Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 90237 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:18 - Apr 19 with 3237 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:34 - Apr 19 by Ryorry

Who has been smugly sneering?

J2, Lucan & myself have simply said that we think there are more effective ways of achieving the end goal than by blocking people going about the daily, in some cases very serious, aspects of their lives. For which we've received a lot of pretty unfair stick, and I really don't know why. Perhaps some people on here are just sh1t scared of the future for the planet, and therefore the topic stresses them. Well fair enough, but it does me too, and I'm late 60s & don't even have kids!!

I didn't say the three of you were the ones sneering.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 00:51 - Apr 20 with 3198 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:33 - Apr 19 by J2BLUE

No smug sneering. Some of us have just disagreed with their methods. It's called empathy for the people affected. Ryorry was worried about someone stuck in the car for a long time in pain. I felt sorry for anyone affected at the airports who may have been visiting family on a few rare and precious days off together which I believe is something you enjoyed recently? You said it would have pissed you off if it had affected you. I was simply extending that empathy to anyone else affected. I am lucky enough to have my close family within a mile or two and most of my extended family within an hour or two.

We're disagreeing about the method, not the fact they are taking action. I know it's an important issue and people will say you need to break a few eggs etc but ordinary people getting away for a few days are the wrong target IMO.

There seems to be a misconception that if we disagree with the method or the targets we are somehow too stupid to see how big an issue it is.

Exactly, spot on - I was struggling to express it, thanks for doing so a great deal better!

The guy in the car btw was someone having daily radiotherapy for cancer in his spine, in agony because his usual 10 minute journey to UCLH for the treatment took 90 mins, the delay caused by the protests. I posted about him in response to someone saying "what really galls me is how we tend to ignore the big picture and bicker about relative trivialities such as getting to work late".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 02:12 - Apr 20 with 3186 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’ve not read the thread other than the last two or three comments.

My opinion is them people chanting and dancing and protesting whilst blocking off the cars are that they are selfish, entitled ars**oles.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 03:01 - Apr 20 with 3170 viewsBlue_Moses

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:33 - Apr 16 by Ftnfwest

That protest happening in the low emissions zone in central London, in a country responsible for less than a percent of the global CO2 emissions you mean?

Was recently in America, buy two things at a supermarket and they double plastic bag both items. We've got no chance.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:06 - Apr 20 with 3155 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 03:01 - Apr 20 by Blue_Moses

Was recently in America, buy two things at a supermarket and they double plastic bag both items. We've got no chance.

Not if you keep flying to America.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:09 - Apr 20 with 3145 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 03:01 - Apr 20 by Blue_Moses

I thought they used those big old paper bags,like on the popular tv show ‘friends’ in America God bless it.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:45 - Apr 20 with 3107 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:19 - Apr 19 by Ryorry

Trivialise everything I said why don't you.

I was trying to explain how best to get the overwhelming majority of the population onside to vote in politicians who will implement the policies promoting renewables rather than oil, and other policies to slow down climate change. That is not going to happen by alienating people.

Unfortunately your post is a prime example of what I mean - ridiculing what I said, reducing it to a banality is not a good way to get someone on side. Luckily I was already in the campaigning for the environment lobby, and have been for 50 years, so won't be put off continuing that by you or others. Suggest you think about the psychology of how to get people on side and accepting your message a bit more.

And in 50 years things have got much worse. I'm sorry but I don't think political lobbying will work.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:10 - Apr 20 with 3086 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:19 - Apr 19 by SpruceMoose

Oh well. While I don't really understand the sneering at the protesters, I for one am happy that the future climate of the earth is safe in the hands of men posting on the internet rather than people motivated to actually do something.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 22:22]

Well at least that's settled then.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:16 - Apr 20 with 3076 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 02:12 - Apr 20 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve not read the thread other than the last two or three comments.

My opinion is them people chanting and dancing and protesting whilst blocking off the cars are that they are selfish, entitled ars**oles.

You're always on the wrong side, Rommers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:23 - Apr 20 with 3061 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:16 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

You're up early Herby.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:41 - Apr 20 with 3045 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:23 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

You're up early Herby.

It's a lovely day.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:46 - Apr 20 with 3041 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:16 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

A self confessed leftie mind you I think that’s mpre to fit in with the herd on here.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:48 - Apr 20 with 3040 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:46 - Apr 20 by Benters2

A self confessed leftie mind you I think that’s mpre to fit in with the herd on here.

You know nothing about me, or about anything really.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 3041 viewsLord_Lucan

I found this interesting which I just spotted on an aquatic site I frequent. Many years ago I was in the aquatic trade so I have long been well aware of deforestation and in my opinion that is one area that is often overlooked but seems the easiest fix - although it might be a long process.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2018/10/why-borneo-is-centre-stage-on-global-warmin

And as it's a nice day I thought I would share this from my favourite tree hugger - well worth a listen, I recall getting anarchist eco warrior Back to Russia into this.

Be the rain!
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 8:52]

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:51 - Apr 20 with 3038 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:49 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

I found this interesting which I just spotted on an aquatic site I frequent. Many years ago I was in the aquatic trade so I have long been well aware of deforestation and in my opinion that is one area that is often overlooked but seems the easiest fix - although it might be a long process.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2018/10/why-borneo-is-centre-stage-on-global-warmin

And as it's a nice day I thought I would share this from my favourite tree hugger - well worth a listen, I recall getting anarchist eco warrior Back to Russia into this.

Be the rain!
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 8:52]

There's been a lot of press lately around how effective it would be to re-forest on a wide scale. The problem is it's not compatible with a growing population that consumes the way we consume.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:54 - Apr 20 with 3033 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:51 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

There's been a lot of press lately around how effective it would be to re-forest on a wide scale. The problem is it's not compatible with a growing population that consumes the way we consume.

Population worries are a red herring. There are ways of sustainable agriculture that can feed the planet and absorb CO2. It's business interests who won't allow us to break out of our system of agriculture and consumption. With the food waste we already produce enough food to feed the planet and this is with very space inefficient way of growing food.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:55 - Apr 20 with 3029 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:46 - Apr 20 by Benters2

The idea that someone would be a communist to fit in with the herd is hysterical.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:55 - Apr 20 with 3028 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:54 - Apr 20 by BackToRussia

Population worries are a red herring. There are ways of sustainable agriculture that can feed the planet and absorb CO2. It's business interests who won't allow us to break out of our system of agriculture and consumption. With the food waste we already produce enough food to feed the planet and this is with very space inefficient way of growing food.

Hence "that consumes the way we consume". Structural changes are needed.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:00 - Apr 20 with 3020 viewsWeWereZombies

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:43 - Apr 19 by jjblue84

You don’t on a cold still night, look forward to lights out everyone!

Woeful misunderstanding of the technology, you have the ability to log on and write posts on this forum. So you also have the ability to access and read up on the what is happening, take a little time to do that (and give us a break from your trolling):

https://www.scottishrenewables.com/news/museum--shortlisted-sgea18/

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:00 - Apr 20 with 3022 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:55 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

Here's something for you.

Switch your search engine to ecosia... granted its missing a few tools but they have planted 40 million trees from sponsored results

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:01 - Apr 20 with 3018 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:55 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

True, didn't read that properly! It's more about the way we produce though, surely.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:06 - Apr 20 with 3002 viewsPinewoodblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:41 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

It's a lovely day.

Enjoy a benefit of global warming.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:07 - Apr 20 with 2998 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:06 - Apr 20 by Pinewoodblue

Enjoy a benefit of global warming.

You just lost brain cells.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:10 - Apr 20 with 2986 viewsWeWereZombies

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:56 - Apr 19 by Pinewoodblue

You are not being as righteous as you think!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/01/pollutionwatch-wood-burning-

Yeah, I have read that. Consider this though, I am not burning bought in products. I do not have the heating on when I am outside sawing wood (because in true Stig of the Dump stylee I am keeping warm with wood that warms you twice), there are no transport costs involved in getting the wood to the burner, and the ash (now that I do not buy coal it is, thanks to a suggestion this very forum a year or two ago it is potash) goes on the garden for extra fertility. In energy terms I was told by a physics professor some years ago that this method of heating is the most efficient.

I don't feel I was being self-righteous, it is just that I am country boy and look to some of the old ways as treading a lot more lightly on the Earth than town and city living. But well done for remembering where a link was, not so well done for finding a positive to contribute to the thread.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:19 - Apr 20 with 2971 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:23 - Apr 19 by Ryorry

You and a few others simply aren't getting it.

We all want to save poor planet Earth, its humans, animals, vegetation, climate, water and other eco systems. This means getting pretty much everybody on side not only to do their own personal bit by reducing their own carbon footprint, but also to vote in politicians who will implement policies supporting renewables, who will not implement policies favouring gas and oil companies because they have shares in them - etc etc etc.

The way to do that is not to engage in fuzzy, well-meaning demos, which only have the net result of 1) preaching to and pleasing the already converted, which is pointless 2) alienating many of the not-already converted who could justifiably point to the illogicality of the protest, given, eg, the examples of the celebs jetted in, the mountain of plastic bottles left behind etc etc 3) alienating still more by the sheer disruption - medical appointments & job interviews missed, key workers arriving late, etc etc.

As for "it's got everyone talking" - are you (and some others on the thread) seriously saying there were people before these protests who were actually unaware of the crisis humanity is facing re climate change?! And if by some miniscule chance there were, a programme like Attenborough's on BBC1 last night will have done a million times more to get the message across, not just because of the prime-time exposure, but because he & the programme-makers (it was a BBC+OU collaboration) understand the psychology of persuasion - engage with people, gentle them into wanting to do their bit - don't delay them from keeping crucial events in their lives and thereafter expect them to be sympathetic to the cause - human nature just doesn't work like that!

Said this so many times now.

Very well put. Education is the way forward. Even for old farts like me.

Sky News have been banging on about their Ocean Rescue project for two years now and I've learned more about the use of plastic and the damaging effects it's having on marine life . Because of this I've changed my behavior.

As Lucan has said, the UK has lead the way in carbon reductions. The protesters have a) aimed their protest at the wrong people. If taking flights is acceptable in aid of protest then they would have been better off jumping on flights to China and blocking off roads there. b) come up with a list of non realistic and achievable demands. I'd have taken them more seriously if they had come up with practical solutions that are achievable.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024