Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formula One is just so pointless 08:51 - Apr 13 with 14904 viewschristiand

This just me? Why not give the the manufacturers the same model car and see who the best driver is. It’s Mercedes by a distance season on season... so dull.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 17:01]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:55 - Apr 13 with 8669 viewsJon_456

But Ferrari had the quicker car last year and still didn’t win.

And it’s like anything, teams with the most money tend to win. A bit like football..
Formula One is just so pointless on 08:58 - Apr 13 with 8656 viewsSamWhiteUK

It wouldn't be a team sport if everyone had the same car
Formula One is just so pointless on 09:03 - Apr 13 with 8641 viewschristiand

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:58 - Apr 13 by SamWhiteUK

I don’t think it is a ‘team’ sport, it’s all about the drivers. The manufacturers race is always secondary. Get everyone on an even playing field and let’s see who is the best driver.

Most races are a predictable, Sunday borefest.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2019 9:04]

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:11 - Apr 13 with 8620 viewsPendejo

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:58 - Apr 13 by SamWhiteUK

Not true. There are so many different types of motorsport, many of which involve "single series" championships [Renault, Marcos etc.] all of which have different teams including independents and works cars.

To OP - I understand where you are coming from, but F1 has helped bring technical advances that eventually make their way into standard cars.

And whilst not an F1 fan I have been to 2 British GP @ Silverstone, was paid to be there... the noise and atmosphere is fantastic. I stood by the Goodyear Bridge and rang a friends work phone knowing it would go to answerphone and recorded the sound of the cars going past and the echo from the bridge.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:13 - Apr 13 with 8608 viewsPendejo

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:55 - Apr 13 by Jon_456

And it’s like anything, teams with the most money tend to win. A bit like football..

A bit like life itself then... substitute teams for people / countries / companies

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:16 - Apr 13 with 8605 viewsGuthrum

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:11 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

Not true. There are so many different types of motorsport, many of which involve "single series" championships [Renault, Marcos etc.] all of which have different teams including independents and works cars.

To OP - I understand where you are coming from, but F1 has helped bring technical advances that eventually make their way into standard cars.

And whilst not an F1 fan I have been to 2 British GP @ Silverstone, was paid to be there... the noise and atmosphere is fantastic. I stood by the Goodyear Bridge and rang a friends work phone knowing it would go to answerphone and recorded the sound of the cars going past and the echo from the bridge.

Indeed, the competition in technical development is - and always has been - part of F1, on top of those in driver prowess and team effciency.

The issue is that technical progress has become so much a matter of fine tuning, involving expensive equipment and highly skilled personnel, that not all teams are able to afford it to the same level.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:24 - Apr 13 with 8584 viewsBasuco

For me it was when they made the front wings so ridiculously big that they can't over take, Lewis stated at Melbourne on the first race that cars need a 2.5 second delta to be able to over take, combined with restricting the number of engines and limited fuel, means we only get to see a lap or two of real flat out racing. Then it is fuel save, engine save and another dull race. I watched a race from the 1999 season and cars were racing on the ragged edge from start to finish, any mistake and a driver was able to overtake. Also there are far too many "pay for seat" drivers in F1 as well, I much prefer World Endurance Championship or Formula E racing these days.
Formula One is just so pointless on 09:25 - Apr 13 with 8581 viewsBinner

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:03 - Apr 13 by christiand

I don’t think it is a ‘team’ sport, it’s all about the drivers. The manufacturers race is always secondary. Get everyone on an even playing field and let’s see who is the best driver.

I don't find it boring but I'm sure I would if I ever watched it.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Login to get fewer ads

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:33 - Apr 13 with 8562 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:03 - Apr 13 by christiand

Nope you’ve got that a*se about face I’m afraid.

The fans pay more interest to the divers championship, but as a sport F1 is primarily a manufacturers competition, and always has been
[Post edited 13 Apr 2019 9:33]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:34 - Apr 13 with 8552 viewsEwan_Oozami

I watch Formula E - much more excitement!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Formula One is just so pointless on 10:30 - Apr 13 with 8480 viewsstrikalite

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:34 - Apr 13 by Ewan_Oozami

I watch Formula E - much more excitement!

Went to see that in London few years back, not the same without the roar of a V8, which is the trouble now with F1 for me, the sound was all part of it...
Formula One is just so pointless on 11:04 - Apr 13 with 8431 viewsfactual_blue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:11 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

Extreme taxi driving is my favourite.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Formula One is just so pointless on 11:06 - Apr 13 with 8425 viewsBenters2

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:55 - Apr 13 by Jon_456

You should have ended that by saying look at Derby.

I like formula 1.

Already there have been some decent races.
Formula One is just so pointless on 11:36 - Apr 13 with 8392 viewsStokieBlue

Ferrari was the quickest car for at least half of last season and was miles quicker in the last race.

By definition giving the manufacturers the same model cars means they are no longer manufacturers so it's a weird suggestion.

F1 isn't perfect by any means but this season the races have been enjoyable.

SB
[Post edited 13 Apr 2019 12:02]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Formula One is just so pointless on 11:41 - Apr 13 with 8384 viewsRyorry

Agree, and have been saying for years that it just seems environmentally unacceptable (though there are of course many, many other unnecessary things that charge could be levelled at, including travelling abroad for holidays).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Formula One is just so pointless on 12:01 - Apr 13 with 8356 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:24 - Apr 13 by Basuco

For me it was when they made the front wings so ridiculously big that they can't over take, Lewis stated at Melbourne on the first race that cars need a 2.5 second delta to be able to over take, combined with restricting the number of engines and limited fuel, means we only get to see a lap or two of real flat out racing. Then it is fuel save, engine save and another dull race. I watched a race from the 1999 season and cars were racing on the ragged edge from start to finish, any mistake and a driver was able to overtake. Also there are far too many "pay for seat" drivers in F1 as well, I much prefer World Endurance Championship or Formula E racing these days.

You're right and that's why the front wing rules have been changed this season to ensure the cars van follow and overtake.

Seems to be better thus far.

SB

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:42 - Apr 14 with 8175 viewschristiand

How exciting a Mercedes 1, 2 in the Chinese GP who'd have thought it?!

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:47 - Apr 14 with 8168 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:42 - Apr 14 by christiand

How exciting a Mercedes 1, 2 in the Chinese GP who'd have thought it?!

Nobody is making you watch it.

This race wasn't great, the last one was. Why not watch something you enjoy rather than moaning about stuff you don't?

Can be much fun to just focus on stuff you don't enjoy. Happens across all subjects now, people just prefer complaining about stuff.

SB
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 8:49]

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:32 - Apr 14 with 8119 viewschristiand

Formula One is just so pointless on 08:47 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

Nobody is making you watch it.

This race wasn't great, the last one was. Why not watch something you enjoy rather than moaning about stuff you don't?

Can be much fun to just focus on stuff you don't enjoy. Happens across all subjects now, people just prefer complaining about stuff.

SB
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 8:49]

I didn't watch it thankfully, had some important paint drying to watch.

Appreciate F1 is something you feel strongly about, but It's not moaning or complaining on my part, it's passing comment on a topic. Perhaps stop being so precious?

Wow, it's a forum didn't realise you could have contrasting views?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:37 - Apr 14 with 8098 viewslongtimefan

Formula One is just so pointless on 11:41 - Apr 13 by Ryorry

Agree, and have been saying for years that it just seems environmentally unacceptable (though there are of course many, many other unnecessary things that charge could be levelled at, including travelling abroad for holidays).

Or even travelling hundreds or thousands of miles a season to watch football
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 9:38]
Formula One is just so pointless on 12:44 - Apr 14 with 8020 viewssundaze

Formula One is just so pointless on 11:06 - Apr 13 by Benters2

You should have ended that by saying look at Derby.

I like formula 1.

Already there have been some decent races.

I also like F1, but today's race was rubbish, nothing to enjoy at all.
Just to cap a terrible time for me, I am a big Williams F1 fan, they are as just as bad this year as Town at football, already cut adrift from the rest.
Best motor sport to watch at the moment is Moto G P, although the last race in Argentina was an easy win for Marquez, but usually there are plenty of close racing incidents to enjoy through the field.
Formula One is just so pointless on 13:58 - Apr 14 with 7956 viewsFenboyBlue

It's just televised travelling. To make it interesting they should change the types of vehicle for every race. Eg. go-karts, mini metros, pedalos on a lake, range rovers, reliant robins, segways, tractors.
Formula One is just so pointless on 14:09 - Apr 14 with 7937 viewsCheltenham_Blue

As a point of order, this

"but F1 has helped bring technical advances that eventually make their way into standard cars."

Is not enjoyable, nor exciting unless you wa nk over technical bulletins.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Formula One is just so pointless on 14:37 - Apr 14 with 7908 viewsNo9

It isn't pointless as long as the FIA have the bottle to keep chnging the formula to ensure car and components continue to develop
Brakes, tyres, fuel consumption, road holding & handling are all progress achieved from F1
Formula One is just so pointless on 15:19 - Apr 14 with 7879 viewsstonojnr

Formula One is just so pointless on 14:37 - Apr 14 by No9

It isn't pointless as long as the FIA have the bottle to keep chnging the formula to ensure car and components continue to develop
Brakes, tyres, fuel consumption, road holding & handling are all progress achieved from F1

its more from World Endurance thesedays, they were in hybrid tech long before F1 & it seems to be alot more reliable and more manufacturers have got it working.

5 years into hybrid there should be no excuse for any F1 team to be suffering engine problems, yet Merc are the only ones, again.

F1 is the pursuit of spending hundreds of thousands of pounds sculpting millimetres of carbon that arent even visible in ultra 4k HD.

the era of F1 that was the most enjoyable was when aerodynamics were not the sole determinating factor, the cars were more closely matched, they could overtake without gimmicks, dial down aero, dial up ground effect, sort the engine regs so they arent in perma conserve fuel mode. people want to see flat out & close passing racing
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024