Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From today's Daily Mail..... 08:11 - Apr 16 with 28378 viewsBluebell

I won't put up the link but this is taken from an article by Martin Samuel about Paul Pogba, Joey Barton and Mick McCarthy.....

"Meanwhile, at Ipswich, fans are jubilant having been relegated to League One less than halfway through April. They have to be.

Otherwise they must admit that, in the circumstances and given the budgetary restrictions, Mick McCarthy was doing a superb job keeping the club free of relegation trouble, and if the football was less than expansive, it was necessary to survive.

Instead, they made his life a misery and he quit. The managers that have succeeded him, Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert, have won a grand total of four games in all competitions this season.

McCarthy won more than that between August 5 and August 19, in his final campaign. He won 17 games in total before walking out, prematurely, with a 1-0 win over Barnsley. Yet to display unhappiness at an upcoming fixture list that may include trips to Scunthorpe and Rochdale next season would, in many cases, involve admitting being misguidedly harsh on McCarthy."

Makes you think, doesn't it?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:52 - Apr 16 with 2828 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:42 - Apr 16 by monty_radio

An utter lack of heartbeat stopped me from going from about January onwards last year. That's not an historical re-write, nor is the fact that several thousand more did the same, judging by what the empty seats were beginning to tell us (even if the attendance figures supplied strangely failed to entirely reflect it).

As to Mick being driven away - the strengths he liked to portray would suggest otherwise. He left in anger rather than sorrrow, or so the last presser and subsequent utterings seemed to suggest. He has had extended opportunity to cast those latter events in the mould that some of his admirers have done, but has signally failed to do so while occasionally stirring the pot - see the Garner exchange of views.

If you didn't go to games you probably missed him being hounded out so you're not well placed to comment on that really. As for the rest, have you heard many interviews with Mick about Town since he left? He's very complimentary about the club and the majority of the fans and seems sad at how it ended. That doesn't fit the numbskull narrative though I guess.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:53 - Apr 16 with 2812 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:44 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Or conversely we don't lose Waghorn or Webster, make a couple of shrewd signings including some flair on loan and make a good fist at pushing on from 12th. Take a look at last season's table and look at the sides that finished 10th to 15th. Aside from us 4 are in the top 6 (including the top 3) and the other isn't a mile away either. It's been an average league this year, with stability and tweaks we could have had a good season. Of course the relationship between Mick and the fans made that impossible in the end and he had to go, so it's all moot. But I can see why people on the outside looking in who like and respect Mick have little sympathy for us.

Don’t get me wrong. The numskulls are more than a little complicit in Mick being driven out of the club. But you are right to say that the relationship between manager and fans had become toxic.

However, Mick made no effort to reach out in order to repair the relationship. I was very much in the “Mick in” camp but was frustrated by what appeared to be an arrogance he portrayed towards the end. An attitude that suggested we were lucky to have him and that he should be given a free pass fir saving us from relegation under Jewell.

I think it was Phil who said season tickets were predicted to be under 7000 had Mick continued. The relationship had broken down beyond repair.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:05]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:57 - Apr 16 with 2810 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:53 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

Don’t get me wrong. The numskulls are more than a little complicit in Mick being driven out of the club. But you are right to say that the relationship between manager and fans had become toxic.

However, Mick made no effort to reach out in order to repair the relationship. I was very much in the “Mick in” camp but was frustrated by what appeared to be an arrogance he portrayed towards the end. An attitude that suggested we were lucky to have him and that he should be given a free pass fir saving us from relegation under Jewell.

I think it was Phil who said season tickets were predicted to be under 7000 had Mick continued. The relationship had broken down beyond repair.

I fully agree that MM should have made it more clear more often that only some ITFC "followers" were whatever he chose to call them, he was very often too general in his comments on ITFC fans and therefore did not isolate those that deserved to be isolated.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:58 - Apr 16 with 2800 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:53 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

I don't disagree with that. I think the relationship was beyond repair and he had to go. I don't think Mick was really one for public relations especially, he sees his job as working with the players to get results. As we've seen with Lambert, nice words can be powerful too at times.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:01 - Apr 16 with 2796 viewsFtnfwest

Made his life a misery by giving him a million quid every year they must mean?
The media love Mick, he was the only thing they recognise from our club in recent years and we all know he did a good job keeping us competitive ish for the last few years but he simply wasn’t what we needed anymore and keeping him was losing a generation of fans (which we’ll struggle to keep in any event).
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:03 - Apr 16 with 2790 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Martin Samuel can Jog on now.

The News and the claim MM was our saviour has past - MM doesn't have any problem with us.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:04 - Apr 16 with 2785 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:01 - Apr 16 by Ftnfwest

Made his life a misery by giving him a million quid every year they must mean?
The media love Mick, he was the only thing they recognise from our club in recent years and we all know he did a good job keeping us competitive ish for the last few years but he simply wasn’t what we needed anymore and keeping him was losing a generation of fans (which we’ll struggle to keep in any event).

Out of curiosity, if we didn't need a manager who could keep us competitivein the Championship on a limited budget then what did we need?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:07 - Apr 16 with 2771 viewsrickw

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:04 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Out of curiosity, if we didn't need a manager who could keep us competitivein the Championship on a limited budget then what did we need?

I think the answer to that is someone who's football can inspire and gain us a new generation of fans, yes that hasn't happened yet but it was never going to happen under McCarthy.

If you think fans don't matter, would you say McCarthy would still be doing a good job by over-achieving keeping Ipswich up in League 2 whilst playing to 250 fans?
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:08]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:07 - Apr 16 with 2771 viewsPJH

That's a good question as would be "who would have been the person that a hell of a lot of clubs would have turned to in our situation last October?"
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:09 - Apr 16 with 2758 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:07 - Apr 16 by rickw

I think the answer to that is someone who's football can inspire and gain us a new generation of fans, yes that hasn't happened yet but it was never going to happen under McCarthy.

If you think fans don't matter, would you say McCarthy would still be doing a good job by over-achieving keeping Ipswich up in League 2 whilst playing to 250 fans?
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:08]

A new generation of fans isn't going to flock to watch League 1 football either.

Edit - just seen your edit and I haven't got a clue what you're on about. Re-reading the first part again it's all horribly vague as well.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:11]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:11 - Apr 16 with 2750 viewsrickw

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:09 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

A new generation of fans isn't going to flock to watch League 1 football either.

Edit - just seen your edit and I haven't got a clue what you're on about. Re-reading the first part again it's all horribly vague as well.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:11]

Attendances are already up, and if we mount a promotion challenge next season along with cheaper ticket prices I'd bet they'll be up again

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:11 - Apr 16 with 2736 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:58 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

I don't disagree with that. I think the relationship was beyond repair and he had to go. I don't think Mick was really one for public relations especially, he sees his job as working with the players to get results. As we've seen with Lambert, nice words can be powerful too at times.

Mick’s ability to find a good player fir peanuts is what has been missed most at this club imo. Had he been forced to sell Webster, Waghorn and Garner, whilst also losing DM, he’d have pulled a couple of irons out if the fire that Hurst was incapable of doing.

I’ve said before, Evans should have offered Mick good money to stay on in a director role responsible for recruitment.

Iron Lion Zion

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:12 - Apr 16 with 2746 viewsnoggin

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:07 - Apr 16 by PJH

That's a good question as would be "who would have been the person that a hell of a lot of clubs would have turned to in our situation last October?"

There is no football club without the fans. MM had lost the respect of thousands of fans and that couldn't continue. Time to move on and support Lambert.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:13 - Apr 16 with 2732 viewsrickw

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:11 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

Mick’s ability to find a good player fir peanuts is what has been missed most at this club imo. Had he been forced to sell Webster, Waghorn and Garner, whilst also losing DM, he’d have pulled a couple of irons out if the fire that Hurst was incapable of doing.

I’ve said before, Evans should have offered Mick good money to stay on in a director role responsible for recruitment.

He would have been good at that, however he'd never accept such a role, he likes to be with the players and if he accepts a director role it's like admitting you're finished as a coach

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:13 - Apr 16 with 2733 viewsnoggin

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:11 - Apr 16 by rickw

Attendances are already up, and if we mount a promotion challenge next season along with cheaper ticket prices I'd bet they'll be up again

The atmosphere will bring people through the gate too. I will definitely be coming over for a few games if the amazing atmosphere continues.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:15 - Apr 16 with 2722 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:12 - Apr 16 by noggin

There is no football club without the fans. MM had lost the respect of thousands of fans and that couldn't continue. Time to move on and support Lambert.

I very much support Lambert but MM will never lose my respect for what he did here and for as long as there are MM v fans debates I will be 100% with MM.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:17 - Apr 16 with 2717 viewsHerbivore

I guess we'll see on that one. Average attendance this season is up by around 1000 which is good, but that's been boosted by quite a large number of ticket promotions and several must win games. We'll see what happens next season, I don't think it's a given that everyone will renew their season ticket for League 1 football.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:19 - Apr 16 with 2713 viewsgrimboy

If things never changed at the club (manager wise) I and many many others would of stopped going McCarthy s football was dire to watch at times absolutely rubbish and the reaction of Norwich away by him was disgraceful from a manager.
Now this Hurst appointment could of worked and we could of survived this season then all is well but it-never and we got relegated as a town fan for many of years now, even in the good days, but that change had to happen and if going backwards to go forwards is the way then so be it.
Reporters don’t have a clue about us fans and what we wanted and had to endure McCarthy and his boring performances I for one am glad he is gone I couldn’t care what reporters say.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:19 - Apr 16 with 2708 viewsFtnfwest

We needed a change from the short termism that Micks reign was governed by from above and some sort of buy in to the club again. The competitiveness we achieved was more towards survival and didn’t include any sort of competitiveness in 2 of the 3 competitions we entered each year. Quite frankly I’d begun to hate what we seemed to be standing for and how we approached each season and some of that flak from a lot of people went MIcks way I think largely because of his attitude which was based around what he’d achieved, his record in the game etc etc and never any real relationship with the club or fans.
The change has cost us our place in the championship although mostly because of the owners poor record in both executive and managerial selection. I actually think the former more than the latter as I’ve blabbed on about endlessly elsewhere. When Hurst arrived who I knew very little about I was always considering that staying up was the simple target in year 1 and I do think that many got carried away in thinking he would improve upon Micks last season.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:20 - Apr 16 with 2696 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:58 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

And you can throw into the mix an invisible owner, which is ok if fans and manager are communicating well. But they obviously weren’t.

I think last season saw a total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

Iron Lion Zion

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:25 - Apr 16 with 2690 viewsJ4ck22

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 16 by blueislander

Well said. Why do people go to football? Is it to see their team win, or to be entertained?

Winning is my entertainment... What can be better than celebrating a win?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:28 - Apr 16 with 2688 viewsJ4ck22

I feel like the attendances are up mainly just to spite Mick since the performances and results have been nothing noteworthy since he left.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:33 - Apr 16 with 2674 viewsmonty_radio

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:52 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

If you didn't go to games you probably missed him being hounded out so you're not well placed to comment on that really. As for the rest, have you heard many interviews with Mick about Town since he left? He's very complimentary about the club and the majority of the fans and seems sad at how it ended. That doesn't fit the numbskull narrative though I guess.

The obnoxious chants were in place long before I stopped going; and so were Mick's increasingly bitter responses, which are a matter of public record. As you say, he has often been complimentary as well since, although he was unable to find that within himself while the fire was hot. Hanging on to the "hounded out" narrative is suppositional. Recognising that he was constitutionally unlikely to go quietly isn't.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:41 - Apr 16 with 2658 viewsgrimboy

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:13 - Apr 16 by noggin

The atmosphere will bring people through the gate too. I will definitely be coming over for a few games if the amazing atmosphere continues.

My mistake I down voted your posts by mistake.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:04 - Apr 16 with 2624 viewsblueislander

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:19 - Apr 16 by grimboy

If things never changed at the club (manager wise) I and many many others would of stopped going McCarthy s football was dire to watch at times absolutely rubbish and the reaction of Norwich away by him was disgraceful from a manager.
Now this Hurst appointment could of worked and we could of survived this season then all is well but it-never and we got relegated as a town fan for many of years now, even in the good days, but that change had to happen and if going backwards to go forwards is the way then so be it.
Reporters don’t have a clue about us fans and what we wanted and had to endure McCarthy and his boring performances I for one am glad he is gone I couldn’t care what reporters say.

I think I can just about understand that post. Is English your first language.?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024