Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some 10:17 - Apr 16 with 2189 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

We may have won 4 games out of 42 this season, but when you look at the last 12 games, a far better measurement of where we currently are than the season, which includes pre-Lambert, we have drawn 7 of those matches 1-1.

This includes a Derby, West Brom, Bristol City all going for the playoffs and Forest and Birmingham who were not far off for large parts of the season (the latter until a points deduction).

We are now a pretty competitive Championship side that is just lacking a bit of quality in the final third or being punished for the odd lapse in concentration. Most teams that go down do so because they are nowhere near good enough.

We will find ourselves in League One, with pretty much the squad we now have, as a team that could hold it's own but just couldn't quite win games. We will no longer be up against teams that are as likely to punish the odd lapse in concentration, we will be against teams we won't have to be as clinical against.

Of our grand total of 4 wins this year we have beaten Bolton (going down with us) and Rotherham and Wigan (one of whom will join us). These are going to be amongst the best teams in League One.

It's not going to be a 100 point season but you look at Luton who have had a 20 match unbeaten run, Sunderland have had a 20 match unbeaten run (and they were a mess last year) and Barnsley put together something like a 20 match unbeaten run.

The notion that we will go down, as a reasonable Championship side that can hold teams that might be in the Premier League next year, but we will somehow struggle is unfounded.

We will be very strong in the division below, unusually so, we have a manager that's been there and done it at that level, a very decent squad for that level and one of the biggest attendances and budgets (even if it is massively slashed).

I'm nothing but positive about next year. A genuine chance to see a winning, successful season with plenty of our own players involved.

The bottom half of League One shows how bad half of that division is. There is absolutely no reason at all why we won't be one of the strongest teams in the division and I reckon it may really do us all the world of good.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 10:48 - Apr 16 with 2095 viewsBent_double

Loving the positivity!

Like you, I struggle to comprehend those who think we will struggle. We have no idea what the squad/team will look like come August, still don't know all the other teams who will be in L1 with us, so why not be positive - at least for the first dozen games or so - if we've only won a handful of games at that point, then we can start to get anxious.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 10:50 - Apr 16 with 2087 viewsKieran_Knows

I think the one bit of hope I take in to League 1 is that Rotherham - who were absolutely sh*te a couple of years, probably even worse than us - came back up at the first attempt, albeit via the play offs.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:51]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 10:58 - Apr 16 with 2039 viewstextbackup

the 2 extremes are really driving me nuts.

on one side some think we are destined for mid table L1 finishes for the next 10 years, the other side are scripting their own downfalls by writing on various FB pages about how we'll storm the league.

i'm just going to embrace it for what it is, football at a lower level with a chance for us to regroup and start again. we've been heading this way for years and now its happened.

a top 6 finish next year is my personal aim, and i think it very achievable

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:00 - Apr 16 with 2029 viewsSWGF

We need to find far more goals (and goal attempts) than we've managed in the last 3 or 4 months to make an impact. Whether that's a change in formation to allow Judge to play more centrally or for more strikers to be on the pitch at the same time, or a change in personnel so we make more of the few chances we create.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:05 - Apr 16 with 2010 viewsGuthrum

Looking at how much our former League One recruits (all with decent records at that level) have struggled to get up to speed in the Championship this season suggests the gulf in quality between the divisions (greater than it possibly used to be).

That cuts both ways. Our Youths and "average" players will have an advantage when we go down.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:07 - Apr 16 with 1981 viewsITFC_Forever

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:00 - Apr 16 by SWGF

We need to find far more goals (and goal attempts) than we've managed in the last 3 or 4 months to make an impact. Whether that's a change in formation to allow Judge to play more centrally or for more strikers to be on the pitch at the same time, or a change in personnel so we make more of the few chances we create.

(Last 3 or 4 years)

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:12 - Apr 16 with 1951 viewsSWGF

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:07 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

(Last 3 or 4 years)

Well, yes. I was comparing to Lambert's early matches where we were seemingly creating more chances than we have done since Xmas. I might, statistically, be wrong in this respect.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:13 - Apr 16 with 1939 viewsFtnfwest

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 10:58 - Apr 16 by textbackup

on one side some think we are destined for mid table L1 finishes for the next 10 years, the other side are scripting their own downfalls by writing on various FB pages about how we'll storm the league.

i'm just going to embrace it for what it is, football at a lower level with a chance for us to regroup and start again. we've been heading this way for years and now its happened.

Agree with this. I'm personally setting up for a 2-3 year stay down there if i'm honest and anything better would be a bonus. Apparently that makes me 'jubilant' to be relegated. What i am positive about is the hope above hope that the club takes better decisions for the future
Login to get fewer ads

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 11:25 - Apr 16 with 1903 viewsRadlett_blue

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 10:58 - Apr 16 by textbackup

Exsctly. I think we will need a period of adjustment to League 1 football & its greater physicality, especially the younger players. Hence we will need a more solid spine & defence.
There will also be a level of expectation in home games that we're going to score plenty of goals & win every week.
Away games won't be easy as we will be seen as a prize scalp.
However, I don't think we need too many new personnel to be top 6. A proper, reliable target man is an absolute must, but we are unlikely to be able to afford to bring in many players who are better than what we already have.
The squad will be far smaller next season

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:18 - Apr 16 with 1657 viewsGeoffSentence

I see us as becoming a PNE, Millwall or Barnsley type of club now. A few years in League one, then a few in the championship and so on and so forth.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:41 - Apr 16 with 1627 viewsWhymarkmariner

I agree with you totally. I'm sure on Talksport that within the last week they said that in Division One with only a month of matches left that every team from 8th down could be demoted. Surely we aren't that bad? Obviously the last thing we want to do is assume that we have a divine right to romp Division One. We obviously need a goalscorer, but maybe some of the players that haven't ripped up the Championship can at least score a few in this Division.
I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:43 - Apr 16 with 1620 viewsbraveblue

Take out Pennington and Chabolah though. Of course, Evans is going to invest where required!!
I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:48 - Apr 16 with 1605 viewsOxford_Blue

Agreed but the huge problem we have is that we can’t score enough goals. This is what has caused us to be relegated.

Unless we fix this, and I appreciate that it might be easier to do at a lower level, we are going to struggle.
I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:53 - Apr 16 with 1591 viewsSE1blue

I'm struggling with the levels of negativity around next season by some on 14:48 - Apr 16 by Oxford_Blue

Agreed but the huge problem we have is that we can’t score enough goals. This is what has caused us to be relegated.

Unless we fix this, and I appreciate that it might be easier to do at a lower level, we are going to struggle.

I also agree with the OP and am really positive about the forthcoming season but I'd also add that the defence needs serious attention.

A lot of people are saying a striker will solve our problems but the defence has been woeful at times and still has moments of utter stupidity under the slightest pressure. If we are to persist with Chambers, we desperately need to get a wise Mowbray/Venus type in better condition than Collins.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024