Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From today's Daily Mail..... 08:11 - Apr 16 with 28377 viewsBluebell

I won't put up the link but this is taken from an article by Martin Samuel about Paul Pogba, Joey Barton and Mick McCarthy.....

"Meanwhile, at Ipswich, fans are jubilant having been relegated to League One less than halfway through April. They have to be.

Otherwise they must admit that, in the circumstances and given the budgetary restrictions, Mick McCarthy was doing a superb job keeping the club free of relegation trouble, and if the football was less than expansive, it was necessary to survive.

Instead, they made his life a misery and he quit. The managers that have succeeded him, Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert, have won a grand total of four games in all competitions this season.

McCarthy won more than that between August 5 and August 19, in his final campaign. He won 17 games in total before walking out, prematurely, with a 1-0 win over Barnsley. Yet to display unhappiness at an upcoming fixture list that may include trips to Scunthorpe and Rochdale next season would, in many cases, involve admitting being misguidedly harsh on McCarthy."

Makes you think, doesn't it?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 17:53 - Apr 16 with 2410 viewseireblue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 17:39 - Apr 16 by blueislander

If you can’t see the difference between pumping balls into channels, and playing accurate passes to a target man, then there is no point continuing this discussion. See PJH’s post below. He and I did watch Town in the 70s so I think some credence can be given to our opinions.

Is that somewhat a reflection on the quality of player.

The intent maybe the same, direct quick ball, in a manner that favours the recipients strengths.

Chambo and Murphy just weren’t as quick, composed, accurate and generally less skilful.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 18:00 - Apr 16 with 2387 viewsblueislander

From today's Daily Mail..... on 17:19 - Apr 16 by PJH

That is a very accurate summary of how we played in the middle phase of SBR's reign from about the time that he established us as a top division side until the Dutchmen arrived.
We did have the best target man that we ever had for the start of that time and once Trevor Whymark was no longer here Paul Mariner was excellent at it.

You mentioned in your earlier post about the "traditions" of the club, I am always intrigued when that gets mentioned because I am not sure exactly what they are.

The only time that I think ITFC were a true pure footballing side was when we had the two wonderful Dutchmen along with a hell of a lot of other talent and we played through midfield rather than over it.

You are absolutely right to question what are the traditions of the club. I have to confess that I don’t think I can provide an accurate and dinitive answer. Ask that question to others who have supported the club as long as we have, and I reckon you would get a range of answers. I guess that it is a personal thing, and you kind of know what it is. A pathetic explanation I confess.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 18:00 - Apr 16 with 2385 viewsmrshallisfit

From today's Daily Mail..... on 09:07 - Apr 16 by PJH

Well you know my answer to that one.

If you can have both then fine but....

There are a lot of lily-livered supporters in denial on here. They hounded Mick and it has gone horribly wrong (predictably) ever since. They say they have got their club back. Actually, they are just full of sh#t.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:11 - Apr 16 with 2337 viewsbluejacko

From today's Daily Mail..... on 18:00 - Apr 16 by mrshallisfit

There are a lot of lily-livered supporters in denial on here. They hounded Mick and it has gone horribly wrong (predictably) ever since. They say they have got their club back. Actually, they are just full of sh#t.

What is wrong with you people?
He was NOT hounded out of any bloody club! The majority of chants were nothing more tha your footie is sh1t,yes at the end it did get personal from a very few. But for gods sake he left in a strop after getting booed subbing one of the better players on the night. It was all a show for his media mates showing how us country bumpkins treated him and how ungrateful we were to the mighty MM.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:16 - Apr 16 with 2330 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 18:00 - Apr 16 by blueislander

You are absolutely right to question what are the traditions of the club. I have to confess that I don’t think I can provide an accurate and dinitive answer. Ask that question to others who have supported the club as long as we have, and I reckon you would get a range of answers. I guess that it is a personal thing, and you kind of know what it is. A pathetic explanation I confess.

It used to be the way that the Cobbold's ran the club but club's cannot be run like that any more.
It can never really have been playing style because over the years playing style has generally been adapted to try to make the best use of the personnel available.
It was "giving the managers time" but that no longer applies either at ITFC or most anywhere else.

In fact "traditional football" if you look back to the 1960's and 1970's no longer exists.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:18 - Apr 16 with 2322 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:11 - Apr 16 by bluejacko

He was NOT hounded out of any bloody club! The majority of chants were nothing more tha your footie is sh1t,yes at the end it did get personal from a very few. But for gods sake he left in a strop after getting booed subbing one of the better players on the night. It was all a show for his media mates showing how us country bumpkins treated him and how ungrateful we were to the mighty MM.

I think you need to put "because he was knackered" after "one of the better players on the night".
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 19:21]
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:19 - Apr 16 with 2321 viewsSpruceMoose

Glossing over the part where he was called a paedophile there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:31 - Apr 16 with 2307 viewsGlasgowBlue

He was hounded out of the club. It had been agreed he would be leaving at the end of the season and we were in no danger of being relegated so he should have been given the send of he deserved for his service to the club.

But that wasn't good enough for a certain section of so called supporters. He was treated shamefully and called a paedophile FFS.

EDIT. Beaten to it by Sprucey.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 19:32]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:36 - Apr 16 with 2301 viewsSpruceMoose

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:31 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

He was hounded out of the club. It had been agreed he would be leaving at the end of the season and we were in no danger of being relegated so he should have been given the send of he deserved for his service to the club.

But that wasn't good enough for a certain section of so called supporters. He was treated shamefully and called a paedophile FFS.

This is correct and a very good point GB. It seems conveniently forgotten that he was going anyway, there was no need to try and force him out.

The dignified thing to do would have been to let him see out his term here, thank him for his work over the years and to go our separate ways. It was time to go in a different direction, there's no doubt about that, but the childish raging from a number of fans who seemed hell bent on creating some drama and then inserting themselves into the middle of it was shameful. Let's be honest, a lot of those 'fans' seemed more concerned with increasing their own Twitter profile than doing what would have been right by the club.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:40 - Apr 16 with 2291 viewsGlasgowBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:36 - Apr 16 by SpruceMoose

This is correct and a very good point GB. It seems conveniently forgotten that he was going anyway, there was no need to try and force him out.

The dignified thing to do would have been to let him see out his term here, thank him for his work over the years and to go our separate ways. It was time to go in a different direction, there's no doubt about that, but the childish raging from a number of fans who seemed hell bent on creating some drama and then inserting themselves into the middle of it was shameful. Let's be honest, a lot of those 'fans' seemed more concerned with increasing their own Twitter profile than doing what would have been right by the club.

That's the part that I will never understand.

Fair enough people wanting him gone, and yes it was time for a new direction. But the pure hatred directed at him even after it was announced he was going when there was nothing left to play for is incomprehensible.

A lot of people let themselves down during that period.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:42 - Apr 16 with 2289 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:40 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

Fair enough people wanting him gone, and yes it was time for a new direction. But the pure hatred directed at him even after it was announced he was going when there was nothing left to play for is incomprehensible.

It was pathetic. He should have been given a decent send off, not treated like he was.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:44 - Apr 16 with 2286 viewsSpruceMoose

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:40 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

I've been supporting Town since childhood. I've got deep roots and connections to the town itself. Yet I can never imagine developing feelings of hatred for an employee of the club, even if I considered them to be doing an appalling job. I guess I have more grown up, real world concerns to focus on.

Some folk seem to take football far too seriously and as such behave in ways that shame them. Not only did a lot of people let themselves down during that period, but they've played a part in tarnishing a reputation that club and fans alike had cultivated for years.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 20:01]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:45 - Apr 16 with 2286 viewsPJH

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:42 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

It was pathetic. He should have been given a decent send off, not treated like he was.

It was disgusting and it made me ashamed to be associated with those people in any way.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:57 - Apr 16 with 2269 viewsbluejacko

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:31 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yes it had been decided BUT in his rant after the game he said the fans were booing Cotter not him,and he had had enough of booing of young players (which did not happen) It was an excuse as I have said to make us look bad not him for going out in a strop. Did he make any attempt at all to make any sort of peace before he went?No he did not! If you think it was done in any other way than to protect his own profile so be it.
And I did say the very few who personally abused him were well out of order and should be ashamed of themselves.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:59 - Apr 16 with 2268 viewsSpruceMoose

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:57 - Apr 16 by bluejacko

Yes it had been decided BUT in his rant after the game he said the fans were booing Cotter not him,and he had had enough of booing of young players (which did not happen) It was an excuse as I have said to make us look bad not him for going out in a strop. Did he make any attempt at all to make any sort of peace before he went?No he did not! If you think it was done in any other way than to protect his own profile so be it.
And I did say the very few who personally abused him were well out of order and should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, if fans were worried they were being made to look bad by MM, calling him a paedophile really showed the country that they were a reasonable bunch.

From today's Daily Mail..... on 20:07 - Apr 16 with 2253 viewsmrshallisfit

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:57 - Apr 16 by bluejacko

AsI said earlier. In denial and full of sh#t.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 20:13 - Apr 16 with 2243 viewsbluefunk

From today's Daily Mail..... on 19:59 - Apr 16 by SpruceMoose

Well, if fans were worried they were being made to look bad by MM, calling him a paedophile really showed the country that they were a reasonable bunch.

Part of the problem here is that anyone critical of McCarthy gets lumped in with those who abused him. I have never once booed or abused him, or any player or manager for that matter, yet in my opinion, McCarthy left the club in a poor position, with a squad very low on numbers, something which caused Hurst a real problem as he tried to build a squad ( his gross ineptitude, arrogance and bizzare decision making didn’t help). The clubs disconnect with the fans happened on MMs watch (not solely his fault but his belligerence was a contributory factor) and last season was a turgid experience rescued by Waghorns goals - that’s just my opinion. For perspective, I have watched Town since 1965, so I feel I have a right to a balanced opinion, rather than being shouted down on a forum by those in danger of following the approach of the fans they profess to detest
From today's Daily Mail..... on 20:21 - Apr 16 with 2236 viewsSpruceMoose

From today's Daily Mail..... on 20:13 - Apr 16 by bluefunk

Part of the problem here is that anyone critical of McCarthy gets lumped in with those who abused him. I have never once booed or abused him, or any player or manager for that matter, yet in my opinion, McCarthy left the club in a poor position, with a squad very low on numbers, something which caused Hurst a real problem as he tried to build a squad ( his gross ineptitude, arrogance and bizzare decision making didn’t help). The clubs disconnect with the fans happened on MMs watch (not solely his fault but his belligerence was a contributory factor) and last season was a turgid experience rescued by Waghorns goals - that’s just my opinion. For perspective, I have watched Town since 1965, so I feel I have a right to a balanced opinion, rather than being shouted down on a forum by those in danger of following the approach of the fans they profess to detest

There's space to be critical of Mick. I may be wrong, but I don't think I've seen anyone on here claim that they wanted him to stay. It was 100% the right time to make a change. Everyone new that, and it was going to happen.

It's two separate issues really. Yes it was time for him to go, but how it happened didn't reflect well on some people and is the part which I feel upset a lot of other Town fans.

Yes, Mick was belligerent. He always was, and that contributed, over time, to how the majority of fans saw him. When things were going ok I think it was sometimes brushed off as 'good old Mick the grumpy buugger', but when times were bad it became this big thing that some people took way too personally. The problem I have is that a small section of fans took it way too far and got way too much coverage considering how small they were in number.

It was all just so unnecessary. He was going anyway, but us more normal types got lumped in with the poo flinging outraged and made to also look bad. It didn't reflect on Mick at all, and in fact probably helped disguise that he wasn't all that chipper and friendly towards the fan base himself towards the end.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 20:22]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 00:03 - Apr 17 with 2174 viewsGarv

From today's Daily Mail..... on 13:54 - Apr 16 by Mullet

That was largely down to entitlement and a sense that more and more fans were coming to games waiting for something to kick off about by the end, and that grew from a small start. There became this delusion we not only could and should do better but deserved it, that the rest of the league were somehow totally different to us.

Look back at the Chambers interview on Douglas feeling like sh1t because of the abuse, now add that to the whole team and Mick for months on end. It's no wonder we struggled when our fans were p1ssing in for so long, more and more.

Look at Jas' comment, even now people are still trying to dismiss MM etc.

It was largely down to the majority of a fanbase speaking their minds and some voting with their feet. You can't dismiss it as entitlement. The very fact that we went down on Saturday with the North Stand singing their hearts out and clapping the players off proves that.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 00:13 - Apr 17 with 2166 viewsGarv

From today's Daily Mail..... on 16:48 - Apr 16 by Mullet

We had the Exeter debacle right after and Accrington, with people explaining away the manager's conduct and comments and blaming Chambers etc.

If you ever actually watch us going back then you'll see that we played "hoofball" as much as anyone else and McCarthy never did. A long ball over the top was present under Sir Bobby (especially pre-Dutchmen) a key feature of Lyall, and Burley used it to - it's not the same as Beck or Boothroyd style football where the term hoofball comes from.

The hypocrisy of fans being selective is exactly the problem much discussed and dismissed by those who aren't actually interested in the footballing aspect.

You're right. Hoof ball can sometimes be entertaining. What McCarthy served up was a different brand altogether.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

From today's Daily Mail..... on 06:15 - Apr 17 with 2134 viewsBenters2

From today's Daily Mail..... on 00:13 - Apr 17 by Garv

You're right. Hoof ball can sometimes be entertaining. What McCarthy served up was a different brand altogether.

I agree with you, Mick Mac made me hate going to watch Towen play.
From today's Daily Mail..... on 06:22 - Apr 17 with 2136 viewsBrixtonBlue

From today's Daily Mail..... on 17:51 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Because this season without him provides a meaningful comparison maybe? Plus you're quite happy to just make stuff up, like only having one shot in home games, so I'm not sure you get to referee the debate.

As posted above, there were two games where we had ZERO shots on target.

Your memory is failing you Herbs.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:25 - Apr 17 with 2079 viewsbluejacko

From today's Daily Mail..... on 20:07 - Apr 16 by mrshallisfit

AsI said earlier. In denial and full of sh#t.

Well not seeing the wood for the trees spring to mind,would you care to actually elaborate were my facts are wrong or are you just going to sling more insults?
From today's Daily Mail..... on 08:30 - Apr 17 with 2076 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 06:22 - Apr 17 by BrixtonBlue

As posted above, there were two games where we had ZERO shots on target.

Your memory is failing you Herbs.

In which games did we have zero shots on target? Have a look at our stats from many of our home games this season, it doesn't make pretty reading. Frequently only 1 to 3 shots on target. Against Wigan and Rotherham we mustered 5 shots in total across the two matches.

EDIT - I decided to have a look into this and there were no games last season where we managed ZERO shots on target at Portman Road. In fact only once did we register fewer than two shots on target in a game at PR, and that was the absolutely awful game against Burton where we only managed one shot on target (no argument from me, that was one of the very worst of the MM era). Contrast that with this season we've managed to have only one shot on target on 5 occasions, roughly a quarter of our home games (granted only 2 of those games were under Lambert).

To contrast Lambert's and MM's records at Portman Road directly, under Mick last season we averaged 11.9 shots per games with 3.95 on target and scoring 1.29 goals per game. Under Lambert this season we're averaging 10.86 shots per game, with 3.07 on target, scoring 1 goal per game.

So basically it's not true that we are creating loads more under Lambert than we did under Mick, we're creating and scoring less. The most shots we've managed at PR under Lambert is 17, in a game where we scored 1 goal. Under Mick we created 20 in one game and scored 5. This is why I talk about collective delusion, Dollers. Everyone wants it to be great under Lambert to such an extent that they've convinced themselves that it actually is great. The facts don't lie, however.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 9:59]

From today's Daily Mail..... on 10:01 - Apr 17 with 2036 viewsHerbivore

From today's Daily Mail..... on 15:41 - Apr 16 by BrixtonBlue

Either you're deluded or rewriting history Herbs. We used to go several games with only a few shots under Mick. I remember waiting until the 70th minute waiting for a shot on target under Mick. We're having lots more shots under Lambert. Didn't we recently have something like 22 shots in a game? You'd wait a few months for that many under Mick.

Hi Dollers, see my edited response to you above. Essentially everything in your post is incorrect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024