Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 89550 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 18:04 - Apr 16 with 7495 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 17:58 - Apr 16 by BloomBlue

I was in London this morning and the litter around their camp was disgusting, obviously polluting the earth with litter is acceptable to them

I'll take 'Things that never happened' for 500 please Alex.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 18:05]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:52 - Apr 16 with 7415 viewsbluelagos

https://rebellion.earth/

Easy to sign up to...

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 04:16 - Apr 17 with 7400 viewsRyorry

I'd normally be supporting them all the way, as I care passionately about our environment.

However, I can't support the kind of action they took yesterday - what they don't seem to realise is that it may well have adversely affected innocent people needing to get to medical appointments, funerals, weddings, job interviews, visit sick relatives & other crucial events.

The method makes them irresponsible in the eyes of many, so they may actually have alienated more people than they influenced positively

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:31 - Apr 17 with 7380 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 17:08 - Apr 16 by SpruceMoose

Anyone buying an American motor needs their head examined Benters!

Really? My dream pick up is a Dodge Ram.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:32 - Apr 17 with 7380 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 18:03 - Apr 16 by eireblue

No

I think you will find it has.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:44 - Apr 17 with 7377 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 04:16 - Apr 17 by Ryorry

I'd normally be supporting them all the way, as I care passionately about our environment.

However, I can't support the kind of action they took yesterday - what they don't seem to realise is that it may well have adversely affected innocent people needing to get to medical appointments, funerals, weddings, job interviews, visit sick relatives & other crucial events.

The method makes them irresponsible in the eyes of many, so they may actually have alienated more people than they influenced positively

Yep it’s a mess and those who think they are doing great things by fkn London’s traffic up are pricks.

Nothing like adults showing young children it’s ok to smash building up and paint crap all over them.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:30 - Apr 17 with 7374 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:51 - Apr 16 by MVBlue

Vandalism is never justified, and no doubt the offenders will face punishment as is normal.

Parking a boat on the road however, more justified and statement making.

China is looking to tie up the electric car market (mining sites of elements required) and if there is a greener plane in the future then i'm sure the Chinese will use them. We are leading consumers and where Western trends go, so the East Asians do follow. But we cannot excuse behaviour by pointing at others, such a sad state of affairs.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 15:53]

I don't think that's quite true with regards to the Chinese mining. They control rare earth minerals as the easier sources to mine are in their country. Other sources exist and other technologies are coming through which will try less on those metals.

The point raised was valid. You've made broad statements that China will do this and that without any evidence. The evidence available is that they will build hundreds or coal power stations and airports as was pointed out.

It's an uncomfortable point I'm sure and it doesn't me we shouldn't try in this country but to dismiss it is ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:50 - Apr 17 with 7365 viewsStokieBlue

They certainly have a point although I don't agree that getting arrested and disruption is going to help get the message across. The stated aims are also entirely unrealistic, very good goals but realism is often more effective.

We all need to do more and that very certainly includes me.

For some context:

Return long haul flight to Lima = 3.3t CO2
Annual footprint of a Bolivian = 1.9t CO2

SB
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 7:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:41 - Apr 17 with 7326 viewsGeoffSentence

You need to cause a bit of disruption to get noticed.

Remember when the Gilet Jaunes were kicking off in Paris a few weeks back, rioting and causing mayhem? There were peaceful climate protesters marching across the rest of France at the same time. It was the Gilet Jaunes who got all the column inches and their message that was heard.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:57 - Apr 17 with 7303 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:47 - Apr 16 by WD19

China will build 216 new airports by 2035. We are p!ssing in the wind.

Not a reason not to p!ss, of course, but gives you a sense of scale.

....and saving the planet doesn't need to involve splashing paint on private property.

I have no problem with people protesting against pollution although I doubt a lot of them are that well versed on the issue.

That of course is by the by, if they could do something without endangering lives they would gain some respect from me.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:23 - Apr 17 with 7282 viewsBackToRussia

There won't be any other "crucial events" when we make the planet uninhabitable, will there. Then being late will be impossible. Is that what you want?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:25 - Apr 17 with 7281 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:57 - Apr 17 by Lord_Lucan

I have no problem with people protesting against pollution although I doubt a lot of them are that well versed on the issue.

That of course is by the by, if they could do something without endangering lives they would gain some respect from me.

What lives were endangered? They just blocked off roads.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:37 - Apr 17 with 7272 viewsfloridaboy

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:25 - Apr 17 by BackToRussia

If those idiots are blocking roads, important roads, then emergency vehicles are having to be possibly detoured to get to urgent calls.

Still if those people want to waste a couple of weeks of holiday from work - if many of them work of course - then fine!

Shame they are not clearing up the mess they are creating.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:38 - Apr 17 with 7269 viewsBackToRussia

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:37 - Apr 17 by floridaboy

If those idiots are blocking roads, important roads, then emergency vehicles are having to be possibly detoured to get to urgent calls.

Still if those people want to waste a couple of weeks of holiday from work - if many of them work of course - then fine!

Shame they are not clearing up the mess they are creating.

Yes I'm sure a lot of emergency vehicles choose to go through Oxford Circus.

It's a shame the huge businesses and governments responsible for global warming aren't clearing up their mess.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:42 - Apr 17 with 7263 viewsSteve_M

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:30 - Apr 17 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's quite true with regards to the Chinese mining. They control rare earth minerals as the easier sources to mine are in their country. Other sources exist and other technologies are coming through which will try less on those metals.

The point raised was valid. You've made broad statements that China will do this and that without any evidence. The evidence available is that they will build hundreds or coal power stations and airports as was pointed out.

It's an uncomfortable point I'm sure and it doesn't me we shouldn't try in this country but to dismiss it is ridiculous.

SB

The growth of renewable energy in China is also something to be admired, there are some impressive numbers around for installed capacity which I'll try and find later. It's also becoming clear that growing, more prosperous, Chinese middle class doesn't want to live in cities that are heavily polluted so I think there will be slow progress there too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:28 - Apr 17 with 7231 viewseireblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:32 - Apr 17 by Benters2

I think you will find it has.

No, it hasn’t.

Feel free to publish proof that the climate has “always” changed.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:53 - Apr 17 with 7200 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:28 - Apr 17 by eireblue

No, it hasn’t.

Feel free to publish proof that the climate has “always” changed.

Technically benters is correct.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

“The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era – and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives”.

Humans are responsible for the recent changes to the climate. Scientific evidence proves that since human civilisation began the climate has never risen so rapidly. The speed of recent climate change is entirely our own doing and we need to reverse this trend.

So it’s wrong to say the climate hasn’t always changed.

But be warned folks. Whenever the climate has changed adversely in the past it has resulted in extinction. We are speeding up our own extinction so we should all be doing something to ensure we put that day off.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 10:11]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:06 - Apr 17 with 7190 viewsfloridaboy

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:38 - Apr 17 by BackToRussia

Yes I'm sure a lot of emergency vehicles choose to go through Oxford Circus.

It's a shame the huge businesses and governments responsible for global warming aren't clearing up their mess.

Really!

Bet many of those litter throwing 'protesters' drive diesel cars and travel in diesel powered coaches to get from A to B.

Lets hope some don't forget to sign on to get their benefits!
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:20 - Apr 17 with 7178 viewsbluelagos

Those getting the hump over blocked roads, disruption etc...

2 questions.

What effective alternative to direct action would you propose to these protesters?

You think not disrupting traffic, people"s lves is more important than not destroying our planet?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:26 - Apr 17 with 7164 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:23 - Apr 17 by BackToRussia

There won't be any other "crucial events" when we make the planet uninhabitable, will there. Then being late will be impossible. Is that what you want?

That's a false argument - there are other, better ways of getting the message across without causing serious harm right now to innocent people. And as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the method they chose is actually counterproductive in the long run, tho there's no way of proving that of course.

I doubt there are many out there who don't know about the issue anyway. It's global corps and politicians the protesters need to be targeting, not innocent people.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:28 - Apr 17 with 7163 viewsbluelagos

Sometimez the ends justifies the means. E. G. The suffragettes, black civil rights campaigners...

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:30 - Apr 17 with 7157 viewsMVBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:25 - Apr 17 by BackToRussia

I wonder if some of you simply knocking the protesters realise how National Parks came to be establised in this country?

The Kinder Scout Mass Trespass of 1932 protesting the struggle for public access to private land. They were stopped by the local police force and five were subsequently jailed for breach of the peace and unlawful assembly. As public awareness of the campaign increased, its popularity grew and more and more people became involved.

A National Parks Commission was established in July 1945, under the chairmanship of Sir Arthur Hobhouse, and in 1949, the National Parks and Countryside Act was passed by Parliament. In 1951, the UK’s first national park — the Peak District — was formally born. So you see, protest is sometimes necessary.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/nature/2017/04/mass-trespass-opened-gates-c

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:31 - Apr 17 with 7156 viewseireblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:53 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

Technically benters is correct.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

“The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era – and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives”.

Humans are responsible for the recent changes to the climate. Scientific evidence proves that since human civilisation began the climate has never risen so rapidly. The speed of recent climate change is entirely our own doing and we need to reverse this trend.

So it’s wrong to say the climate hasn’t always changed.

But be warned folks. Whenever the climate has changed adversely in the past it has resulted in extinction. We are speeding up our own extinction so we should all be doing something to ensure we put that day off.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 10:11]

Technically he is wrong.

And you have made my point.

For instance the climate in the Cretaceous period was consistent for a good few millions of years.
Unfortunately an external event resulted in a sudden and dramatic change.

It is wrong to say climate always changes.

It is correct to say, the climate will change based on certain circumstances that create a change in the current equilibrium.

The climate doesn't just "always" change.

That is the lazy line that is used by people that try and deny that humans cause climate change.

Climate is changed by events.

Humans burning millions of years of stored energy in a 10's of years is the current event.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:31 - Apr 17 with 7155 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:50 - Apr 17 by StokieBlue

They certainly have a point although I don't agree that getting arrested and disruption is going to help get the message across. The stated aims are also entirely unrealistic, very good goals but realism is often more effective.

We all need to do more and that very certainly includes me.

For some context:

Return long haul flight to Lima = 3.3t CO2
Annual footprint of a Bolivian = 1.9t CO2

SB
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 7:22]

Surely their getti g arrested already has got their point across?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:32 - Apr 17 with 7153 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:28 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Sometimez the ends justifies the means. E. G. The suffragettes, black civil rights campaigners...

I just saw one of their spokesmen on the box ten minutes ago. He said one of their demands is to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025 which involves an end to air travel for holidays and commerce plus a meat free society.

How is your holiday and have you sampled any of the local cuisine ;-)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024