bust up from Tommy Smith's Wiki page.

That Charity Shield would have been 1976 as Southampton won the 1975/76 F.A. Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:48 - Apr 12 with 4646 viewsLord_Lucan

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:42 - Apr 12 by tampa_bay

He was good friends with the owner of a bar that I used to go to in the Tampa area. He was visiting during the '98 World Cup and I watched the Argentina game with him. Thoroughly nice bloke. Amusingly, he absolutely hated Emlyn Hughes. He said everyone called him Thrush 'cause he was an irritating c-unt!

It stemmed from Hughes saying to either Shankly or Paisley that Smith should go to right back - or something like that. Smith refused to go to Hughes funeral.

How many years will the populace of Liverpool be mourning over this one? 🤔

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:49 - Apr 12 with 4627 viewsPJH

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:41 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

I think that went on up to Stuart Pearce, seem to remember he was one of the last to regularly get his challenge in early!

Yes, Pearce was probably just about the last of that sort of player partly because of law changes that outlawed the sort of tackles that went on throughout every 90 minutes of every game back then.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:49 - Apr 12 with 4620 viewsGlasgowBlue

A proper chap. R.I.P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 21:19 - Apr 12 with 4567 viewsronnyd

R.I.P. to a true hard honest player. Not like the bunch of snowflake actors that grace the Prem these days.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 06:54 - Apr 13 with 4358 viewsbrogansnose

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:34 - Apr 12 by PJH

Goodness me PJ, it really was a different game in those days and every team had an 'enforcer', and they really were hard men. There was a documentary some time ago which compared the refereeing between two cup finals. I can't remember what the modern era one was but the old one involved Bolton and what the players got away with was shocking, including a goalie being bulldozed into the net from a yard out whilst holding the ball for a goal to be given. Incredible stuff from where we are now, mind you plenty of poor refs still around.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 07:26 - Apr 13 with 4344 viewsSuperblue95

There’s only one Tommy Sm....ohh

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 09:01 - Apr 13 with 4262 viewsPJH

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 06:54 - Apr 13 by brogansnose

Goodness me PJ, it really was a different game in those days and every team had an 'enforcer', and they really were hard men. There was a documentary some time ago which compared the refereeing between two cup finals. I can't remember what the modern era one was but the old one involved Bolton and what the players got away with was shocking, including a goalie being bulldozed into the net from a yard out whilst holding the ball for a goal to be given. Incredible stuff from where we are now, mind you plenty of poor refs still around.

The Bolton one was 1958 and the first one that I saw on TV-at a friends house because we did not then have a TV.
Looking back football was quite brutal in the 1960's and 1970's and certainly very different to what it is now.
Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 09:05 - Apr 13 with 4255 viewsPendejo

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:37 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

Scored in the 1977 European Cup Final, I'm sure I saw him playing for Liverpool @ PR.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 09:40 - Apr 13 with 4222 viewscbower

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 09:01 - Apr 13 by PJH

The Bolton one was 1958 and the first one that I saw on TV-at a friends house because we did not then have a TV.
Looking back football was quite brutal in the 1960's and 1970's and certainly very different to what it is now.

At 13 in the early 80s I used to train with men in there 40s and 50s to try and get physically stronger. The group was run by one of my old man's work mates who lived nearby. His name was Derek Henning and he played for Bolton in that 1958 final. Whilst he was probably in his late 50s by then and a real gentleman, my old man said that nobody messed with Derek. If riled, he was still a genuine hard man even then.

bluescouser

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 10:21 - Apr 13 with 4184 viewsitfcjoe

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 20:25 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

RIP

Doesn’t sound like a great bloke, from his wiki

“In 1988, Smith caused controversy after stating in an interview with the author Dave Hill that Howard Gayle "suffered from a black man's attitude towards the white man. See, everybody thinks whites have an attitude towards blacks. In reality it's blacks who have a problem with the whites... I used to call Howard the 'White Ni*ger'. Now that is a compliment. It was the only way I could find to describe that I thought he was OK." Smith then went on to comment to Hill that "I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a ni*ger, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal."[36] Smith intended to sue Hill, but found he had no grounds to take legal action as Hill had recorded all of Smith's comments on tape during the interview.[37]”

He basically ruined that Gayles career at Liverpool through racism

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 10:36 - Apr 13 with 4159 viewsLord_Lucan

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 10:21 - Apr 13 by itfcjoe

“In 1988, Smith caused controversy after stating in an interview with the author Dave Hill that Howard Gayle "suffered from a black man's attitude towards the white man. See, everybody thinks whites have an attitude towards blacks. In reality it's blacks who have a problem with the whites... I used to call Howard the 'White Ni*ger'. Now that is a compliment. It was the only way I could find to describe that I thought he was OK." Smith then went on to comment to Hill that "I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a ni*ger, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal."[36] Smith intended to sue Hill, but found he had no grounds to take legal action as Hill had recorded all of Smith's comments on tape during the interview.[37]”

Blimey.

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 10:46 - Apr 13 with 4143 viewsGlasgowBlue

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 10:21 - Apr 13 by itfcjoe

Blimey. Completely indefensible comments.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith passed away today. on 19:15 - Apr 14 with 3952 viewsSeablu

I thought this was fairly common knowledge regarding Smith.
Utterly odious man.
Or a 'proper bloke' whatever way you look at it I suppose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024