Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 90049 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:34 - Apr 17 with 4177 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:30 - Apr 17 by MVBlue

I wonder if some of you simply knocking the protesters realise how National Parks came to be establised in this country?

The Kinder Scout Mass Trespass of 1932 protesting the struggle for public access to private land. They were stopped by the local police force and five were subsequently jailed for breach of the peace and unlawful assembly. As public awareness of the campaign increased, its popularity grew and more and more people became involved.

A National Parks Commission was established in July 1945, under the chairmanship of Sir Arthur Hobhouse, and in 1949, the National Parks and Countryside Act was passed by Parliament. In 1951, the UK’s first national park — the Peak District — was formally born. So you see, protest is sometimes necessary.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/nature/2017/04/mass-trespass-opened-gates-c

I'd fully have supported that, because it was hardly disruptive out on the moors to anyone except those who were actually the target of the protesters though was it?! so I rest my case.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:36 - Apr 17 with 4174 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:32 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

I just saw one of their spokesmen on the box ten minutes ago. He said one of their demands is to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025 which involves an end to air travel for holidays and commerce plus a meat free society.

How is your holiday and have you sampled any of the local cuisine ;-)

I'm happy to wager you my carbon footprint the past 3 months is lower than anyone else's on this board...

And from someone who sells holidays for a living😊

You make a valid point though, we all need to consider how we Impact the environment...

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:44 - Apr 17 with 4155 viewsflimflam

As soon as they start smashing things up and impacting ordinary peoples lives then they lose any credit with me.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:44 - Apr 17 with 4128 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:36 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

I'm happy to wager you my carbon footprint the past 3 months is lower than anyone else's on this board...

You make a valid point though, we all need to consider how we Impact the environment...

The point I’m making is that this protest isn’t about making people aware of climate change or how we can reduce our carbon footprint. We can all do more in that respect. Cycle mire rather than make unnecessary car journeys. Buy our apples loose from a greengrocer rather than six Granny Smiths in vacuum packed plastic from Tesco’s. Recycle our rubbish.

But this protest is being organised by militants and their “demands” would put an end to foreign holidays, meat eating etc.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:50 - Apr 17 with 4136 viewsNo9

Oh, you've started somethign now = were doing our bit it's someone else who isn't.
As an example; we're doing our bit others aren't without mentioning that, instead of dealing with our own rubbish we were stuffing it in conatiners & sending from Felixstowe to China where we don't know what happened to it - maybe it got dumped in the sea??
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:50 - Apr 17 with 4136 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:44 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

The point I’m making is that this protest isn’t about making people aware of climate change or how we can reduce our carbon footprint. We can all do more in that respect. Cycle mire rather than make unnecessary car journeys. Buy our apples loose from a greengrocer rather than six Granny Smiths in vacuum packed plastic from Tesco’s. Recycle our rubbish.

But this protest is being organised by militants and their “demands” would put an end to foreign holidays, meat eating etc.

Maybe we should stop eating meat, taking foreign holidays?

*if that's what's needed...

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:54 - Apr 17 with 4128 viewsNo9

MIne is pretty low=
I haven't flown anywhere
I hav not driven any more than 50 miles
My wife grows most of our F&V - we may have some new potatoes from the garden for easter
We buy eggs from abloke in the next parish
We have solar panels which generate more energy than we consume
Etc. etc.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:58 - Apr 17 with 4124 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:54 - Apr 17 by No9

MIne is pretty low=
I haven't flown anywhere
I hav not driven any more than 50 miles
My wife grows most of our F&V - we may have some new potatoes from the garden for easter
We buy eggs from abloke in the next parish
We have solar panels which generate more energy than we consume
Etc. etc.

Be interesting to do it properly.

Offsetting my 1 longhaul flight is not using a car, not using any heating and only eating local produce.

Not seen any imported foods in SA at all and the markets are everywhere...

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:02 - Apr 17 with 4115 viewsNo9

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:58 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Be interesting to do it properly.

Offsetting my 1 longhaul flight is not using a car, not using any heating and only eating local produce.

Not seen any imported foods in SA at all and the markets are everywhere...

"Not seen any imported foods in SA at all and the markets are everywhere..."

It will be a long time before the Uk get anywhere near that & not just because of the climate advantage SA has.

In the UK there is more money to be made from importing and re-selling.
This was encouraged in the 80;s as part of the cgrowth of Corproate UK
When farmers asked what they should do with the spare land they were told ' build golf courses' & they did - everywhere.

Change will be a long time coming
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:08 - Apr 17 with 4104 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:02 - Apr 17 by No9

"Not seen any imported foods in SA at all and the markets are everywhere..."

It will be a long time before the Uk get anywhere near that & not just because of the climate advantage SA has.

In the UK there is more money to be made from importing and re-selling.
This was encouraged in the 80;s as part of the cgrowth of Corproate UK
When farmers asked what they should do with the spare land they were told ' build golf courses' & they did - everywhere.

Change will be a long time coming

Saw the same when I worked in Kenya, local markets where 99% of what people ate had travelled less than 20 miles...

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:12 - Apr 17 with 4097 viewschicoazul

Maybe these climate change protesters need to do something really radical like bombing a leading politician's house. There are statues to suffragettes all over the place nowadays after all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:32 - Apr 17 with 4059 viewsNo9

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:30 - Apr 17 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's quite true with regards to the Chinese mining. They control rare earth minerals as the easier sources to mine are in their country. Other sources exist and other technologies are coming through which will try less on those metals.

The point raised was valid. You've made broad statements that China will do this and that without any evidence. The evidence available is that they will build hundreds or coal power stations and airports as was pointed out.

It's an uncomfortable point I'm sure and it doesn't me we shouldn't try in this country but to dismiss it is ridiculous.

SB

The Chinese have started to see the error of their ways haven't they?
Stopping the import of others rubbish
Buying French technology for Nuclear power
Putting out letters of interested suppliers for Wind farms

If you watched F1 you will have seen the extent of the dirty air
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:16 - Apr 17 with 4041 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:42 - Apr 17 by Steve_M

The growth of renewable energy in China is also something to be admired, there are some impressive numbers around for installed capacity which I'll try and find later. It's also becoming clear that growing, more prosperous, Chinese middle class doesn't want to live in cities that are heavily polluted so I think there will be slow progress there too.

Indeed, they lead the world in renewables, unfortunately they need so much energy they also lead in polluting energy generation.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:24 - Apr 17 with 4037 viewsStokieBlue

Your footprint undoubtedly is lower for the last 3 months in domestic consumption however once you factor in a long haul return flight to south America is nearly 40% the average UK carbon footprint for a year I don't think the lower holiday consumption offsets it enough.

Doesn't mean people shouldn't travel, I'm sure it's showed you why it's worth saving these delicate environments and I certainly can't criticise people for carbon footprints. It just shows that the aim of 0 CO2 by 2025, 6 years, it's feasible.

SB
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 13:28]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:35 - Apr 17 with 4021 viewsNo9

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:08 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Saw the same when I worked in Kenya, local markets where 99% of what people ate had travelled less than 20 miles...

I understand several African countries are now sulf sufficient in foodstuffs
Chad, Cameroon et al?
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:13 - Apr 17 with 3963 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:40 - Apr 17 with 3928 viewsXYZ

"Buy our apples loose from a greengrocer rather than six Granny Smiths in vacuum packed plastic from Tesco’s. Recycle our rubbish."

Do you talk to your kids about this subject?

The protest is about "wake the f*ck up you idiots"
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:59 - Apr 17 with 3918 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:40 - Apr 17 by XYZ

"Buy our apples loose from a greengrocer rather than six Granny Smiths in vacuum packed plastic from Tesco’s. Recycle our rubbish."

Do you talk to your kids about this subject?

The protest is about "wake the f*ck up you idiots"

I think pretty much most kids are aware of it tbh. It's getting big business, global corps & politicians with the power to actually do something about it, take meaningful action, that's the problem. That includes not just us in the UK but globally - Trump, the USA, S. America, India etc etc etc. Don't think the Paris Agreement is anywhere near meeting the goals set is it?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 00:08 - Apr 18 with 3903 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:59 - Apr 17 by Ryorry

I think pretty much most kids are aware of it tbh. It's getting big business, global corps & politicians with the power to actually do something about it, take meaningful action, that's the problem. That includes not just us in the UK but globally - Trump, the USA, S. America, India etc etc etc. Don't think the Paris Agreement is anywhere near meeting the goals set is it?

AOC and friends are getting a lot of traction in the US with the "Green New Deal". We need a Brit version of her. I think we're heading the right way and Extinction Rebellion are going to play an important part.

It's a fairly literal name ffs.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 00:17 - Apr 18 with 3890 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:32 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

I just saw one of their spokesmen on the box ten minutes ago. He said one of their demands is to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025 which involves an end to air travel for holidays and commerce plus a meat free society.

How is your holiday and have you sampled any of the local cuisine ;-)

Maybe we shouldn't be cutting down 'the lungs of the Earth' rainforests if we're going to take it seriously.

It all feels like pissing in the wind. That obviously doesn't mean we shouldn't try and some meat free days is a good place to start. Not sure how much good these extreme groups have. I know it's a massive issue but I wonder if it would be better to encourage people to do meat free Monday etc for an actual reason and just gradually increase what is asked of people.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:45 - Apr 18 with 3856 viewswitchdoctor

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:31 - Apr 17 by Benters2

Really? My dream pick up is a Dodge Ram.

see your stalker aka fartual blue doesn’t approve ..😂
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 06:59 - Apr 18 with 3845 viewsgordon

Just to be clear, the current trajectory we're on is for runaway warming with the melting of the Arctic permafrost, which will cause ecosystems breaking down on a massive scale, and make human life quite unpleasant for the majority.

Individuals making small behavioural changes regarding packaging or recycling isn't going to change that in any meangingful way (except to signal to politicians and business that they need to do more).

Describing these protestors as 'militant' because they don't want to see these massive negative impacts on ecosystems and species, and the associated impacts on humankind isn't the kind of statement that's going to age well if TWTD is still around in 50 years.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:07 - Apr 18 with 3834 viewsfooters

Some responses to this here and elsewhere have been unbelievable. Why are people clutching at any available straw to try and delegitimise protests about the single most important issue to mankind?

'How many would there have been if it weren't a school holiday?', 'That isn't the point of these protests', 'They're militants', etc.

Anyway, you're all talking about it so guess it's worked!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:12 - Apr 18 with 3822 viewsgordon

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:07 - Apr 18 by footers

Some responses to this here and elsewhere have been unbelievable. Why are people clutching at any available straw to try and delegitimise protests about the single most important issue to mankind?

'How many would there have been if it weren't a school holiday?', 'That isn't the point of these protests', 'They're militants', etc.

Anyway, you're all talking about it so guess it's worked!

Agreed. The protests may be poorly thought out of course - targeting public transport doesn't make much sense, and gluing yourself to Jeremy Corbyn's garden also doesn't really hit the spot for me.

But, it is the time for disruptive protest - the idea most people have that this is about recycling more or putting in low-energy lightbulbs needs to be binned off pretty quickly.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 7:12]
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:17 - Apr 18 with 3811 viewsOxford_Blue

It will achieve nothing.

Unless the developing economies and those like China and India change, then we are heading for disaster. They won’t change.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024