Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? 19:40 - Apr 14 with 1991 viewsWickwar_Blue

(Apparently we’ve been relegated to League 1 but, a bit like Brexit, I’m try to ignore it in the hope it all gets reversed somehow)

What’s your earliest TWTD memory?

I wrote to the paper fanzine in about 1994 extolling the virtues of Steve Sedgley. We paid £1m for him 25 years ago which illustrates how little our purchasing power has improved!
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:00 - Apr 14 with 1949 viewsMelford

I had a couple of cartoons that I drew published in the print version around the same time.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:16 - Apr 14 with 1930 viewsthebooks

Posting a rumour that Arsenal were interested in Richard Wright, I think. I'm pretty sure I used it in the last century, but that can't be right, can it?

It still looks the same as back then.

+1 for Steve Sedgley admiration. A sweeper, no less.

Don't worry about the relegation. We've found the real Ipswich again and everything is just brilliant.
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:21 - Apr 14 with 1918 viewsWickwar_Blue

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:16 - Apr 14 by thebooks

Posting a rumour that Arsenal were interested in Richard Wright, I think. I'm pretty sure I used it in the last century, but that can't be right, can it?

It still looks the same as back then.

+1 for Steve Sedgley admiration. A sweeper, no less.

Don't worry about the relegation. We've found the real Ipswich again and everything is just brilliant.

Thing is I seem to remember most people thought Sedgley was useless when we signed him in the Premiership. He then became quite effective in Division One.

I really, really hope you are right about getting our club back.
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:46 - Apr 14 with 1861 viewsthebooks

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:21 - Apr 14 by Wickwar_Blue

Thing is I seem to remember most people thought Sedgley was useless when we signed him in the Premiership. He then became quite effective in Division One.

I always liked Sedgley. He could pick a pass, unlike any of our current central defenders. I remember him coming back to PR as a Wolves player and getting hell from the North Stand. They wouldn't have sung "Every little thing's going to be alright" back then.

Relegation's a disaster. We're going down as an average league one team so could quite easily stay there.
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:53 - Apr 14 with 1847 viewsANNA3ROA

YVETTE COOPER could help to get it reversed.
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:55 - Apr 14 with 1835 viewsBlue_Moses

The Kiwomya "You know when you`ve been tangoed" fanzine
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:40 - Apr 14 with 1793 viewsITFC_Forever

Can remember buying A Load Of Cobbolds paper fanzine away at Watford in April1990, guy I was with warned me that it wasn’t a programme, but I said that was fine, I wanted to read a fan’s magazine.

Enjoyed reading the various articles and points of view, so I sent my step-dad to Emeny’s newsagent in the new season to buy another copy. He didn’t know which one I meant, so he returned with ALOC, TWTD and Dribble. I read them all and was hooked.

A year or so later, Paul Stephens (founder and then editor and his user-name on here was infamous a few years ago, but I’m not sure how many realised it was him) advertised for people to sell the fanzine outside the ground. Me and a couple of mates volunteered and it helped find our away games for the brilliant 1991-92 season and for the next couple of seasons until we went to uni.

Continued reading the paper version for the next 10 or so years, but it wasn’t until around 2005 I actually signed up to post on here, which I have done ever since.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:53 - Apr 14 with 1780 viewsParisBlue

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:40 - Apr 14 by ITFC_Forever

Can remember buying A Load Of Cobbolds paper fanzine away at Watford in April1990, guy I was with warned me that it wasn’t a programme, but I said that was fine, I wanted to read a fan’s magazine.

Enjoyed reading the various articles and points of view, so I sent my step-dad to Emeny’s newsagent in the new season to buy another copy. He didn’t know which one I meant, so he returned with ALOC, TWTD and Dribble. I read them all and was hooked.

A year or so later, Paul Stephens (founder and then editor and his user-name on here was infamous a few years ago, but I’m not sure how many realised it was him) advertised for people to sell the fanzine outside the ground. Me and a couple of mates volunteered and it helped find our away games for the brilliant 1991-92 season and for the next couple of seasons until we went to uni.

Continued reading the paper version for the next 10 or so years, but it wasn’t until around 2005 I actually signed up to post on here, which I have done ever since.

I recall both Dribble and "A Load of Old Cobbolds" from around 1989. TWTD followed a bit later but used to pick up the paper copy from Sportspages in London, or get them mailed to me.

As for the forum, I recall using it before an away game at Portsmouth in April 1997 for pub advice. Was suggested the Queen's Head(?). Was a right dive - turns out there were two pubs of that name. TWTD, as reliable as ever....

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:55 - Apr 14 with 1771 viewsSomethingBlue

Posting a short match report of John Wark's testimonial. My god that's nearly a quarter of a century's frequent use ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:56 - Apr 14 with 1765 viewsMelford

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 21:40 - Apr 14 by ITFC_Forever

I used to buy them all, I was only 11 or 12 at the time but I had loads of copies of A Load Of Cobbolds and Dribble!

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 22:06 - Apr 14 with 1745 viewsPendejo

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:55 - Apr 14 by Blue_Moses

The Kiwomya "You know when you`ve been tangoed" fanzine

Doubt that was the first one I bought, but It is most definitely the most memorable.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 22:32 - Apr 14 with 1699 viewsWeWereZombies

Just had a look on my bookshelf with the Town programmes and other stuff and it seems my earliest copy is issue 45 from November 1997 (picture of Shakin' Stevens with, for some reason, Simon Milton sings Chumbawamba underneath it - ah:

"We're Ipswich Town,
We'll be up again,
You ain't ever gonna keep us down!"

Also has a Teletubbies centre spread...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 07:42 - Apr 15 with 1548 viewsSteve_M

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 20:21 - Apr 14 by Wickwar_Blue

For what was for us an expensive signing Sedgley was poor in 94-95. The British transfer record was 'only' around £5m at the time I think. He was ok the following season and outstanding in 96-97 playing out of defence.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 07:46 - Apr 15 with 1546 viewsSteve_M

I certainly remember odd issues of the paper fanzine back to the Premier League years in the early 90s, think I bought most issues when I was at PR after relegation and still have a load at home.

As for the message board, certainly back to 96-97 season and the Mark E Owen board (I had to remember the URL for that at the time) but it might even have been 95-96 as that's the year I went to uni and first had internet access.

Lots of post-match chat and discussion, favourite crisps and then, later, Mathie versus Scowcroft and invading the Whigfield board and taking over the glass blowers one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 10:16 - Apr 15 with 1469 viewsBlue_Moses

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 22:06 - Apr 14 by Pendejo

Doubt that was the first one I bought, but It is most definitely the most memorable.

Might be the same with me too but as you said it's the most memorable. I remember there eas a cut out Warky tache in one for his testimonial
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 10:18 - Apr 15 with 1465 viewsBlue_Moses

What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 07:46 - Apr 15 by Steve_M

I certainly remember odd issues of the paper fanzine back to the Premier League years in the early 90s, think I bought most issues when I was at PR after relegation and still have a load at home.

As for the message board, certainly back to 96-97 season and the Mark E Owen board (I had to remember the URL for that at the time) but it might even have been 95-96 as that's the year I went to uni and first had internet access.

Lots of post-match chat and discussion, favourite crisps and then, later, Mathie versus Scowcroft and invading the Whigfield board and taking over the glass blowers one.

The good old days of taking over other boards!
What’s your earliest TWTD memory? on 10:21 - Apr 15 with 1458 viewsMullet

Abuse mostly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024