Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formula One is just so pointless 08:51 - Apr 13 with 14916 viewschristiand

This just me? Why not give the the manufacturers the same model car and see who the best driver is. It’s Mercedes by a distance season on season... so dull.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 17:01]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:37 - Apr 14 with 3761 viewsaceviljoen

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:19 - Apr 14 by stonojnr

its more from World Endurance thesedays, they were in hybrid tech long before F1 & it seems to be alot more reliable and more manufacturers have got it working.

5 years into hybrid there should be no excuse for any F1 team to be suffering engine problems, yet Merc are the only ones, again.

F1 is the pursuit of spending hundreds of thousands of pounds sculpting millimetres of carbon that arent even visible in ultra 4k HD.

the era of F1 that was the most enjoyable was when aerodynamics were not the sole determinating factor, the cars were more closely matched, they could overtake without gimmicks, dial down aero, dial up ground effect, sort the engine regs so they arent in perma conserve fuel mode. people want to see flat out & close passing racing

Motogp, WSBK,BSB, the only motorsport worth watching .
Formula One is just so pointless on 15:58 - Apr 14 with 3746 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:32 - Apr 14 by christiand

I didn't watch it thankfully, had some important paint drying to watch.

Appreciate F1 is something you feel strongly about, but It's not moaning or complaining on my part, it's passing comment on a topic. Perhaps stop being so precious?

Wow, it's a forum didn't realise you could have contrasting views?

I'm not precious about it, just highlighting the fact that you felt the need to post multiple whinging posts on a forum about something you didn't watch and clearly don't know much about.

It's a bit weird but unfortunately all too common now.

It's not even a view, the last post was just a glib moan. A view at least has some substance and supporting evidence.

SB
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 15:58]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Formula One is just so pointless on 17:48 - Apr 14 with 3713 viewschristiand

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:58 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

I'm not precious about it, just highlighting the fact that you felt the need to post multiple whinging posts on a forum about something you didn't watch and clearly don't know much about.

It's a bit weird but unfortunately all too common now.

It's not even a view, the last post was just a glib moan. A view at least has some substance and supporting evidence.

SB
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 15:58]

It’s more common when posters ‘whinge’ about people having a different opinion that doesn’t agree with their own, that’s persistently peevish. Think you need to look up the word whinging, clearly you don’t know the definition of the word.

The continued signing off of your posts with SB, now that’s precious!!
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 17:53]

Formula One is just so pointless on 16:13 - May 12 with 3586 viewschristiand

I see another scintillating race today, Mercedes 1, 2 yet again shocker, Mercedes' dominance is making it such a bore-fest of a sport!

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:24 - May 13 with 3510 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 16:13 - May 12 by christiand

I see another scintillating race today, Mercedes 1, 2 yet again shocker, Mercedes' dominance is making it such a bore-fest of a sport!

Given you've said you don't like it and don't watch it I'm not sure why you felt the need to bump this?

Did you complain when Federer won basically every match or when Bolt won every race for years? It's not ideal but it's up to the rest of them to catch up - Ferrari are hardly paupers.

SB

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:26 - May 13 with 3510 viewsNo9

It maynot be of interest yo you but it isn't pointless; many technical advances have come from racing = better brakes, better tyres, better bhp per fuel unit etc. etc.
Formula One is just so pointless on 09:46 - May 13 with 3499 viewsuefacup81

Make them tow caravans. That'll sort the men from the boys.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:50 - May 13 with 3495 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:46 - May 13 by uefacup81

Make them tow caravans. That'll sort the men from the boys.

The thing is nobody said Federer should place in lead shoes when he was thrashing everyone or Bolt should hop for the race.

The argument only ever seems to be applied to F1. It's strange.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:53 - May 13 with 3493 viewsWD19

For me the fix is simple. Forget little changes like tweaking wings to impact down force of following cars. Forget big changes like putting them all in the same car (which would kill the 'sport').

Just start every race in reverse order of the world championship points and enjoy the carnage. Only 'issue' would be the missing spectacle of qualifying so maybe give small championship points for a secondary qualifying 'race' the day before or something.
Formula One is just so pointless on 09:57 - May 13 with 3487 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:50 - May 13 by StokieBlue

The thing is nobody said Federer should place in lead shoes when he was thrashing everyone or Bolt should hop for the race.

The argument only ever seems to be applied to F1. It's strange.

SB

I’m not sure that was a serious suggestion... 🙂

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:58 - May 13 with 3487 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:53 - May 13 by WD19

For me the fix is simple. Forget little changes like tweaking wings to impact down force of following cars. Forget big changes like putting them all in the same car (which would kill the 'sport').

Just start every race in reverse order of the world championship points and enjoy the carnage. Only 'issue' would be the missing spectacle of qualifying so maybe give small championship points for a secondary qualifying 'race' the day before or something.

But why is F1 singled out?

By that logic the faster qualifier in the 400m should have to start in either lane 1 or lane 8 to equalise the final. It's just never done with anything else.

SB

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:58 - May 13 with 3485 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:57 - May 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m not sure that was a serious suggestion... 🙂

Not that one no :).

It's a general point.

SB

Formula One is just so pointless on 10:06 - May 13 with 3475 viewsWD19

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:58 - May 13 by StokieBlue

But why is F1 singled out?

By that logic the faster qualifier in the 400m should have to start in either lane 1 or lane 8 to equalise the final. It's just never done with anything else.

SB

Better horses are handicapped to make the racing more interesting.

Depends on whether you primary interest is the spectacle or the pure sporting achievement.
Formula One is just so pointless on 10:07 - May 13 with 3474 viewsStokieBlue

Formula One is just so pointless on 10:06 - May 13 by WD19

Better horses are handicapped to make the racing more interesting.

Depends on whether you primary interest is the spectacle or the pure sporting achievement.

That's a fair point with regards to horse racing.

SB

Formula One is just so pointless on 10:12 - May 13 with 3462 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:58 - May 13 by StokieBlue

Not that one no :).

It's a general point.

SB

I know, but your response did look funny given the suggestion you were replying too

From a spectator viewpoint there would definitely be merit in things like reversing the grid, but as you rightly say that rather goes against the competition side of the sport

Personally I think they should just water the track at random points in the race 🙂
[Post edited 13 May 2019 10:14]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Formula One is just so pointless on 10:16 - May 13 with 3453 viewsDarth_Koont

It's dull as feck.

I actually enjoyed the Netflix documentary and a chance to get into the personalities and rivalries involved. But the season starts and I lose interest as it becomes about the results.

Like sports and their fans who are obsessed by stats it all just seems to be too far along the obsessive spectrum to be a genuine sport.

Pronouns: He/Him

Formula One is just so pointless on 11:09 - May 13 with 3424 viewsThrobbe

I'm not a fan of F1 but the point is that it is the pinnacle of the sport, so manufacturers are pushing to make the cars better throughout the season. That's part of the attraction, but it does mean that sometimes a particular manufacturer gets ahead of the game and is totally dominant.

What you're suggesting is a lot like A1GP, which ran for a few years in the 2000's. The fact that I had to google to remember what it was called tells you how popular a high end single manufacturer race series would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:37 - May 22 with 3319 viewschristiand

Formula One is just so pointless on 09:24 - May 13 by StokieBlue

Given you've said you don't like it and don't watch it I'm not sure why you felt the need to bump this?

Did you complain when Federer won basically every match or when Bolt won every race for years? It's not ideal but it's up to the rest of them to catch up - Ferrari are hardly paupers.

SB

Using your example SB there were always competitors around to challenge Federer and beat him at times especially during his peak. Regarding F1 currently, there just isn’t anyone competing against Mercedes to create a contest. My point, was to emphasise the fact that it was a Mercedes 1,2 yet again. As a sporting spectacle that makes it a dull affair and not much of a sporting spectacle when the same car or drivers continue to dominate race after race, it’s just not healthy and if anything harmful to the sport. Surely, even you as a F1 fan can acknowledge that?!
[Post edited 22 May 2019 15:42]

Formula One is just so pointless on 16:07 - May 22 with 3296 viewsDeano69

Introduce reverse parking and hill starts, that will even things up a bit.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Formula One is just so pointless on 16:57 - May 22 with 3274 viewssundaze

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:37 - May 22 by christiand

Using your example SB there were always competitors around to challenge Federer and beat him at times especially during his peak. Regarding F1 currently, there just isn’t anyone competing against Mercedes to create a contest. My point, was to emphasise the fact that it was a Mercedes 1,2 yet again. As a sporting spectacle that makes it a dull affair and not much of a sporting spectacle when the same car or drivers continue to dominate race after race, it’s just not healthy and if anything harmful to the sport. Surely, even you as a F1 fan can acknowledge that?!

I am a big F1 fan and I agree with you. I still watch every race on tv, try to attend a couple of races each season, but it's more in hope than expectation.

I remember as a teenager in the late seventies, watching powerboat racing at Oulton Broad . This was the time of the JPS Lotus and at the same time JPS sponsored two local powerboat drivers and they would come to their local club and give all the fans a treat.

The only way they could make it a spectacle was to give them a timing handicap, slowest boats at the start of a ten lap? race, then gradually the other boats would come in. We still had to wait for the excitement of the two JPS boats joining the race nearly half way through but by the end of the race, they either won or lost by only a few seconds.

I would love to see just one F1 race where they would try this, with all the modern technology nowadays, it should be easy to get the timings right.
Formula One is just so pointless on 17:00 - May 22 with 3272 viewsJon_456

Formula One is just so pointless on 15:37 - May 22 by christiand

But the last two years Ferrari have had a car capable of beating Mercedes. The difference is that Mercedes have had Lewis Hamilton and solid team of engineers/mechanics.

The only reason Ferrari didn’t wan it last year was because Sebastian Vettel couldn’t cope with the pressure from Hamilton.

Admittedly this year Ferrari have been way off it, but that’s not Mercedes fault for being too good.

As others have said, if it’s that boring, why are you watching/commenting on it?
Formula One is just so pointless on 17:49 - May 22 with 3255 viewschristiand

Formula One is just so pointless on 17:00 - May 22 by Jon_456

But the last two years Ferrari have had a car capable of beating Mercedes. The difference is that Mercedes have had Lewis Hamilton and solid team of engineers/mechanics.

The only reason Ferrari didn’t wan it last year was because Sebastian Vettel couldn’t cope with the pressure from Hamilton.

Admittedly this year Ferrari have been way off it, but that’s not Mercedes fault for being too good.

As others have said, if it’s that boring, why are you watching/commenting on it?

I don't thankfully, but when a race is on it gets the coverage so feel compelled to comment as I'm a sports fan like all of us on this forum. If Mercedes continue to dominate the way they are, I have no doubt that the interest will begin to wane as it is becoming too predictable and you don't need to be a F1 enthusiast to recognise it.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 18:27]

Formula One is just so pointless on 17:50 - May 22 with 3252 viewsRadlett_blue

Formula One is just so pointless on 16:57 - May 22 by sundaze

I am a big F1 fan and I agree with you. I still watch every race on tv, try to attend a couple of races each season, but it's more in hope than expectation.

I remember as a teenager in the late seventies, watching powerboat racing at Oulton Broad . This was the time of the JPS Lotus and at the same time JPS sponsored two local powerboat drivers and they would come to their local club and give all the fans a treat.

The only way they could make it a spectacle was to give them a timing handicap, slowest boats at the start of a ten lap? race, then gradually the other boats would come in. We still had to wait for the excitement of the two JPS boats joining the race nearly half way through but by the end of the race, they either won or lost by only a few seconds.

I would love to see just one F1 race where they would try this, with all the modern technology nowadays, it should be easy to get the timings right.

I think F1 has completely lost its way as aerodynamics have become so important that no-one wants to drive close behind another car. Unless the new regulations (not coming in until 2021) change this significantly, it's going to keep losing viewers. One interesting possibility would to have TWO races on the Sunday, one a sprint race of, say, 20 laps with a random grid, followed by a longer race. However, the big teams wouldn't like this.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 17:51]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Formula One is just so pointless on 17:56 - May 22 with 3249 viewssundaze

Formula One is just so pointless on 17:49 - May 22 by christiand

I don't thankfully, but when a race is on it gets the coverage so feel compelled to comment as I'm a sports fan like all of us on this forum. If Mercedes continue to dominate the way they are, I have no doubt that the interest will begin to wane as it is becoming too predictable and you don't need to be a F1 enthusiast to recognise it.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 18:27]

To be fair, there have always been periods of dominance through the history of F1.
McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and Red Bull have all had a number of years when they were untouchable.
However now more than ever it is all about the money, much the same as football I guess.
Mercedes are spending £400 million per year , only Ferrari can get close to that figure.

New regulations in 2021, so all we can do is hope it makes it a more even field, if only for a season or two.
Formula One is just so pointless on 17:04 - Jun 23 with 3037 viewschristiand

Reading the articles on BBC Sport’s homepage, I noticed yet another 1,2 for Mercedes again today. What an exciting season this is for Formula One!! 🤥
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 17:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024