Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are so many referees such tvvats? 13:36 - Apr 15 with 6002 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is just ridiculous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47932458

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:31 - Apr 15 with 1603 viewshomer_123

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:27 - Apr 15 by BrixtonBlue

I give up.

Yes, he's literally applied the laws of the game. But come on? Common sense says give a goal kick, which was clearly what was about to happen.

As suggested elsewhere, maybe my ire should be with the rule makers rather than the ref. It's just so daft that he has to give a drop ball there. Imagine if the attacking team had scored from that drop ball. It would encourage people to run on the pitch in future in order to affect games.

I think most in this thread have had their common sense glands removed. Or are just looking to disagree because it's me.

It's nothing against you - so please don't take it personally.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:32 - Apr 15 with 1597 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:31 - Apr 15 by homer_123

It's nothing against you - so please don't take it personally.

So why can't you see what I'm getting at?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:36 - Apr 15 with 1587 viewsGeoffSentence

I give up.

Yes, he's literally applied the laws of the game. But come on? Common sense says give a goal kick, which was clearly what was about to happen.

As suggested elsewhere, maybe my ire should be with the rule makers rather than the ref. It's just so daft that he has to give a drop ball there. Imagine if the attacking team had scored from that drop ball. It would encourage people to run on the pitch in future in order to affect games.

I think most in this thread have had their common sense glands removed. Or are just looking to disagree because it's me.

There really isn't much wriggle room for refs, and bear in mind there will be an assessor somewhere making sure that he is applying the rules correctly and would likely get a slap on the wrist for not doing so.

Regarding common sense in reffing generally, whilst it sounds great, in reality every ref would have a different idea of what was common sense and what wasn't. Given a little bit of flexibility the end result would be inconsistency in decision making, and that doesn't go down well either.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:38 - Apr 15 with 1579 viewshomer_123

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:32 - Apr 15 by BrixtonBlue

As I say, he's done nothing wrong, at all.

I just don't see it the way you do.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 16:42 - Apr 15 with 1542 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:36 - Apr 15 by GeoffSentence

There really isn't much wriggle room for refs, and bear in mind there will be an assessor somewhere making sure that he is applying the rules correctly and would likely get a slap on the wrist for not doing so.

Regarding common sense in reffing generally, whilst it sounds great, in reality every ref would have a different idea of what was common sense and what wasn't. Given a little bit of flexibility the end result would be inconsistency in decision making, and that doesn't go down well either.

Fair points, although I think by the nature of common sense most would surely do the right thing (that's why it's common). Surely most would agree that if common sense were applied in the OP example, the ref would just give a goal kick.

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 16:46 - Apr 15 with 1536 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:38 - Apr 15 by homer_123

As I say, he's done nothing wrong, at all.

I just don't see it the way you do.

No, you're being obtuse. I've said he's applied the letter of the law. Common sense would've been to give a goal kick (if the world wasn't mad). You know that. Everyone just applying common sense knows that.

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 17:06 - Apr 15 with 1500 viewschicoazul

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 15:32 - Apr 15 by BrixtonBlue

Maybe he just disagrees with you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 17:33 - Apr 15 with 1458 viewsstrikalite

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 16:46 - Apr 15 by BrixtonBlue

No, you're being obtuse. I've said he's applied the letter of the law. Common sense would've been to give a goal kick (if the world wasn't mad). You know that. Everyone just applying common sense knows that.

It was clearly going out for a goal kick, he should have just had a quick word with the linesman to clarify that and just point for a goal kick..

But yep I suppose rules is rules as they say...
Login to get fewer ads

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 17:48 - Apr 15 with 1442 viewsSpruceMoose

I give up.

All this talk of common sense makes me wonder if you've been spending too much time in Wetherspoons since rejoining the drinking fraternity!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 17:56 - Apr 15 with 1429 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 17:48 - Apr 15 by SpruceMoose

All this talk of common sense makes me wonder if you've been spending too much time in Wetherspoons since rejoining the drinking fraternity!

Hilariously, that's exactly where I am right now. Working on the book.

Why are so many ball boys so sh1te? on 20:02 - Apr 15 with 1384 viewsWeWereZombies

Why are so many ball boys so sh1te? on 15:30 - Apr 15 by GeoffSentence

Not so bad as for this chap

[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 15:31]

But full credit to the lad, he didn't argue with the ref, he looks like he could break down but he is holding back the tears (at least until he is down the tunnel), bit of an example to some professional footballers I would say.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 20:04 - Apr 15 with 1383 viewssparks

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 16:46 - Apr 15 by BrixtonBlue

If refs just change the rules when it suits, they are going to have real problems sooner or later.

It was absolutely correct. And the situation easily sorted by the drop ball getting the ball back to the keeper. Non Issue.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Why are so many referees such tvvats? on 20:42 - Apr 15 with 1357 viewsBackToRussia

I give up.

Obviously the other team didn't contest the drop ball!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024