Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For all you left leaning remainers 12:00 - Apr 15 with 14906 viewsgazzer1999

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1114369/eu-news-brexit-latest-theresa-may-labo
This man spoke a lot of truth, and spent a large part of his life wanting to come out of the EU, shame his son doesn't have the same morals.
For all you left leaning remainers on 19:50 - Apr 15 with 5233 viewsfooters

For all you left leaning remainers on 19:46 - Apr 15 by Ryorry

Talking about "unelected", weren't the last turnout figures for MEP elections in the UK something like 35%? UK voters hardly seem interested in active involvement even when they have the choice -

http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-parliament-election-turnout.htm

In stark contrast to much of Europe, of course, who take electing MEPs seriously. Here it's just something like a wooden spoon.

That's not just the fault of the public either, but the media and actual parties themselves. Is it any wonder we never really felt part of the EU project democratically?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

For all you left leaning remainers on 19:53 - Apr 15 with 5229 viewsm14_blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 15:28 - Apr 15 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Why should we have a second referendum when parliament has not passed the original referendum? Would you want an election re run when the initial result was not implemented. 'in light of all the information we now have'. code for we lost, we won't accept the result lets, delay, water down, compromise and hope the majority who won will forget it. FFS the government even spent tax payers money prior to the 2016 referendum trying to persuade us to stay and the majority said we want to leave, add to that coporate business, the bbc and msm, universities, academia and you still lost.

Brexit isnt about left v right, its about populists and libertarians versus globalists who want to do away with borders and nations. Tony Benn was a man of principle, he was very left wing but he recognised democracy the sovereign state not the' John Lennon imagine' utopian BS that the likes of the EU want, in reality a huge authoritarian super state that is unelected and unaccountable.

To just focus on a small part of the crazy in that post, what MSM do you believe we’re supporting remain??

Leaving aside the moronic argument about the BBC, I suppose you could maybe make the case for channel 4 and the Guardian? The rest of the press, controlled as they are by the elites, were overwhelmingly and aggressively pro Brexit.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 20:00]
For all you left leaning remainers on 19:56 - Apr 15 with 5219 viewsRyorry

For all you left leaning remainers on 19:50 - Apr 15 by footers

In stark contrast to much of Europe, of course, who take electing MEPs seriously. Here it's just something like a wooden spoon.

That's not just the fault of the public either, but the media and actual parties themselves. Is it any wonder we never really felt part of the EU project democratically?

You could point to many things - I suspect at least part of it is psychological and historical - the inheritance of a national psyche of being traditionally a seafaring, island nation who thereby forged the "common wealth" with other parts of the world. Obviously and literally distinct from the other European countries who are mostly "in it together" as part of a single landmass.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 19:59]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:05 - Apr 15 with 5205 viewsSwansea_Blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 19:53 - Apr 15 by m14_blue

To just focus on a small part of the crazy in that post, what MSM do you believe we’re supporting remain??

Leaving aside the moronic argument about the BBC, I suppose you could maybe make the case for channel 4 and the Guardian? The rest of the press, controlled as they are by the elites, were overwhelmingly and aggressively pro Brexit.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 20:00]

You know, the best selling papers like the Sun, the Mail, the Times, the Telegraph. The paper of choice for grannies worried about the long-term weather forecast, the Express. All MASSIVE EU fans.

The only ‘remain’ paper in the top 10 sellers is the Mirror. The bbc has been proven pro-UKIP (it’s Tory/Leave stance is variable depending on programme, but most definitely isn’t pro-remain).

Ignore him - he’s utterly deluded.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:09 - Apr 15 with 5152 viewsGlasgowBlue

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:05 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

You know, the best selling papers like the Sun, the Mail, the Times, the Telegraph. The paper of choice for grannies worried about the long-term weather forecast, the Express. All MASSIVE EU fans.

The only ‘remain’ paper in the top 10 sellers is the Mirror. The bbc has been proven pro-UKIP (it’s Tory/Leave stance is variable depending on programme, but most definitely isn’t pro-remain).

When leavers call the BBC pro remain and remainers call the BBC pro Brexit you can rest assured that the BBC is completely fair, balanced and neutral.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:10 - Apr 15 with 5185 viewsfooters

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:05 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

What side did the Angling Times come out for?

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:13 - Apr 15 with 5179 viewsSwansea_Blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:10 - Apr 15 by footers

What side did the Angling Times come out for?

What are you carping on about now?

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:21 - Apr 15 with 5152 viewsfooters

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:13 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

What are you carping on about now?

The electorate taking their lies hook, line and sinker!

Login to get fewer ads

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:27 - Apr 15 with 5132 viewsXYZ

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:09 - Apr 15 by GlasgowBlue

When leavers call the BBC pro remain and remainers call the BBC pro Brexit you can rest assured that the BBC is completely fair, balanced and neutral.

Known as the BBC's false equivalence rule. The BBC's pro leave bias is well documented.

Can you find a pro Remain piece?

To borrow a phrase, if one bloke says it's sunny outside and another bloke says it's raining, journalism is not reporting both views, it is looking out the frickin window and reporting what's happening.
For all you left leaning remainers on 20:27 - Apr 15 with 5141 viewsSwansea_Blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:09 - Apr 15 by GlasgowBlue

I’ve heard that before and in theory it sounds sensible, but I don’t think it rules out bias. I’d like to see some verifiable stats. You can’t turn on the Today Programme these days without Humphreys platforming a key leaver without challenging them. QT has rent-a-UKIP candidate regularly chosen for questions and re-tweeted (check out their audience organiser). It just seems highly variable- maybe other programmes are overly bias towards remain but two wrongs don’t make a right and all that.

I’m becoming increasingly disappointed with them. If for nothing else the quality of much of their content is really struggling. They’re just competing using clickbait like everyone else.

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:29 - Apr 15 with 5123 viewsXYZ

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:27 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

I’ve heard that before and in theory it sounds sensible, but I don’t think it rules out bias. I’d like to see some verifiable stats. You can’t turn on the Today Programme these days without Humphreys platforming a key leaver without challenging them. QT has rent-a-UKIP candidate regularly chosen for questions and re-tweeted (check out their audience organiser). It just seems highly variable- maybe other programmes are overly bias towards remain but two wrongs don’t make a right and all that.

I’m becoming increasingly disappointed with them. If for nothing else the quality of much of their content is really struggling. They’re just competing using clickbait like everyone else.

Audience stats I saw today suggest BBC News has lost 19% of viewers in the last year and something like 50% since 2014.
For all you left leaning remainers on 20:49 - Apr 15 with 5081 viewsGlasgowBlue

And leavers will put over this side of the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/bbc-news-coverage-biased-against-brexit/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2019/02/01/bbc-bias-still-skewing-brexit-deb

I think people who hold a particular view see bias in journalism when they give airtime to people who they disagree with.

I am centre right. I prefer Sky News. But I get frustrated when they have somebody on whom I strongly disagree with. Owen Jones is a good example.

Then, when I think about it logically I accept they are being completely fair in presenting both points of view.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For all you left leaning remainers on 21:06 - Apr 15 with 5095 viewsSwansea_Blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 20:49 - Apr 15 by GlasgowBlue

And leavers will put over this side of the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/bbc-news-coverage-biased-against-brexit/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2019/02/01/bbc-bias-still-skewing-brexit-deb

I think people who hold a particular view see bias in journalism when they give airtime to people who they disagree with.

I am centre right. I prefer Sky News. But I get frustrated when they have somebody on whom I strongly disagree with. Owen Jones is a good example.

Then, when I think about it logically I accept they are being completely fair in presenting both points of view.

Well they need to think a bit more critically then, because that Sun article is nonsense. The Beeb can’t have been “biased against Brexit” since 1999. Brexit didn’t exist back then, wasn’t a public issue and the Beeb wouldn’t have any reason to consider it before the referendum. It may have been “pro-EU” in attitude but so were many, including leavers, before battle lines were drawn in the referendum. So typical of the spin in the gutter press, although not at all surprising.

I understand what you’re saying, and you may well be right. I see bias when one side is disproportionately represented, or when people aren’t challenged when they tell blatant lies or midlead. That’s just me, I can speak for anyone else.

For all you left leaning remainers on 21:34 - Apr 15 with 5068 viewsMeadowlark

I get it. You don't agree with what Tony Benn said but you agree with what Tony Benn said. I
For all you left leaning remainers on 22:00 - Apr 15 with 5041 viewsXYZ

For all you left leaning remainers on 21:06 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

Well they need to think a bit more critically then, because that Sun article is nonsense. The Beeb can’t have been “biased against Brexit” since 1999. Brexit didn’t exist back then, wasn’t a public issue and the Beeb wouldn’t have any reason to consider it before the referendum. It may have been “pro-EU” in attitude but so were many, including leavers, before battle lines were drawn in the referendum. So typical of the spin in the gutter press, although not at all surprising.

I understand what you’re saying, and you may well be right. I see bias when one side is disproportionately represented, or when people aren’t challenged when they tell blatant lies or midlead. That’s just me, I can speak for anyone else.

A good, but depressing, piece from a ex-BBC News producer is a good illustration.

If only the Green Party benefitted from such free unchallenged coverage.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/04/15/brexit-breaking-point-how-one-veteran-believe
For all you left leaning remainers on 23:12 - Apr 15 with 5007 viewsRyorry

For all you left leaning remainers on 21:06 - Apr 15 by Swansea_Blue

"The Beeb can’t have been “biased against Brexit” since 1999. Brexit didn’t exist back then, wasn’t a public issue and the Beeb wouldn’t have any reason to consider it before the referendum".

Couldn't make it up could you!

Oh hang on, the Sun did.

Again.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

For all you left leaning remainers on 07:41 - Apr 16 with 4965 viewshampstead_blue

“They are an imperial bureaucratic elite who are not elected, cannot be removed save by an overwhelming majority in the European Parliament and therefore do not have to listen to the people over whom they exercise such power.

"The Council of Ministers — comprising of politicians from each of the EU countries — theoretically makes the laws under which the people of Europe are governed, but this lawmaking is done very largely in secret.

I've huge respect for Tony Benn. Whilst our politics differ, his polite, principled, and honest behaviour set the standard.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

For all you left leaning remainers on 07:55 - Apr 16 with 4954 viewschicoazul

The fact that people with your views and people with Jonosdreadlocks' views both agree the BBC is "biased" is proof that it is doing a good job.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

For all you left leaning remainers on 07:58 - Apr 16 with 4945 viewsgazzer1999

For all you left leaning remainers on 23:12 - Apr 15 by Ryorry

"The Beeb can’t have been “biased against Brexit” since 1999. Brexit didn’t exist back then, wasn’t a public issue and the Beeb wouldn’t have any reason to consider it before the referendum".

Couldn't make it up could you!

Oh hang on, the Sun did.

Again.

The BBC have always been anti the Tory party going back to when Major was PM in the early nineties, he was having trouble getting the Maastricht treaty through parliament, the Beeb made a big play about him having trouble with his party being partly euro sceptic. They did their best to always be negative towards Major and always pump up the EU rhetoric.
Brexit itself did not exist but the feelings for it did, that is why we were never given a referendum in the past, the very people that voted for brexit would have done so back then with the same result. Instead of trying to overturn the result why not embrace it, you can always buy a red cover for your passport.
For all you left leaning remainers on 08:03 - Apr 16 with 4927 viewsfooters

For all you left leaning remainers on 07:58 - Apr 16 by gazzer1999

The BBC have always been anti the Tory party going back to when Major was PM in the early nineties, he was having trouble getting the Maastricht treaty through parliament, the Beeb made a big play about him having trouble with his party being partly euro sceptic. They did their best to always be negative towards Major and always pump up the EU rhetoric.
Brexit itself did not exist but the feelings for it did, that is why we were never given a referendum in the past, the very people that voted for brexit would have done so back then with the same result. Instead of trying to overturn the result why not embrace it, you can always buy a red cover for your passport.

Can you explain why it's biased for anyone to report the Tory party being inherently split on Europe? It's a fact.

"Instead of trying to overturn the result why not embrace it"

Because it's financial suicide. Hope this helps.

For all you left leaning remainers on 08:35 - Apr 16 with 4901 viewsgazzer1999

For all you left leaning remainers on 08:03 - Apr 16 by footers

Can you explain why it's biased for anyone to report the Tory party being inherently split on Europe? It's a fact.

"Instead of trying to overturn the result why not embrace it"

Because it's financial suicide. Hope this helps.

Is that why the UK has just overtaken the US for being the top destination for investment despite Brexit?
Bet you won't read that in your beloved Guardian.
For the record Labour are just inherently split on Europe as well, always have been, the true lefties have always been anti EU, its just the Tory wannabes like Chuka and co that have pro Europe.
For all you left leaning remainers on 08:55 - Apr 16 with 4873 viewsHerbivore

Every time gazzer and jonno open their mouths I despair at how limited the understanding of Brexiteers is and that they are the ones who have seized control of the country. Utterly fooking depressing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

For all you left leaning remainers on 09:41 - Apr 16 with 4853 viewsSwansea_Blue

For all you left leaning remainers on 07:55 - Apr 16 by chicoazul

The fact that people with your views and people with Jonosdreadlocks' views both agree the BBC is "biased" is proof that it is doing a good job.

I don’t think it necessarily means that. I’d argue it’s doing such a bad job these days that everyone’s finding fault. I can’t speak for Jonos, but the thing that irks me most is the poor quality of journalism. It’s increasingly just free platforming and entertainment with little attempt to challenge obvious errors.

For all you left leaning remainers on 10:31 - Apr 16 with 4833 viewsgazzer1999

For all you left leaning remainers on 09:41 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

I don’t think it necessarily means that. I’d argue it’s doing such a bad job these days that everyone’s finding fault. I can’t speak for Jonos, but the thing that irks me most is the poor quality of journalism. It’s increasingly just free platforming and entertainment with little attempt to challenge obvious errors.

Much like this forum.
However everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats what makes the world and this country a great place. Without different opinions we would probably end up like the old Soviet Union or North Korea.
The only thing I find unpleasant is if you disagree with the remainers on this site is you are instantly branded stupid or racist.
For all you left leaning remainers on 10:40 - Apr 16 with 4821 viewschicoazul

For all you left leaning remainers on 09:41 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

But being bad at journalism, even if they are, is not the same as bias.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024