Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... 09:35 - Apr 14 with 3132 viewsmuccletonjoe

It will be the extra game time given to our young players.
Kenlock, Nydam , Wolfenden and Lankester are all very good footballers , and if they mature during next season, we will have a very good foundation for the even younger players we have coming up behind them in the under 18s.
It is the ONLY way forward for this football club now and something which should have been implemented years ago.
That it is not , is the most damning legacy Mick McCarthy has left for this club.
It's only a "good thing"...... on 09:38 - Apr 14 with 3102 viewsBloots

.....if they are a "good thing".

Just saying.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 09:45 - Apr 14 with 3085 viewslongtimefan

You mean the Manager who was in tenure when most of those players were recruited and brought into the first team and had the stats to show he gave more game time to young players than other teams in the Championship? MM can be accused of many things but if you think he didn’t give youth a chance then you must of been wearing blindfolds.
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 09:59 - Apr 14 with 3052 viewsFixed_It

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 09:45 - Apr 14 by longtimefan

You mean the Manager who was in tenure when most of those players were recruited and brought into the first team and had the stats to show he gave more game time to young players than other teams in the Championship? MM can be accused of many things but if you think he didn’t give youth a chance then you must of been wearing blindfolds.

I was a loyal supporter of MM (although by the end he had run his course here), and agree that he gave youngsters a chance. But you never got the feeling he would trust them, or give them time to establish themselves - preferring to revert to the tried and tested as soon as possible. This may well have been prudent at the time, but the OP is correct in that now is time to trust the youngsters and develop them at a level where they should be able to flouriah.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 10:16 - Apr 14 with 3019 viewsGeoffSentence

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 09:59 - Apr 14 by Fixed_It

I was a loyal supporter of MM (although by the end he had run his course here), and agree that he gave youngsters a chance. But you never got the feeling he would trust them, or give them time to establish themselves - preferring to revert to the tried and tested as soon as possible. This may well have been prudent at the time, but the OP is correct in that now is time to trust the youngsters and develop them at a level where they should be able to flouriah.

The average squad age in League One is a year and 4 months younger than in the Championship, so if they are going to have a chance to flourish anywhere it is in League 1.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB2/saison

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_i

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 10:33 - Apr 14 with 2978 viewspointofblue

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 09:45 - Apr 14 by longtimefan

You get the feeling Mick gave the youngsters a run out when he felt like it - he didn’t overly trust them, or perhaps he believed too much pressure would be put on them from the off and the crowd could turn; seeing the reaction to Dozzell and, a lesser extent Downes for which I’m partly responsible for in a fit of pique and apologise deeply) maybe he had a point.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 12:07 - Apr 14 with 2910 viewsmuccletonjoe

He never gave any of them a run in the team, most of them he played in cup matches which he didnt give a tosh about. I obviously have a longer memory than you, and can remember the midfield full of journeyman, while our own players never got a look in ( Douglas a prime example)
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 12:09 - Apr 14 with 2906 viewsDarth_Koont

Eh? It was implemented years ago and Mick played the kids too. That approach was utterly abandoned by Hurst.

Pronouns: He/Him

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 12:19 - Apr 14 with 2889 viewslongtimefan

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 12:07 - Apr 14 by muccletonjoe

He never gave any of them a run in the team, most of them he played in cup matches which he didnt give a tosh about. I obviously have a longer memory than you, and can remember the midfield full of journeyman, while our own players never got a look in ( Douglas a prime example)

Well I’d call playing in 25% of leagues matches a reasonable level of turnout for a young player. Since Kenlock has done that in both the two previous seasons and Nydam last season, maybe your memory isn’t as good as you think
Login to get fewer ads

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 13:57 - Apr 14 with 2836 viewsmuccletonjoe

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 12:19 - Apr 14 by longtimefan

Well I’d call playing in 25% of leagues matches a reasonable level of turnout for a young player. Since Kenlock has done that in both the two previous seasons and Nydam last season, maybe your memory isn’t as good as you think

Don't make me laugh 25% is what , ? About 10 games !!! Nydam was sub for 3 of those, so selective quotes to suit your very flawed argument. Very much like the manager you are trying to back up. - you are right all the time , except when you're wrong ( most of the time )
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 14:41 - Apr 14 with 2787 viewsNo9

& those who trusted MM must have been wearing blindfolds when the old favourites kept getting game time whether they played well or not?

The fact is that MM was gifted soem very good academy players
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 15:18 - Apr 14 with 2742 viewsDarth_Koont

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 13:57 - Apr 14 by muccletonjoe

Don't make me laugh 25% is what , ? About 10 games !!! Nydam was sub for 3 of those, so selective quotes to suit your very flawed argument. Very much like the manager you are trying to back up. - you are right all the time , except when you're wrong ( most of the time )

Eh? Nydam made 12 league starts for us last year and 2 in the league cup, with 6 league appearances off the bench. So about the same as 22-year-old Myles Kenlock this time around.

Downes has played more this year but he was given his chance (and starts) for us last season aged 18.

Josh Emmanuel has only just been given a chance in the last few weeks despite playing a fair bit for us over two seasons ago.

Bishop and Dozzell were given their chance by Mick and were selected when fit even as inexperienced teenagers because of their ability.

What am I missing here? Or, more accurately, what are you imagining?

FWIW I think it's great that Lambert clearly shares the same belief in the youngsters. Hurst not seeming to trust them and bringing in a whole team of 25 year-olds instead was a particularly backward step.

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 16:11 - Apr 14 with 2696 viewsmuccletonjoe

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 15:18 - Apr 14 by Darth_Koont

Eh? Nydam made 12 league starts for us last year and 2 in the league cup, with 6 league appearances off the bench. So about the same as 22-year-old Myles Kenlock this time around.

Downes has played more this year but he was given his chance (and starts) for us last season aged 18.

Josh Emmanuel has only just been given a chance in the last few weeks despite playing a fair bit for us over two seasons ago.

Bishop and Dozzell were given their chance by Mick and were selected when fit even as inexperienced teenagers because of their ability.

FWIW I think it's great that Lambert clearly shares the same belief in the youngsters. Hurst not seeming to trust them and bringing in a whole team of 25 year-olds instead was a particularly backward step.

Wikipedia is only as good as the info it recieves
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 18:24 - Apr 14 with 2637 viewsDarth_Koont

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 16:11 - Apr 14 by muccletonjoe

Wikipedia is only as good as the info it recieves

Indeed. That's why you should use Soccerbase that lists every single game they played in.

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 18:29 - Apr 14 with 2627 viewsGeoffSentence

To get away from the main point for a moment, why the emphasis on COME?

I think I would have gone with ANYTHING.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 21:39 - Apr 14 with 2561 viewslongtimefan

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 18:24 - Apr 14 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. That's why you should use Soccerbase that lists every single game they played in.

Or ITFC programmes, as that’s where my info came while the fantastic reference that is the Pride of Anglia site is out of action.
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 21:56 - Apr 14 with 2538 viewslongtimefan

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 14:41 - Apr 14 by No9

& those who trusted MM must have been wearing blindfolds when the old favourites kept getting game time whether they played well or not?

The fact is that MM was gifted soem very good academy players

“The fact is that MM was gifted soem very good academy players”

That’s true, and he was the one who put them in the first team.

“When the old favourites kept getting some game time”

Apart from Douglas who was a mistake, which players would that be? Chambers, Skuse? The ones that both Managers since have played pretty much whenever fit?
If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 22:28 - Apr 14 with 2488 viewsChocorange

If anything good can ever COME from relegation... on 15:18 - Apr 14 by Darth_Koont

I think you will find a number of the appearances made by young players including Kenlock and Nydam came after St.Mick left the club and Klug was in charge.

Downes made 3 starts under Mick before being shipped off to Luton and was mostly sitting on their bench after the first month of his spell.

The stats are skewed under Mick, for example the end of the previous season when we were safe is also when a lot of youngsters were given game time. Away to Rotherham which we lost to a team as poor as we are this season is one such example. Away to forest last game is another.

I would like to see out youngsters do well , but they seem overrated and the answer to all our woes by some harking back to yesteryear, the current crop are not in the same league as those.

Our youngsters are not generally snapped up on loan , and if they are rare
Y has it been a successful spell.. The last stand out before Wolfy being Rhodes to me. They also had game time in cups under Mick , and look what a disaster those were .

I think they are going to need help, we lack know how, apart from Judge and Quaner to a lesser extent ... Who else is in the refs ear, who else tries to win yes a dangerous free kick or pen? No one!

Has anyone noticed how before Xmas a lot of goals conceded came down our right and Spence got pilloried for it, now recently everything is down our left. Sheffield Wednesday home, Wigan away, Birmingham home, hull home . I hope Kenlock makes it but we have to cut out the individual errors or we won't get anywhere .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024