Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From today's Daily Mail..... 08:11 - Apr 16 with 28554 viewsBluebell

I won't put up the link but this is taken from an article by Martin Samuel about Paul Pogba, Joey Barton and Mick McCarthy.....

"Meanwhile, at Ipswich, fans are jubilant having been relegated to League One less than halfway through April. They have to be.

Otherwise they must admit that, in the circumstances and given the budgetary restrictions, Mick McCarthy was doing a superb job keeping the club free of relegation trouble, and if the football was less than expansive, it was necessary to survive.

Instead, they made his life a misery and he quit. The managers that have succeeded him, Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert, have won a grand total of four games in all competitions this season.

McCarthy won more than that between August 5 and August 19, in his final campaign. He won 17 games in total before walking out, prematurely, with a 1-0 win over Barnsley. Yet to display unhappiness at an upcoming fixture list that may include trips to Scunthorpe and Rochdale next season would, in many cases, involve admitting being misguidedly harsh on McCarthy."

Makes you think, doesn't it?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:18 - Apr 16 with 10879 viewsWeekender

Does it?

The club could not go on as it was under MM. As someone recently said, football is about enjoyment, whatever league you are in.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 16 with 10826 viewsblueislander

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:18 - Apr 16 by Weekender

Does it?

The club could not go on as it was under MM. As someone recently said, football is about enjoyment, whatever league you are in.

Well said. Why do people go to football? Is it to see their team win, or to be entertained?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 16 with 10827 viewsmo_itfc

This is terrible journalism (obviously it's DM...).

We all know and accept MM was keeping us safe and I think we're all happy to admit that. That's just simply not what we wanted.

Non of us are happy about going into League 1. The squad we've got should have avoided regulation, other than the fact Hurst got rid of 3 proven goal scorers and the replacements just are not good enough!
It's annoying!!!!!!!!
i am not jubilant about this at all, I'm very very annoyed and I feel let down by both managers and owner... because our attacking replacements have not been good enough!

Also, I think Bart has had a rough season, maybe Bart of old could have saved a few more... and maybe we wouldn't have lost so much...

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 16 with 10819 viewsHerbivore

Does it?

I used to enjoy the feeling of winning games, and of going to games thinking we could win.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:27 - Apr 16 with 10817 viewsBluebell

Does it?

Of course it is about enjoyment but have you enjoyed watching Town lose week in and week out because I certainly haven't?

We have played 42 games this season and won 4. Can you honestly say you have 'enjoyed' that?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:30 - Apr 16 with 10786 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 16 by blueislander

Well said. Why do people go to football? Is it to see their team win, or to be entertained?

It's to see them win, otherwise you're a spectator rather than a fan.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:32 - Apr 16 with 10782 viewsmo_itfc

I know a few people who are "fans" of prem clubs... and I know a few people who are fans of their local club.

In my experience I think there are 2 types of supporters...
1 - Like football and wants to watch quality football
2 - Like to watch winning

Chelsea fans for instance, just want to see winning!!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:34 - Apr 16 with 10784 viewsbluefunk

It does make you think, and it makes me think that ITFC fans have been unfairly scapegoated for MM’s departure. For years Town fans have been derided as passive and passionless, PR a “nice” place to visit, while fans of most other club have engineered the departure of a succession of managers.

McCarthys Town era departure appeared to mirror his time at Millwall, Wolves and Sunderland, where fans tired of his pragmatism and favourites, and those clubs endured difficult times when he left, and yet, he got no criticism for the state in which he left both clubs, from the outside world - ditto Town.

While I have no time for the vile abuse MM suffered, he bears some responsibility for the mess we have now to endure, yet somehow he is beyond criticism for some.
Login to get fewer ads

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:35 - Apr 16 with 10763 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:34 - Apr 16 by bluefunk

It does make you think, and it makes me think that ITFC fans have been unfairly scapegoated for MM’s departure. For years Town fans have been derided as passive and passionless, PR a “nice” place to visit, while fans of most other club have engineered the departure of a succession of managers.

McCarthys Town era departure appeared to mirror his time at Millwall, Wolves and Sunderland, where fans tired of his pragmatism and favourites, and those clubs endured difficult times when he left, and yet, he got no criticism for the state in which he left both clubs, from the outside world - ditto Town.

While I have no time for the vile abuse MM suffered, he bears some responsibility for the mess we have now to endure, yet somehow he is beyond criticism for some.

That's a bizarre take on it.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:42 - Apr 16 with 10722 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:27 - Apr 16 by Bluebell

Of course it is about enjoyment but have you enjoyed watching Town lose week in and week out because I certainly haven't?

We have played 42 games this season and won 4. Can you honestly say you have 'enjoyed' that?

The rot was setting in before this season though Bluebell. MM's last 21 games before he walked out he only won 4/5 and he had a much better squad than what PL has currently got to work with. MM is good at what he does, but limited in his approach. Our relegation has been coming, thankfully MM was able to starve it off, but it just seemed inevitable. You can't go the amount of games we have this season and from last season and won so few. PH made a huge 'balls up' with his recruitment last summer as we all know, but the buck stops with ME and his austerity approach and it's now going to cost him more to get us back up due to his penny pinching, shortsightedness and reactive ownership of our club. Just wish he was a person that could be creative and think outside the box, but I just get the impression ME is hoping something will happen than generally trying to get something started like most effective businessmen.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 8:49]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:43 - Apr 16 with 10719 viewsmaccyd9

All it makes me think is how poorly Town fans have been tainted in this.

Mick was not hounded out. There were a few dissenters as is normal when the manager is so dismissive of the fan base. I'd say he disliked the fans more than the fans disliked him, but of course that doesn't get a mention anywhere.

People wanted hope, that's all. People wanted to feel like there could be progress or that we could have a chance....or at the very least....let's go down in games fighting. It had stagnated and I don't see how people can think otherwise.

It had to change, that the change was a total cluster fVck is irrelevant to Mick's departure. Mick is not a top manager by any means and it's not a massive jump to think that a new man could take us on.

And there are many far worse, even recent examples of fans hounding managers. Wenger at Arsenal, the countless United managers since SAF, even Sarri last week at Cardiff got more abuse than Mick ever did.

Anybody that thinks Mick was hounded out or that it wasn't desperately time for a change has really lost the sense of what being a football fan is all about....hope.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:44 - Apr 16 with 10714 viewsEastKentBlue

McCarthy only won 4 games with us in 2018 - the rot and decline was starting then. We only won 2 games since which is shocking and accelerated given we sold all our goals in the team.

If you look at Lambert we have drawn far too many games, but performances in a few of them have been positive. At least we are on the front foot and trying to play the game the right way. One step back and all that...
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:47 - Apr 16 with 10681 viewschristiand

Look at Tony Pulis at Middlesboro seems to be in exactly the same situation at the Riverside that MM was with us where fans are just bored of his football. Like MM, it's fine when you are winning, but when you start losing I think the frustrations begin to show and the football limitations become more evident. Pulis will be the next to face the tic-tac, but like MM, he does exactly what it says on the tin so you shouldn't be surprised with how he gets his teams playing.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 9:01]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:48 - Apr 16 with 10677 viewsTractorchef

It makes me laugh when fans of other clubs say similar, probably the same fans that used to say "I don't know how you watch that crap every week!"
I don't think being behind the team and manager equates to jubilation at being relegated.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:48 - Apr 16 with 10674 viewsKieran_Knows

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:42 - Apr 16 by christiand

The rot was setting in before this season though Bluebell. MM's last 21 games before he walked out he only won 4/5 and he had a much better squad than what PL has currently got to work with. MM is good at what he does, but limited in his approach. Our relegation has been coming, thankfully MM was able to starve it off, but it just seemed inevitable. You can't go the amount of games we have this season and from last season and won so few. PH made a huge 'balls up' with his recruitment last summer as we all know, but the buck stops with ME and his austerity approach and it's now going to cost him more to get us back up due to his penny pinching, shortsightedness and reactive ownership of our club. Just wish he was a person that could be creative and think outside the box, but I just get the impression ME is hoping something will happen than generally trying to get something started like most effective businessmen.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 8:49]

Paul Lambert has gained more points in his last 21 games then Mick did in his last 21 games here (or so I was told over the weekend).

EDIT - scrap that, looks like that info was wrong. 20 points for Mick, 17 for Lambert (although Mick's squad was better).
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 8:52]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:51 - Apr 16 with 10633 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:48 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

Paul Lambert has gained more points in his last 21 games then Mick did in his last 21 games here (or so I was told over the weekend).

EDIT - scrap that, looks like that info was wrong. 20 points for Mick, 17 for Lambert (although Mick's squad was better).
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 8:52]

From MM's last 21 games he amassed 21 points, therefore a point a game that's not going to keep you away from the Championship relegation trapdoor either.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:04 - Apr 16 with 10517 viewsGuthrum

That stat about the games in August is very disingenuous and selective.

We then only won another four between then and 25th November. And just five between the New Year and McCarthy's departure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:06 - Apr 16 with 10500 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:43 - Apr 16 by maccyd9

All it makes me think is how poorly Town fans have been tainted in this.

Mick was not hounded out. There were a few dissenters as is normal when the manager is so dismissive of the fan base. I'd say he disliked the fans more than the fans disliked him, but of course that doesn't get a mention anywhere.

People wanted hope, that's all. People wanted to feel like there could be progress or that we could have a chance....or at the very least....let's go down in games fighting. It had stagnated and I don't see how people can think otherwise.

It had to change, that the change was a total cluster fVck is irrelevant to Mick's departure. Mick is not a top manager by any means and it's not a massive jump to think that a new man could take us on.

And there are many far worse, even recent examples of fans hounding managers. Wenger at Arsenal, the countless United managers since SAF, even Sarri last week at Cardiff got more abuse than Mick ever did.

Anybody that thinks Mick was hounded out or that it wasn't desperately time for a change has really lost the sense of what being a football fan is all about....hope.

It's nonsense to say he wasn't hounded out, some of the abuse at the end was vile and he had to leave Griffin Park via the back door. The reaction to subbing Cotter in his final game just about summed it up.

You say it's about hope, that's the one thing this season has been utterly devoid of. At least under Mick I went to most games at PR thinking we could could win. I haven't gone to a game at PR in many months now feeling that way.

Look, he had to go in the end because things had become too toxic between him and the numbskulls. But let's not rewrite history either.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:07 - Apr 16 with 10492 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:04 - Apr 16 by Guthrum

That stat about the games in August is very disingenuous and selective.

We then only won another four between then and 25th November. And just five between the New Year and McCarthy's departure.

Although all of those runs match or better our entire season's tally this season.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:07 - Apr 16 with 10487 viewsPJH

Well you know my answer to that one.

If you can have both then fine but....
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:08 - Apr 16 with 10486 viewsGuthrum

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:44 - Apr 16 by EastKentBlue

McCarthy only won 4 games with us in 2018 - the rot and decline was starting then. We only won 2 games since which is shocking and accelerated given we sold all our goals in the team.

If you look at Lambert we have drawn far too many games, but performances in a few of them have been positive. At least we are on the front foot and trying to play the game the right way. One step back and all that...

5 games in 2018 (Leeds H, Sunderland A, Preston A, Sheff Weds A, Barnsley H). Not that makes it much better.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:10 - Apr 16 with 10472 viewsbluejacko

MMs maters in the medieval still don’t get it! He did not quit or wasn’t hounded out he flounced out of the club at the time of his own choosing trying to look hard done by! Evans decided to have a change and his time was up here.
As for being jubilant about relegation is he having a laugh? Saturday was more a show of defiance in the face of adversity and was superb. It has shown we are not mere yokels but a support base that will follow our club no matter what. Anybody that wants tolook down their noses and laugh at us STUFF them.

COYB
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:10 - Apr 16 with 10457 viewsGuthrum

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:07 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Although all of those runs match or better our entire season's tally this season.

If we had last season's strikers this time, we might well have matched that total. That is what made the biggest difference.

Plus the season isn't finished yet ...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:12 - Apr 16 with 10449 viewsGuthrum

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:10 - Apr 16 by bluejacko

MMs maters in the medieval still don’t get it! He did not quit or wasn’t hounded out he flounced out of the club at the time of his own choosing trying to look hard done by! Evans decided to have a change and his time was up here.
As for being jubilant about relegation is he having a laugh? Saturday was more a show of defiance in the face of adversity and was superb. It has shown we are not mere yokels but a support base that will follow our club no matter what. Anybody that wants tolook down their noses and laugh at us STUFF them.

COYB

Well put: 'As for being jubilant about relegation is he having a laugh? Saturday was more a show of defiance in the face of adversity and was superb.'

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:17 - Apr 16 with 10395 viewsITFC_Forever

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:06 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

It's nonsense to say he wasn't hounded out, some of the abuse at the end was vile and he had to leave Griffin Park via the back door. The reaction to subbing Cotter in his final game just about summed it up.

You say it's about hope, that's the one thing this season has been utterly devoid of. At least under Mick I went to most games at PR thinking we could could win. I haven't gone to a game at PR in many months now feeling that way.

Look, he had to go in the end because things had become too toxic between him and the numbskulls. But let's not rewrite history either.

You went to most games at PR thinking we would win?

I certainly didn't for the last 2/3 years.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024