Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One 13:55 - Apr 16 with 1515 viewsNewsTWTD

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/35899/chambers-well-be-seen-as-a-scalp-i

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 1416 viewsTrequartista

Ha the excuses have started early

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 15:26 - Apr 16 with 1392 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't want to see rubbish like this. I feel sorry for Chambers etc having to lay it on thick every time they have a microphone shoved in their face.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 18:04 - Apr 16 with 1329 viewsOxford_Blue

A bit arrogant to already be proclaiming how big we will be.

Let’s see how we do next season.

This one hasn’t exactly been good.
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 19:03 - Apr 16 with 1282 viewsgainsboroughblue

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 18:04 - Apr 16 by Oxford_Blue

1. He was probably asked a leading question.
2. Answered it.
3. Quoted in the media as if he randomly phoned up a journo and proclaimed it.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 21:50 - Apr 16 with 1221 viewsOxford_Blue

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 19:03 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

1. He was probably asked a leading question.
2. Answered it.
3. Quoted in the media as if he randomly phoned up a journo and proclaimed it.

1. You are speculating. Even if he was, he’s a club captain and has had ample experience of dealing with the media.

2. He answered it using words that I think are arrogant, and could come back to bite him. It suggests that he thinks the club are bigger and better than others in that league. Even if we are, now is the time to eat humble pie.

3. A difference without a distinction. He said it in a formal interview. He chose those words.
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 22:13 - Apr 16 with 1185 viewsArnieM

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 21:50 - Apr 16 by Oxford_Blue

1. You are speculating. Even if he was, he’s a club captain and has had ample experience of dealing with the media.

2. He answered it using words that I think are arrogant, and could come back to bite him. It suggests that he thinks the club are bigger and better than others in that league. Even if we are, now is the time to eat humble pie.

3. A difference without a distinction. He said it in a formal interview. He chose those words.

Yes exactly. I think the minaret fit next season is all wrong. We really do need to play this down - a lot!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 22:18 - Apr 16 with 1179 viewsPJH

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 18:04 - Apr 16 by Oxford_Blue

We will be seen as a big scalp though because of who we are (or were).
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 05:28 - Apr 17 with 1086 viewsIPS_wich

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 22:18 - Apr 16 by PJH

We will be seen as a big scalp though because of who we are (or were).

Will we though - or is this our inflated sense of importance.

Let's say we get relegated with Bolton and Wigan plus Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton fail to get promoted. Along with Blackpool that will be six teams in League One who have been in the premier league more recently and three teams (Wigan, Portsmouth and Coventry) who have won the FA Cup more recently (plus Sunderland got to the FA Cup final in 92).

Granted we will be the only European trophy winners in the league - but the only player playing in the league who was born when we won the UEFA would need to be at least 38 years old.

I suspect compared to having had the likes of Man City, Sunderland and Leeds in League One in the last 16 years we would be seen as a modest scalp at that - especially if Sunderland stay down.

My biggest concern is that the club (and Chambers' comments confirm this) and our fans go into next year with an inflated sense of worth - because just think who we've lost to in the last ten years in the cups:

2009 - Peterborough (league cup)
2011 - Northampton (league cup)
2012 - Carlisle (league cup)
2013 - Stevenage (league cup)
2014 - Crawley (league cup)
2016 - Stevenage (league cup)
2017 - Lincoln (FA cup)
2018 - Exeter (league cup)
2019 - Accrington (FA cup)
Login to get fewer ads

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 07:34 - Apr 17 with 1040 viewsOxford_Blue

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 05:28 - Apr 17 by IPS_wich

Will we though - or is this our inflated sense of importance.

Let's say we get relegated with Bolton and Wigan plus Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton fail to get promoted. Along with Blackpool that will be six teams in League One who have been in the premier league more recently and three teams (Wigan, Portsmouth and Coventry) who have won the FA Cup more recently (plus Sunderland got to the FA Cup final in 92).

Granted we will be the only European trophy winners in the league - but the only player playing in the league who was born when we won the UEFA would need to be at least 38 years old.

I suspect compared to having had the likes of Man City, Sunderland and Leeds in League One in the last 16 years we would be seen as a modest scalp at that - especially if Sunderland stay down.

My biggest concern is that the club (and Chambers' comments confirm this) and our fans go into next year with an inflated sense of worth - because just think who we've lost to in the last ten years in the cups:

2009 - Peterborough (league cup)
2011 - Northampton (league cup)
2012 - Carlisle (league cup)
2013 - Stevenage (league cup)
2014 - Crawley (league cup)
2016 - Stevenage (league cup)
2017 - Lincoln (FA cup)
2018 - Exeter (league cup)
2019 - Accrington (FA cup)

Agree.

Our period of success is now almost at least 40 years ago, which means it isn’t in living memory of many fans the way it was in, say, the 1990s.

Also, let’s be honest, we won just two trophies with Robson, and whilst he produced a very good side, which was a competitive force in English football for a decade, it never won the league or European Cup and almost certainly failed to reach its potential especially as we all know in 1980-81.

I don’t think it helps to talk ourselves up. We would better to be humble and modest, especially before a ball has been kicked and whilst we are at the closing stage of a disastrous season.
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 07:46 - Apr 17 with 1032 viewspeterleeblue

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 07:34 - Apr 17 by Oxford_Blue

Agree.

Our period of success is now almost at least 40 years ago, which means it isn’t in living memory of many fans the way it was in, say, the 1990s.

Also, let’s be honest, we won just two trophies with Robson, and whilst he produced a very good side, which was a competitive force in English football for a decade, it never won the league or European Cup and almost certainly failed to reach its potential especially as we all know in 1980-81.

I don’t think it helps to talk ourselves up. We would better to be humble and modest, especially before a ball has been kicked and whilst we are at the closing stage of a disastrous season.

Agree to. I hope we slip under the radar. Just a standard away game at say Luton for most visiting teams.
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 08:17 - Apr 17 with 1019 viewsPJH

Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 07:34 - Apr 17 by Oxford_Blue

Agree.

I don't think Chambers is talking us up, just stating reality in my opinion.
Obviously it is a long time since ITFC were one of the top teams in the Country but the fact that we were once makes us a big scalp in my opinion.
I know that there has to be a limit to how far you go back with this but I think that our history is still recent enough to make us a big name in League One.

It must be recent because I can remember it all!
Chambers: We'll Be Seen as a Scalp in League One on 08:18 - Apr 17 with 1018 viewsBackToRussia

We're gonna get scalped.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024