Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From today's Daily Mail..... 08:11 - Apr 16 with 28380 viewsBluebell

I won't put up the link but this is taken from an article by Martin Samuel about Paul Pogba, Joey Barton and Mick McCarthy.....

"Meanwhile, at Ipswich, fans are jubilant having been relegated to League One less than halfway through April. They have to be.

Otherwise they must admit that, in the circumstances and given the budgetary restrictions, Mick McCarthy was doing a superb job keeping the club free of relegation trouble, and if the football was less than expansive, it was necessary to survive.

Instead, they made his life a misery and he quit. The managers that have succeeded him, Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert, have won a grand total of four games in all competitions this season.

McCarthy won more than that between August 5 and August 19, in his final campaign. He won 17 games in total before walking out, prematurely, with a 1-0 win over Barnsley. Yet to display unhappiness at an upcoming fixture list that may include trips to Scunthorpe and Rochdale next season would, in many cases, involve admitting being misguidedly harsh on McCarthy."

Makes you think, doesn't it?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:18 - Apr 16 with 2638 viewsITFC_Forever

Another lazy national journalist. What a surprise.

The problem wasn't Mick leaving, it was what his replacement then did. And Mick's replacement's replacement being left with a mountain to climb.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:20 - Apr 16 with 2617 viewsGarv

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:06 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

It's nonsense to say he wasn't hounded out, some of the abuse at the end was vile and he had to leave Griffin Park via the back door. The reaction to subbing Cotter in his final game just about summed it up.

You say it's about hope, that's the one thing this season has been utterly devoid of. At least under Mick I went to most games at PR thinking we could could win. I haven't gone to a game at PR in many months now feeling that way.

Look, he had to go in the end because things had become too toxic between him and the numbskulls. But let's not rewrite history either.

Did you genuinely enjoy the prospect of going to a match during the latter stages of Mick's tenure.

Everything about Mick screamed ego towards the end. Even the way he walked out. Banging a desk and proclaiming "that's me last gaaame".

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:20 - Apr 16 with 2616 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:17 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

You went to most games at PR thinking we would win?

I certainly didn't for the last 2/3 years.

Thinking we could win not would win, and justifiably so given that we used to actually win games at PR.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:22 - Apr 16 with 2605 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:17 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

You went to most games at PR thinking we would win?

I certainly didn't for the last 2/3 years.

Every game under MM home and away, but particularly away because the support was usually better, I went thinking that we could win-not necessarily would win but I could always see a way where we could win,usually by getting a goal more than the opposition did.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:23 - Apr 16 with 2592 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:20 - Apr 16 by Garv

Did you genuinely enjoy the prospect of going to a match during the latter stages of Mick's tenure.

Everything about Mick screamed ego towards the end. Even the way he walked out. Banging a desk and proclaiming "that's me last gaaame".

Given what he'd put up with the way he left was understandable. The last few months of Mick's tenure weren't enjoyable and 2016/17 after we lost Murph and didn't replace him was largely turgid, but even then we managed results like turning Newcastle over 3-1. This season has just been completely abject.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:26 - Apr 16 with 2579 viewsGarv

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:23 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Given what he'd put up with the way he left was understandable. The last few months of Mick's tenure weren't enjoyable and 2016/17 after we lost Murph and didn't replace him was largely turgid, but even then we managed results like turning Newcastle over 3-1. This season has just been completely abject.

How bad this season has been can't be denied, but it doesn't mean we should be in some way grateful for what we saw last season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 with 2576 viewsSwansea_Blue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:18 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

The problem wasn't Mick leaving, it was what his replacement then did. And Mick's replacement's replacement being left with a mountain to climb.

You’re being generous. It’s lazy, out of touch with the mood AND late (being this was been discussed to death in the press at the start of the season).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 with 2572 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:26 - Apr 16 by Garv

How bad this season has been can't be denied, but it doesn't mean we should be in some way grateful for what we saw last season.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. However, I'd swap last season for this one in a heartbeat.

Login to get fewer ads

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 with 2571 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:26 - Apr 16 by Garv

Although what we saw last season meant that we were seeing Championship football this season, unlike next season.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:29 - Apr 16 with 2565 viewsGuthrum

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:18 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

There is a meme developing of ungrateful provincial club fans being deservedly punished for having turned our backs upon such a famous manager.

Like many memes, it is extremely simplistic, lacking any real substance or insight.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:30 - Apr 16 with 2557 viewsKieran_Knows

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 by PJH

Although what we saw last season meant that we were seeing Championship football this season, unlike next season.

But Mick leaving isn't the reason why we're getting relegated this season. The ineptitude of Hurst and Evans last summer is.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:36 - Apr 16 with 2548 viewsDyland

I don't know if Martin Samuel is a pal of McCarthy's or not, but I do know that he is a gutter pressman who doesn't write journalistic articles. Cliche ridden and ill informed, it's the usual sh1t stirring fake news one would expect from the Mail.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:36 - Apr 16 with 2533 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:30 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

But Mick leaving isn't the reason why we're getting relegated this season. The ineptitude of Hurst and Evans last summer is.

Although, playing devil's advocate, had Mick not left I doubt we'd be getting relegated this season.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:36 - Apr 16 with 2532 viewsPJH

I agree, if somebody competent had followed MM then it is very unlikely that we would be getting relegated.
I am not saying in any way that what has happened this season is just because MM is not here although I am saying that it would not have happened if he was here.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:37 - Apr 16 with 2528 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:36 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Although, playing devil's advocate, had Mick not left I doubt we'd be getting relegated this season.

Which is more or less what I was typing at the same time.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:39 - Apr 16 with 2522 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 by PJH

I think we’d have gone down under Mick at some stage. Probably not this season but the club was in danger of stagnating.

Had Mick stayed season ticket sales would have plummeted. We’d have been playing turgid football in front of an empty stadium and we’d have seen a slow and gradual decline. The sort of decline that is very hard to recover from.

As things stand we have gone down in a short sharp shock whilst retaining the backing of the fans. I think we are in a better position to recover than we would have been had our decline been more gradual.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:39 - Apr 16 with 2511 viewsBluebell

Evans taking on a lower division manager seemed to be what a lot of fans were calling for at the time.

Evans has never had a man with 'football' knowledge helping at the club. Ian Milne said the right things but hadn't got a clue.

If Evans had admitted, when things starting going badly wrong, that he needed help from someone like George Burley (or someone with insight of the club) we might not be starting next season in League 1. I am sure they would have advised not to get rid of all our strikers for a start!
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:41 - Apr 16 with 2507 viewsFramfarmer

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:39 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

I think we’d have gone down under Mick at some stage. Probably not this season but the club was in danger of stagnating.

Had Mick stayed season ticket sales would have plummeted. We’d have been playing turgid football in front of an empty stadium and we’d have seen a slow and gradual decline. The sort of decline that is very hard to recover from.

As things stand we have gone down in a short sharp shock whilst retaining the backing of the fans. I think we are in a better position to recover than we would have been had our decline been more gradual.

Presume the Irish national team prefer winning matches to being the most attractive/entertaining team on the planet.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:41 - Apr 16 with 2510 viewsSomethingBlue

If we go up next season then this, by accident or design, will be proved right I think. If we don't then, my god, we have some troubling times ahead.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:42 - Apr 16 with 2502 viewsmonty_radio

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:27 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. However, I'd swap last season for this one in a heartbeat.

An utter lack of heartbeat stopped me from going from about January onwards last year. That's not an historical re-write, nor is the fact that several thousand more did the same, judging by what the empty seats were beginning to tell us (even if the attendance figures supplied strangely failed to entirely reflect it).

As to Mick being driven away - the strengths he liked to portray would suggest otherwise. He left in anger rather than sorrrow, or so the last presser and subsequent utterings seemed to suggest. He has had extended opportunity to cast those latter events in the mould that some of his admirers have done, but has signally failed to do so while occasionally stirring the pot - see the Garner exchange of views.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:44 - Apr 16 with 2490 viewsHerbivore

Or conversely we don't lose Waghorn or Webster, make a couple of shrewd signings including some flair on loan and make a good fist at pushing on from 12th. Take a look at last season's table and look at the sides that finished 10th to 15th. Aside from us 4 are in the top 6 (including the top 3) and the other isn't a mile away either. It's been an average league this year, with stability and tweaks we could have had a good season. Of course the relationship between Mick and the fans made that impossible in the end and he had to go, so it's all moot. But I can see why people on the outside looking in who like and respect Mick have little sympathy for us.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:45 - Apr 16 with 2488 viewsPJH

All that makes sense except I do not agree that we would necessarily have eventually gone down under MM, we might even have replicated or bettered 2014/15.

I certainly agree that next season MIGHT be the springboard for better things.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:45 - Apr 16 with 2487 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:41 - Apr 16 by Framfarmer

Presume the Irish national team prefer winning matches to being the most attractive/entertaining team on the planet.

I would imagine so. The Irish have limited options in their squad. If they are to qualify for a major tournament then they will do so by grinding out results.

I’m not sure what any of that has to do with ITFC though.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 9:47]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:46 - Apr 16 with 2483 viewsBluebell

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:41 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

If we go up next season then this, by accident or design, will be proved right I think. If we don't then, my god, we have some troubling times ahead.

I think that all depends on what ME is prepared to do in the summer.

If he feels we can rely on the youngsters and just bring in a couple of others, we definitely won't go up.

I know we are stuck with Hurst's players who are on contracts but some of them are now showing that they can step up to the mark. League 1 isn't an easy league. We found that when playing against Accrington.

My only hope is that Evans puts his faith in Lambert, is prepared to buy the players he wants and doesn't start relying on too many loanees again.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 9:49]
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:50 - Apr 16 with 2473 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:45 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

I would imagine so. The Irish have limited options in their squad. If they are to qualify for a major tournament then they will do so by grinding out results.

I’m not sure what any of that has to do with ITFC though.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 9:47]

I do not see any problem with anyone grinding out results whilst it is results that define success or otherwise.

Quite possibly some time in the not too distant future games will be decided on completed passes and possession percentages and goals scored in relation to those scored by the opposition will be irrelevant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024