Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From today's Daily Mail..... 08:11 - Apr 16 with 28601 viewsBluebell

I won't put up the link but this is taken from an article by Martin Samuel about Paul Pogba, Joey Barton and Mick McCarthy.....

"Meanwhile, at Ipswich, fans are jubilant having been relegated to League One less than halfway through April. They have to be.

Otherwise they must admit that, in the circumstances and given the budgetary restrictions, Mick McCarthy was doing a superb job keeping the club free of relegation trouble, and if the football was less than expansive, it was necessary to survive.

Instead, they made his life a misery and he quit. The managers that have succeeded him, Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert, have won a grand total of four games in all competitions this season.

McCarthy won more than that between August 5 and August 19, in his final campaign. He won 17 games in total before walking out, prematurely, with a 1-0 win over Barnsley. Yet to display unhappiness at an upcoming fixture list that may include trips to Scunthorpe and Rochdale next season would, in many cases, involve admitting being misguidedly harsh on McCarthy."

Makes you think, doesn't it?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:08 - Apr 16 with 3091 viewsgrimboy

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:04 - Apr 16 by blueislander

I think I can just about understand that post. Is English your first language.?

Is it an English exam?
Don’t read my posts if they offend you my little snowflake.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:15 - Apr 16 with 3095 viewscaught-in-limbo

The journo forgot to mention the humiliation broadcast live on national television meted out to us by Lincoln City as well as every other cup match and derby match we had under his tenure.

Apart from guiding us to safety on his arrival and a very well earned play-off finish on a tiny budget the rest of the McCarthy era was about finishing 15.

People talk about McCarthy's pragmatism, but is was almost a completely joyless affair with nothing to hope for for the last 5 years.

EDIT: Furthermore, the support given by the fans on Saturday was not so much about putting on a brave face after a relegation season, but more a display of hope for the future after years of meh.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 11:22]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:19 - Apr 16 with 3078 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:39 - Apr 16 by Bluebell

Evans taking on a lower division manager seemed to be what a lot of fans were calling for at the time.

Evans has never had a man with 'football' knowledge helping at the club. Ian Milne said the right things but hadn't got a clue.

If Evans had admitted, when things starting going badly wrong, that he needed help from someone like George Burley (or someone with insight of the club) we might not be starting next season in League 1. I am sure they would have advised not to get rid of all our strikers for a start!

I was certainly one of those Bluebell, but what happened afterwards with so many of our key players being sold and the large influx of L1 and L2 players largely unproven at Championship level was a bit of a shock. If we had replaced 'like for like' then I think we'd have stood more a chance to stay up, but so many players were expected to step up instantly which was asking for an awful lot and very shortsighted from PH and ME. A football man ala George Burley would've been an ideal appointment as a buffer between PH and ME, but alas no we continued to struggle on aimlessly through the dark, but unfortunately that reflects ME's tenure for me.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:22 - Apr 16 with 3071 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:19 - Apr 16 by christiand

I was certainly one of those Bluebell, but what happened afterwards with so many of our key players being sold and the large influx of L1 and L2 players largely unproven at Championship level was a bit of a shock. If we had replaced 'like for like' then I think we'd have stood more a chance to stay up, but so many players were expected to step up instantly which was asking for an awful lot and very shortsighted from PH and ME. A football man ala George Burley would've been an ideal appointment as a buffer between PH and ME, but alas no we continued to struggle on aimlessly through the dark, but unfortunately that reflects ME's tenure for me.

Some people still think Burley was the answer? Blimey.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:23 - Apr 16 with 3070 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:17 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

I guess we'll see on that one. Average attendance this season is up by around 1000 which is good, but that's been boosted by quite a large number of ticket promotions and several must win games. We'll see what happens next season, I don't think it's a given that everyone will renew their season ticket for League 1 football.

Don't forget Herbs that's to watch a team that has been at the foot of the table for most of the campaign. Not the most attractive of propositions, even with the ticket promotions.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 11:24]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:24 - Apr 16 with 3066 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:22 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Some people still think Burley was the answer? Blimey.

No, once again read what people actually write, not what you 'think' they have written!

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:24 - Apr 16 with 3060 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:24 - Apr 16 by christiand

No, once again read what people actually write, not what you 'think' they have written!

You were suggesting we should have brought Burley in to the club in some capacity, no?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:29 - Apr 16 with 3051 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:24 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

You were suggesting we should have brought Burley in to the club in some capacity, no?

Yes, but the way you were implying it was in a managerial capacity which it not what was being suggested. This hang up that's he's not been involved in the game for X amount of seasons is ridiculous. He's got many skills that make him ideal for that DoF role.

Login to get fewer ads

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 3051 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:15 - Apr 16 by caught-in-limbo

The journo forgot to mention the humiliation broadcast live on national television meted out to us by Lincoln City as well as every other cup match and derby match we had under his tenure.

Apart from guiding us to safety on his arrival and a very well earned play-off finish on a tiny budget the rest of the McCarthy era was about finishing 15.

People talk about McCarthy's pragmatism, but is was almost a completely joyless affair with nothing to hope for for the last 5 years.

EDIT: Furthermore, the support given by the fans on Saturday was not so much about putting on a brave face after a relegation season, but more a display of hope for the future after years of meh.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 11:22]

That's not true is it?

Under Mick we finished:

14th (the year he saved us from relegation)
9th
6th
7th
16th
12th (didn't complete season)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:33 - Apr 16 with 3038 viewsblueislander

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:08 - Apr 16 by grimboy

Is it an English exam?
Don’t read my posts if they offend you my little snowflake.

Sense of humour failure? Not quite sure to what the snowflake refers..
From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:39 - Apr 16 with 3030 viewsHarryWright

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:04 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Out of curiosity, if we didn't need a manager who could keep us competitivein the Championship on a limited budget then what did we need?

Define 'competitive' because as has been mentioned a fair few times in this thread we didn't win many games at all last season past august. It's sad that finishing mid table was seen as a 'great job'. Yes it's much better than this year but clearly this year has been awful.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:40 - Apr 16 with 3030 viewscaught-in-limbo

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:31 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

That's not true is it?

Under Mick we finished:

14th (the year he saved us from relegation)
9th
6th
7th
16th
12th (didn't complete season)

I've had to replace my sofa 5 times in the last 7 years because the edge of the seat is completely worn out.

You get the idea.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:54 - Apr 16 with 3017 viewsIllinoisblue

Christ almighty, we must be the only football club ever to change manager given the national media’s outrage about it. Samuel is normally pretty good but he’s repeatedly had his pen and keyboard wedged up mick’s ass on this.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:22 - Apr 16 with 2985 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:29 - Apr 16 by christiand

Yes, but the way you were implying it was in a managerial capacity which it not what was being suggested. This hang up that's he's not been involved in the game for X amount of seasons is ridiculous. He's got many skills that make him ideal for that DoF role.

Try reading what I wrote instead of what you thought I wrote. I'm interested in what you think he'd bring to the DoF role to be honest. He has no scouting network, his contacts in the game are mostly no longer in the game, recruitment was not necessarily his strongest suit as a manager. Aside from him knowing the club I don't know what you think the benefits are.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:40 - Apr 16 with 2973 viewsMullet

Good trolling Bellers.

It's been interesting that from the moment of relegation and leading up to, all I've seen regarding Mick is the people with the guiltiest consciences trying to head the debate off. After months of "stop bringing him up" when it was them doing it.

If Samuel was wrong, this thread would read entirely differently frankly. We look like idiots to the outside the world, and no they don't understand because getting rid of Mick so we could "win" from a league with not been in for six decades is fcuking lunacy.

Ignoring and placating Evans who is the main reason for all of this by the hand of his instrument Hurst, likewise.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:57 - Apr 16 with 2938 viewsjas0999

... from memory, we were more than a little fortunate to pick up as many points as we did early doors in that campaign. If it hasn’t have been for the good points haul early on we could have struggled.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:59 - Apr 16 with 2935 viewsMullet

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:57 - Apr 16 by jas0999

... from memory, we were more than a little fortunate to pick up as many points as we did early doors in that campaign. If it hasn’t have been for the good points haul early on we could have struggled.

Yeah if we hadn't have won games we'd not have been so high up the league or still in it even.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:05 - Apr 16 with 2911 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:57 - Apr 16 by jas0999

Yes, we luckily averaged 2.25 goals per game in winning those first four League games.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:27 - Apr 16 with 2879 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 11:39 - Apr 16 by HarryWright

Define 'competitive' because as has been mentioned a fair few times in this thread we didn't win many games at all last season past august. It's sad that finishing mid table was seen as a 'great job'. Yes it's much better than this year but clearly this year has been awful.

Competitive as in not really looking like finishing adrift at the bottom or even going down, being able to compete with and beat the majority of the sides in the league on any given day, at least flirting with the play offs in 4 out of 5 full seasons, even though we fizzled away in 3 of them. I'm not sure anyone has said finishing 12th last year was a 'great job' but it was decent and represented our second worst finish in Mick's full seasons here which suggests overall he did well. It's all moot though, the majority of fans acknowledge the time had come for him to go but there's some fairly incredible attempts to blame Mick for stuff and to make out things were worse under him when clearly that's not the case.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:34 - Apr 16 with 2864 viewsm14_blue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:40 - Apr 16 by Mullet

Good trolling Bellers.

It's been interesting that from the moment of relegation and leading up to, all I've seen regarding Mick is the people with the guiltiest consciences trying to head the debate off. After months of "stop bringing him up" when it was them doing it.

If Samuel was wrong, this thread would read entirely differently frankly. We look like idiots to the outside the world, and no they don't understand because getting rid of Mick so we could "win" from a league with not been in for six decades is fcuking lunacy.

Ignoring and placating Evans who is the main reason for all of this by the hand of his instrument Hurst, likewise.

I love Mick but this whole 'we look like idiots to the outside world' thing is massively overblown. It's the narrative in the media certainly but I don't think anyone else really cares.

We are a really patient fanbase and Mick was one of the longest serving managers around, it had gone a bit stale and the fans wanted a change, that's all there is to it. Hardly unusual in football, the only reason it's spoken about at all is because Mick's high profile.

Yes, some of our 'fans' behaved appallingly but very few people outside of Suffolk even know about that.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:39 - Apr 16 with 2850 viewsMullet

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:34 - Apr 16 by m14_blue

I love Mick but this whole 'we look like idiots to the outside world' thing is massively overblown. It's the narrative in the media certainly but I don't think anyone else really cares.

We are a really patient fanbase and Mick was one of the longest serving managers around, it had gone a bit stale and the fans wanted a change, that's all there is to it. Hardly unusual in football, the only reason it's spoken about at all is because Mick's high profile.

Yes, some of our 'fans' behaved appallingly but very few people outside of Suffolk even know about that.

Pretty much every neutral has asked why we got rid of him, whether that's the media's creation or not is irrelevant.

I think it's spoken about as much because of the club as Mick, because the whole thing has been utterly unusual. Especially any 2-bit journo scrolling through social media will see the evolution of the narrative and vitriol and amplify it.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:44 - Apr 16 with 2835 viewsm14_blue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:39 - Apr 16 by Mullet

Pretty much every neutral has asked why we got rid of him, whether that's the media's creation or not is irrelevant.

I think it's spoken about as much because of the club as Mick, because the whole thing has been utterly unusual. Especially any 2-bit journo scrolling through social media will see the evolution of the narrative and vitriol and amplify it.

Fair enough, I haven't had the same experience but it's true that lots of people get their knowledge of football through vacuous idiots like Samuel.

I think most true football fans would understand why the change was needed, even if it has backfired spectacularly.

Many of our fans weren't enjoying going to games any more, that's reason enough for them to want change in my eyes.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:51 - Apr 16 with 2820 viewsStewart27

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:27 - Apr 16 by Bluebell

Of course it is about enjoyment but have you enjoyed watching Town lose week in and week out because I certainly haven't?

We have played 42 games this season and won 4. Can you honestly say you have 'enjoyed' that?

No. I don’t enjoy losing.

However, I certainly didn’t enjoy the last 3 years of Mick’s tenure either. Am I happier now than this time last season? Yes I genuinely am.

The penny dropped for me on Saturday when I saw my little boy enjoy himself and bounce off the atmosphere that the North lower created, which elevated to the upper tier where we were sat. A year ago the atmosphere was toxic and I saw no hope of anything improving. Now I am looking forward to getting my boy’s first season ticket next year and my first for many years. I wasn’t lucky enough to be around during Sir Bobby’s days but was fortunate enough to see the Burley era. Mick took me into a stale nothingness for ITFC and was saddened by the thought of spending father and son time watching that dross in front a silent Portman Road after witnessing some great days myself.

We could keep ‘staying up’ year after year and getting the wins that you speak about to keep us in the championship but the rot would have set in even more so - especially under our awful owner who is to blame for this IMHO.

I’m looking forward to next season. The don’t think we’ll bounce straight back personally but we’ll win more than we lose and I’m looking forward to the ride!
From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:54 - Apr 16 with 2811 viewschristiand

From today's Daily Mail..... on 12:22 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Try reading what I wrote instead of what you thought I wrote. I'm interested in what you think he'd bring to the DoF role to be honest. He has no scouting network, his contacts in the game are mostly no longer in the game, recruitment was not necessarily his strongest suit as a manager. Aside from him knowing the club I don't know what you think the benefits are.

Again in your opinion, but you like me don't know GB or his contacts in the game so a bit of an empty statement. For me, the DoF role is about building relationships and having that connection between the manager and owner, something I could see GB doing very well. In addition, GB is a good connection for the fans, he understands the ethos of the club, it's history and will have a good appreciation of the fans' frustrations. GB was always very good with young talent too, if that's the avenue we're going down even more important he has those links with Klug and the Academy to fast track potential talent, PL might not have the time with his focus on the first team. There's plenty that he could offer not just experience.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 15:14]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:54 - Apr 16 with 2813 viewsMullet

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:44 - Apr 16 by m14_blue

Fair enough, I haven't had the same experience but it's true that lots of people get their knowledge of football through vacuous idiots like Samuel.

I think most true football fans would understand why the change was needed, even if it has backfired spectacularly.

Many of our fans weren't enjoying going to games any more, that's reason enough for them to want change in my eyes.

That was largely down to entitlement and a sense that more and more fans were coming to games waiting for something to kick off about by the end, and that grew from a small start. There became this delusion we not only could and should do better but deserved it, that the rest of the league were somehow totally different to us.

Look back at the Chambers interview on Douglas feeling like sh1t because of the abuse, now add that to the whole team and Mick for months on end. It's no wonder we struggled when our fans were p1ssing in for so long, more and more.

Look at Jas' comment, even now people are still trying to dismiss MM etc.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024